• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokedit Hacked or fair game?

Mikazuki

"Someday, I will..."
Years
This is a discussion on Pokedit. On the website players have the option to trade pokemon and created pokemon directly to past gen games, particularly Black/white and Black/white 2. With the forthcoming release of Pokemon bank in the US, would you consider Pokemon obtained or created through Pokedit and their services "hacked". What if they have legitimate move sets and stats? What if they're used only for breeding? What about using it for missed event pokemon? I am in no way in support of cheating or hacked pokemon, but I'm torn about if it's cheating on the basis of the last couple questions I listed. What does everyone else think? Please discuss! No flaming other for their opinions. This should be a rational discussion please!

Mods! Sorry if this is the wrong section! I know hacked pokemon are most often talked about here, so please excuse me and move this thread I it's in the wrong section! Thank you!

Last edited:
Years
First of all, it's useful to know couple of terms:

Legitimate: Pokemon data solely created by the game without the means of outside program such as action replay or Pokegen.
Hacked: Opposite of legitimate.
Legal: Possible to be created by the game. Hacked Pokemon can be legal.
Illegal: Opposite of legal.

Now to get to cheating... Using hacked Pokemon for trading and battling against others is considered cheating in my opinion solely because people with hacked Pokemon have an edge over people who don't cheat. But it's still a grey area as some say they're not bothered to earn Pokemon legitimately or use RNG to get them and as long as the Pokemon itself is legal. It's up to you, honestly.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Basically that. Just saying but hacks aren't allowed whatsoever on PC and if you bring one to a live tournament, you may find yourself permanently banned from participating. In general, it's a lot safer to just go legit.

Mikazuki

"Someday, I will..."
Years
All interesting views. I too agree anything created outside the game is in fact a hack, even if it is a "legal" pokemon. I would also support the fact that it is indeed wrong to use them for battling and trading, but it's one of those grey areas for me in terms of using them for breeding (i.e. a 6IV Ditto). They are few and far between to come by and with it being so hard to find a Ditto safari with the owners not always willing to accept new friends, it isn't ALWAYS practical for the average player to obtain one. Also given most "average players" probably wouldn't be spending the same amount of time breeding "perfect" pokemon, some do. Without the safari it would take the "average player" absurd amounts of time to collect lower IV pokemon and breed a "perfect" Ditto for breeding and by that point many of those players would or may be dissuaded from breeding the other "perfect" pokemon they're looking for. RNG Pokemon in my opinion are just as much hacks as ones obtained through sites like Pokedit, although they do take much more time, work, and patience to generate for someone just learning the method. I am skeptic in using any of the previous stated methods because I don't want to ruin my name or future reputation as a breeder/trainer, but I see why people would use them.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
RNG abuse is abusing a mechanic in game with no outside program giving you your Pokemon. It just tells you when to start the game and hit certain buttons. It's legit and allowed at Pokemon VGC events. :3

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
RNG is fully in-game. The guy in charge of VGC pretty much said "go for it" when asked about RNG and no one's been banned for anything RNG'd. Essentially, this is how RNG works. In your game, a bunch of hidden numbers change all the time depending on the time of the DS, the buttons you're hitting, and so on. What RNG reporter does is figure out exactly what to hit at what time in order to get a certain set of numbers to pop up. When that set of numbers is generated, boom, you have your RNG'd 'mon. Soft resetting is a form of RNG manipulation, it's just a lot less accurate.

RNGing doesn't fall remotely near hacking.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I'm an outcast on this situation. I see no problem with Legal Pokémon. I won't personally trade for them unless I need it for breeding. This is a vast grey area. Is your hatched Legit Pokémon worth less because a parent is Legal? Technically hacking helped you get your Legit Pokémon. The baby is by definition 100% Legit. This is still really grey though.

Like the 6IV Ditto brought up previously in this thread. I can't personally verify if mine are legit. It is so easy to make a Legal Pokémon and call it RNG. You can build every aspect to pass a legality analysis. A lot of people don't so it makes it easier for us to spot the hacks.

I personally view using Legal breeding parents like Cloning. Cloning is taking advantage of game bugs or even using a third party program to generate the Clone.

Again all my PERSONAL opinion but I view Clones as Legal, not Legit.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
There's no RNG for gen 6. The closest thing to RNG is that egg trick that was discovered some months back.

And with that, Egg Trick is almost pointless with a 6IV Ditto. Breeding is so easy with 6IV Ditto that Egg Trick is actually slower.

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
It's not pointless. The Egg Trick allows you to spot random 31 IVs, so if you're after a 6V Pokemon, Egg Trick is the most reliable method.

About hacks: just... don't. Doesn't matter whether it's battling or trading, it's still not fair. In breeding, it's pure scamming and stealing legit Pokemon from others, in battling it's showing that you have absolutely no respect for your opponents who actually take time and and effort to get their competitively viable team as opposed to a few clicks in a program made for hacking.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
It's not pointless. The Egg Trick allows you to spot random 31 IVs, so if you're after a 6V Pokemon, Egg Trick is the most reliable method.

About hacks: just... don't. Doesn't matter whether it's battling or trading, it's still not fair. In breeding, it's pure scamming and stealing legit Pokemon from others, in battling it's showing that you have absolutely no respect for your opponents who actually take time and and effort to get their competitively viable team as opposed to a few clicks in a program made for hacking.

This is actually how I feel about Clones. When talking Competitive, using a Clone is just like hacking in my mind. This is why I only use my own personal bred Pokémon in battles. If you don't take the time to get your Pokémon you battle with, why not just use a simulator? Hack/Clone has zero actual effort done on your part.

Again it's all grey area. I personally accept Clones because everybody else does. Any Pokémon that are amazing and I trade away I intend on being non-redis. I have no control but a persons honor but I still try. I really accept Clones to breed or they are Pokémon I can't personally get like Legendary/Events. Every Clone I receive is redis in my eyes. Nobody cares about it, everybody trades in it, more value for me to trade with.

My living Pokédex consists of my OT Pokémon. Nothing in it has ever been distributed or cloned. I will allow Clones in rare situations but I want/keep the original.

I'm going on a rant. I simply see no pride in Hacks/Clones. Trade fodder is all they are. Clones in my eyes are Legal not Legit like I said before.

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
And with that, Egg Trick is almost pointless with a 6IV Ditto. Breeding is so easy with 6IV Ditto that Egg Trick is actually slower.

Do not be QUITE so quick to call it pointless, and slow.

You may have a 6 IV ditto, but unless your other parent is also a 6IV Pokemon you will in MOST cases still only get an egg with a 4IV Pokemon inside. Roughly speaking, if you have a 6IV parent and a 5IV parent, then only 1 in six eggs will hatch as a 5IV baby, the others will all hatch as only 4IV.... and only one out of 186 will acctually be flawless.

Now, if you have a 6IV parent, and 6 5IV parents that each have their missing stat in a different place, then you can egg trick to get a 5IV baby every time, and you increase your ability to get a flawless baby as 1 out of 32 eggs. Not too shabby. It also helps that if you are looking to see if the hidden ability will be passed on, which nature if you are not breeding with an Everstone.

Lastly, if you are aiming for a specific Hidden Power, the egg trick is UBER helpful.

Takumi.

Heart of a Clockwork Child
Years
Hmm, I think legit, created pokemon are a pain in the ass.

Yes its still fair game, but spending countless hours breeding for perfect IV's, EV training it, and leveling, takes an awefull huge amount of time and effort, which is rewarding as it gives you a competitive edge when battling. and if somebody generates a pokemon instantly, its a little annoying -_-

If, for instance, you were to look at pokemon in the role playing sense, where you get more enjoyment from your game, a trainer who caught pokemon, selectively bred from them to get a flawless pokemon, and spent hours training it specifically to enhance its strengths, they would be a forced to be reckoned with.

But I could spend hours training a Pokemon to find it didnt fit in with my team right, and trade it for a 'legit' created pokemon, and be none the wiser. It really is a grey area, I just take enjoyment knowing that the more hours i spend training a pokemon, the more I know its strengths and weakness's. People who create legit pokemon, usually based on smogons stats, can be seen a mile off, as they dont know how to play their team very well (just my opinion)

So in conclusion, its frustrating that they exist, but I'm confident my genuine team can stand up to them, as I know them better :)

Super Bling

Clair pretty thick, huh?
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 10, 2014
well, no one uses real in game teams (excluding pokemon x and y) to play competitively. I have a full team of 6 in BW2, all perfect EVs and IVs, all created, all shiny (but to be honest i would have taken them off shiny if i had known) but since im a scrub I still lose to in game teams, so it really is all based on the player's skill. So you can say that making pokemon is cheating, but more often than not people do it because it's fast, simple, and the best way to get in the game and play. I will agree with the upper post, though. Sometimes you can throw some random, ridiculous Pokemon (and moveset) out there and totally screw over an average, basic, OU team.

So think of it this way, think of your perfect team, would you honestly waste days and days to get it, or reach your full potential in just minutes? There's really no bad thing about it.

Last edited:

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I understand the reasons people do it but if you allow hacked Pokémon who will want to put the effort in to get Legit Pokémon? Why would I spend days trying when I'm most likely trading it for a hack?

It's almost impossible to tell a Legit Pokémon from a Legal one. When you factor RNG into the mix it becomes a huge mess. That is why I will use the Pokémon I get for breeding but not to battle.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I've never cared if people use legit hacked Pokemon (keep your ****ing Wondertombs and the like away from me though). It's your game, do whatever you want with it. I'm not so self-righteous that the thought of somone hacking in a Pokemon gets me upset. Particularly when Pokemon with perfect IVs, natures, etc are so common in competitve battles (so its hardly an advantage if you hack). I couldn't care less how you got your perfect team of pokes, I just wanna battle.

Snoochey

Advanced Trader
Years
This is actually how I feel about Clones. When talking Competitive, using a Clone is just like hacking in my mind. This is why I only use my own personal bred Pokémon in battles. If you don't take the time to get your Pokémon you battle with, why not just use a simulator? Hack/Clone has zero actual effort done on your part.

Again it's all grey area. I personally accept Clones because everybody else does. Any Pokémon that are amazing and I trade away I intend on being non-redis. I have no control but a persons honor but I still try. I really accept Clones to breed or they are Pokémon I can't personally get like Legendary/Events. Every Clone I receive is redis in my eyes. Nobody cares about it, everybody trades in it, more value for me to trade with.

My living Pokédex consists of my OT Pokémon. Nothing in it has ever been distributed or cloned. I will allow Clones in rare situations but I want/keep the original.

I'm going on a rant. I simply see no pride in Hacks/Clones. Trade fodder is all they are. Clones in my eyes are Legal not Legit like I said before.

Hey buddy. I disagree with the bolded statement. I've bred a LOT of my own pokémon, but cloning and trading still has taken a lot of time and effort on my part. Sure it's much less time to clone a shiny than to breed one but it's not a zero effort thing. Of course hacking your pokémon is redundant but for cloning it's all in-game.

I do not agree with hacking or downloading .pkm files for pokémon. I am fine with RNG and cloning because all they require is the game system and the game. I did not agree with the trainer shiny value method of hatching shinies very much (although I did do it for a short time), but it gets grey right there. Technically I am not modifying anything with an outside program but it's still using an outside program to check the values and stats. Is that wrong? I do not know. Still confused about it haha.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Like I said, it's all grey. Clones in Gen 6 may be created all in game but in previous Gens it wasn't always done so.

My first post in this thread though, I specifically said I wasn't against Clones or Legal Pokémon.

Back