• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poke Island (SE)

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
157? If I recall, Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow only had 151 Pokemon altogether... are there extras?

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Uhh... I am nowhere near a master at this, but I have a midi maker and I can actually make songs. If you'd like me to try, I'm willing to give it a shot, and then run the partially/fully completed songs by you for quality checking and feedback. That is, if there's a break in the coding or if you're not ready to start yet.

Kine

Whatev
Years
... The heck? Why did Pokecommunity truncate the last couple of posts?

Yeah, well I'm gonna reiterate what I said before, because it's necessary.

This game may take up to three years to complete, mainly determined by the amount of help I get on this. Sure, it's voluntary and people have other things that they want to, or have to, do, as do I. Buuuutttt, if I'm the only one doing anything, then no one can complain about the amount of time it takes to complete it.

Granted, I have some people helping here and there and I must say I'm grateful for it, because that really reduces the workload no matter how small. So it's not like I'm taking 100% credit for the effort.

I mentioned something about attacks. I'm going to use the EB PK Attack editor to make all the necessary RBY Pokemon attacks. At least that's my suggestion, so that they still look MOTHER 3-ish at best. Only other thing would be to just do it using Paint/something and drawing out the effects... unless the editor works by import anyway and it doesn't have an artistic program built in.

Either way, expect the attacks to be sort of abstract in the same way that EB/M3's PK attacks are.

And that's about it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Wow, three years? Just how big is this game, or is it that you don't think you'll have the time to work on it?

Hmm... looking at all my posts, it seems I post too much. Mind you, maybe it's just because everyone else posts too little :P

Kine

Whatev
Years
It's not big a big game, the team's too small. That's why it'll take so long. If I had the 40-50 people Itoi had, well... we'd probably be done within a year and a half tops, and that's allowing room for people to take vacations/breaks/etc.

Of course, I don't know ANY fan game that's ever been the size of a full production team. So 40-50 is extremely unrealistic, but perhaps I can't even grasp how fast things'll go with a number that high. I honestly really can't.

About speaking too much, considering the simplicity involved in making a trainer type clone fan game (edit a few sprites, and that's kind of it beyond writing a story), more people get on board with that because... I dunno, familiarity. With this being more Mother and less Pokemon construction wise, I can't say too many people would quite understand what I'm doing in the first place.

Then again, Mother's no different than Dragon Quest, or so I know, but I've never played DQ.

Kine

Whatev
Years
Double Posting is bad, but the point is that once again I've updated with kind of new information. I don't think it says anything I didn't say here, though, I forget. Regardless...

This is why graphics takes so long.

And that's not even all of the variations of those two, either.

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Heh, now I'm posting too little! Uh anyway, I'm still here, just waiting for the go-ahead on whatever form of engine you want to use so I can start work. Until then, I'll keep working on my game, which is making good progress!

Kine

Whatev
Years
I've been working on a few BYOND tutorials, but I dunno, I have two questions that'll pretty much be the determining factor.

1) Is there any way to get rid of that chat window, or rather, just make a window for the game only? This should be presented like an SNES game, not an online game.

2) Maybe the tutorials just seem more code oriented, but is that all BYOND is? I mean, Game Maker and RMXP have both design and coding aspects, and what I can't really do in coding I could at least do more easily in design. Maybe the tuts I looked at didn't cover that... but if there's little to do in design time, I can't see how it'll be very helpful to me. It'll be just like my coding classes I couldn't pass all over again... too much abstract computations, not enough visualization*.

* As I recall, Visual Basic was at least sorta easy BECAUSE you could build in design time, but that's aside the point.

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Ok, I can answer those.
1 - In the new BYOND, 4.0 there MAY be a way. I'd need to check, because I know you can't do it in 3.5, but 4.0 lets you mess with all the windows so possibly.

2 - Yes. You need to make a map file, which allows you to place things on it RPG-maker style almost. Thus, the map is the actual design/visual part, and the coding is what makes everything work. Kinda imagine RPG maker XP with the only trigger functions being made in Ruby. That's more or less how BYOND works.

Sorry for the short post, but I gotta go. I hope that explains it enough!

Last edited:

StrawyBlood

*Learning english*
Years
That game looks so cool! if there is a demo or something like that cause i want to play it ^^
the rattata with the pikachu hat looks cute! :3
Did you made the game with XP? cause... wow i'll never could do something like that X3

Kine

Whatev
Years
Whoops! Didn't know there was a post above this.

I don't think there'll ever be a demo, although I will allow several people to do error testing and such, and just general feedback on the environments. The idea is that want the game to just be 100% done before it's ever released publically, like any actual game. Now, I may make more videos, but nothing has really happened since the last video as I've just been doing graphics only, and I couldn't settle on a game engine. I think, though, that now the engine of choice is going to be finalized.

But for what was shown, yeah, that was using RMXP. It's such a graphically unfriendly program. XE

@Perp. Then it comes down to that window. It's an aesthetic that I just do not want there.

I'll manage the sprites out somehow in RPG Maker if I have too.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Ok well I did some research and it turns out that yes, you can remove the text window and indeed any other elements you wish from the BYOND interface. I'm not sure about the command bar at the bottom, but tonight if I feel well enough I will have a mess around with the new interface and see if I can get just the map screen going. At worst, you'll have that command bar at the bottom and the map screen on its own.

EDIT: Turns out you can remove the command bar too. Neat!

Last edited:

Kine

Whatev
Years
Oh thank God. Hey, can I get a screenshot or something of what the end result will look like without all that clutter?

OH oh, one other thing. 8 directional pixel by pixel movement (instead of tile). It can be done, right? When I was working with it, I could only manage tiles, but I assume that's just default.

Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2013
Well, because I'm such an awesome BYOND coder (:P), I can rewrite the Move function to make the players move pixel by pixel instead, it'll just take a decent amount of coding. As for the screen, I'll need a little while to play with the commands so I know what I'm doing, then I'll post a screenshot here so you can see.

Also, my current work schedule is Monday, Tuesday and Friday, so I won't be able to do much during those days, and of course it'd be nice to have some time off otherwise. Still, I'll try and prioritize your project when I do get free time... *is typing this at 1AM*

Further note: I live in Australia. My Monday is like your Sunday night and Monday morning or something, and that works for the rest of the week too.

Kine

Whatev
Years
Alright, well I'll await that (pic). Other than that, the first thing I'll have you do is just the movement alone. I'm not sure which version you're using, though.

Back