• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which Kanto Gym Leader is your Favourite?

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
Years
You'd think my favorite Kanto leader would be Blaine... but no, not really.

I actually despised that gym for the lack of creativity - never really liked him. No, my favorite Kanto leader has to be Erika, and it has absolutely nothing to do with her gym or her team at all. I just always got stuck in Rock Tunnel as a kid (hey, I was young), so getting out and exploring Celadon City was a big deal to me. I grew to really like Erika for only that reason.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I felt that as a character, Giovanni was the most interesting because you get to meet him several times before the Gym Battle, which gave the devs the chance to establish him as an actually well-rounded character, rather than most of the other Leaders, who are - from a character development standpoint - pretty pallid.

And to be a gym leader on top of all that? I don't think he ever sleeps! You can't when you're that successful.

Also this.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
Riddle me this, who has a team that firefighters fear? That quote was also used in the anime. Blaine will always be my favourite. On top of having an Arcanine, he keeps his age well and has been surrounded by tragedy. Has any other Gym Leader been forcefully relocated due to a radical volcanic attack? I don't think so.

Also, his party's strength would improve if he had a Magmar and a Charizard. (I think Gym Leaders should use starters. Erika's people were able to use Ivysaur, so why not?)

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
Surge will always be my favorite. But it might just be because I love electric type leaders. Though I liked Surge quite a bit in Pokespe. He was a bit of a challenge in the games too :P

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2018
Misty has always been my favourite, due to her preference for Water Pokemon and her anime characterisation. Sabrina is my second choice.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
Blaine is eccentric and witty, so he'd seem like a cool person to hang out with. I also really like his gym puzzle in the original games, but it would be great if the questions were more challenging. (Although that's probably because I'm too addicted to Pokemon lmao) I also like Brock and Misty, but that's probably because I enjoyed how they were portrayed in the anime.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
Years
Blaine remains a highlight for me too. The quiz is a fun mechanic, and I would battle the Gym trainers after each question anyway.

There is also something satisfying about the battle with Giovanni. I share his fondness for the Nido-family.

Years
My favorite Kanto gym leader is Brock.

Why? Because whenever I battle him, I think of his role in the cartoon... I used to find him hilarious when he'd propose to a Nurse Joy or Officer Jenny!

Years
Giovanni is easily my favorite. He's the only gym leader that's ever really been a recurring character, and I liked that you had to ruin his evil plans to continue progressing into the game.

Years
It has to be Sabrina for me, she was the only Gym Leader I ever had a challenge battling, not to mention her gym was the most frustrating thing ever the first time I encountered it xD

Nozzex

Nozzy
Years
Hrm, I'd have to say Giovanni. The first time I played through the original games I remember being terrified to fight him! Plus for a young me, it was a huge plot twist that the leader of team rocket was a gym leader!

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
Years
My favorite would probably be Erika. I always enjoyed fighting her and her gym is smaller but cute~ ♥ Also Erika's just too cute. ^/^

Back