• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Previous PotM Winner][July] If you were were a mod...

Black Ice

[XV]
Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2023
i was a global mod on gtsplus/gpxplus at one point but college took my internet life away. i don't really know what i was like as a person but my duty pretty much just included handling reports and answering questions. i don't think i gave very many actual warnings

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
Years
I would warn people first via PM, then I'd give a legit warning using the system from the forums, & then I'd give an infraction if it was a minor offense. If it was one of the more serious offenses, I'd either go straight to a legit warning or an infraction, depending on the severity of the offense. I would also try to make the sections I mod as active as possible on the forums rather than lame & boring.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm pretty lax and easy going. I also like to get in the topics in my forums and mingle with my regulars and such. I don't like to infract, unless someone did something really severe, or has done it multiple times (like spamming 7 different threads in the span of 10 minutes ugh). And then there's always that chance that they'll reply and ***** you out for doing your job, even if you were nice about it in the message that goes out. And honestly, if people that do mess up and get an infraction, if they read this thread, they'll find pretty much every staff member that's posted in here has said they don't like to give infractions. So we're not power hungry lions that people think we are. We're human beings and we're just doing our job here to keep things organized and straight. Sometimes that means discipline...so get over it. Real life has worse consequences when those rules are broken.

I also like to keep things really tidy, so if something belongs elsewhere, I usually move it, unless it needs to go somewhere that is under approval, like Emulation. And I lock things if they've already gotten an answer. I'll admit I'm strict about my Q&A threads though. lol

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
Years
Just do what I am supposed to do like other mods here and not screw anything up.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I think I'd be pretty harsh with verbal warnings (not so much infractions because I like to give people chances) but less harsh than I used to be when I modded.
When I was mod, I looked though every new post in my section every day after school to make sure no one was breaking any rules and to make sure no flamebaiting or flame wars broke out, and PMed the appropriate people to give them a heads-up depending on what I found. Haha.. talk about being anal. I'd be too lazy/busy for that now. But back then the DCC was VERY active and there was a bigger chance of that happening. I'd be much more lax now, but I dislike when people -deliberately- break rules.. however if they want to appeal it, they'd be more than welcome to oblige. I think events and emblems are fun! I would TOTALLY make an ego-emblem called Kura-Rage.. I am sure quite a few people know what that would entail! Hahaha!

I also hate when threads are closed instead of moved. I'd be more lax on the thread-revival rule if it was relevant and not just for a bump. I think the 4 word rule is important and it helps wean out spam. I would also encourage some real discussion and make sure emblems are handed out to those who have some well thought-out posts or topics. Hmm.. what else... I would like another shot at maybe reviving the IRC through member-held events- but I could do that as a member instead of being a mod. Not sure what else I'd do as mod.. I don't care about profiles and I wouldn't change my theme. I already have enough PM space and a blog so.. I dunno.. I wouldn't go too crazy laying the banhammer on anyone or anything haha... >_> or so you'd.. think >:3..

Latios77

*** uP ToWn FuNk ***
Years
Say you were promoted to moderator or other staff , what kind of mod would you be? In other words how you handle modding duties? Would you be lenient and shrug things off , mostly give warnings and not infarct people for simple mistakes? Or would you be strict and punish any rule-breaking you can find?

What's one thing you love to do the most? Giving out emblems? Having bigger profile pictures or fancier usertitles? Closing threads?

If you're already on staff/former staff, what kind of moderator are/were you? Answer the same questions as above , but from your perspective of being on staff.

1) If it was just minor things I would just give off a warning. However if the severity is high enough I'd have to be responsible and hand out the punishment accordingly. Sticking with minor stuff however if it was a repeat ordeal and the person doing it won't change then the infraction would have to be issued.

2)Having the responsibility of making the forums a happy and safe place to be /generic answer.

3) Not here but in a local forum I was the head administrator of the site. Skins, rules, contests hiring, firing. Almost everything on a daily basis. It was fun despite the occasional Advil taking.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I was quite a lenient mod back in the day. Partially because most of my responsibilities were about boosting posting rather than dealing with troublemakers. But even when a few troublemakers did arise, I didn't give out all that many infractions. Instead, I preferred verbal warnings. For the most part, they seemed to get the job done as well: there were very few repeat offenders of the 'No Listing Rule' once I'd had a go at them! Indeed, I can probably count on one hand the number of infractions I gave out as a mod! :D

Nakala Pri

I would be playful, not at all intimidating and I would give people warnings. If they ignored me completely, then I would call in the big guns. >:T

I would love to hand out Emblems and stuff. That would rock! :P

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I'd take the rules literally without much room for lenience. Yellow cards are the only warnings, as far as I'm concerned (assuming they haven't expired). I don't really suffer noobs poorly, I just see it as a mechanical job. If it proves feasible, I'd even prepare a list of standard responses for closing, moving, merging or splitting threads (can mods here even split threads?). Mind you, I wouldn't be a copout about that; if I can do anything but close a thread, I will; and if anyone asks for help, they shall receive. Of course, the flipside of my nature is that I'm not one to boost a section's activity or anything like that; I'd be better off going straight to S-mod. I don't expect I'd bother with emblems at all.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I barely spent 6 months as a mod, but man were they fun. I read every post in Pokémon Trivia/Forum Games and took as a mission to warn/infract everyone who posted more than 5 posrs breaking the four words rule. Guess I was so obssesive the highers decided to make me stop by giving me a promotion!

I became much more lenient after that, though.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Unfortunately, I close a lot of threads compared to the other staff, I think. D: There's really no place for a rule-breaking gallery / shop to go on PC.. so moving threads isn't an option. :( Luckily for me, tom foolery doesn't make a highly regular appearance in A&D.

But I try to avoid it as much as possible. I usually tell the thread maker that they need [insert criteria] for their gallery to remain open and give them some time to finish it. If they ignore the thread / don't log on again / ask to close it (usually because they need 15 posts), then I'll lock it with a message that I can reopen it when they have the means to comply with the rules. So I try to be as accommodating as possible. Seldom do I hand out infractions though, as none of my regulars really do anything that's infraction worthy! n_n; I prefer verbal warnings over bringing down the hammer, definitely.

So I'm pretty lenient all and all. If I absolutely must take some kind of moderation action, I always try to be as polite as I can and communicate openly. Save any severe incident that must be handled immediately.

Anyway, I definitely like all the perks of being staff, but I think my favorite thing is helping people-- as cheesy as that sounds. And even though I don't do it much, giving emblems is pretty fun. :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Being mod sounds kinda boring. Also there's this great unanswered question hanging around: how in the world are there so many people posting their stuff on the wrong place and why seem some normal users (mostly newcomers) to break the rules (which not always happens on purpose) even though nearly everywhere you get to hear that you have to obey them and most of the time there's also a link provided that directs you to those rules?

I guess I'd go the strict way, warning where warning is needed and so on. That's the guy I am.

But admin is where it's at: installing plugins, parsing users posts like crazy, having all the powers and responsibilities :P

Years
I would ban everybody just for fun and over run the forum. >:3

Nah, umm, I suppose I would only really give warnings if someone does something stupid, if it's called for a short ban, I wouldn't permaban something, I would let someone else make the call for that. But to be honest, I wouldn't really wanna be a mod, having to check up everything all the time and keep law in check, haha. I would just rather explore the place and just contribute into posting, instead of enforcing the rules, so I'm happy with just the report button.

Reinforce

Reinforce Production
Years
To be a forum moderator you need to have a experience when it comes on moderatong a forum, and giving a warnig to those who breaks rules and regulation is my duty.
You need to be fair with others giving them second chance is ther rights but after that chance and still not following the rules & reg them its time for you to give that member a lesson.

Being a moderator isn't that simple, you need to have a patient and most of all you need to have a time specially moving wrong section post to the correct section. Helping others who need a help(but when it comes to financial i guess both of us have that problem xD)
Oh well doing the job is really what you need to do.

Callīope1

█ uranianUmbra
Years
I'd probably handle it the same as I used to, which is give someone three warnings, and then the forth time they break a rule I start handling them infractions. That's for smaller rule that are broken. If it's something heavier, then I might only warn once, and then infract. If they curse out someone, or spam on purpose then I just infract - because if they're self-aware then they don't deserve so many chances to clean up their act. -w-

Obviously, spammy threads are just locked, but I'd explain to them why I did.. probably through PM, if not in the actual thread.

I guess I'm lax, I'm definitely not super strict.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I'd be lenient, but firm. I stand by a "You were warned" "Second time? Infraction" method of doing things. You get one shot. You cannot say you were not aware because the rules are all over the place + you received a verbal warning. If you should continue to behave in a manner unfit for the forum, then you deserve to be infracted. If you keep doing the same error, you'll be infracted until suspension / expulsion.

Mod perks I like? HTML member titles, bigger avatar and closing / moving threads. Though, 150x150 avatar from supportership is good enough for me.

Years
Give out free fried chicken (or food of their choice) to PC Supporters, and provide all members with a complementary Crazy Straw.

...I promise you, if mods did this, I would die of happiness.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
When I first started my job as a moderator for Other Entertainment back in the day, I was pretty strict. Not because I necessarily felt the need to be, but in order for me to have any kind of work at all, I had to be more strict than I felt was necessary. Otherwise, my position would have been really pointless. Back then, Other Entertainment just wasn't a go-to forum for anybody. Nowadays, some people have made it their home forum, but back then, those members weren't here, and despite how hard I tried, I couldn't make that forum what I wanted it to be, and what I felt it should be. My frame of mindset was simple. Everyone here listens to music, watches TV, and reads. Why wouldn't they want to talk about it?

I went on demoted leave of absences so many times because I got frustrated and wanted time away from dealing with things. When I came back from one of them, I was added as an additional moderator to Other Voting Polls. I don't really remember much of what I did here. A little while later, I was promoted to smod.

When I was promoted to smod, my views on the forums shifted dramatically. Even though I was already headed in that direction anyway, because of things going on in my life, I didn't view things as that big of a deal around here. One of the threads that I made when I became smod was the Moderator Guidelines. Its by far my most favorite thread that I've created here, and in it, I made a sort of guidebook to someone's first days as a moderator that they would be able to look at as a reference for how to handle problems. I used myself and how I deal with issues as a basis on it.

The thing I love the most about my position is definitely HQ. I've wanted to become part of it for a long time before I finally got the chance, and I think I'm better suited for smod than I am for mod. If I was a mod again at this point in time, I don't think I would be a very good one. I don't view things as seriously as I think a moderator should to be able to do their job as well as I would expect them to. As far as the rules are concerned, I don't care about upholding the majority of them. The only one that I care about is respecting each other, because I feel that that is the only one that should matter. If someone posts in a thread that's been dead for two years, so what? If someone doesn't have four words and twenty-five characters in their post, who cares? Those things, I don't deal with the way that the rules say we should. Most I'd do is remove the problem. I feel like punishing members by infracting them for things that aren't important to me is unnecessary because, more often than not, I view infracting to be unnecessary.

Unfortunately, because of how honest I can be, the way that I structure my thoughts, and because of how strict I was when I started, I feel that that kind of follows me and people just assume that I'm much stricter than I actually am.

Back