• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Noob solution!!!

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
Years
Ok is it jus me or does most of the posts started in the emulation section have lots of people not reading the rules and making threads that are against the rules so ive came up with well a bit of a solution:

maybe make it so you have to post on a number of posts before you can make a thread therefore they would see how a thread should be set out before they make a thread for there hack/game.

what do you think would this work, got some ideas on how to improve this or just some opinion on it then please reply, Thanks

~kian

Melody

Banned
Years
Well, in theory, your idea works. However, most people would not like that, because unlike some forums we want our ROM Hacking/Discussion forums to thrive. If we institute a minimum post limit for posts in ROM hacking, it may cause n00bs to spam in other forums in order to gain post count.

Sadly the ROM Hacking forums are what they are, and the only simple solution would be to recruit an entire team of moderators for that specific subsection. This solution itself, presents problems because they do more extensive checking on potential moderator canidates. (In other words, there is no fast track to mod-ship! despite some people appearing to have been modded early...in these cases, most likely the user has more experience that is unknown to the greater part of PC)

Years
Additionally, this would exclude and alienate those members who have little to no posts so far, but are perfectly able to follow a simple set of rules. That sort of thing would discourage members who you could easily argue are more... desired than some, shall we say.

.Seth

.explorer.
Years
Well, in theory, your idea works. However, most people would not like that, because unlike some forums we want our ROM Hacking/Discussion forums to thrive. If we institute a minimum post limit for posts in ROM hacking, it may cause n00bs to spam in other forums in order to gain post count.
You forget that they spam already.

Additionally, this would exclude and alienate those members who have little to no posts so far, but are perfectly able to follow a simple set of rules. That sort of thing would discourage members who you could easily argue are more... desired than some, shall we say.

Well, by your example of "members with hardly any posts but follow rules", then they only post in the ROM Hacking/Emulation section, apparently. If you post a bit outside of that section, it's not very hard to get into a few discussions. Also, if they're desirable members, wouldn't they post a good few posts before "This is my hack, Pokemon: _____"? And if they're going to get discouraged by having to post a few posts, then I wouldn't want them in ROM Hacking anyway. I'd rather have someone with an actual work ethic that does what they need to in the correct way than a discouraged n00b.

Also, is say 15 or 20 posts really that hard to obtain?

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
I think that a test would be a much better idea than this, but even then that is a flawed idea in itself. There will still be morons without two brain cells to rub together running around, regardless of their post count. Putting a cap on an easy to reach limit won't require too much effort, and setting the bar too high will make people shy away from here even more. Besides, your post count doesn't always state that you know the rules.
I mean, just look at >this< guy.

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
Years
of course it dosnt but it would make sure the person had seen a thread to know what it looks like :P so the person knows what its supposed to be, maybe instead of this idea you cant make the thread unless you have read the rules or something :?

Guy

just a guy
Years
of course it dosnt but it would make sure the person had seen a thread to know what it looks like :P so the person knows what its supposed to be, maybe instead of this idea you cant make the thread unless you have read the rules or something :?
This is the interenet, anyone can easily say they read the rules yet really ignored it completely.

Amu

remember who the real enemy is
Years
Maybe you can put the threads on moderator approval...? Unless it is already then..

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
Years
No not by saying they have read em make it unable to make a thread without clicking on the rules

Last edited:

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
Years
I think people are making too big of a deal with noobs. This is a forum, there will always be noobs and people who dont follow the rules. This is why we have the staff to take care of them. If the post doesnt make any sense or is irrelevant to the thread, the mod will take care of it. There are two moderators in the Emulation forum and I dont see any visible overthrow of noobs so they're pretty much doing a bang on job.

Guy

just a guy
Years
No not say not lt them make it unable to make a thread without clicking on the rules
The same rules apply, anyone can click on a link or the rules for that matter, but still not read them regardless. Like mentioned, before one can post a ROM Hack, it must have approval by the moderator(s) of that section before it is visible.

I'm not sure how wide spread this rule applies to the section as a whole, but there will always be noobs or new forum members join the site and make those incorrect threads and/or posts. Again, that is why there are moderators for that section, as well as other sections of the forum, to take care of this problem. As for a member who visits the section, that is what a report button is for to notify the staff of that section or higher that something needs to be taken care of whether it is spam, a thread that needs closing, etc.

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
Years
@Mizaki ok but the mods must get anoyed by finding all the posts with basicallly nothing on them :???

@HIRRO well even if it dosnt stop all noobs but could stop some of them

PS: i hope people wont get offended by the word noob it just helps to make it plural ;)

Guy

just a guy
Years
@Mizaki ok but the mods must get anoyed by finding all the posts with basicallly nothing on them :???
Considering there is more than one moderator in that section, then the work needed for the Emulation section can easily be divided equally amongst themselves. The job of a moderator is to take care of their section of the forum regardless of the amount of work needed to be done. So, whether they get annoyed or not, it is their responsibility to keep their sections clean.

@HIRRO well even if it dosnt stop all noobs but could stop some of them
All or some, the basic point is there will always be noobs (if this is what you wish to call them). :\

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
Years
yes of course there will still be noobs but we can stop them posting these empty threads So people would not get annoyed

and yes there are a lot of mods but what your saying is well heres an example you have the chance from stopping theft yet you dont because we have the police to lock them up???

Bad example :)

Guy

just a guy
Years
As for a member who visits the section, that is what a report button is for to notify the staff of that section or higher that something needs to be taken care of whether it is spam, a thread that needs closing, etc.
I believe this should answer your question or given example on what a member should do when spotting a thread or post that may be irrelevent. I really have nothing else to say other than what has been mentioned already. :)

Back