• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Multiple forums.

Crystalanachrony

ℱ a e r i e . ℚ u e e n
Years
How do you all feel about representing your fics on multiple forums, if you're involved with them? One option is to post chapters simultaneously on multiple places; another to put the 'first draft' of a fic someplace, go back and edit it, and then put it somewhere else. (And, of course, there's always the option of POSTING NOWHERE BUT POKÉCOMMUNITY, MUAHAHA.) So what's your preferred way of spreading the love?

dudebot

Glowing Yellow
Years
Honestly, I like to think I'm endearing myself to Pokecommunity, by making any and all the stories I post here exclusive PC content, lol.

Though, there's nothing that bothers me about posting on multiple forums. When you write stories, naturally, you want people to read them. The more forums, the more people. Simple as that.

Crystalanachrony

ℱ a e r i e . ℚ u e e n
Years
This is true, but it also could make you seem like you're fishing for commenters or reviewers, by cross-posting the same content to three different forums.

dudebot

Glowing Yellow
Years
This is true, but it also could make you seem like you're fishing for commenters or reviewers, by cross-posting the same content to three different forums.

Well, technically, we're all fishing for commenters and reviews. We just all go about it differently. I want people to review and comment on my thread, but I lack any kind of gully to drag them to it or make it hard to miss. Some people will post the same story in different forums. Some people will post the same story in the same forum. Some will advertise their story in every single thread they post in.

Ironically enough, the deeper the degree of your advertisement, the more you turn people away from it. However, in the end, we all want the same thing.

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
Ironically enough, the deeper the degree of your advertisement, the more you turn people away from it. However, in the end, we all want the same thing.

So what would you recommend to help with that? Advertising just sounds like a dirty word to me but at the same time if no one comments or reviews, how will anyone ever get better?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
You can advertise. The advice that I always seem to read about advertising is having a link in your signature (with perhaps a decent banner) and just being active around the writing section. If you're posting to discussion threads or reviewing other people's work, others will see that you mean to stick around and will check out your story to see how it is based on the advice you give.

Just don't be like the people who come into every discussion/other stories only talking about your story. That gets obnoxious really fast and will turn people away from reading your stories. Just keep things on the downlow when it comes to advertising your story and that will hopefully work.

And, to remind people, just know that each writing community is different. For instance, SPPf seems to have a team of dedicated people to review fanfics, no matter who posts them. PC, on the other hand, is exceptionally slow when it comes to reviewing. (But that's hopefully going to change when I have some decent time on my hands.)

To answer the question posed by the OP, I only post my fanfics on PC. For one thing, this is the only forum I'm comfortable sharing my work with it, because I know the people here and how they will react. The other reason is because PC is the only forum I'm dedicated to helping the fanfiction section of, so posting my stories here helps do that.

There's nothing wrong with sharing your stories on other forums. It's a great way to get a variety of feedback, due to different people being active on different forums. The opinions of those here on PC could vary wildly from those on SPPf and BMGf, and the author gets a good idea of what really works in their story and what really doesn't.

dudebot

Glowing Yellow
Years
So what would you recommend to help with that? Advertising just sounds like a dirty word to me but at the same time if no one comments or reviews, how will anyone ever get better?

You can advertise. The advice that I always seem to read about advertising is having a link in your signature (with perhaps a decent banner) and just being active around the writing section. If you're posting to discussion threads or reviewing other people's work, others will see that you mean to stick around and will check out your story to see how it is based on the advice you give.

Just don't be like the people who come into every discussion/other stories only talking about your story. That gets obnoxious really fast and will turn people away from reading your stories. Just keep things on the downlow when it comes to advertising your story and that will hopefully work.

Pretty much this. No matter how you advertise, the only thing that really matters is who you advertise to. People will come if they want something interesting to read. Just make sure you like your story and summary, your title and your pitch. Post it in the sig and hope for a clicking. Patience is keen.

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I think I understand a lot more and appreciate the pass down of knowledge.

Back