• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
Years
It's obviously Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. But I'm already in the orgy, so the free pass is wasted upon me.
Ooooooohhhhhh. I haven't seen that one, which definitely explains why I couldn't figure it out. I think the only Indiana Jones movie I have seen was Raiders of the Lost Ark, and that was years ago. I should probably revisit that movie and watch all of the others o.O

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Temple of Doom is my favorite one. =P For a lot of reasons.

I don't have time to watch a lot of movies. I buy a few, but I don't watch them right away. Like, I have two Vince Vaughn movies to watch sitting in my DVD drawer (and Fred Claus coming out in less than a week), and they just sit there because I don't, or can't, watch movies. Same with actively watching any television. I'm always doing something else.

Or I could just go with Meg Griffin's excuse: "I'm a girl! I don't like Monty Python!"

Post Office Buddy

Years
I don't have time to watch a lot of movies. I buy a few, but I don't watch them right away.
I know what you mean about not having time. I have school and work pretty much eating my life, and I read/play video games in my spare time while checking here for updates and whatnot. I don't think I've actually sat down and watched a movie in like three months now, and that was when I went to see a movie with my fiance.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Your plan has been foiled, txteclipse! My laptop hates Youtube, so I can't go onto the site unless I want my laptop to explode into flames. And right now, I like my pants.

And, well, I'm too busy reading to watch a movie. Like I said, there's always something else that I'm doing so I can't give my full attention to anything. Plus, my mind wanders horrifically during a movie, so I get restless when watching a movie.

Oh gods. I hated the fourth movie. So horrible there was nothing for me to even quote from there, or act out like the other three after I saw it. I just went "D:" and then watched the first three.

Post Office Buddy

Years
And, well, I'm too busy reading to watch a movie. Like I said, there's always something else that I'm doing so I can't give my full attention to anything. Plus, my mind wanders horrifically during a movie, so I get restless when watching a movie.
Are you sure you're not, like, my long-lost sister or something? I have that same problem. I have to multitask just about every minute of the day. I blame my ADD. That's also why I say random things. Like the occassional "I liek mudkipz" I throw in every once in a while.

Oh, I keep forgetting to ask, but what does the "+" sign by names mean in the "currently active users viewing this thread" display at the bottom? I am quite mystified by it.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Perhaps. It wouldn't be the first time I suddenly found that I share a lot of qualities with someone that's rather freaky. But yeah, I get really bored if I sit there and watch a movie sometimes. I'm always moving somehow, either shifting constantly in my seat or just getting up and leaving for a few minutes. And then after I watch a movie, I tend to run outside because I want to move.

Oh, I keep forgetting to ask, but what does the "+" sign by names mean in the "currently active users viewing this thread" display at the bottom? I am quite mystified by it.
It means you have that person added to your own Friends List here. XD

Post Office Buddy

Years
It means you have that person added to your own Friends List here. XD
Oooooooohhhhhhhhh. For the longest time I was thinking it was that the person had multiple tabs/pages open, and before that thought it meant they were replying to the thread or were in a subforum. Thanks for that information.

Wow, I just realized how few people here I have on my friends list. I shall change that!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Well, I do have both IE and Firefox open. And I have two tabs opened in each. So your guess that we're all multi-tasking would be correct for me. XD

But yeah, that was one of the few things that confused me when I first joined forums. I was like "wtf is this plus sign?" That, and how did people get all of those bold and italics and special fonts in their posts.

Dear lord, I was retarded back then.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
It was either "Dear lord", "Dear gods", or "Dear Andy".

Now I'm wondering why I didn't use the last one. ;;

And I know all now. Muhahahahahaha. So, yeah. *cough* Well, I don't know everything, but I try to get the bloody answers from these tossers that I patrol the forums with.

Haha. Someone keeps changing the rating of the FFL. It went from three, to five, to four. You people are dense.

Post Office Buddy

Years
Lol, I figured out the special fonts quickly enough, but the fonts in people's names confused me until recently. The plus thing was really the last thing (at least that I know of) that I was confused about.

Hmm, I have a question. This one isn't so much about the fanfic aspect, but more about you as a writer.

Did you start writing fanfiction thinking you were already a great writer, or did you start knowing that your writing would be greatly flawed?
I'll answer first, and will say that I thought that I was a good writer already. However, I was soon proven wrong after posting a bit on IGN and here. The feedback I got showed me several errors that are now obvious to me, and although I have significantly improved since March, I am by no means a great writer.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Did you start writing fanfiction thinking you were already a great writer, or did you start knowing that your writing would be greatly flawed?

I pretty much knew I was decent, as I took advanced English courses in High School, but I wasn't really expecting to be perfect or anything. I started writing more for fun than anything, and my skills developed as an aside.

Post Office Buddy

Years
I took advanced English courses as well, but they did nothing to prepare me for actual fictional writing. Most of what we practiced was exposition and peer review. At the time of the conception of my Prologue for The Fall of Light, I could write a mean essay but was horrible at anything but. The opposite has actually occurred now, since I can write decent fiction but am horrendous at exposition. I just need practice again, and need to balance out my skills better.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
*Bursts in through a wall, dressed in battle-hardened armor with several Nerf guns attached.*

ASSSSTINUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS!!!! *Does a Phoenix Wright-style finger point at person in question.* I hereby accept your challenge!

To demonstrate my humility, I submit to the will of our god Andrew and you, his messenger upon this fair earth! I admit that I am but a speck of dust on the floor behind the freezer in the corner of the basement of the *looks up world's largest building on Wikipedia* Boeing Everett Factory compared to the grandeur and sheer might of you two combined!

I then offer these gifts of arms, my most treasured possessions, as demonstration of my faith and goodwill! I am sure that in your hands, such weapons will serve you well, driving your relentless crusade against the malevolent species known as n00bs ever onwards!

*Pulls off the Longshot sniper rifle and Recon assault rifle strapped to his back, tossing them to Astinus' feet. He then unholsters his Maverick revolver from his right hip and Firefly submachine gun from his left, tossing them to Astinus as well.*

May my gifts made in the name of faith aid to the blood shed by your hands!

As for knowledge! ...Uh...uh...

*Taps his chin thoughtfully*

I know the full name of our god! Andrew "Ender" Wiggin! I SHALL BASK IN HIS GLORY AS I SUBMIT TO HIM AND HIS MESSENGER! I OBEY! I OBEY!

*Collapses against the wall, drooling*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*In an alternate universe that Shrike manages to communicate from while his self in reality is in a comatose state due to his devote worship...*

Damn it, you guys post too fast! And there's too many new questions, gah! >_<

Oh, yeah, I noticed the rating thing too. You can thank me for bumping it up to five, but now it's down again... :(

*Interjection from reality:* THE BLASPHEMERS SHALL BURN! LET OUR GOD RAIN HIS FIERY, FOAMY NERF DEATH UPON ALL UNBELIEVERS!

Uh, yeah. I think I'm going bipolar. Oh well. Anyways...I refuse to answer your character-related questions! Mwahaha, I'm so awesome. And lazy. And I want to finish this post and get to bed.

BUT I SHALL ANSWER THIS ONE!

Define "start." If you mean way back when around 2000 when I began writing for the very very very first time, then yes, I did think I was good. Skip to around 2003 when I finally realized how I could never actually finish anything I started, and my beliefs began to slip. Then in 05 when I stopped writing for a period I outright believed I sucked. But I began writing again near the end of that year and thought I was okay. But then I really started again in early 06 with the advent of TFC and what eventually turned into TRINITY, IMPULSE as well as the oft-forgotten Walking in the Shadows of Gods (A Myst/Uru and Pokémon crossover, whee!). I thought I was okay then, somewhat above average compared to many other newbie writers, disregarding the fact that I wasn't technically a newbie having five years of secret, fractured, and horrifying experience behind my belt.

Now, back to prostrating! ...Wait, that's my other self... Ah well, might as well do it too!

*Worships*

...I can't tell if you guys are rubbing off on me, I've always been this way, or if I just really need to get to bed. Maybe all three...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I thought I was the greatest writer ever!

I was swiftly proved wrong. But I continued to write and get better, by writing, reading, and reviewing. I learned from reading other fics to see what to do and what not to do. I learned from my own reviews. I learned by leeching off people who were better than I was. I would snatch onto their tail ends and hope that they would take me under their wing.

As for school, I was in the regular English classes during high school, because my high school didn't have advanced classes. Same thing with college. Not a lot of English courses for me to take that helped with my writing in any way. So going to school didn't help me at all with writing.

My English teachers in high school, however, were the happiest teachers in the world because I could read at the grade level.

WTF, Shrike?! WTF? XD *hugs you because I have no idea what else to make of your post*

Post Office Buddy

Years
...I can't tell if you guys are rubbing off on me, I've always been this way, or if I just really need to get to bed. Maybe all three...
I think it's all three, but no worries!!!! WE LOVE INSANE PEOPLE!!!! ESPECIALLY THOSE WITH LOTS AND LOTS OF ARMS!!!!! IT HELPS THE CRUSADE AGAINST TEH N00BS SO MUCH EASIER :) Those flamethrower-wielding Sentrets, on the other hand...

Hmm, I also tried to bump up the rating too. It's just barely too low for a five star now. I blame the government.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
I...I don't know what to make of it either. I've been sort of obsessing over Nerf guns lately out of a sort of pseudo-jealousy for all these preadolescents with power tools modding them and all when I never had any as a kid. I then saw your post about the orgy and your mock challenge and...and...

Oh god, what I have done?! I SHALL NEVER BE MYSELF AGAIN!

Post Office Buddy

Years
Oh god, what I have done?! I SHALL NEVER BE MYSELF AGAIN!
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! We need more insanity! I can't imagine what would happen if we let the remaining smashed bits of our sanity fuse back together and dominate us again!!!! Well, I doubt I'll ever be sane, but we need as much insanity as we can get to keep the rest of the thread from locking Astinus everyone up!

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
*Does a Phoenix Wright point as well!*

I SHALL DO THAT THING!

Wait, what the heck, I'll just claim txt's free pass. If he got it. But I'm 12 and thus I get kicked out. Darns.

D:

Don't worry Shrike, I've lost MY sanity too. Pish.

In the middle. I didn't think it was really badly flawed, but I didn't think I was great either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back