• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you deal with people that make fun of you for play PKMN?

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
I just tell them to just go away. I'm like in Year 7 in School and that still people bother me about it despite me even liking the games, the manga, and even drawing Fanart of it on deviantART. I mean like, if they don't like it, then why even view it?

I remember one saying "lol Pokemon" when I drew a new character with an Oshawott on my dA account. That totally angered me so I just flagged it as spam. But it's pretty nice to see some of my peers in real life accept me for liking it and they still do like it as well, so I just hang out with them.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Actually I don't do anything about it. Some people I know consider Pokemon to be their guilty pleasure so it all works out. No one I know who games really cares either. Everyone in my programming class plays different games from one-another so we really can't judge.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
People don't make fun of me for playing Pokémon.

DarkTower

Passerby Analytics HQ
Years
I bring my 3DS to college and basically play during breaks or in between classes. A few times I've had people say things like "Wow, you STILL play that?". It happens, I suppose. I don't really mind it. In my experience, most people have been really cool about it. In high school I used to randomly give out Pokemon keychains to my classmates. They loved it. I've always been very open about being a Pokemon fan. I think it's important to show people that we aren't all 12 years old.

When it comes to Pokemon, people often say that they've just "grown out of it". I don't think that's the case. I just think that some of us are able to recognize the long-term appeal of the game and value the core RPG and strategic elements, while others don't see past the marketing for younger audiences.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
I don't get flak, but then It is possible they don't even know since I don't talk about playingf Pokémon to anyone...

Years
  • Seen Nov 21, 2012
I've never had to worry about this because Pokemon is cool again when you're in College! :D

-Slick-

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 30, 2017
I just have a diverse group of friends. I have the ones I can talk to about sports related stuff, then I have the ones I can talk to about Pokemon, video games, and anime/manga. It's great to have it balanced out.

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
Most of my friends play Pokemon, but I normally don't bring it up with other people. If I do get bothered about it, which has not happened for a while, my best option is just to ignore it.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
I dont bring it up at school so I havnt got any flack from anyone recently. But with middle school, it was a killer. Basically I just wave it off or simply ignore their comments. If it gets bad I just say "..Why do you even care? If you dont like it then leave it alone." Then walk off. But I think its pretty sad that for many people, pokemon has become sort of a "secret interest" that you cant keep peace with, maybe not even your pals. Sorta like how i'd imagine bronies would feel(I dont speak from experience). But, as mentioned before ignoring them is your best route.

Last edited:

Pvt Tamama

Chii!
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
Somehow I always end up making Pokemon sound like the best game ever and just tell them what other games that I play that can be compared to Pokemon.

Friend: You still play Pokemon?
Me: Yea, unless you can tell me there is some other RPG that let you choose between 600+ different classes and let you have a party of six I think I will just stick to this.
Friend: Isn't that for kids?
Me: Sometimes I just want to play a casual game. If I want to play something hardcore I would play Nocturne.
Friend: What is Nocturne?
Me: Shin Megami Tensei 3, also known as Lucifer's Call in the UK due to some copyright thing with the name. You know, the game with demons?
Friend: wait what?
Me: You are turn into a half demon yourself when the world ends and you have to recruit other demons to even stand a chance. You can recruit the White Rider, Satan, and some other demons from other religion like Hindu and other stuff as well.
Friend: Dude that sound awesome! (at this point I show him a youtube clip or if he is at my house just play a small example of the game)
Me: Yea but it is kinda hard and it is basically just like Pokemon. I play Pokemon to take a break from this sometimes. Pokemons are pretty much demons anyway, read the dex sometimes. Some of their stuff are kinda dark even for adults. (At this point explain a few like Cubone wearing the skull of his mother, Drifloon steal children, Yamask remembering his past life and cry into his mask, etc.)

Basically I give him something that is already cool (mostly dark & edgy) that he have no choice but to agree it is cool then compare it to Pokemon until he understand Pokemon is just as cool just in it's own way.

person: where is this game i must buy it for the glory of all based gods!

Years
  • WI
  • Seen Dec 16, 2012
I'm 15 and a sophomore in high school and unlike the rest of the people who have responded to this, I am usually ridiculed about playing pokemon by my friends except for 3 of them. One of them plays it still but not often. They usually tell me "Hey, why don't you just go and play pokemon/ with your pokemon cards," and I try to shrug it off and it usually doesn't work for me. I don't know what to do, the only other people who play pokemon in my school are ... "special" kids. I would like to try and tell them that it's still fun to me but they cut me off saying "Well pokemon's still gay," so they just gang up on me basically yelling making everyone look at me giggling and smirking. So basically, I am the one who needs tips on this topic,

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Honestly, people don't make fun of me, aside from my dad. He only teases because I used to watch the anime. My best friend does tease a little bit I don't mind much (because I know she doesn't mean it).

Callandor

ughhh....
Years
Shove a rusty metal pipe up their a-

Just ignore it. That's what I do. I'm a brony, and my one friend won't leave it alone. But I don't let it bug me. He has his narrow, simplistic views and I have mine. And if it gets really bad, just tell them off. Or do the above mentioned comment.

Pinta77

Fortunately for me, my friends still play Pokemon on their phones (using emulators)

That's the funny thing. It's cool if it's on your iphone, but not if it's on your DS.

I don't look like someone who plays pokemon. I'm 17, I never played it as a kid, so most people who don't know me well would never guess. But in fact, I bring my DS to school (yeah, high school) quite often. And what's even funnier is the look on people's face when I'm glued to my DS and smoking a cigarette on my way home. Quite a strange sight probably.So what's the moral here?

Don't hide something you like to do for fun just because other people think it's childish, or geeky, or immature. Be yourself. If other people can't get passed that, then they aren't a friend you want to have.

OrangeNess

Layton Lover
Years
I tell them I'd like to see them beat a pokemon game. They say they won't because it's childish, but I think they know they couldn't. I also agree with what pinta77 said.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
My family has learned not to say anything about it really haha, but it's kinda weird because my 9 yr old brother plays Pokemon too (and he's reallly annoying about it). When my friends see my Pokemon games in my room they get kinda weirded out and usually say something like "Pokemon, really?" and I usually say something sassy like "Have you ever played it?" just because it gets really annoying.

Konvict

Embrace The End
Years
I'm 21 years old, I still play, and I still have that fondness for them ridiculously cute critters (Raichu? Azumarill? Dragonite? Lilligant?).

Even when I was in college, my blockmates never gave me grief about it - hell, I got more flak for playing DotA than for Pokemon. One of them even asked to borrow my DS for a week and to start a new file on my (then-recently erased) Diamond.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Oh I have so much experience dealing with stupid people who tease me, not really when it comes to Pokemon, but the way I deal with it is exactly the same: I don't do anything. I'm so far past it, words really don't phase me at all anymore. It's really kinda funny actually that people gotta make fun of others when they probably do something "socially awkward" too.

I have had a couple people make comments about my DS and why I still play it, and I just brushed it aside really.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Don't care, never will. Sometimes, I still find my friends who make fun of me (altho they still play, a little) running up to me asking for answers, but to be honest, no one ever makes fun of me for liking Pokemon & that's a good thing!

Last edited:
Back