• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The Most Difficult Gym

The Most Difficult Gym ^_^

• Rock type gym

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Fighting type gym

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Electric type gym

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Fire type gym

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Normal type gym

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • Flying type gym

• Psychic type gym

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Water type gym

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2013
Norman. Hands down. He's not too bad now, but when I was new to the game, I remember restarting the game like, 7 times because he kept beating me. The man is a GENIUS.

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2013
Norman ruined me. Even some of the gym trainers were really really challenging, and that I made a point of fighting every single one of them might not have helped that.

Years
Norman is the hardest IMO, even if his Slaking has that truant ability it's so powerful at that stage of the game it doesn't really matter. Even if you have Blaziken as starter it's difficult to KO it before Slaking makes its move; its Slack off move doesn't help, either.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
Every playthrough I do of that game, I always find myself getting stuck for a while on Winona. Her Altaria and her Skarmory always manage to get me.

Norman can be difficult but I can usually get past him within a couple of tries if I don't beat him the first time.

Not Winona, though. I have to fight her multiple times on most playthroughs before I can move forward. I need to be more willing to grind up levels I guess. lol

Ace.

Love Yourself
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 29, 2015
I had trouble with Norman and Liz & Tate. My strongest Pokemon were weak to Liz * Tate's Pokemon so I had a really hard time there. Norman's Pokemon were also pretty bulky so it was hard to kill his Pokemon especially Slaking.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
Tate and Liza always gave me the most trouble. Claydol always destroyed my team with earthquake and then Psychic is a ridiculously strong move that took out a lot of my HP. Whenever I beat them, it usually comes down to luck or the AI slipping up and not using the "I" part of its name.

Winona also indirectly caused me to break my first DS. I got frustrated and just tossed it aside on the ground, and then later stepped on it, breaking the screen D: I'll never forgive her for that. Lol

The Fourteenth Doctor

The little... Daleks
Years
On my current play through of Emerald I found Wattson the hardest as I didn't have access to a ground type pokemon so had to train my team harder than normal.

Gogofreak

Touhou and Pokemon Fanatic
Years
When I was doing the poll I forgot about Tate and Liza! I had trouble up against Flannery because I chose Torchic.

Years
Norman for sure, he showed me why most Normal-type gyms are menacing. His Slaking is so powerful (due to having Legendary-level stats) and don't even think of status'ing them because it makes Facade become really strong enough to destroy you. He's a nightmare if you don't have a strong Fighting-type.

And unlike what the poll is saying, I didn't find Tate & Liza that hard. Their team has a lot of Water and Grass weaknesses, but I did hear in Emerald they are pretty darn tough. But still most of their team can be destroyed by Water and Grass-types.

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
Okay..So All I used to play in 2010 Is RSE So I played it about 13 times and finished upto Battle Frontier anyways
Roxxane: Too darn Easy
Broly: He was a lil tough Because of his makuhita Which had A really great attack
Electric Type [Watson Something] : Easy as sh it
Flannery: The maze in her gym was tough But Shes easy to beat
Norman: I usually started with torchic So Blaziken By then and If you get Lucky His Slaking starts well Slaking and His vigorath is tough
Flying Type: That was well Easy considering I always Had a electric Type
Psychic Type: This was horrifying It was so hard to get to them and they were just too strong I eventually Finished them off with Slot save
And Juan: *Shivers* I had no problem IN beating his Pokemon Except Milotic and KIngdra Milotic kept on recovering and Kingdra was just hard to beat

Last edited:

Infinite Latios

Champion
Years
Here's how I rank them in difficulty for the latest playthrough. I had a certain team with glaring Fire, Electric, and Flying weaknesses in my latest run. Keep that in mind.

1. Tate and Liza. I HATED fighting these two. Calm Mind + Psychic caused a lot of problems. The Elite Four were easier than these guys.
2. Brawly. Only thing saving me there were my trusty Bug-types, who became liabilities as soon as Wattson, Flannery, and Winona came around.
3. Wattson. Magneton gave me a lot of trouble since I didn't have anything to really damage it. But, Shedinja came through for me. But like all non-Grovyle pokemon, I eventually boxed it.
4. Norman. He wasn't actually as difficult on this particular run than he was on others, even when I picked Torchic. This is thanks to my trusty Swellow. 8 HP. Linoone had reduced it to 8 HP. But, Endeavor saved me. One Quick Attack from Grovyle and Slaking was down for the count.
5. Flannery. Not as difficult as you might expect. But, at that time, I had ditched Ninjask and Dustox, adding Koffing and Wobbuffet to my team. Wobbuffet was the key here. Torkoal pretty much killed itself.
Also 5. Winona. By the time I fought Winona, I had edited my team even further. Only two members of my original team, Grovyle and Swellow, remained. Swellow and Wobbuffet once again proved their worth. Not the first time they helped me. Skarmory and Altaria became much easier because of those two.
6. Juan. Sceptile and Walrein made quick work of him.
7. Roxanne. I like Roxanne, but does ANYONE (who doesn't pick Torchic) have trouble with her?

And there is my synopsis of my gym battles.

Pryze

Straight chillin
Years
Wattson always gave me a run for my money, especially that Manetric of his.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
I hated Normans Slaking. It took 2 tries for me to defeat that thing. Probably because I didn't get a fighting type. But I over-trained and I destroyed him after my losses.

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2015
Whenever I chose Treecko, Brawly was always a huge problem. for me. My best move would be absorb still on my Grovyle and Arm Thrust would wreck me.

ErikaInRainbowCity

Everyday I'm Tumblin'
Years
Whenever I chose Treecko, Brawly was always a huge problem. for me. My best move would be absorb still on my Grovyle and Arm Thrust would wreck me.

OMG I had the SAME exact problem whenever I chose Treecko it was terrible ;_;

I actually was going to say Tate & Liza (which i hastily voted for in the poll) but after thinking about it I remember I had TONS of trouble with Juan in Emerald because of his stupid, stupid Kingdra :P

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
Years
Liza and Tate are my life long enemy. :L I was around 5 levels higher than their Pokémon, but I still got wrecked around 20 times until finally my Mightyena managed to pull out a Bite (yes, I had a Dark type and it still took me 20+ attempts)

Purple skies

Kittycanes777
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2023
phycic pokemon really the hardest even the twins on pokemon sapphire i cant get pass them they are the hardest ones to defeat then the other gym leaders

Shizzable

The Derpiest One Of All
Years
Flannery. Not only was the puzzle annoying (and reminiscent of Sabrina's gym) but she wrecked me because I hadn't caught my water type yet.

Back