• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So how do you strategise online?

How do you strategise?

• Sweep, sweep, sweep, I tend to go for knock 'em out quick.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Defense is the best offence, wall and stall 'em.

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Minimum weaknesses, maximum resistances.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I pick the best of the tiers and roll with them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Optimise my team to whittle down the opponent with Poison, Confusion and stuff like that.

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • I leech the opponents health into mine.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other (state what in comment).

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
I attempt to use a sweeping team, but anyone who's battled me (ever) knows how well that works for me.

Every now and then, I also use status teams (attraction rocks, especially on Shoddy), but those tend to fail as well.

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
Years
i basically have pokemon on my team that counter different pokemon
im scared of scizor so i pack magnezone with hp fire
then pretty much i have pokemon that explode until i can bring out cursepert, then i sweep
so my strategy is about screwing up yours =P

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
Years
I've been using (virtually) the same stall team for years, and it still seems to be effective. However, I often say, with Swords Dance and Nasty Plot running rampant, stall can be difficult to pull off these days (personally, I have two sweepers, I guess you could say; but one also acts as a duel wall).

But hey, if you think stall isn't the way to go, ask someone about my custom built Spiritomb. Apparently it's a total pain in the neck to take down, and he's become somewhat of a trademark of mine. haha

I do luvs my Tomby. <3

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
I've been using (virtually) the same stall team for years, and it still seems to be effective. However, I often say, with Swords Dance and Nasty Plot running rampant, stall can be difficult to pull off these days (personally, I have two sweepers, I guess you could say; but one also acts as a duel wall).

But hey, if you think stall isn't the way to go, ask someone about my custom built Spiritomb. Apparently it's a total pain in the neck to take down, and he's become somewhat of a trademark of mine. haha

I do luvs my Tomby. <3

Stall still works fine you'll be happy to know. Infact better than fine, its prolly the most solid play style atm. Except its a little more offensive these days and uses more pokemon than your traditional type stall.

JOSHIKINZ_94

The crusader
Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2010
i dont do hyper offence, though the day i do stall is the day my bank account gets a million pounds :D offence/ balanced is the way i go.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
Years
Stall still works fine you'll be happy to know. Infact better than fine, its prolly the most solid play style atm. Except its a little more offensive these days and uses more pokemon than your traditional type stall.

And therein lies my problem: I'm a very traditional battler who uses traditional stall teams. haha. What can I say, I'm a product of R/S/E. Back in the day, I considered my stall team advanced, but these days, most of my method is dated and obsolete (does anyone but me really use SkarmBliss anymore? :P)

Perhaps I need a lesson on modern team building. It's like those 40 year old's that go back to college.

larrysturtle

Let's battle :)
Years
  • Seen Feb 20, 2014
And therein lies my problem: I'm a very traditional battler who uses traditional stall teams. haha. What can I say, I'm a product of R/S/E. Back in the day, I considered my stall team advanced, but these days, most of my method is dated and obsolete (does anyone but me really use SkarmBliss anymore? :P)

Perhaps I need a lesson on modern team building. It's like those 40 year old's that go back to college.

your team is fine, dont worry about it xD

my favorites style of play is switch and Ddance/sword dance. Then i attempt some sort of sweep. However, since i am a new battler this strategy doesnt work as well since i fail at predictions

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Since there is a lack of "messy moves" like Confuse Ray and Attract, the opponent never sees it coming. Mine would be to mess with the enemie's head, like the ParaFlinch Combo

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
Years
i forgot to mention that i use trick leads a lot (usually with choice scarf)
it works most of the time, but people who know me well can predict it and switch into something that's also choiced

i also try to get some entry hazards up, usually rocks, which may or may not be done by my lead

Mac@ACK!

RIP Chompy... Hello Zekrom!
Years
I've been shaky with strategies, but lately, I've been really into crippling the enemy and then sweeping with a bulky sweeper, and a frail sweeper. But I used to baton pass speed and attack boosts from ninjask to DNite and Electivire alot. aah the good ol days.

kierany9

Pokemon Master of the world
Years
I'm all mixed up. I have sweepers(atack), a staller(very annoying pokemon) and a few tanks(defence)
Attack:Blaziken, Lucario, Salamence, Typhlosion, Sudowuddo, Charizard, Infernape
Defence:Snorlax
Mix:Aggron
Annoying:Raichu

Years
  • Seen Oct 14, 2022
The Ideal team is:
1 physical wall and sweeper
1 special wall and sweeper
2mixsweepers.

This way you give yourself almost complete coverage, and unpredictability.

But it's far easierto create a team with 2 physical and 2 special sweepers.

So generally I lead with Uxie+Light clay with the screen that I'm weekest too, stealth rocks, yawn (for scouting/ pounding on damage via stealths/ scouting) and U-Turn. This is my physical wall with impish nature so that you don't lose any of the also awesome special defenses.

Then I have Blissy as my special with Aromatheropy (status' pee the hell out of me :/), softbioled (for stalling), either wish if I'm using very frail teams or t-wave and Siesmic toss. The idea is to switch in on special sweepers, get either a t-wave going to criple the physical attacker coming in, or get free wish. The rest is just there because it's usefull.

One of the best specail sweeps IMO, is starmie. As it has awesome specials and speed, ability to rapid spin, and high coverage with: Ice Beem, Surf and psychic.

Life orbed Gengar's probably a safe bet next as he gives, again, massive coverage (T-bolt, shadow ball, focus blast, sludge bomb)

And then you could have more specific physical, such as 'Ape with SD, sub (subbing down to blaze whilst sd'ing for maximum power) close combat+Flare blitz (lefty's is vital, due to flare blitz). And Scizor (Roost, SD, Bullet punch, bug bite).

That's generally how I like to set my team up, but I often switch geng with jolteon, and have some other crap like noir.

Back