• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years
I have been making the point of Freezing moves for Ages. We don't have a single move with more than 30% chance of freezing and that too is conditional ( Secret power). Also, i don't see how Freeze is broken. It's not a lot different from Sleep.And you have 9 moves that surely cause Sleep with very high accuracies.
While a sure freezing move will be annoying, we can at least have an Ice move with 30% freezing chance.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
If fire moves were dispersed more, then I'm okay with a 100% freeze move. Although I want it reduced to less than sleep in terms of when you "defrost" :x

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Freeze should come back to what it was in RBY, maybe make it not permanent but lasting more turns than sleep. It's the rarest status, it should be the most terrifying as well.

And Icicle Crash is already pretty good, the only problem with it is that only fat Pokémon learn it.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
They should also bring back the mechanic of no recharge move after KOing a Pokemon with a Hyper Beam-like move, so they wouldn't be as useless in battle as they are now.

As far as needing more powerful Ghost and Dark moves, a dA user, who generally despises Gen II, complained about how there's too many powerful moves like Dragon Pulse and and Sucker Punch and wished GF would stick with making more less powerful moves like Snarl and Bulldoze for Pokemon to learn like in the first two gens.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I think the problem with giving freeze more chances to happen (when compared to sleep) is that it can (technically) last indefinitely, since you only have a 20% chance of unthawing naturally, whereas with sleep it's a five turn maximum and then you're guaranteed to wake up. Plus, the only moves that can unthaw yourself are Flame Wheel, Scald, Sacred Fire (Lol Ho-Oh), Flare Blitz, and Fusion Flare. It's just almost overpowering how much it can really incapacitate something for a large amount of time, so I would never want to see a 100% freezing move.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The only game I really hated Freeze was in Emerald...got frozen by Walreins all the time. Yet I also inflicted the most freezes at that time. I sort of miss it now after 2 generations of barely seeing it, and the frozen Pokémon melting it right away anyways... perhaps they should restrict it to 6 turns, six as it's so rare, plus this is generation 6 xD. I'll like a 30 percent chance of freezing move with 60 power that's not secret power. And as I said before more physical ice moves! Also ice should be changed back to gen 1 where it was super effective against fire (yes Reshiram,Ho-oh, Moltres, Charzard, will go from 1x weak against fire to 4x).

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
But the change to what it is now is what made sense: Fire MELTS Ice, making it weak to it. Changing it back would make no sense.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2015
I think the problem with giving freeze more chances to happen (when compared to sleep) is that it can (technically) last indefinitely, since you only have a 20% chance of unthawing naturally, whereas with sleep it's a five turn maximum and then you're guaranteed to wake up. Plus, the only moves that can unthaw yourself are Flame Wheel, Scald, Sacred Fire (Lol Ho-Oh), Flare Blitz, and Fusion Flare. It's just almost overpowering how much it can really incapacitate something for a large amount of time, so I would never want to see a 100% freezing move.

I disagree man, Freeze has been pretty much nerfed. Sure, it can TECHNICALLY last forever, but almost every time I see someone get frozen they tend to either unfreeze the same turn and attack as if nothing happened, or unfreeze the very next turn. If you ask me, they need a move that auto-freezes, like Thunder Wave and Sing.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I disagree man, Freeze has been pretty much nerfed. Sure, it can TECHNICALLY last forever, but almost every time I see someone get frozen they tend to either unfreeze the same turn and attack as if nothing happened, or unfreeze the very next turn. If you ask me, they need a move that auto-freezes, like Thunder Wave and Sing.

That's just a case of them getting lucky with the 20% chance. The only "nerfing" (if you can even call it that in this case) that the freeze status has undergone was that the moves I listed can unfreeze you, instead of only using an item or being hit with a damaging fire move. If there's a move that causes instant-freeze then that Pokémon is more than likely down for the count until you unfreeze it manually. If it was given a freeze counter like the one that sleep has then I definitely would be okay with it though!

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2015
The could make all fire moves and even some fighting moves get you out of there, or give it sing's awful 55 accuracy.

Also, I'd like to see sing's accuracy go up.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I don't think Fighting type attacks make sense, but allowing more Fire moves to let you out would definitely be cool.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2015
I was thinking of how some movies have a character get totally frozen just to break out a few seconds later and keep on fighting, but now that I think of it I guess it doesn't really make sense for Pokemon

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I was thinking of how some movies have a character get totally frozen just to break out a few seconds later and keep on fighting, but now that I think of it I guess it doesn't really make sense for Pokemon

A pokemon usually can't move when they're totally frozen, so they can't move their feet, their mouth, their legs, etc, etc.

But.. In the anime, yeah, it looks like some pokemon can do certain things, like, how many times have we've seen Pikachu break out of ice with Thunderbolt or Volt Tackle? There was even one episode on where Ash's Snorlax used Rest while it was frozen. Maybe it'd make sense if X&Y can change the way to break out a freezing state by incorporated, like... maybe using a move that has to do with increasing body heat?

EDIT: well, actually, I just learned in bulbapedia that a frozen Pokémon can still use the moves Flame Wheel, Sacred Fire, Flare Blitz, Fusion Flare, and Scald while frozen; these moves will thaw the user.

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years

When that happens I just get confused in general, since if you're actually frozen you can't move at all, which was my thinking against Fighting types breaking the freeze condition. Honestly I'd just like to see all damaging fire type attacks unfreeze yourself without your opponent having to do it for you.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Also ice should be changed back to gen 1 where it was super effective against fire (yes Reshiram,Ho-oh, Moltres, Charzard, will go from 1x weak against fire to 4x).
I think there's a logical reason why after Gen I, Fire types gained an advantage over Ice types instead of the other way around.

In my opionion, Fire type Pokémon in general should have an advantage of thawing out faster than normal when frozen. If they were to make a move that had a 100% chance of freezing your opponent, then I think the indefinite amount of turns a Pokémon were to stay frozen would need to be changed to two - five turns similar to when a Pokémon is asleep during battle.

Sunny Day should also allow for Pokémon to thaw out faster. It doesn't make sense how a Pokémon cannot be frozen under sunny weather, yet they can't be thawed out any faster when Sunny Day is in effect. It's a logical error I think GameFreak still needs to work out.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I think the only way that GF will make an auto-freeze move is that if they'd change the mechanics of freezing in general. Maybe it'd be like sleeping and it'd be up too.. I think it is 3 turns now? (Speaking of which, boy did they nerf sleeping over the generations. @_@) So, I'd like to think freezing would only be 1-3 turns if they made an auto freeze move.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Speaking of sleep, I hope they change the mechanic they added in Gen 5 in that the sleep counter resets every time you switch out. I think it just made sleep overpowered a bit =/

blue

gucci
Years
Not sure if this has been covered but something interesting about the gyms has came to light:

Spoiler:

It is well structured and certainly sounds believable, I'd be pretty happy with thos roster tbh. Oh and if this is true then we finally get that overdue Dark type leader we've been craving for.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Although it's plausible, the descriptions of each person don't really feel written in a style that would be for any publication. The only reason I'd hope for this to be true is that I want that Dark type leader =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back