• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Glitch Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
I have both red and blue versions, and I've tried the Mew Glitch, the MISSINGNO. glitch, and went to Glitch City. There's a funky glitch you can do that goes with Glitch city though:

1. Execute the Glitch City Glitch. That is to say you go into the Safari Zone, go back, when the man says "Do you want to leave the Safari Zone early?" Say no, then save, reset.
2. Walk around as normal, using up your 500 steps. BUT, on the 499th step, jump off of a ledge so that when "Ding-Dong! Your Safari game is over!" pops up, you will be in the air.
3. After you complete the dialog, you will find that you can walk over everything.

Some things you should know...
A. You need one Pokemon, and that Pokemon has to be poisoned. If the Pokemon doesn't have a lot of HP, have a lot of Potions on standby. That way, when you're in the Safari Zone entrance after performing the glitch, your Pokemon can faint, resulting in you being able to walk thru walls almost everywhere.
B. Don't go inside of a building. This will cause the glitch to end, and you will cease to be able to walk through normally impassable objects. Reseting the game will also cause the glitch to end.

I know that wasn't the best tutorial... I hope that helps... (you can use this glitch in Red and Blue. I don't know if you can use this glitch in Yellow yet. I'll have to check.)

P.S. I got this glitch off of Youtube, I think.

Years
It won't let me post links yet, but the article on the Old Man Glitch at Bulbapedia pretty much explains it all. Also, apparently the 2 causes of the Old Man Glitch were fixed in Yellow, but the "mew glitch" can still be done to obtain various glitched pokemon and encounter glitch trainers as well including Professor Oak.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
Years
I think I saw that. He did something to do with the doors, right? Gonna go watch it again.
Yep, ok, that's what I was thinking of. If this was in the English versions I'd be known better, it's pretty interesting.

Last edited:

mew_nani

Years
I haven't tried the Mew Glitch, but I have caught Mew with the Ditto Glitch, an extention of thed Mew Glitch. If memory serves me right you can do it like this:

1. Find a trainer you haven't battled yet that will walk to you.
2. Go up until you are 1 step beyond the point where he/she sees you. Basically that translates to stand at the point where, if you are at the corner of the route left of Fushia City (I forgot the route number...) you have to be at the point where if you go one step down, the trainer will be directly below you at the bottom of the screen. At this point, you might want to save if you are not good at the following step:
3. Go down one step. At the same time press the START button. That way you will be standing in front of the trainer you are using with the menu up. Go to the pokemon screen and use your Flying and or Digging Pokemon (if you're in a dungeon, like Mt. Moon.) and fly\dig away. (an Escape Rope works fine in dungeons too.) If you did it right an exclamation point will pop up before you fly away.
4. find a trainer you can battle. Make sure said trainer has to walk to you, or the game will freeze. At this point the menu won't pop up if you press START. Battle this trainer.
5. Find a wild ditto. Make sure the ditto uses Transform on the Pokemon who's Special Stat you are using as the modifier, then run. (if you want Mew, have a Pokemon with a Special Stat of 21.)
6. Walk back to the trainer you flew away from at step 1. Make sure you don't run into any wild Pokemon. When you get there, the menu will pop up suddenly. Exit the menu, and a wild battle will start. If you used a Special Stat of 21, Mew will appear.

That was a sucky tutorial... look on Youtube for more details... -.-

PatJamma

From the ashes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 8, 2022
you all are boring! posting almost the same glitch over and over I'ma post something new!
In Crystal version (yes Crystal not r/b/g/y or even g/s) after my battery in my gba died during a trade (sometime at one of the important parts) I walked outside the pokemon center and walked in the grass and found some form of MissingNo. This MissingNo. was poisoned (or was it paralyzed?), had the cry of Espeon (Or maybe it was in part of it's name, I don't remember it was 7 or more years ago) , and when I did selected anything it said "waiting for your friend" message as if it was a link battle. It was later solved by trading pokemon. Weirdest glitch ever.

mew_nani

Years
Sorry... I (And possibly everyone else) was positing some of them for those that didn't know how to do them...
Neat glitch, though! What did it look like?

PatJamma

From the ashes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 8, 2022
hmm if memory serves me right it was a black and white box with a bunch of jumbled text (no building pieces like most MissingNo. if I remember correctly) making up its body and had a huge health bar, long jumbled name, and I believe it was level 100 (or even higher) even though I was north of Cherrygrove City

mew_nani

Years
Hmm.... Big white/black box... jumbled text... Level 100, poisoned... huge health bar... do you remember what the name was? Most glitch Pokemon in Crystal, Gold, or Silver versions have question marks in the name (Five question marks, mostly, like ?????.) with the exception of Egg, which is... well... an egg. (Before I should continue... there are five known glitch Pokemon in G/S/C, four of which are placeholders, and one used for Eggs. The placeholders are known as ?????.)
If it has that name, did you look in the menu during or before you battled it?
????? borrows other graphical tiles form the game to make up it's battle sprite, so it will change from a garbled up building to a garbled up version of the item menu if you look at it during the battle. (I'm not sure if that works if you look at the items menu just before the battle...)
If it doesn't have ????? in the name... I have no idea what the heck it might be. You might have stumbled across something totally new here!

PatJamma

From the ashes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 8, 2022
I guess I found something "new" because it's name was not ????? it's name was a jumbled mess of text and I looked at every glitch pokemon on bulbapedia and none of them looked exactly like the one I found

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
Years
I guess I found something "new" because it's name was not ????? it's name was a jumbled mess of text and I looked at every glitch pokemon on bulbapedia and none of them looked exactly like the one I found

At this stage, I think finding any new glitch Pokemon is next to impossible, unless something messes up the memory completely. And there aren't any set sprites for Gen 2 glitch Pokemon, they use the last tileset loaded into memory. The ones on Bulbapedia aren't the only sprites they can have.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I have a small question. I'm trying to get a Pokemon's special stat to 194 to encounter .4 again but I can't. My Mew's special is 192 but every time it levels up it goes to 195. How do I get it to 194 instead of 195?

Years
There's items that when you use them on a pokemon, it causes a stat to go up, such as HP UP (hp), PROTEIN (attack), CALCIUM (defense), etc. I forgot which item raises special.

Last edited:

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
In the 1st gen? Leveling up usually raises the stat by 2-3, but it keeps going up by three when it levels up. How do I make it raise by only 2?

Years
The 2 glitches I'm most interested about are the laser-vision and forced shiny ditto glitches.

I heard that if you pick the water pokemon in gen II (I forget how to spell the name of it), there's a small chance that its leer will glitch up and act as a 1hKO attack instead of lowing the opponent's defense.

Also, I heard there's a way to force a ditto you encounter to be shiny. The only catch is that (from what I heard) you have to first catch a shiny gyaridos (sp?) and somehow use that to catch the shiny ditto in gen I.

As you can see, I forgot most of the details about both these glitches.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
Years
The second one is real. It's on Bulbapedia, but I'm curious as to how it works. I don't see how it could possibly, unless Dittos in Gen 1 permanently copy IVs.

The first one sounds fake. If it was real, it wouldn't be specific to Totodile at least.

Years
Well, from what I read, it has to do with the starter pokemon. I don't remember if the other 2 starters learn leer or not.

I don't see how it couldn't be specific to totodile anyways, the coding of these earlier games have acted in stranger ways.

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
Yeah, unfortunately they fixed that with later Japanese games and basically all the Generation I games released outside Japan...
Jakeyboy's Comment: I think I saw that. He did something to do with the doors, right? Gonna go watch it again.
Yep, ok, that's what I was thinking of. If this was in the English versions I'd be known better, it's pretty interesting.

It was called the Where is it Door in Japan, I think. It allowed you to teleport to any place in the game. You had to do something, fight a Ratatata, run, and walk around, and you teleport to a place in the game. I don't really remember.

Years
Yeah, you basically just teleport to this one place, then to another, then to the Elite 4 and just walk past the Champion into the Hall of Fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back