• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What about fangames annoys you most? [Aspiring developers look here!]

What is the worst thing(s) about Pokemon fangames?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xdanx

But you can call me Dan :)
Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2012
Problem with fakemons is that they're fake. Most people prefer real pokemon. Specially because some times fakemons are even worst than the original ones (which now is pretty hard considering how ugly 5th gen is). Not everyone loves something new made by (basically) a nobody just because it's new or original.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
[SIZE="a"]I hope I only have to say this once, but you shouldn't criticise people for Fakemon, the Pokémon company could potentially sue anyone for copyright infringement for using the Pokémon name anyway, so if you make Fakemon that are original then they you have less chance of being sued for stealing sprites and Pokémon names.

Also don't diss the 5th gen Pokémon, they're pretty good in my opinion. I'm sure many other people like them too. Have you ever tried to think of you own Pokémon? Don't criticise others for their work if you've never tried it yourself. It's pretty hard, I know because I've tried it.[/SIZE]

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
my problem with fakemon is they're usually not up to the same quality as the official pokemon. it always makes it jarring seeing a badly drawn fakemon next to a official one.

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2012
No original content is my biggest and followed by poorly planned games and spam in the topic Im reading about.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
If you're going to do fakemon, you should be consistent. Good designs, new cries, full movesets, well composed sprites. Otherwise they look tacky.

Besides, my mentality is that we have enough to choose from at 649 species, and about 1,000 forms. I don't see any need for fakemon in my own project. I feel that the originality should be put into other things such as gameplay, graphics and storyline.

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2021
On a slightly different note, I just had a quick question about mapping. I know that consistency in tiles is important, which is pretty much the case in my outdoor tiles. However, I really can't find enough newer gen tiles for indoor maps, so I've had to use gen 3 tiles in some places to make up for them. Basically, is it a bad idea to use newer gen outdoor and old gen indoor tiles? and is it ok if i use newer gen tiles in some indoor maps, and older gen tiles in others?

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
On a slightly different note, I just had a quick question about mapping. I know that consistency in tiles is important, which is pretty much the case in my outdoor tiles. However, I really can't find enough newer gen tiles for indoor maps, so I've had to use gen 3 tiles in some places to make up for them. Basically, is it a bad idea to use newer gen outdoor and old gen indoor tiles? and is it ok if i use newer gen tiles in some indoor maps, and older gen tiles in others?

posting a screenshot would be the best way to judge.

tootlerocks

Epic Trainer
Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2012
What I kinda find annoying is the fact that so many fangames are based off the GBA series (i.e. R/S/E/FR/LG). You rarely, if at all, see many games based off the DS versions. And also they try to imitate the tiny screen size of the GBA or even worse *shudder* the GBC. I can understand being realistic and all, and that's fine if that's what you're aiming to do. But I can't help but think that if it's a game for PC, shouldn't we be taking advantage of more of the available screen?
Don't hate me, I'm just saying.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
What I kinda find annoying is the fact that so many fangames are based off the GBA series (i.e. R/S/E/FR/LG). You rarely, if at all, see many games based off the DS versions. And also they try to imitate the tiny screen size of the GBA or even worse *shudder* the GBC. I can understand being realistic and all, and that's fine if that's what you're aiming to do. But I can't help but think that if it's a game for PC, shouldn't we be taking advantage of more of the available screen?
Don't hate me, I'm just saying.

Making a DS-like game will have to require 3D modelling. Seriously, if you're not sure whether that is necessary, look at Skyarrow Bridge. Besides, it's kind of hard to innovate what's already placed in stone. While it would be amazing, it's sort of unrealistic- some people still use 640x480.

Years
It is hard making up new monsters, but it isn't that hard. I think some Fakemon tend to go with quantity rather than quality.

What bothers me the most about some games is that they never finish or update you as the user with progress. I imagine that the developers didn't realize how much work it would take and they give up. :(

Years
I have chosen the following four points:

Slow or too few updates:
This can be annoying, especially at the start of the game when they have only completed up to the first gym or so and you cannot go any further into the game and have to wait a good few months before continuing. And generally by that time you can lose interest in the game which can result in the next point.

They never get finished:
This can be extremely disappointing for some people. For me a good example is Pokémon Ash Grey. It may be being worked on but as far as I know it has been stopped. I was very much looking forward to playing the full game but doesn't seem like it will happen unfortunately.

Misspellings in games:
This is one of the most frustrating things that happen. If it is something small such as a space wasn't added between two words that is understandable, everyone makes mistakes. But when people just write in fully lower case and do not use punctuation at all (that may be an over exaggeration) to me it shows laziness and no dedication towards the work they have done.

Fake Pokémon:
I only like 'Fakémon' for legendary Pokémon as long as they have a good story towards them. Or for Starters (sometimes). But when you enter the first route and there are at least 4 different Pokémon that pop up that are all Fakémon it can annoy me. Which is why I dislike playing games that have a lot of Fakémon in them.

It can be very disappointing when there is a game that has a lot of potential with an amazing story line and mapping and graphics etc. but is ruined by one of the points I previously mentioned.

nuzamaki90

Knight of The Volt
Years
I really dislike it when fangames that have a ton of potential, look fantastic, play fantastic, and look like they will be a hit, are canceled.

It's like, what was the point of using all that time spent making the game look and play good, but cancel it before even a beta release?

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
I really dislike it when fangames that have a ton of potential, look fantastic, play fantastic, and look like they will be a hit, are canceled.

It's like, what was the point of using all that time spent making the game look and play good, but cancel it before even a beta release?

I feel you, but real life should always come first, and people are just often too busy, or their teams falls apart for some reason, and to say the least, the developer's talented team was probably one of the reasons the game looked so nice in the first place.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2013
I personally don't enjoy when a developer breaks the fourth wall of the game and ruins the image of a different world. I like playing Pokemon games because they're different, and when someone references that it's a hack, or you battle the developer, it generally ruins it for me.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
The development communities generally appreciate (and some give several prizes) big projects that have too many things customized and too many things to do, specially the visual part that have a instant effect on attracting people. These projects generally took ages and need a big team to do, and when some members give up for some reason (even stupid ones) the team fall apart. These people prefer to focus their time more disseminating their games than making it. In this forum we can see some project that have more than a thousand of replies and no even a demo.

I prefer the development methodology of making the game and latter add features and custom things on it, so if you give up you have an average game rather than a demo full of custom things.

TheMrQuit

Egg: It's going to hatch soon!
Years
A fangame should not be a real pokemon game

Pokemon is a really hard game to make. One thing that annoys me and is not on the list is the fact that eveyone wants to make a long pokemon game. I'd like to see some shorter but better ones. Mispellings, bugs, crashes and other annoying things are common in longer games because they need a lot of time and a big team. Why not making a shorter game? that's only a suggestion of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back