• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Espeon and OU

2Fruit

Aka 2Fruit
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 1, 2019
I've been using this team to some success, getting to 1336 on the ladder but am having a bit of trouble with Goth stall, MSabeleye, and Volt-turn teams (in particular Magnezone).

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Manectric mega is fast and can gain momentum, but is vulnerable before it mega evolves and even then it often has to KO or switch out. HP ice almost KO's defensive chomp and Landorus, so with a bit of chip damage it can win. Hippowdon is another story. I may switch it for Raikou or rotom-W later but so far it's a good pokemon that has pulled it's weight.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz

Talonflame is a fantastic win condition and cleanup pokemon. After a swords dance, Brave bird will take off half of even hippowdon's health. Pretty much my only answer to Serperior.

Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Morning Sun
- Baton Pass
- Heal Bell/Calm Mind

Espeon uses it's magic bounce to do what you'd expect, bounce back stealth rock, toxic, spore, thunder wave, (roar?) and other status moves. Psychic gives it something of a presence, morning sun over wish for instant recovery, and baton pass maneuvers a pokemon that can take better advantage of a favourable matchup into position. Originally had calm mind over heal bell to give something for Espeon to pass, and not sure I really need heal bell, but bad things happen if I let Keldeo or Talonflame get paralysed (and Espeon can't always switch in). What do you guys think?

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roar
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Hippowdon uses no offensive moves because it doesn't really have any space. Any boosters are whirlwinded away and Mega Diancie is smacked by Scizor. The only problem is Starmie, which can be a bit of a nuisance.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

This Scizor set was something I saw on this forum and modified to give it a bit more power. Has 3 roles in fairy smashing, U-turning, and defogging, but usually doesn't have to do all 3 of those in one battle. HP fire from most scarf Magnezone fails to KO at full health, which let's Scizor live sometimes, letting it get one more hit or defog before collapsing. I have even thought of running Shed shell on Scizor because it is so important to my team.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Calm Mind

Keldeo is the pokemon I feel is best at taking advantage of the momentum the other team members generate, thanks to calm mind and Icy wind messing with attempts by the opponent to send in Latios, Serperior, Celebi, and Thundurus. Raikou with a choice specs still KO's Keldeo even after a calm mind.

That's it really, am working on memorizing damage and speed calcs so that I can tell if opposing pokemon have choice items or not. Would appreciate input on any pokemon on the team.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
As Hippowdon has excellent physical bulk, it can afford to use a mixed defensive spread: 252 HP/144 Def/112 SDef allows Hippowdon to avoid the 2HKO from Hidden Power (Ice) coming from Thundurus and opposing Mega Manectric. The max HP/max Defense spread is better suited for stall teams.

Substitute + Calm Mind + Leftovers is better for Keldeo so it can more easily set up against defensive teams. Scizor can handle the Latis that lack Hidden Power (Fire).

Sharp Beak or Sky Plate is better on offensive Talonflame, IMO, since they power up Brave Bird without drawbacks.

Shed Shell is unnecessary on Scizor, as it can simply U-turn out of Magnet Pull and Shadow Tag. Leftovers is better on it too, as Life Orb will make it waste away its decent bulk, even with Roost access.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
I like Reflect on Espeon as it lets you not get wasted by hazard users and helps cushion hits over BP.

Also if you're using Morning Sun, DONT use Sandstream on Hippowdon as it cuts the recovery. Use Sandforce or w/e Hippow gets.

Also every time foe Keldeo comes in you have to fodder something, this is not good at all. Granted it cannot switch in much at all but its something to think of. Same with other bulky waters with the ability to stat increase (Suicune, Manaphy, Slowbro (mega), as soon as Manectric is down forget about it. Curse Gastrodon (who is seeing more usage) is a straight 6-0. Id look into bolstering your defenses vs bulky waters basically, even more so because Scald is very unforgiving against this team.

However i think the more pressing issue is that this team cannot switch into dragons at all. Scizor is KO'd with rocks up by LO Lati@s draco meteor, same with anything special dragon wise (i.e Altaria @ Fire Blast etc). Both these can switch in easily too. I feel a fairy would work on this team.

Scizor and Espeon seem the most dead weight here to replace and fix the aforementioned issues.

Back