• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Guide to Replacing Pokemon Sprites (FR/LG/R/S)

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
Years
When I test out my sprite, the screen went black. =[ Because I inserted the sprite, then it said it's too big. So then I get free space, and put it in. Then I test it out and its black. =[ It's a gym leader sprite. I went on A-Trainer and it looks fine, but it won't work. Any help?

drew6464

Spriter and composer
Years
  • US
  • Seen Jan 8, 2023
I'm pretty sure this is for Pokemon only. By the way, trainer sprites are more than 64x64.

Also, I'm having a problem too. When I save it on and write it on and do everything it says in the guide, then press "Next" and "Previous", the original sprite is still there... I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2010
Hi~

Just wanted to know what version of Irfan View you had, because the Image>Pallete has another menu drop down thing, so its like

Image> Pallete> Edit Pallete
Export Pallete
Import Pallete
And the only active button is the last one, but not the first two...

So yeah just want to know what version of Irfan View you had making this.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
Years
Thanks for this tut.
I have no problem with indexing, you explained everything perfectly and it works, but after I import it and write it to ROM succesfully two files are created where ROM is: .pal and .spr files. Now without these files the game won't work. So what am I suposed to do with them. Should I turn them into some kind of pach and if I should,... how?

Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2013
i did everything but it still said image not indexed and when i indexed and test it the screen restart HEEEEEEELLLLLPPPPP MEEEEEE!!! PLZ

Giratar

Oops.
Years
Okay, I'm using the BETA1 version of unLZ.GBA, and I did everything that you said in the tutorial. But the things in my unLZ.GBA look different, such as the offsets for the palette and picture when I try to write into the ROM have a 00 in front, and I have 4 checkmark-able options instead of 3(but I only selected the ones in the tutorial).

When I wrote the sprite in, it didn't do anything except change the picture's palette! It ended up looking like this:

problem.bmp

And this is what I wanted to put in:
kitteleh2.png

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
thankyou so much!, i couldnt get my head round how to index sprites until now!
EDIT: every time i index the sprite Unlz says its not, and it always ends up with 17 colours even when i do it right...
EDIT: i also tried with a sprite with 8 colours and it still said its not indexed. Any specific name i have to save it under. I think its the step on paint where im mucking up, because i dont see how C/ping the original sprite onto the messed up one indexes it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2018
I have followed every step mentioned but unLZ still gives me the "Error: Image not Indexed" message. Using Paint and Irfanview as well. Can someone help me out? Tried the steps in another tutorial as well but still unsuccessful. I really do not know what went wrong since i followed the tutorial step by step. Sigh...

EDIT:

SOLUTION: Make sure you are not using Paint for Windows 7. For some reason, it just refuses to open the indexed pic as an indexed pic (and I think it changes it back to being un-indexed). Use Paint which came with Windows XP. One (noteworthy) thing though, I can't seem to save it under a different name but it's no problem actually. Not too sure about the one for Vista. Hope this helps as it worked for me. :P

Last edited:

Beebeeson

A wild Beebeeson appeared!
Years
this was the first time ever i have tried to change sprites in a rom and i followed your tutorial to the letter, everything seems to be working, except i too get the scrambled sprites when i open the rom with unLZ. i tested the rom after adding the first sprite and it popped up and looked fine when prof oak asks you to choose a pokemon. does this mean the scrambling in unLZ doesn't actually affect the rom?

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2013
I've got Windows 7 paint, so I'm also getting the indexing issue. But I've found a way around it.

Index your image as you would usually, switching the colours around so that you get the right transparent colour. Load in paint. You don't need to swap the colours around like you usually would, just save under a different file name and open this in Photoshop/Irfanview. Now index the image again, swapping the colours back around so that the transparent colour is the right one. What you should get is everything looking the way you want, and all transparent :)

So no need for older paint programmes! :D

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2016
I have attempted to follow your tutorial but it doesn't seem to work for me.

When I attempt to insert the image into the rom I keep getting an index error. I have tried everything you said to do multiple times with no success.

Is there another way besides using infarveiw or CS photoshop to index sprites?

tpmrpg

Beginning Hacker, Gamer
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2013
I have attempted to follow your tutorial but it doesn't seem to work for me.

When I attempt to insert the image into the rom I keep getting an index error. I have tried everything you said to do multiple times with no success.

Is there another way besides using infarveiw or CS photoshop to index sprites?
There is one.... The G.I.M.P :) it's free and just liek photoshop.

Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2011
Image colors inversed?

For some reason after following this very helpful tutorial. When I get looking at my finished pokemon in the game its colors are inversed, help please? As in the flame of my Rapidash is it's body color & vis-versa.

Back