• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
txteclipse, I'm not going to pay some money just to go halfway around the world just to
your cat.

Heh, I don't post my exact location either. It'll be pretty hard to find little old me in a few million Sydneysiders... xD And, if you're stupid enough, you'll go to "Osstraylia"...

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
txteclipse,

Heh, I don't post my exact location either. It'll be pretty hard to find little old me in a few million Sydneysiders... xD And, if you're stupid enough, you'll go to "Osstraylia"...

personally,I think anyone who would post there address on the internet for no apparent reason is ****ing retarded.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
it's probably not a good idea to post my true address online. My enemies might intercept the information.
For a brief while, my address was 1095 Wayne Avenue, Chambersburg, PA 17201

Soon, it will be 8525 North Tryon Street, Charlotte, NC 28262, again for a brief period.

In 2006 it was temporarily 3725 Avenue of the Carolinas, Fort Mill, SC 29708 and later 3509 Clemson Boulevard, Anderson, SC 29621.

I dare anyone to Google these addresses in an attempt to track my movements XD

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
Who hasn't put their favorite Pokemon in a fanfic?

I haven't--or at least, not all of them. I have three favorites: Lugia, Mewtwo, and absol. While the latter two have appeared in one-shots, Lugia has yet to make an appearance.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Apartments or hotels, its hard to tell form satellite

Also your location is in Westpoint VA, are you perhaps going to Westpoint military school?

Actually, you're about a state off:) Believe me, I would not survive a week in military school 0_O

And so that I'm not entirely off topic or tempted to try some more Rick Rolling b.s., here's a new topic:

Do you utilize the concept of the Master Ball in your fics, i.e., as a plot device to have your character get their hands on Legendaries? Do you think that using such a device is "cheap" in fanfiction?
I do not use the Master Ball in any iteration in my fic. And yes, a Master Ball is a horribly cheap way for a noob/Sue/Stu to get their hands on their favorite Legendary Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
Do you utilize the concept of the Master Ball in your fics, i.e., as a plot device to have your character get their hands on Legendaries? Do you think that using such a device is "cheap" in fanfiction?

I haven't even included a Master Ball in any of my fics so far, but if I did it would probably not be used to capture anything, and just be used as a small reference in a paragraph or something. However, if I did include a Master Ball and have a character capture a Legendary with it, I wouldn't have that trainer use the Legendary in battle. It would probably have something to do with the trainer "rescuing" a Legendary with a Master Ball as a last resort... Or something like that. XP

I don't think the Master Ball itself is "cheap" in fanfics. But, what is cheap is when the author uses it on a Legendary or some otherwise-overpowered Poekmon, and then pretends like that Pokemon will obey the trainer's every command. Just because your character captures a Pokemon (especially a Legendary) shouldn't mean that Pokemon will now battle for them without question.

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016

When I write, I always like to include Articuno.
Articuno is my absolute favorite.The next story I'm writing, I want to put Articuno in, but it wouldn't fit with the plot or area used.
There is a slim chance that it will work with the plot, which won't affect the fact that it is from a different area. Still in the production stages.

P.S. I'm back! Lobster diving was ... okay.

txteclipse

The Last
Years

I haven't yet, but it's an interesting concept. Sure, it could be used as a cheap way for a trainer to get a legendary, but I'm thinking more from a Pokemon's perspective, or from a more non-canonical sense, anyways. Like what happens if a Masterball is used on Arceus? Or if a terribly inept trainer gets his hands on one, catches a legendary which he could otherwise have absolutely no chance of catching, and embarks on a completely slipshod and conflict riddled version of the OT journey? These I would love to read.

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016

I don't use that concept. I think a trainer shouldn't catch a legendary unless the character is like Bill.
I think Bill fits that category - so I think it would be fine if it was a story about Bill, but besides that - I don't see much point in it.

Seeing legendaries makes sense, but capturing them seems a little evil. They are supposed to balance the world. Catching one offsets that balance. In a video game, it is perfectly fine; there is no balance to offset :P

I think that using that method would be "cheap," unless it was used for the "Bill" type character.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years

Master Balls are already so rare and valuable that having a main character get one is rather stu-ish in and of itself. I think that if a writer can manage to pull off their MC getting a master ball in a reasonable manner, they'd be able to pull off a subsequent legendary capture as well.

At least in all the canons with which I'm familiar, master balls are so rare as to not be sold in shops, at least not in the kind that your game-avatar frequents. Therefore, their price must be prohibitively high, so you're stuck with either a) your character having devoted a considerable amount of effort to earning enough money to purchase one, b) managing to win one in a contest somehow, or c) putting in the effort to steal one. Presumably, what with the amount of work you'd need to get a master ball under most circumstances, you'd have a pretty big capture in mind if you really needed the assurance of a master ball. Other than to get something ridiculously rare, such as a legendary, shiny, or other pokémon typically associated with sueishness, I don't see why a character would go after a master ball in the first place. Therefore, it seems logical that if an author is able to handle the acquisition of the master ball with aplomb, they are more likely to be able to handle a legendary capture logically as well--so no, it's certainly not cheap, unless the writer makes it an easy out when it shouldn't be.

Master balls haven't appeared at all in my own 'fics, and the sole legendary capture to date was made using a perfectly ordinary pokéball.

Bay

Years
I never had a Master Ball put in my fic yet. As for a cheap plot device, I don't think so if the character managed to get one at a resasonable way.

Man, some things Negrek said made me want to write a one shot about someone stealing a Master Ball. xD

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016

I'm guilty of that. My favorite Pokemon is Growlithe, but there aren't any Growlithe's in Sinnoh.

Oh and I'm BAAAAAAAAACK.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 29, 2019

I don't plan on using a Master Ball in the story I'm currently writing. In writing to come, I might, but more likely than not I'll stay away from it. Mostly because I don't like focusing stories on legendaries (even though the one I'm writing now will include a legendary). Using a Master Ball isn't cheap in my opinion, but it needs to be very hard to get to make it seem realistic, unless if the character in question is a high ranking person in the company that makes them or something. However, using one to capture a legendary without consequences is a little out there. Though a story about a legend being caught and the world going in to chaos as a result might be interesting.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
I would not survive a week in military school 0_O

And so that I'm not entirely off topic or tempted to try some more Rick Rolling b.s., here's a new topic:

I might last two.

No, In my fic, pokeballs are in there early stage, and the general public does not know about them. Cheap, yes.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
WARNING: this is a rant. It is formulated to address a concern I've had for some time now about a fairly intangible problem, and will probably not make sense to anyone with the exception of myself and perhaps a Japanese chimpanzee. It affects my writing, in any case, and I am hoping that I may be blessed with at least some form of peace once I get it off my chest. In a gesture of good taste for people whom do not wish to read this, I shall make it a spoiler.

Spoiler:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
I believe I'm going crazy. I have words stuck in my head that don't exist, and it's making it very difficult and annoying to write. One such word is "extrelcium." I thought at first that it might be Latin, but a quick check of my favorite online translation service provided evidence to the contrary. It is in fact not a word in any language, and if it can be imagined this is very concerning.

So here I am, at my computer, typing my latest chapter, and my mind is saying "extrelcium, extrelcium, extrelcium." Needless to say, I feel like smacking my forehead against something very hard and equally unforgiving. I am assuming that this issue is stemming at least partly from my half-attempts at creating a new language for my fic, which adds some reason to it, but it's annoying nonetheless.

The worst part is that I sometimes think of saying it to people, such as using it like a retort in a verbal dispute, because it sounds somewhat epic and may therefore be taken at face value as a viable argument. Here's what I imagine:

Other person: "I would have a battle of wits with you, but I never fight someone unarmed."

Me: "Oh yeah? Well...extrelcium."

Other person (contrite): "I'm not worthy!" *bows*

I am sure, however, that the scenario would actually end rather differently, with me ending up looking like a fool in front of everyone. So you see my problem, or are currently nodding politely with a faux smile plastered on your face if you do not.

Luckily, I believe I have come up with a solution, and one only: to assign a meaning to this meaningless word. Therefore, and henceforth, "extrelcium" shall be depicted as a metal in my fics, comparable to the fantastical element "mythril" of LotR lore or "adamantium" from the beloved Marvel universe.

That is all. Forgive me my derange'd state, my obvious need of sleep, and my waste of space. Feel free to continue about your lives acting as though you have never read this, or to take a moment of silence and wish that my mental state takes a turn for the better.

Oh dear lord, I believe you're making me go crazy. xDD

Extrelcium sounds like a word all right! As a metal...that's not bad...xDD

I reckon it made perfect sense. Your head made up the word "extrelcium" but you dunno where it came from! You want to use it but cos it's not real, you can't. You instead make up a meaning in your fanfiction and turn it into a metal!

Was that a good explanation?

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years

I don't use 'em myself, but the device is really only as cheap as the Pokemon captured and its reaction to being caught. Say your trainer catches Mewtwo- the moment he lets him out of the master ball, somebody will quite probably die, and it will not be everyone's favorite angsty psychic powered clone. That's not cheap, that's logical. Say he catches Raikou, Entei, etc. What are their reactions to being caught? They probably play the "kaythanksbai!" card the moment they're let out of the Pokeball and run screaming away into the grasslands. Groudon? RAMPAGE. Kyogre? RAMPAGE. And the list goes on....

...Now I wanna write about every single legendary's reaction to being caught by a trainer. 0.o

Years

not used the idea yet... its a bit cheap yeah

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
Hm. Well, I plan on the Master Ball showing up in The Sixth Warrior, but not as a plot device. It's going to play a more "insert one of Aqua's complex Pokeworld theories here" role, sparking a PokeSpecial-style explanation rant on how Pokeballs work in my T6W fanon.

But then, Master Balls aren't foolproof in T6W. They only fully guard against certain, common methods of breaking a Pokeball's inner workings, so they can't catch Legendaries. Nothing can catch Legendaries in my fics. They're deities. They can't be beaten by anything except another Legendary.

Using a Master Ball as a way to just give your character a Legendary for no reason or to make their quest easier is cheap. If there's a good reason for it all...eh, it depends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back