• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fascinatingly Lost in Translation.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I love and hate when this happens, but it happens when dubbing an anime to any language, really. What do you feel was "lost in translation" between the Japanese version and the dub? (Also, special shoutout to that one dub where Hapinny is male, which was incorrectly translated.)

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Some of what gets lost in translation is character personalities. Ash and Satoshi are different in some ways, and I do remember the dub actively changing Dent's script a lot and cutting out some of his lines, so Cilan was actually fairly boring in comparison to Dent. Also, also of the jokes have to change and some of them when remade for the English audience kinda.. don't make as much sense, and then it's awkward.

Years
Can I like go off topic but still kinda be on topic and nag about the sub?

I'm gonna pretend you said, "Sure, go ahead."

When I first started watching the subbed version of pokemon, I was very excited. I thought to myself, "Goodbye bad voice acting, hellow perfect japanese acting!"
But then I was... how do I put this. I was pretty underwelmed.

As far as the voice acting goes, it was just okay. So when it comes to English to japanese there wasn't much change at all. Since all thing considered, the voice acting for Kalos in English has been pretty decent.

Hmm, I guess that was more of a dub to sub comment then something lost in translation...

Another thing I noticed was just how different the pokemon names were. Like whoa, who's that pokemon? I'm pretty sure that's not it's name, but it is it's name. Then I panic and think, "Oh gawd, am I gonna have to learn them over again?" But then I see that Pikachu is still pikachu and I chillax.

I used to hear all the time that May had a crush on Satoshi in the japanese version, but for some reason or another it was edited out of the english version. Though while I haven't seen the subbed version to the Hoenn section of the anime(Despite like hours of search) I can't really say for sure if it's true or not. But it makes me wonder why they would change it. Did May get pervy on us with her crush? If so why is Serena the one being portrayed as a stalker and not May? Did May even have a crush on Ash or am I just doing a pointless rant about nothing?

The peep above made a point about jokes being changed, and while I would agree with that as japan tends to like it's puns and those don't tend to cary well across languages. I don't see how it would matter as jokes like that wouldn't really come across in a subbed version either. Sometimes the translator is kind and includes a little thing at the top of the screen to explain the joke, but often times when it comes to jokes that don't translate well I tend to not notice unless they're pointed out to me.

Hmm, in the japanese version, they call Nurse Joy, Joy-san.
I'm not sure if Japanese people don't have an honorific for Nurse or something, But I do know they use Sensei for doctor and lawyers, not just teachers. I guess I'd just assumed it would be the same for nurses. I was pretty surpries that her name was still Joy as well :0

{XD} The hair on top of Joy may change, but the heart inside remains the same {XD}

I've run ut of things to say, I hope I actually managed to add something instead of waste your time. Peace out, bruh.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
I find Jenny's Japanese name to be lost in translation. Her name, Junsaa, is almost the same as the lowest police rank in Japan Junsa. Which I find quite funny, seeing Jenny is often seen in charge of other Police Officers.

Also, if I may distract to Czech dub, I have to mention how in seasons 10 and 11 they often translated Abilities as Attack, which caused a lot of confusion among viewers. This was fixed in season 12 onwards, but the translation kept inconsistent.
Also in Czech dub, they consistently referred Ash's/Dawn's Aipom/Ambipom as male, even tough they already had to know it's female. They were so consistent in this, that in Battling The Generation Gap! they changed Lila's Delcaty, who infatuated Ambipom, to female to keep Ambipom male. I know this is more like dub change than case of "lost in translation", but still it bothered me a lot back then.

I used to hear all the time that May had a crush on Satoshi in the japanese version, but for some reason or another it was edited out of the english version. Though while I haven't seen the subbed version to the Hoenn section of the anime(Despite like hours of search) I can't really say for sure if it's true or not. But it makes me wonder why they would change it. Did May get pervy on us with her crush? If so why is Serena the one being portrayed as a stalker and not May? Did May even have a crush on Ash or am I just doing a pointless rant about nothing?
AFAIK May did not have crush on Ash in Japanese version. However, if she had, I can imagine why that would be edited out of dub by 4Kids, who pushed PokéShipping where it could :P Which is probably why you heard that, but all my knowledge says it's false.

Back