• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Kalos League Speculation Thread

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Since the Kalos League is maybe a few months off, let's speculate how it will all go down. You can take speculation in any way you like. But, I got a question for you: do you think Ash will bring some of his old Pokemon back for a few rounds of the Kalos League? Also, here's to hoping this one isn't a disappointment!

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I think Ash might mix and match his team again for the league, because his team has been pitifully sparse this time around; he's not got a full team of six as it is and, whilst this could be easily rectified by bringing back Goodra, it's not really like him to have such an unbalanced squad anyway - Goodra and Noivern would give him two Dragon-types, and he has THREE Pokemon that are part-flying as it is. He's not that stupid; if nothing else Ash has always had a good balance of his choice in Pokemon for a league competition. A lot of his Pokemon are candidates for Mega Evolution as well and, whilst it's unlikely, I still think Mega Charizard Y is on the cards for him.

That said, he's going to lose. If not to a character who is already in the anime, then to a random trainer who will either have a Legendary, something from the Alola Region, or a ridiculously overpowered Mega. Ash never wins.

Years
Given a new generation got confirmed, Ash is likely to lose again. My guess is the one who defeats him would be either Sawyer (since he did get the win over Ash in the latest episode, and defeating Ash was Sawyer's goal) or a random character that gets introduced around the league and defeats Ash using a 7th Gen Pokemon that Ash is unfamiliar with, similar to Harrison's Blaziken during the Johto League.

Also, Ash is definitely likely to use reserves because he currently doesn't have a full team, and there is still possibility he could call Goodra back. As Meloetta also mentioned, Ash's Kalos team has the worst type balance of all his regional teams so far, especially with three Flying-types making him very susceptible to Electric, Rock and Ice-types.

As much as people want to see Ash bring back an older Pokemon for a Mega, the writers are clearly keeping him away from using Megas so it seems unlikely.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Apr 23, 2017
I think the best opponent was Tobias with the legendaries in the League battles(Darkrai and Latios), I am looking for some sort of shock surprise like that.. maybe an old rival facing Ash in this League, too. Paul or Richie...

I also liked it when Blaziken was shown in the Gen 2 league battles. Maybe they will do that again with an Alola evo

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I'd probably say Ash might actually win this one. I know, I know, the anime generally doesn't have Ash win a regional league especially if a new generation has been confirmed, but on the other hand, considering the crap ratings, movie sales, and merchandising, they may have Ash actually win the league and replace him with another character simply for a ratings grab. Besides, XY has broken traditions anyways, like Ash not getting a Grass Starter at all, when in prior regions, if he was to go for a single starter, he goes for the grass-type (he went with Treecko in Hoenn, and Turtwig in Sinnoh). And he doesn't even have a full team now, either, which he generally has a full team by that point (he would have had one if they didn't basically cast Goodra off).

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
I noticed a pattern when it comes to the Pokemon leagues where in the odd numbered generations (Kanto, Hoenn and Unova), Ash only used the Pokemon that he caught in that region (Kanto is justified because that's his first league). While in the even numbered generations (Johto and Sinnoh), he brought back some his Pokemon from previous regions. Since he hasn't caught many Pokemon in Kalos and there's yet to be any signs of him getting his sixth Pokemon, it's fair to say that this pattern may carry on.

When it comes to his opponents, I think he's gonna beat Tierno and Sawyer and meet a new rival who he loses to.

pkmin3033

I think if nothing else, Ash will have a rematch with Diantha and probably trash her utterly. It probably won't be in a Kalos League setting - because Ash winning the league is about as likely as me winning the lottery - but I can see her approaching him in the aftermath and giving Ash-Greninja vs. Mega Gardevoir a second, more conclusive attempt.

Years
I'd probably say Ash might actually win this one. I know, I know, the anime generally doesn't have Ash win a regional league especially if a new generation has been confirmed, but on the other hand, considering the crap ratings, movie sales, and merchandising, they may have Ash actually win the league and replace him with another character simply for a ratings grab. Besides, XY has broken traditions anyways, like Ash not getting a Grass Starter at all, when in prior regions, if he was to go for a single starter, he goes for the grass-type (he went with Treecko in Hoenn, and Turtwig in Sinnoh). And he doesn't even have a full team now, either, which he generally has a full team by that point (he would have had one if they didn't basically cast Goodra off).

You have a point, with all the traditions XY broke (such as Ash catching no Grass starter, or any Grass-types in general, and currently not even having a full team) I could see Ash winning and then the Alola saga ends up becoming a complete reboot with little ties to Ash. There was a scene in the latest Sun & Moon trailer where the protagonist's mother looks out at the world because her child had started a Pokemon journey and knows that he is in for a lot of adventure.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Ash deserve to win Kalos league ! It would be disappointing if Ash doesn't win it.
Specially since Serena now officially the 2nd best performer in Kalos So Ash deserve to be 2nd best trainer but he need to challenge Diantha officially in Champion league and he need to need to win kalos league to qualify for Champion league.
Or else Ash's achievement will be small compare to Serena's achievement.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Ash's travelling companion's achievements have no bearing whatsoever on Ash's achievements, though - Dawn came second place in the Grand Festival and, whilst Ash was knocked out by the eventual winner of the Sinnoh League, he only finished in the Top 4.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Ash's travelling companion's achievements have no bearing whatsoever on Ash's achievements, though - Dawn came second place in the Grand Festival and, whilst Ash was knocked out by the eventual winner of the Sinnoh League, he only finished in the Top 4.

In all fairness, he DID do much better than in Hoenn, where he just stayed at the same rank (Top 8) instead of, you know, actually doing better than in Johto (where, Orange League or not, he did at least do better than the Indigo League's Top 16), so that's got to count for something.

Ignoring Serena's accomplishments, though, at this point they're going to need to retire Ash considering how badly XY's doing right now.

Years
Ash doesn't have a rival like Paul or Trip in Kalos, so it's kinda hard for me to care about how the Kalos league will go down.

Ash will probably win a few matches and then get pwned by some character that we're never going to see again. He's actually doing pretty well in XY from what I've seen, so they'll probably have to bring in Tobias 2.0 in order to make him lose.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 16, 2016
Predictions on Ash's Kalos League Team Setup

I know we are all thinking about it but i saw no post regarding it in the forum(well..of this month at least).Post what you think will be Ash's 6 pokemon setup come the Kalos Pokemon League. Do you believe he will bring pokemon from past seasons or will he stick with his Kalos setup?
Also any Pokemon theories regarding Ash winning the league or not are also welcome.

As for what i think Ash's team will look like...well i believe in order for this season to continue holding up to its high(current) standard should be the following

-Sceptile
-Mega Charizard Y(the most possible and long awaited Ash's mega) Ash's rematch against Alan before the Pokemon League should feature that, dont you think?( Thoughts and feedback on this one is welcomed as well.Feel free to post about it!).
-Greninja(Ash's trump card)
-Pikachu(Of course)
-Goodra(Hinted to return)
-Talonflame or Heracross(because...Hera ^_^)

I do also believe that this setup holds the greatest possibility of finally helping Ash achieve the impossible.Tradition or not... ;)

EDIT: I'm also aware that this season, like the Sinnoh league and Johto league before it will probably feature, the tendency Ash has on bringing Pokemon's from previous generations to compete in the league.

Last edited:
Years
Ignoring Serena's accomplishments, though, at this point they're going to need to retire Ash considering how badly XY's doing right now.

I'm starting to pick up on your "retire Ash because of bad XY performance" theory as well. I know Ash is a staple but if Pokemon's ratings are at new lows in Japan, it's sure that massive changes will be needed to ensure the series' survival against the currently strong competing franchises.

Anyways, as for the Kalos League I could see Ash definitely using reserves because like Sinnoh, it's another even-numbered generation and I know that in Hoenn and Unova he only used his regional teams so I could see the pattern suggesting he uses his older Pokemon alongside the Kalos team.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
I'm starting to pick up on your "retire Ash because of bad XY performance" theory as well. I know Ash is a staple but if Pokemon's ratings are at new lows in Japan, it's sure that massive changes will be needed to ensure the series' survival against the currently strong competing franchises.

Anyways, as for the Kalos League I could see Ash definitely using reserves because like Sinnoh, it's another even-numbered generation and I know that in Hoenn and Unova he only used his regional teams so I could see the pattern suggesting he uses his older Pokemon alongside the Kalos team.

Currently , I believe that Ash need to win Kalos league since its nothing more then a qualifying round.
The real Competition is that Champion League where all League conference winner , E4 and Champion fight for the title of the Best trainer in region.
League Conference doesn't even decide the Best trainer in the region (Unlike Tripokalon) ! It just qualify trainers to challenge Champion league.
At least , Ash winning the Kalos league but losing to Diantha at Champion League is more acceptable and satisfying ! Not to mention , This way we can look forward to Ash competing in Alola Champion League.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
BTW, guys, I've received word that the Kalos League arc will start on June 30. Considering Sun and Moon (the games, I mean) will be released on November 18 in every region but Europe and China (the former will be released five days later, and the latter doesn't even HAVE a release date yet), that means we've got... Four and a half months, maybe five months tops before the games. That seems to be a long ways off, which means one of only two things... either Ash actually wins the league and challenges the Kalos Elite 4 if not beat them AND possibly even Diantha, OR they're going to have Ash lose the league, AGAIN, and have Ash undergo a filler region. Quite frankly, considering how the last time they did the latter, it was disastrously received (Decolore Islands), that means they'd HAVE to have Ash win the league, since the only alternative is to have them clearly not learn from their previous mistake. Besides, XY's ratings right now are garbage, so they'd best retire Ash and have the show end on its own terms rather than have executives pull the plug on them prematurely like what they did with Woody's Roundup from Toy Story due to Sputnik's launch, or what happened with Love Hina.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Here's what PokéFan has revealed about the Kalos League so far:

In addition to Satoshi, the other major competitors are: Shōta, Tierno, Trova, Alan, Ayaka, and Louis. For anyone who doesn't remember them, Ayaka and Louis both appeared in TSME Act I as opponents for Alan. Ayaka also appeared in the Diance movie, battling Satoshi.

Shōta has Mega Jukain, Alan has Mega Lizardon X, Ayaka has Mega Absol, and Louis has Mega Gablias. Trova is the one to debut Mega Lizardon Y (*braces for the inevitable *****ing*).

Two episode titles have been revealed already – "The Kalos League Begins! Mega Lizardon Showdown: X vs. Y!!" and "Mega Jukain vs. Raichu! I Received Some EXP!!".

Satoshi will battle either Ayaka or Louis, if not both, and will eventually make his way to the 6-vs.-6 battles. His sixth team member will show up during the League, but we don't know who it is yet.

Some things to speculate on:

The Team Flare climax hasn't happened yet and, with the League being held in Miare City, some are theorizing that the League and Flare/Zygarde plots will converge. Alan (who is directly connected to Fleur-de-lis) is appearing here, despite having no stated interest in the Kalos League. Suspiciously enough, he is on a mission to collect Mega Evolution data, and the League is full of Megas…

Trova is battling Alan in the first round and showcasing the two Lizardons, but he will lose. Because Alan is a much more important character to this series, and to Satoshi, than Trova – who appeared all of once, not counting cameos, after the Summer Camp – is. Tierno, who has a Raichu, will lose to Shōta, who has Mega Jukain (and XY&Z033's title refers to Shōta's catchphrase). It looks like Tierno is the only major character here who has neither a Mega Evolution or a "Satoshi-Gekkouga"-esque Pokémon.

Satoshi will obviously battle both Shōta and Alan, as he has an unsettled score with the both of them. XY&Z023 had Satoshi and Alan wanting to finish their interrupted battle once Satoshi mastered "Satoshi-Gekkouga". Now that he's done that, they can continue on. Satoshi was defeated by Shōta in XY&Z026 as part of a narrative low-point for the character. Now that Satoshi has bounced back and mastered the Gekkouga transformation, the two can battle each other at full strength.

Interestingly, there's no mention of the usual "League rival", the Takuto-esque character who shows up at the last minute to knock Satoshi out of the League.

Satoshi's sixth Pokémon is most likely Numelgon. There's been no mention of Satoshi calling on the Pokémon he has back at Masara Town, and we already know Satoshi meets Numelgon in XY&Z030. The focus is on both that "sixth Pokémon" and Satoshi-Gekkouga as Satoshi's main powerhouses for this League.

My personal opinions:

I'm always excited for Pokémon Leagues, and this is no different. Bit disappointed that Satoshi isn't calling on his older Pokémon this time, but at least his Kalos team is pretty good. I hope that, with all the "Satoshi-Gekkouga"/sixth Pokémon focus, that Pikachu, Fiarrow, Luchabull, and Onvern can get some moments to shine, too. Gekkouga's special arc is over, writers, and Satoshi does have other Pokémon.

Poor Tierno, though. He's the only character without a Mega (or, in Satoshi's case, a 'synchro') Evolution. Even Trova gets one. And, on top of that, he's reduced to being nothing but fodder to show off Shōta's brand new Mega Jukain. I can't feel as sorry for Trova. He's been such a non-factor over XY that giving us the battle of the Lizardons is about all he's good for, anyway.

And since a certain someone is likely to start complaining, no, Trova isn't being favored here just because he has a Mega Lizardon Y. He's still going down in the first episode of the League.

The lack of a "Hiroshi/Tetsuya/Takuto/Kotetsu"-trainer here makes me a little more hopeful for Satoshi's chances. Maybe he can win. Or, should Team Flare interrupt the whole thing, at least he doesn't officially lose. I mean, who are his main opponents? Shōta and Alan. There's no narrative reason for Satoshi to have to lose to Shōta again. And, going by the way the story has been set up, he's going to have to beat Alan at some point, too. Maybe this is the place.

One thing I worry about is the quality of the battles. XY and XY&Z are usually pretty good with creative battle strategies, but when Megas are involved, the anime usually just goes with visually-impressive clashes of power as opposed to moves with thought put behind them. With so many Megas around, I worry that we won't get the interesting, strategy-filled battles like Satoshi vs. Kaede, Kouhei, or Shinji. A good, well-animated Mega brawl is enjoyable, but it shouldn't be all the Kalos League has to offer. Here's hoping for some great strategies, too.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Here's what PokéFan has revealed about the Kalos League so far:

In addition to Satoshi, the other major competitors are: Shōta, Tierno, Trova, Alan, Ayaka, and Louis. For anyone who doesn't remember them, Ayaka and Louis both appeared in TSME Act I as opponents for Alan. Ayaka also appeared in the Diance movie, battling Satoshi.

Well, THAT's proof enough that the movies are canon, at the very least the Diancie movie anyway.

Shōta has Mega Jukain, Alan has Mega Lizardon X, Ayaka has Mega Absol, and Louis has Mega Gablias. Trova is the one to debut Mega Lizardon Y (*braces for the inevitable *****ing*).

Two episode titles have been revealed already – "The Kalos League Begins! Mega Lizardon Showdown: X vs. Y!!" and "Mega Jukain vs. Raichu! I Received Some EXP!!".

Satoshi will battle either Ayaka or Louis, if not both, and will eventually make his way to the 6-vs.-6 battles. His sixth team member will show up during the League, but we don't know who it is yet.

We'll see either way. We definitely know the league would need to wrap itself up before... ohh, boy... Yeah, I just remembered that the Volcanion movie is premiering on July 16. This is going to be a bit difficult to resolve, because it may mean the league is going to be cut extremely short just to ensure Ash isn't still at the league by the time the movie premieres. Looks like the directors of both the anime and the movie hadn't exactly thought this one out. Basically, they've got three episodes tops to get through the league. Hope they do manage to do well with it, because otherwise, if they really rush through the league (not to mention rush the Team Flare element) like I suspect will happen, they're going to have Ash stay at Top 8, if not get a worse ranking like Top 16 or even be cut off.

Some things to speculate on:

The Team Flare climax hasn't happened yet and, with the League being held in Miare City, some are theorizing that the League and Flare/Zygarde plots will converge. Alan (who is directly connected to Fleur-de-lis) is appearing here, despite having no stated interest in the Kalos League. Suspiciously enough, he is on a mission to collect Mega Evolution data, and the League is full of Megas…

If he is, I fear the conclusion's going to be extremely rushed like the league itself thanks to the fact that the Kalos League is literally three episodes away from the Volcanion movie (and Ash is nowhere near the Pokémon League in the movie). If they don't rush through it, I think it might be the first Pokémon movie to be aired out of order from the Japanese anime episode releases since... well, ever, I guess (Pokémon: The First Movie would probably have been first if it weren't for the Electric Soldier Porygon episode causing a four month hiatus).

Trova is battling Alan in the first round and showcasing the two Lizardons, but he will lose. Because Alan is a much more important character to this series, and to Satoshi, than Trova – who appeared all of once, not counting cameos, after the Summer Camp – is. Tierno, who has a Raichu, will lose to Shōta, who has Mega Jukain (and XY&Z033's title refers to Shōta's catchphrase). It looks like Tierno is the only major character here who has neither a Mega Evolution or a "Satoshi-Gekkouga"-esque Pokémon.

Satoshi will obviously battle both Shōta and Alan, as he has an unsettled score with the both of them. XY&Z023 had Satoshi and Alan wanting to finish their interrupted battle once Satoshi mastered "Satoshi-Gekkouga". Now that he's done that, they can continue on. Satoshi was defeated by Shōta in XY&Z026 as part of a narrative low-point for the character. Now that Satoshi has bounced back and mastered the Gekkouga transformation, the two can battle each other at full strength.

Yeah, most likely they're going to fight it out.

Interestingly, there's no mention of the usual "League rival", the Takuto-esque character who shows up at the last minute to knock Satoshi out of the League.

Seems to me the writers are dedicated to making sure that Ash wins the league this time around. I guess they learned their lesson from DP and made SURE that Ash wins it well before the games premiere (could explain why there seemed to be a long gap between the Kalos league and the games), or at the very least they realize they've got the perfect opportunity to do so. Let's hope the fact that they have at most three episodes to do the Kalos League before airing the Volcanion movie if they wish to avoid airing the movie out of order doesn't have them utterly blowing it, though, because that would just be bad and a clear sign that they didn't plan things through.

Satoshi's sixth Pokémon is most likely Numelgon. There's been no mention of Satoshi calling on the Pokémon he has back at Masara Town, and we already know Satoshi meets Numelgon in XY&Z030. The focus is on both that "sixth Pokémon" and Satoshi-Gekkouga as Satoshi's main powerhouses for this League.

I guess the writers realized that kicking Goodra out was a mistake. Still, at least they actually learned their lesson regarding Pokémon leaving coming back, unlike a certain OTHER Pokémon he has yet to revisit (*cough*Pidgeot*cough*).

My personal opinions:

I'm always excited for Pokémon Leagues, and this is no different. Bit disappointed that Satoshi isn't calling on his older Pokémon this time, but at least his Kalos team is pretty good. I hope that, with all the "Satoshi-Gekkouga"/sixth Pokémon focus, that Pikachu, Fiarrow, Luchabull, and Onvern can get some moments to shine, too. Gekkouga's special arc is over, writers, and Satoshi does have other Pokémon.

Hopefully, the Kalos League is well worth it, because Ash definitely needs to redeem himself after the disaster that was the Unova League.

Poor Tierno, though. He's the only character without a Mega (or, in Satoshi's case, a 'synchro') Evolution. Even Trova gets one. And, on top of that, he's reduced to being nothing but fodder to show off Shōta's brand new Mega Jukain. I can't feel as sorry for Trova. He's been such a non-factor over XY that giving us the battle of the Lizardons is about all he's good for, anyway.

Eh, oh well, as long as Ash actually wins this time around, I could handle it.

And since a certain someone is likely to start complaining, no, Trova isn't being favored here just because he has a Mega Lizardon Y. He's still going down in the first episode of the League.

Yeah, Ash is still most likely going to fight the Alain and Sawyer.

The lack of a "Hiroshi/Tetsuya/Takuto/Kotetsu"-trainer here makes me a little more hopeful for Satoshi's chances. Maybe he can win. Or, should Team Flare interrupt the whole thing, at least he doesn't officially lose. I mean, who are his main opponents? Shōta and Alan. There's no narrative reason for Satoshi to have to lose to Shōta again. And, going by the way the story has been set up, he's going to have to beat Alan at some point, too. Maybe this is the place.

Yeah, he definitely is going to need to beat them. Hopefully, though, they don't make the battle rushed, though.

One thing I worry about is the quality of the battles. XY and XY&Z are usually pretty good with creative battle strategies, but when Megas are involved, the anime usually just goes with visually-impressive clashes of power as opposed to moves with thought put behind them. With so many Megas around, I worry that we won't get the interesting, strategy-filled battles like Satoshi vs. Kaede, Kouhei, or Shinji. A good, well-animated Mega brawl is enjoyable, but it shouldn't be all the Kalos League has to offer. Here's hoping for some great strategies, too.

That's not even getting into the fact that, including the beginning of the league, we've got at most three episodes dedicated to the league before the Volcanion movie is to premier, and... well, unless they want to air the movie out of order (which would be a first for the Pokémon anime as a whole since Movie 1 aired in the appropriate time ironically because of the Porygon incident), I fear that they're going to do a heck of a rush job on the league and possibly the Flare arc just to get them out of the way for the XY movie. Either way, it doesn't sound too good (even if Ash is most likely going to win this time around), especially with the implication that they're going to juggle the Team Flare arc conclusion at the same time as well. I smell a disaster.

Last edited:

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
@weedle_mchairybug, this has happened before. The Zoroark movie premiered during the Sinnoh League and forced a break there. It's no big deal.

A new summary for XY&Z033 mentioned that the Shōta and Tierno fight is for a spot in the semifinals. If that's true, this says a lot for Satoshi's chances. That means that Satoshi has to at least make it to the Top 4, which already puts him a step above the Isshu League and on par with what he made it to in Sinnoh. Moreover, if Satoshi vs. Shōta is in the semifinals and Satoshi still hasn't fought Alan yet…

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I still don't think Ash will be removed. I think my idea about having to journeys going on at once is still a better way to handle it. But I wouldn't mind it if they made it more story oriented. Pokemon is still neck and neck with Yo-Kai Watch in some weeks with still over 3.3m viewers. And Pokemon is still extremely popular in the united states. And I can tell that for a fact by how much pokemon stuff is being sold so quickly and by how many times I see kids looking at pokemon stuff that are a good amount younger than me. While Yo-Kai still suffers miserably in the US But I am sick of talking about ratings for Pokemon when really it means nothing for Japan. Especially when they continue to make shows that get less that 2m viewers.

But where was it ever confirmed that Ash would only be using his Kalos team? As much as I can remember, you only have to register pokemon before each battle, not the whole thing.

And how the hell are Tierno and Sawyer already fighting for a spot in the semi finals? I mean that is 3 episodes in and there was 2 battles before Ash's battle where he lost in 8th in Unova. And Ash's 4th battle was Tobias in the semi finals.

So are they make the league extremely short so they can finish up the Flare Arc? Also there is apparently a new opening but I havent seen it.

Back