• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Fan Club

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Except, in a way, the scene was. "Derpy" is used in an offensive manner to mock people with disabilities. People with disabilities were offended by it, even though other people might not have seen it. Between the name, the voice (which the voice actor based on a boy with mental disabilities), and the way that Dash treated her (bullying her) made the scene offensive. Particularly the last part, since there shouldn't be any bullying of anyone in a show about friendship, especially from a main character that little children look up to.

As Hasbro said.

"The 'My Little Pony Friendship is Magic' series has always been about acceptance and inclusion, and the series strives to convey that through the playful antics of a diverse cast of characters," Hasbro spokeswoman Nicole Angello told us over email. "Some viewers felt that aspects of the episode 'The Last Roundup' did not stay true to the core message of friendship which is the heart and soul of the series. Hasbro Studios decided to make slight audio alterations to this single episode."

As for Bubblecup's new voice, I love it. She's got more attitude, more sarcasm to it. She seems to be trolling Dash now.

I still wish the scene had been kept the way it was originally written. As Rogers explains in her letter:

The scene I wrote was originally longer and had a flashback explaining exactly what Ditzy Doo had done to damage Town Hall. She and Rainbow Dash were "Bucking Bolts" out of the clouds during a storm. Ditzy Doo was bucking too close to Ponyville central. Rainbow kept trying to yell over the noisy bucking for Ditzy to move away from town. But Ditzy could not hear her and thought that Rainbow was complimenting her for her great buck bolting. Ditzy then hit Town Hall with a bolt. And, thus, the damage.

That works a lot better than how the original scene went.

As for the bronies reactions to the change and to the people who voiced their concerns over the original scene, it's actually extremely frightening how much violence is directed towards people. I've seen a lot of threats coming from bronies over this. It's rather disturbing.

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
Years
As for the bronies reactions to the change and to the people who voiced their concerns over the original scene, it's actually extremely frightening how much violence is directed towards people. I've seen a lot of threats coming from bronies over this. It's rather disturbing.

It's some bronies that give the whole fanbase a bad name. Not every brony is like that, some just love the show, and don't try to constantly stir up trouble like this.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years

It's some bronies that give the whole fanbase a bad name. Not every brony is like that, some just love the show, and don't try to constantly stir up trouble like this.
It's the way people acted in the Derpy situation is why I'm ashamed to call myself a brony( sort of condratictory to my sign-up thing I know). I guess I'm one of those bronies mainly who just enjoy the show. There are some aspects of the fanbase I'm ok with,but most of it like the perverted stuff disgusts me.

I was pretty calm during the Derpy thing. I don't really like her new voice, but after reading the letters from Hasbro and the writer, I can understand and accept it more.

I don't have a lot of time today so I'll just say this: Happy Derpy Day! (google it)
Happy Derpy Day to you too and to everypony of course!

Last edited:

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
Years
It's the way people acted in the Derpy situation is why I'm ashamed to call myself a brony( sort of condratictory to my sign-up thing I know). I guess I'm one of those bronies mainly who just enjoy the show.

Yeah, sometimes I feel that way too. I get constantly disgusted at the actions that some bronies do, and they always do stuff that just sickens me.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I've got time now. ^_^

Yeah, sometimes I feel that way too. I get constantly disgusted at the actions that some bronies do, and they always do stuff that just sickens me.

I agree. Unfortunately, my sister judges ALL bronies (and furries too) only by the bad examples. Most bronies are good people!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
That's why I ignore fandom half the time haha. Or rather I stick to where the fandom is good such as this place. When it concerns Derpy Hooves/Ditsy Doo I'm not surprised it was altered and it's a bit sad in some of the reactions you get from bronys (which is why I'd like to say that I like the show but not a brony). My friend was very upset about the whole Derpy alteration things and the best I could do without offending him or anything was to say 'well it happened so we'll just have to deal with it'. I'm curious to hear her new voice though as I didn't like her old one at all.

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
Years
I was totally against giving Derpy a much bigger role. She was born off being an "Easter Egg", then turned into a "Where's Waldo?" kind of character. Now, they wanted to take all the fun out of looking for her, and they tried to make her a mane pony?

They should've stopped at "Where's Waldo?", because I think, if they did, I don't think all this backlash would've come. (But, yes, I know. Someone would still probably find a way to be offended by it.)

Maraala

a fiery passion
Years
Whoa, haven't been here in forever.

My thoughts about the Derpy being canon and all? tbh I'm completely sick and tired of it all to where I just don't care about it. All the bronies over on Google+ keeps erupting about it every time something about it pops up. TTnTT

Years
I've been falling out of my MLP addiction lately; thought I skipped a few episodes but then found out they're on break until tomorrow so yay.

aaaand Personally I'm glad about the Derpy change. Given the offensiveness of what was being portrayed it was only a matter of time before something was done. I dislike the general brony fandom and tend to stay away from it (but continue to share my like of the show in places where the "saner" part of the fandom exists, for lack of better wording) so their reactions over this is even more disheartening. Honestly I'm glad I deleted my MLP bookmarks folder a few weeks back as I'm sure the fans' complaints over this mess are still echoing throughout sites like the My Little Brony branch on memebase (which I used to check daily).

Victini

Oh please, please, may I join too? I love FiM ~ !

- Favorite Episode: Ooh, I haven't decided that yet...

- Favorite Main Pony: Applejack & Rainbow Dash

- Favorite Side Pony: Derp-Derp-Derpy~!

- About Me: I w-was also a bit weary of FiM when it was first released... I was a very big fan of the old MLP series when it was still very young and new. I wasn't sure, what with the new style and take on MLP, how well FiM would live up to it... but it has far exceeded all of my expectations, and I haven't loved MLP more than I do now... ♥

Last edited:

Victini

I'm a bit late on the topic, but I hope it's okay for me to give my own thoughts about Derpy's new role...

I've never before seen a case come out full-blown like Derpy's. She began as an animation mistake. Then as she was noticed by the fans, they began to do it on purpose... and put her out to be spotted for fun by everyone. Then gradually she appeared more often doing something rather than standing out in the background...

She was lovingly deemed Derpy Hooves by the fans... and just last night I witnessed something I never thought I would..

When Dash called her Derpy, my heart skipped. And when Derpy spoke, it skipped again. I couldn't believe t-that they really actually made what was to be just a regular side pony, something of a fan-made character! I honestly haven't been more ecstatic about the show since... I've never seen fanservice be direct. Usually it's very subtle... but that was an outright hat-tip to the fans of MLP. I never fell into the love for Derpy when she was just a funny little "Where's Waldo?" type of pony... but then she was given that name officially, and received a character of her own similar to fan portrayal.. ♥

I look at Derpy as a symbol of love from the creators of MLP to their fans.

I don't know about the controversy surrounding Derpy... Derpy is a very lovable character to me. To me she made disabilities similar to hers very endearing. As for Dash purposely bullying Derpy around, as I understand it, I don't see it that way. Dash has a very irritable nature, even towards her own friends... she didn't tease Derpy any more than she has another pony. Derpy was also originally intended to be extremely clumsy and accident-prone... her original name was Ditzy Doo afterall. ^^ Derpy itself as a name wasn't offensive until Dash said it... it was fine when it was just a fan-made thing.. I can't really understand how that works. I can see how Derpy may be a heavy trigger, but I don't personally feel anyone should take her existence as offensive for all of the above opinions...

Derpy is a very wonderful character thus far, and I wish to see more of her with a role! ... If she doesn't get censored completely that is...

Last edited:

~Ryukaa

total nerd
Years
I didn't really care for the episode. I just hate when the writers milk a particular facet of a pony's personality. Like Dashie's arrogance and spotlight-seeking, and now Fluttershy's meekness and shyness.

It's all character development, really. I thought this episode worked really well. Very enjoyable. Even with Rainbow Dash, it wasn't really milking. That's my opinion, anyway.

And on the Derpy topic, I was one of those people who were overjoyed about her talking. I didn't find her offensive myself, but people are entitled to their own views and opinions, and I can see how people find her offensive. /shrugs
It's just something that happens in society.

Sweet Visions

..is cool!
Years
Today's episode was pretty decent. I thought Fluttershy was amusing and it was cool to see Pinkie and Rarity hanging out. It's funny how Fluttershy was so critical of those two though when she just spends her time messing around with animals who probably don't even need her.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
The episode on the whole was kinda bleh. Fluttershy starts off to shy, becomes too aggressive and then becomes juuuuuuust right. Saw it coming a mile off. Although it did give us Pinkie's homage to the classic Looney Tunes short Rabbit Fire, which elevated the episode somewhat:

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Yeah, the recent episode was all right to me. I liked it better than the last one, and I like the lessons more of this episode. Particularly that "no means no" part.

What I like the most about the episode was that it seemed to reveal that Ponyville tends to go to extremes when there's a need for it. In the Mare-Do-Well episode, Ponyville was full of danger. In this Fluttershy episode, everyone was a massive jerk. I find that amusing about the place.

And also I like Angel Bunny being a jerk as well. I didn't like him slapping Fluttershy and getting away with it, but him being picky and spoiled about his dinner was adorable.

The video that Jon posted just adds more evidence to the theory that Pinkie Pie is very Looney-Toon-ish.

Back