• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

*A Freshly Scented Garden* Grass-type Club

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Spoiler:

It is strange the Mystery Dungeon don't let you choose your character outright. The Personality Test may well give you a Pokémon you don't want to be.

Bulbasaur is also a great pick. :)

If you could give one Grass-type Pokémon a boost to make it more usable or better, which would you pick and what boosts and/or moves would you give it?

Rain T.

"You clods!"
Years
Has anyone else heard? The clubs are being closed down. I've had a great time being a member of this wonderful garden, and I will cherish the Pokemon that have been distributed to me (even if they disappear with the club). And now, please excuse me while I go cry.

As for the topic, I kinda feel like Leafeon is...not as great as it could be. I'd boost all it's stats a bit, to make it better.

Years
Has anyone else heard? The clubs are being closed down. I've had a great time being a member of this wonderful garden, and I will cherish the Pokemon that have been distributed to me (even if they disappear with the club). And now, please excuse me while I go cry.

As for the topic, I kinda feel like Leafeon is...not as great as it could be. I'd boost all it's stats a bit, to make it better.

Dude, need not fear as thee clubs will be living on here in Pokemon General. The changes will at least maybe help us get more activity now and that'll be a good thing!

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

As far as I understand it clubs are 'as you were' but are now in a different section (Pokemon General) where they can be accessed by more people. :)

Leafeon is one of the Eeveelutions which could do with a boost. A slight boost on all his stats makes sense.

My pick is Cacturne. It has a cool design and good attacking stats but it's defense and terrible speed leave a lot to be desired. It gets Sucker Punch and Spikes but that's about it.

To make it better I would up its speed to a usable level and up its attack stats to make it somewhat of a Glass Cannon. I would also give it the move Earthquake.

There are numerous Grass Types that evolve by use of elemental stone. They include Gloom, Weepinbell, Roselia and Exeggcute.

Do you think evolving by Stone being one of the main forms of evolutions for Grass Types is a good thing?

Best answer wins a Pokémon with stone for the scenario campaign.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sun

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
[/spoiler]

As far as I understand it clubs are 'as you were' but are now in a different section (Pokemon General) where they can be accessed by more people. :)

Leafeon is one of the Eeveelutions which could do with a boost. A slight boost on all his stats makes sense.

My pick is Cacturne. It has a cool design and good attacking stats but it's defense and terrible speed leave a lot to be desired. It gets Sucker Punch and Spikes but that's about it.

To make it better I would up its speed to a usable level and up its attack stats to make it somewhat of a Glass Cannon. I would also give it the move Earthquake.

There are numerous Grass Types that evolve by use of elemental stone. They include Gloom, Weepinbell, Roselia and Exeggcute.

Do you think evolving by Stone being one of the main forms of evolutions for Grass Types is a good thing?

So far, Grass-Pokemon that evolve with the help of Evolutionary Stones are great, as in no harm in stat wise, which is unlike Murkrow's case -- whose Speed gets a decrease upon evolving into a Honchkrow. In a sense, Evolutionary Stones for the Grasses are indeed useful. :)

One of the very few cons (that I can think of) is the limitations on level up moves -- most Pokemon that evolve with the help of Stones are no longer allowed to gain level up moves like their pre-evolutions forms and even if they are allowed to, the level up moves are rather limited.

Personally I prefer level up evolution (with or without the additional requirements). :)

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I agree with a lot you have said here, the Grass Types that evolve by Stone are:

Leaf Stone - Gloom to Vileplume, Weepinbell to Victreebell, Exeggcute to Exeggutor, Nuzleaf to Shiftry, Pansage to Simisage

Sun Stone - Gloom to Bellossom, Cottonee to Petilil, Sunkern to Sunflora, Petilil to Lilligant

Shiny Stone - Roselia to Roserade

Water Stone - Lombre to Ludicolo

Looking at the above list the stone used to evolve the most Grass Types is unsurprisingly the Leaf Stone with Five with the Sun Stone very closely behind with four. The Weed Pokemon Gloom evolves using both Stones making it one of few Pokemon to have multiple evolutions depending on Stone used.

It is also notable that the version Counterparts of the various games (Gloom-Weepinbell, Lombre-Nuzleaf and Petilil-Cottonee) all evolve by Stone with it even being the case that the Hoenn Counterparts evolve using contrasting Stones. (Water and Leaf)

As you stated evolutions by Stones is very useful for Grass Types as they become more powerful Pokemon. The reduced number of moves they gain may be to prevent the player getting an early game breaker.

In the Kanto Games you can buy as many Leaf Stones as you like in Celadon City as well as in Gen 6. If say Vileplume was able to learn moves at the same levels as Oddish and Gloom it could give players an early boost. Of course the player could leave the Pokémon as an Oddish until they learn their final move but that would have the trade off of having them in the weaker form for longer.

In some cases the moves Pokemon learn on evolution are completely different to their pre-evolution. An example of this is the Lilligant line which only learns the various dance moves in it's Final Form. This gives the player opportunity to decide how to raise their Grass Pokémon. :)

Whilst levelling up is a logical and straightforward way for a Pokémon to evolve, evolving by Stone gives the player opportunity to evolve their Pokemon as soon as they have the stone or as late as they wish. :)

Rain T.

"You clods!"
Years
[/spoiler]

Haha, I really misunderstood the situation. Whoops.

Evolving by Stones can sometimes make it a little tricky to evolve certain Pokemon, but if you have the right Stone it's much easier than leveling up. You don't have to work to raise it to a higher level, or you can do so without needing to worry about hitting the 'B' button to cancel evolution, or finding an Everstone, every time the Pokemon levels up. And with the introduction of the Super Secret Training in X/Y, and it carried over to OR/AS of course (I think), getting Stones has become so much easier. There's no limited amount, no getting to a certain area, or spending large sums of money at a store that doesn't even sell all the Stones. Just beat whichever Super Secret Training regimen has whatever Stone you're looking for, get a good score, and you'll get the Stone as a prize.
In other words, yep. I think it's overall a good thing.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

The results are in and the winners are...Sun and Rain T

You both win a Gloom for the scenario campaign. Do you want to evolve it into Bellossom or Vileplume?

There are numerous Grass/Poison types in the Pokemon series and indeed the first ever Grass Starter was a Grass/Poison type.

What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of Grass Types having a secondary Poison typing?

Rain T.

"You clods!"
Years

You both win a Gloom for the scenario campaign. Do you want to evolve it into Bellossom or Vileplume?

There are numerous Grass/Poison types in the Pokemon series and indeed the first ever Grass Starter was a Grass/Poison type.

What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of Grass Types having a secondary Poison typing?
Ooh, a Vileplume sounds nice. What do I have to do to get a Leaf Stone?

Anyway, this topic...hmmm. Well for one, Grass/Poison types don't take double damage from Poison (unlike pure Grass) and immune to being Poisoned themselves. They can also make use of the move Toxic, which has a perfect accuracy when used by a Poison type, to wreak some status havoc on opponents, or couple that with Venoshock for some major Poison type damage. Combine that with Leech Seed (a move that many Grass types can learn) and you can both steal HP from an opponent, chip away at it, and deal out huge doses of damage. Grass/Poison Pokemon are really great for those who enjoy using strategies with status conditions, and some, like Venusaur, are bulky and can take damage pretty well.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

A Vileplume has been placed onto your Scenario Campaign team. :)

I agree with what you have put regarding Grass/Poison types. Immunity to being poisoned is very welcome and Venoshock can be a very powerful move if it is used right. Indeed in the Unova Games the Poison Gym Leader Roxie says that the move 'almost packs too much of a punch'.

To add on being part Poison type gives them STAB moves to combat Fairy Types but having lost the weakness to Poison they gain a weakness to Psychic moves.

Years
As Rain said above, Grass/Poison makes good use of status moves such as the deadly Leech Seed + Toxic combination to whittle the opponent's health down, and having access to Venoshock makes a great way to compliment Toxic, and getting STAB only adds to the power. We also tend to have a lot of Grass/Poison Pokemon that are bulky, such as the aforementioned Venusaur and also Amoonguss.

Oh, and a reminder that Grass-type (along with Flying-type) voting is in the FPT this week so get voting now!

Last edited:

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Spoiler:

Do not forget to vote for your favorite Grass-type Pokemon! (Click here to enter the voting thread)

Don't forget the monthly PGen CoTM votes as well. (Click here to enter the voting thread)

TGIF! Have a nice and fun weekend, everyone! Oh and a belated Happy Thanksgiving to our American friends!

tumblr_n7c5tfLuft1soxa4vo1_500_zps81e912b2.gif

Last edited:

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Vileplume has been added to your team. :)

Earlier this week I went Dexnav Chaining for a Shiny Petilil, after a Chain of 140 I gave up and took a break.

Then later on I went back to the same spot to look for a Petilil with Egg Move Healing Wish and two encounters in found a Shiny Petilil

Spr_6x_548_s.png

I have since evolved her into Lilligant, maxed her Affection and won the Beauty Master Rank Contest with her. In the Contest Lisia's Altaria and Wallace's Milotic were both participating making the win even more special.

I now have a Shiny form of my favourite Grass-type. :)

If you could use any Grass Type in a Hoenn Contest or Contest Spectacular which would you use and what moves would you give them?

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
[/spoiler]

Vileplume has been added to your team. :)

Earlier this week I went Dexnav Chaining for a Shiny Petilil, after a Chain of 140 I gave up and took a break.

Then later on I went back to the same spot to look for a Petilil with Egg Move Healing Wish and two encounters in found a Shiny Petilil

Spr_6x_548_s.png

I have since evolved her into Lilligant, maxed her Affection and won the Beauty Master Rank Contest with her. In the Contest Lisia's Altaria and Wallace's Milotic were both participating making the win even more special.

I now have a Shiny form of my favourite Grass-type. :)

If you could use any Grass Type in a Hoenn Contest or Contest Spectacular which would you use and what moves would you give them?
The Treecko line would be great!

It learns Quick Attack and Faint Attack, which works as a semi-combo. Sunny Day and Solar Beam were legit combos back in the Gen III Contests. Oh, and of course he should be participating the Coolness category! (: *puts Black Glasses on Treecko*

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
I'd use a Roserade in the Beauty contest, and outfit it with Energy Ball and Dazzling Gleam, alternating them for big points, then have a big finish with Petal Dance.

Roserade is indeed an excellent choice for the Beauty Contest. Dazzling Gleam is a great move to open with and Petal Dance always gives a high number of hearts.

The Treecko line would be great!

It learns Quick Attack and Faint Attack, which works as a semi-combo. Sunny Day and Solar Beam were legit combos back in the Gen III Contests. Oh, and of course he should be participating the Coolness category! (: *puts Black Glasses on Treecko*

I think Sunny Day and Solar Beam are also combos in the Gen 6 games. Treecko is very cute but his final evolved form Sceptile gets a Mega Evolution which gives a bonus boost if you manage to trigger a spectacular moment. :)

My pick would be Lilligant. The Flowering Pokemon learns both Petal Dance and Leaf Storm (Through her pre-evolution Petilil) which give a high numbers of hearts regardless of Contest category.

She also learns Magical Leaf through Move Reminder which is an excellent opening Contest move. The move 'After You' enables you to go later on making the increased startleability of Petal Dance and Leaf Storm less of an issue.

Indeed my Shiny Lilligant Jessica won all the Contests including winning the Beauty Contest with both Lisia's Ali and Wallace's Milotic in the same Contest.

The winner of the recent PokéCommunity Favourite Grass Pokémon poll was the Sceptile line:

What are your thoughts on the line?

What do you think of their design and Moveset?

What were your initial thoughts on seeing Sceptile's Mega?

Rain T.

"You clods!"
Years
She also learns Magical Leaf through Move Reminder which is an excellent opening Contest move. The move 'After You' enables you to go later on making the increased startleability of Petal Dance and Leaf Storm less of an issue.

Indeed my Shiny Lilligant Jessica won all the Contests including winning the Beauty Contest with both Lisia's Ali and Wallace's Milotic in the same Contest.

The winner of the recent PokéCommunity Favourite Grass Pokémon poll was the Sceptile line:

Ooh, I'm going to remember that and try it out. :)

My thoughts on the line...well, I've never really used the Treecko line actually. My favorite starter to use from Hoenn is Torchic and it's evolutionary family. There have been occasions where I've used Sceptile at the Battle Maison on X/Y though and I was actually a little disappointed... I feel that there are better Grass types to use. Like Gogoat, to name one.

The design, on the other hand, I absolutely love! I'm a huge fan of reptiles, so to see this evolutionary line (an adorable little gecko growing into this badass-looking, tree-jumping lizard thing) put a big grin on my face. As for moveset, I never really looked at what it could learn, even when choosing moves for my Battle Maison Sceptile... It seems to be at least decent enough, though.

The very first thing I thought when I looked at Mega Sceptile was 'Holy crap, it's got a Christmas tree growing out of its butt!' ... ... ... Yeeeaaah. I prefer Sceptile's normal design.

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Roserade is indeed an excellent choice for the Beauty Contest. Dazzling Gleam is a great move to open with and Petal Dance always gives a high number of hearts.

I think Sunny Day and Solar Beam are also combos in the Gen 6 games. Treecko is very cute but his final evolved form Sceptile gets a Mega Evolution which gives a bonus boost if you manage to trigger a spectacular moment. :)

My pick would be Lilligant. The Flowering Pokemon learns both Petal Dance and Leaf Storm (Through her pre-evolution Petilil) which give a high numbers of hearts regardless of Contest category.

I can verify they aren't combination moves in Contest Spectacular.

The thoughts: The Treecko line;s Gothet's favorite starter family from the Hoenn region! XD

The designs are actually good, though a bit mismatched on the learnable movesets, in terms of botth competitve and slightly on the in-game side.

I actually love it and better it is looking than M-Swampert! In terms of usability, they aren't that good. :/ They could have given M-Sceptile Adaptability or something useful than Lightning Rod. Lightning Rod isn't that useless, but it is for a Pokemon with the Grass/Dragon typing.

Rain T.

"You clods!"
Years
They could have given M-Sceptile Adaptability or something useful than Lightning Rod. Lightning Rod isn't that useless, but it is for a Pokemon with the Grass/Dragon typing.
I think the reasoning behind that was that, as a Grass/Dragon type, Mega Sceptile only takes 1/4 normal damage from Electric attacks, and gains a small boost in return.

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I think the reasoning behind that was that, as a Grass/Dragon type, Mega Sceptile only takes 1/4 normal damage from Electric attacks, and gains a small boost in return.

Loool which is useless. Lightning Rod immunizes the users from getting hit by Electric moves, and no it doesn't act as the Justified Ability. XD

Back