• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Suikoden: The False God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
So I've decided that with boss battles that you'll be healed before and after the battle. This way, you can focus on the battle at hand instead of being warn out from random encounters. Like? Dislike? Lol?

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Makes it slightly less challenging

but sounds good
execpt for the final battles.
the final ones need to be challenging

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Well, the thing is, the opponents are set at a higher level and have much less monotonous movesets, unlike something you'd get in a typical Pokemon game. They also have higher base stats, a "good" character to have in your party would have a total of about 500 for their base stats, which by Pokemon standards is kind of meh.

The first boss is actually quite difficult but since you have a crutch character (Sasarai), it can be made a piece of cake if you use him. You get more EXP by using other characters though... which is a better idea considering Sasarai will leave your group in a little bit. I'll post a video soon, I need to get his Spritesheet up.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
how are you with overworlds?

cause if you need some help i'm willing to get my hands dirty (haven't had work in ages)

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Actually, I'm okay with mapping and as I said I'm not going to accept any helpers, but if you want to help with tiles I'm all open for that.

The battle between you and the Raven D:

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
._. i said overworlds ... as in
these things
My_OWs_o_2_by_nintendork15.png

I can do any style requested all i need is a battle sprite or something to get some colour pallettes from :D

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Ooooh okay. (duh I thought overworld as in... well... you know O.o' )

Yeah the other guy doing overworlds is quite busy. He's already done the following characters:

Code:
Caesar
Apple
Riou
Joshua
And he's working on

Code:
Tir (although it's not going well)
Viktor
Fred
Flik
Anyone else on the "Confirmed Character" list is fair game, I'm going to link with some official art pictures from Konami so people can see what they look like.

It's preferred if the overworlds are 16x32 pixels. There should be one for looking down, up and left. You aren't required to do walking sprites but if you want to you sure are welcome to do so.

EDIT: All of the confirmed characters link to art. If you want to do one, let me know.

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Um...
Are those birds supposed to be bigger than human warriors...?

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Ooooh okay. (duh I thought overworld as in... well... you know O.o' )

Yeah the other guy doing overworlds is quite busy. He's already done the following characters:

Code:
Caesar
Apple
Riou
Joshua
And he's working on

Code:
Tir (although it's not going well)
Viktor
Fred
Flik
Anyone else on the "Confirmed Character" list is fair game, I'm going to link with some official art pictures from Konami so people can see what they look like.

It's preferred if the overworlds are 16x32 pixels. There should be one for looking down, up and left. You aren't required to do walking sprites but if you want to you sure are welcome to do so.

EDIT: All of the confirmed characters link to art. If you want to do one, let me know.

I could give Chris and Geddoe a try?

Maxima

Silver
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 17, 2016
Okay, I'm a huge Suikoden fan. Suikoden II is still one of my favorite games to this day. But are you should you should be hacking a Pokemon game for it? I mean, the battle scene looks really weird this way.

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Okay, I'm a huge Suikoden fan. Suikoden II is still one of my favorite games to this day. But are you should you should be hacking a Pokemon game for it? I mean, the battle scene looks really weird this way.
<3

It does, but the challenge here is to see how close we can get it. I'm really not too worried about visuals though, right now I'm working with a couple of other guys to get some ideas for the mechanics and a basic playthrough guideline. This way people can test the gameplay while we add more and more on. It's very difficult but we're working creatively to see what we can do. Think of it as a challenge of my abilities.

One thing that will definitely stay the same in the finalized version is the flip of the sprite perspective - my ASM is nowhere near as good as it would need to be in order for me to rearrange the battle, and unfortunately I haven't found a way to animate the sprites beyond the 1-2 second blip they get when released into the battle.

Anyways, a sample of the ideas I'm throwing around for mechanics...

Blacksmith
For example, this will require some serious ASM in the codes, but I have an idea of how a blacksmith should work - instead of obtaining EVs from opponent Pokemon, you go to a guy who's script will do the following things:
1. Extract the first Pokemon's data through ASM and put it in the RAM
2. Check the value of their Attack and Sp. Attack EV (These will be raised at the same time). Will also check if the 510 limit has been reached
3. Check if these values do not go above a set value, this is based on the blacksmith's level
4. Asks you if you want to raise the weapon level. Value is doubled for each time raised
5. Adds 10 to EVs. Goes up to max. 150. (total 300)

In this way stat gains are controlled.

I still have no idea how I'm going to do armour though...

I'm thinking about adding Kenji (SIII) simply for a similar script that will boost speed... at a price. He works out with you, you get a speed boost. I'm not sure about HP, but it will probably be food related.

Castle Stuff
By the way, the castle will do a check as the map is loaded to check which characters are in your party. When a certain character is in your party, they will not appear in the castle, which means you can't access their special events.

Runes?
Runes are abilities that can be obtained through shops. Think TMs basically, although their set PP is MUCH lower than most moves. (7PP is high for a Rune based attack). They're organized into different levels, but unlike normal runes they only have one attack. The first 25 are basic elemental runes and work as follows:
[element]1
[element]2
[element]3
[element]4
[element]5

Another idea that I've been throwing around, but haven't confirmed, is one that resembles the actual rune system far more accurately - in a rune shop you can buy runes, and they have no effect when you buy them, unless you get them affixed. You can't dictate where they get affixed but each one gives you access to 2 attacks. Because of this, I would add an extra level for the rune before "True Rune" status. So instead of something like

Lightning
Thunder

I would add something in there as well, maybe Spark or Storm or something. The problem with this is that it would require a large amount of ASM and very advanced scripting.

True Runes, when accessed by a storyline, will be special because they will automatically be affixed to the first move. I'm looking into how moves are deleted because they will not be able to be deleted (although why would you want to? lol), while abilities (used to traverse certain obstacles, think HMs) would.

Either way, the TM pocket will become the "Runes" pocket, lol

EDIT: I'm posting these ideas from now on in the first post as reference.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2013
oooh ooooh pick me i know wat a true rune iz... ive owned sukz 1 thru 5 (like 3 n 5 the best) hope thiz hack workz out im lookin 4ward to it

Years
Natas, if more than a month has passed since the last valid post in a thread was made, you cannot post in it. Almost a year has passed since the last post was made; this counts as thread revival. Please familiarize yourself with the rules found in the sticky threads throughout the forums.
Corvidae, if you'd like this thread reopened, just give me a VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back