• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Hive: Bug-type Pokémon Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2017
Preferred username
-Ahsan-
Partner Pokémon
Heracross
Which bug pokemon has the best design?
Scolipede
Favorite Bug-type move
Signal Beam
Why do you like/love Bug-type Pokémon?
They can prove to be a nuisance with stat altering moves or hit hard with attacks such as Megahorn, X-Scissor, Signal Beam and Bug Buzz

Years
Preferred username
fenneking

Partner Pokemon:
Vespiquen

Volcarona, Vespiquen, Whirlipede, and Scyther

Favorite Bug-type move:

1 Quiver Dance - Elegant

Butterfly_Dance.png

2 Steamroller - Awesomely awesome (definitely not a generic move)
150px-Burgh_Whirlipede_Steamroller.png

3 Attack/Defend/Heal Order
Heal_Order.png

First off, it is love, not like. Bug types are my favorite, tied with grass types. First off, many of my favorites are bug types, Butterfree, Venomoth, Scyther, Beautifly, Illumise/volbeat, Masquerain, Wormadam, Vespiquen, Volcarona, Vespiquen, Galvantula, Leavanny, Escavalier, Scolipede, even Crustle is growing on me.

And Flygon, or at least, it should be a dragon/bug type.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Preferred username
-Ahsan-
Partner Pokémon
Heracross
Scolipede
Favorite Bug-type move
Signal Beam
They can prove to be a nuisance with stat altering moves or hit hard with attacks such as Megahorn, X-Scissor, Signal Beam and Bug Buzz

Welcome to the club. Good choice with Heracross, a true powerhouse. I found it funny in the anime when he'd suck the sap from Bulbasaur. Poor Bulbasaur. Scolipede is amazing, the size, colors and power of it is astonishing. I agree, they can be annoying with status-effecting moves, especially Supersonic or any of the ones that involve powders like Poison Powder, Stun Spore and Sleep Powder.

Preferred username
fenneking

Partner Pokemon:
Vespiquen

Volcarona, Vespiquen, Whirlipede, and Scyther

Favorite Bug-type move:

1 Quiver Dance - Elegant

Butterfly_Dance.png

2 Steamroller - Awesomely awesome (definitely not a generic move)
150px-Burgh_Whirlipede_Steamroller.png

3 Attack/Defend/Heal Order
Heal_Order.png

First off, it is love, not like. Bug types are my favorite, tied with grass types. First off, many of my favorites are bug types, Butterfree, Venomoth, Scyther, Beautifly, Illumise/volbeat, Masquerain, Wormadam, Vespiquen, Volcarona, Vespiquen, Galvantula, Leavanny, Escavalier, Scolipede, even Crustle is growing on me.

And Flygon, or at least, it should be a dragon/bug type.

Welcome to the club. Vespiquen scares me a bit, just looks intimidating. I like how they made Scyther this blade-wielding mantis, they did good with his design, and Volcarona just bursts with intense colors. I liked Steamroller in the anime, just cut through everything. Alot of those Bug-types I like/love too. Galvantula is growing on me and Scolipede has too.

Last edited:

PyroDragneer

Pokemon Trainer Pyro
Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2022
Preferred username: PyroDragneer
Partner Pokémon: Butterfree(This liitle guy help me a lot to beat the Indigo league)
Favorite Bug-type move: BugBuzz
Why do you like/love Bug-type Pokémon? : They can be really powerful with a good tactic.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Preferred username: PyroDragneer
Partner Pokémon: Butterfree(This liitle guy help me a lot to beat the Indigo league)
Favorite Bug-type move: BugBuzz
Why do you like/love Bug-type Pokémon? : They can be really powerful with a good tactic.

Welcome to the club. Butterfree's a good choice. In the Generation I games, I wanted one because it had Psybeam and alot of stat-altering moves. Butterfree helped me alot too, getting past Brock and alot of the others. I only have played the first 2 generation's games and they only had a few good Bug-type moves but if used right, could've done alot of damage.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023

Honestly, I really like Shedinja's design for some reason. I think its mainly due to the fact that, they fit the description of what its meant to be perfectly, 'A Pokemon that is pretty much immune to everything except for things like status and super effective moves'. The way they used an angel's halo to represent immunity was really clever in my opinion. And it's pretty cute actually- I gotta say I wasn't as much of a fan of it when I first saw it, but I'm slowly getting attached to it. Just that happy little creature, safely contained in its shell from the world. I've always thought it had a brilliant design but honestly I don't think it'd be that from first glance. Once you take a deeper look, you really appreciate it though. At least in my eyes. XD

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years

Honestly, I really like Shedinja's design for some reason. I think its mainly due to the fact that, they fit the description of what its meant to be perfectly, 'A Pokemon that is pretty much immune to everything except for things like status and super effective moves'. The way they used an angel's halo to represent immunity was really clever in my opinion. And it's pretty cute actually- I gotta say I wasn't as much of a fan of it when I first saw it, but I'm slowly getting attached to it. Just that happy little creature, safely contained in its shell from the world. I've always thought it had a brilliant design but honestly I don't think it'd be that from first glance. Once you take a deeper look, you really appreciate it though. At least in my eyes. XD

I am growing attached to Shedinja. Upon learning about how it's immune to 12 of the 17 (now 18 types with the introduction of Fairy, but we don't know if Shedinja is immune to it too) and how you need an empty slot in your party to obtain it from an evolving Nincada, it just adds to the intrigue. All these other facts are interesting too:

-From Generation IV onwards, a basic Poké Ball (a requirement for evolution) is removed from the bag upon evolution to produce a Shedinja. In Generation III, Shedinja instead copied the ball Nincada was in; this is the only legitimate way to get a Shedinja in a non-standard Poké Ball.
-Shedinja is the lightest fully-evolved Pokémon at 2.6 lbs.
-No other Pokémon has the same type combination as Shedinja.
-Shedinja has the lowest base stat total of all fully evolved Pokémon.
-Shedinja is also the only fully evolved Pokémon that has lower base stat total than its pre-evolved form.
-It has the lowest average stat of any evolved Pokémon as well.
-It is the only Ghost-type Pokémon to have a unique base stat total.
-Shedinja is one of only three Pokémon (other than baby Pokémon) to have a different Egg Group than its evolutionary relatives, being in the Mineral Egg Group while Nincada and Ninjask are in the Bug Egg Group. It cannot breed normally with Mineral group Pokémon either way, however, as it has no gender. The other two Pokémon that share this trait are Nidorina and Nidoqueen, which are both in the Undiscovered group.
-Shedinja inherits the same personality value, IVs, EVs, OT and ID number as the Nincada that shed it. Among other things, due to retaining personality value, if the Nincada was Shiny, Shedinja will be Shiny as well.
-The Shedinja shed from a Nincada has no nickname, and the player is not given an opportunity to nickname it. The only way to give Shedinja a nickname is for the Nincada's original Trainer to take it to a Name Rater.
-Shedinja's Ability (Wonder Guard) renders it immune to 12 of 17 attack types, the most of any Pokémon. This also gives it a number of further distinctions; Shedinja is the only Pokémon immune to Dragon Rage, which otherwise has the same effect against all types. Even if Foresight is used, Shedinja is still immune to Normal and Fighting-type attacks. If Soak is used to make Shedinja a Water type, it will have immunities to 15 of 17 attack types.
-Prior to Generation V, if Nincada learns a move upon evolving into Ninjask, Shedinja will also know this move. This means that Shedinja can learn any of Ninjask's level up moves starting at level 20, but only the ones learned at the same level. In Generation V, Shedinja starts with the moves Nincada knew prior to evolution.
-Shedinja is the only genderless Pokémon that can learn Egg moves (as a Nincada). However, Staryu and Starmie could also learn moves via breeding in Gold and Silver.
-Even though looking into the crack on Shedinja's back is said to steal one's spirit, all of Shedinja's back sprites display it perfectly, yet no negative effects happen to the player in-game.

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2013
Preferred Username: HollowQueen
Partner Pokemon: Parasect! OMG, it's so adorable! :3
Which Bug-type has the best design?: I'm going to have to go with Pinsir - it's intimidating and pointy. It's the kind of Bug you want to run away from really fast.
Favorite Bug-type move: Signal Beam, by far. It's all rainbow-y and pretty and hits pretty hard for a Bug-type move.
Why do you like/love Bug-type Pokemon?: Bug are really neat, honestly. They're so strange and diverse and numerous and I love studying Bugs, both in game and in real life. I always caught a Bug-type early on and I have at least one or two Bug-types on my team at all times. It's honestly my favorite type (tied with Grass, and maybe tied with Fairy :3) and I love the type combinations available to Bug-types. People don't usually expect a Bug besides Heracross, Scizor, Volcarona, and maybe Forretress, so I like throwing them for a loop with Parasect and Galvantula. ^_^ Vivillon is going to become a welcome addition to my big Bug family.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Preferred Username: HollowQueen
Partner Pokemon: Parasect! OMG, it's so adorable! :3
Which Bug-type has the best design?: I'm going to have to go with Pinsir - it's intimidating and pointy. It's the kind of Bug you want to run away from really fast.
Favorite Bug-type move: Signal Beam, by far. It's all rainbow-y and pretty and hits pretty hard for a Bug-type move.
Why do you like/love Bug-type Pokemon?: Bug are really neat, honestly. They're so strange and diverse and numerous and I love studying Bugs, both in game and in real life. I always caught a Bug-type early on and I have at least one or two Bug-types on my team at all times. It's honestly my favorite type (tied with Grass, and maybe tied with Fairy :3) and I love the type combinations available to Bug-types. People don't usually expect a Bug besides Heracross, Scizor, Volcarona, and maybe Forretress, so I like throwing them for a loop with Parasect and Galvantula. ^_^ Vivillon is going to become a welcome addition to my big Bug family.

Welcome to the club. I might've had a Parasect in my Game Boy Color games but not sure, seems so long ago since I played them or seen Parasect on the show. I like Pinsir's design too. It's a stag beetle but I didn't think they looked like he does. He and Heracross are like brothers or cousins, they're both powerful Bug-types. Pinsir has alot of Fighting moves so I don't get why he isn't a dual Bug/Fighting type too. I hate bugs in real life except for the nicer ones like ladybugs and butterflies. I like the type combinations. My favorite currently is the Bug/Ghost combo seen only in Shedinja.

I changed the sprites on the original post to animated ones. I also added Burmy and Wormadam's other forms too. Hope you all like them.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2013
Welcome to the club. I might've had a Parasect in my Game Boy Color games but not sure, seems so long ago since I played them or seen Parasect on the show. I like Pinsir's design too. It's a stag beetle but I didn't think they looked like he does. He and Heracross are like brothers or cousins, they're both powerful Bug-types. Pinsir has alot of Fighting moves so I don't get why he isn't a dual Bug/Fighting type too. I hate bugs in real life except for the nicer ones like ladybugs and butterflies. I like the type combinations. My favorite currently is the Bug/Ghost combo seen only in Shedinja.

I changed the sprites on the original post to animated ones. I also added Burmy and Wormadam's other forms too. Hope you all like them.
XD Yeah, a lot of people tend to forget about Parasect. It hasn't been in the anime in a long time, but I love it. I think it's funny how Pinsir shifted from Scyther's counterpart to Heracross's counterpart, but really, Pinsir and Heracross are really similar anyways. ^_^

Years
Preferred Username: Quetzal
Partner Pokemon: Galvantula, he's my favourite of ALL Pokemon!
Favourite Bug-type Move: U-turn, it's helped me out of tough spots.
Why do you like bugs: Well, look at all those sprites in the first post! Bugs are so squiggly and flappy and spindly and creepy and crawly and often pretty! They're the best of all Pokemon!
Current topic: I dunno really. For dark, I can only assume it's because many bugs love dark, damp places. For psychic...game balance. Other than that, I got nothin'.

BUGS!

Years
I have wonder this myself. However, with careful thought, I have an idea. Psychics and Dark type use mental abilities in order to inflict damage against their oppponent. Psychic's tend to use intellect whereas dark types tend to use ill-will in both attack and defensive abilities. Bug bites are known to distrupt their victims cognitive processes, causing illness, faintness, and stupor. Rendering an opponent senseless, you have effectively thwarted their ability to use their minds in order to maintain their normal defenses. Though, it would bring to question, poison as a discrepancy. To that, I would say that bugs are infamous for transmitting viruses and bacteria that are microorganism whereas poisons are usually organic chemical compounds, not microorganisms, and chemical compounds are perhaps easier to defend against that a conscious attack on the psyche. Granted, I haven't taken any sort of bio course in years, this is my best guess?

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Preferred Username: Quetzal
Partner Pokemon: Galvantula, he's my favourite of ALL Pokemon!
Favourite Bug-type Move: U-turn, it's helped me out of tough spots.
Why do you like bugs: Well, look at all those sprites in the first post! Bugs are so squiggly and flappy and spindly and creepy and crawly and often pretty! They're the best of all Pokemon!
Current topic: I dunno really. For dark, I can only assume it's because many bugs love dark, damp places. For psychic...game balance. Other than that, I got nothin'.

BUGS!

Welcome to the club. Galvantula's one of my favorites too. I love his Electroweb move and how they attack in droves. I'm glad you like the animated sprites I made. You make some valid points about the Bug-Dark and Bug-Psychic aspect. Never though of it that way.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Why do you think Bug-types are super effective against Psychic and Dark-type Pokémon? (your honest opinion)

Honestly, I think it was more of a move to balance out the types rather than throwing in logic. Psychic is an overpowered type as they have a huge variety of moves and generally high-stats. It can be almost impossible to stop them without strategy but they didn't want to give an already strong enough type such as water, the chance to be super effective to it, because that would proceed to make water overpowered and so forth. So instead they gave a weaker type the spotlight which happened to be bug. Bug finds itself stuck in the weaker types generally, with all sorts of strong Pokemon attacking them and with some of there rather poor defenses, they were rather left out to be honest. So I think Gamefreak wanted to encourage people to use bug-types, by giving it the upperhand to some of the strongest types in the game. That or maybe the bug-type is really good at distracting by making irritating chirping noises, which then breaks the concentration needed when levitating or performing telepathic actions. As for dark-types I'm really not sure, just probably a move to balance out a really powerful type. Unless they're making a tiny reference to lightning bugs which can illuminate corn fields, which then drives away the dark. :p

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
New topic is in the original post, so be sure to answer it.

I will give my answer to it. I would pick Scizor because he's tough and warrior-like in his style of fighting. His moveset would be Metal Claw, Steel Wing, X-Scissor and Fury Cutter.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
If you were to have a Bug-type Pokémon in real life, who would it be and why? What would its moveset be?
Leavanny! I wouldn't really want to battle in real life nor would I want a humongous bug flying around my head, so I'll pick Leavanny. It's very nurturing and will keep me company too, since it evolved via happiness anyways. Its moveset would be Leaf Blade, X-Scissor, Return, Sunny Day. Get rid of rainy weather pls. :3

Pokemount

Hello
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 27, 2013
Preferred username: Pokemount
Partner Pokémon: Scizor
Answer the current topic: I would be Scizor if I could be any bug type pokemon. It still has a human-like form, so it wouldn't be really awkward trying to move around. Scizor is also a fast pokemon and can fly! My moveset would be Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Bullet Punch and Night Slash.
Favorite Bug-type move: Tie between X-Scissor and Bug Buzz
Why do you like/love Bug-type Pokémon?: I love the overall look of them, and have strengths against some of the toughest types (Psychic, Dark and Grass). They always make a good addition to my team.

Years
If you were to have a Bug-type Pokémon in real life, who would it be and why? What would its moveset be?

Galvantula! It's so cute and cuddly, I would just snuggle with mine. Also, it'd help me save on electricity bills :laugh:

Moveset:
Thunderwave - A way of charging up anything that runs on electricity in my house without being so powerful that it blows everything up!
Rain dance - I love storms. A nice big thunderstorm is often a semi-religious experience for me. More of those please Galvy! :happy2:
Thief - Because...well, I could be rich! xD
Flash - I'm not a fan of the dark. Galvy could be my own personal nightlight :3

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Preferred username: Pokemount
Partner Pokémon: Scizor
Answer the current topic: I would be Scizor if I could be any bug type pokemon. It still has a human-like form, so it wouldn't be really awkward trying to move around. Scizor is also a fast pokemon and can fly! My moveset would be Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Bullet Punch and Night Slash.
Favorite Bug-type move: Tie between X-Scissor and Bug Buzz
Why do you like/love Bug-type Pokémon?: I love the overall look of them, and have strengths against some of the toughest types (Psychic, Dark and Grass). They always make a good addition to my team.

Welcome to the club. Scizor is an awesome choice. I always liked Scyther so I wanted a Scizor in the Johto games real bad because of its look and powerful moveset, like the one you picked. That's what I like about Bug-types, they can combat with the toughest types like Psychic and Dark. Who would've thought they'd be so effective?

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
Username: RandomMudkip
Partner Pokèmon: Scyther
Current Topic: Scizor. It's strong, reliable and doesn't have more than 1 weakness. Move set: Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Superpower, Swords Dance with Technician Life orb.

Favorite Move: U-Turn.

Why I like Bug types:

When I was a child I used to catch grasshoppers, and Fireflies in jars and watch them jump and fly around. Then I'd let them go and play with ants for a bit. Yeah I was bored but I entertained my self that way, and that's why I like bug types! :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back