• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen An introduction of new types...?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I don't ever see any new types being released. If they did release another type, there would be barely any Pokémon of its type, as they would be only coming from one generation. They could do a Magneton on us, but there might be a Pokémon of two types that would deserve the type more and just cause confusion.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Oh gosh, no. I don't want a new type at all. :c
Especially not a "ight" type. wtf was the point of Dark type in the first place? We already have electric and fire, can't they be "light" enough? A Light type would just be ridiculous, imo.

Yet Dark can be catered for through Ghost and Psychic types, but was still introduced, so why not a Light type?

I don't ever see any new types being released. If they did release another type, there would be barely any Pokémon of its type, as they would be only coming from one generation. They could do a Magneton on us, but there might be a Pokémon of two types that would deserve the type more and just cause confusion.

Well, not necessarily. Pokemon of previous generations have had their typings adjusted in the past, so if a new type were to be introduced, who's saying Pokemon from Gen I - V, won't change?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Yet Dark can be catered for through Ghost and Psychic types, but was still introduced, so why not a Light type?
To nerf Psychics, and give something more to Bug types. That and it is set up as different to Ghost and Psychics (again, Psychics all about using mental prowess, while Dark has to do with 'dirty' or rough fighting...and ghosts are ghosts!). While Dark (and Steel) was to give more balance to the type system, a Light type would not do that as there is no major problem to fix in the first place, and it brings about problems that were not so major back in gen 2.

There's a heck of a lot more reasons for no type change in gen 6 than back in gen 2. But then I'd just be repeating myself. =p But at any rate, because they did it before doesn't make it likely they'd do it again. Otherwise B2W2 wouldn't have existed and we'd have our RSE remakes instead now going by patterns.

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2014
i personally dont think we will see an introduction of new types, seeing as its pretty much covered, what i would REALLY enjoy seeing is some more fire types, seriously lacking in that department, and not as many water types.

and please introduce a really sick dual type STEEL-ICE.

Autaven

Gamer Girl
Years
I find it unlikely, I do think if they were going to add more they'd have done it already. However I'm not opposed to the idea - I'd be quite happy with new types.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I would love to see a Light type introduced, 'cause honestly... there's no weakness to Ghost/Dark type Pokémon like Spiritomb and Sableye. Unless a Pokémon uses Foresight, Lock-on or Odor Sleuth on those Pokémon... it's impossible to deal Super Effective damage to those Pokémon.

So I think it's about time Generation VI introduced a Light type. 'Cause you think about it... a light bulb lights up a room, which means light defeats Dark. And plus... Ghosts like to hang out in dark areas, so they hate light. Same would apply if there was a Light type, which would mean X4 the damage done if a Light type attack was used against Spiritomb or Sableye. Every Pokémon has to have weakness, but those are the only Pokémon that don't, so it would have to be fair if a Light type was introduced.

Mista T

Pityin' fools.
Years
No way, no how, not never. There is absolutely no reason why a new type would be added. It would thoroughly wreck the metagame as well as pre-established typings. Dark and Steel were added to fix a problem with the Psychic-type, and that's arguably the only reason behind this addition. Adding more types at this point would be a case of trying to fix a non-existent problem.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I would love to see a Light type introduced, 'cause honestly... there's no weakness to Ghost/Dark type Pokémon like Spiritomb and Sableye. Unless a Pokémon uses Foresight, Lock-on or Odor Sleuth on those Pokémon... it's impossible to deal Super Effective damage to those Pokémon.

So I think it's about time Generation VI introduced a Light type. 'Cause you think about it... a light bulb lights up a room, which means light defeats Dark. And plus... Ghosts like to hang out in dark areas, so they hate light. Same would apply if there was a Light type, which would mean X4 the damage done if a Light type attack was used against Spiritomb or Sableye. Every Pokémon has to have weakness, but those are the only Pokémon that don't, so it would have to be fair if a Light type was introduced.

Sableye and Spiritomb's stats make them easy enough to contest with. And really if they wanted to remove the no weakness, all they have to do is remove Ghost's resistance to Bug. The Bug types would just be SE to Dark in the match up and they's have a weakness. But again, none of the Dark/Ghost have ever been game breaking enough to deserve a type chart reset.

Well, not necessarily. Pokemon of previous generations have had their typings adjusted in the past, so if a new type were to be introduced, who's saying Pokemon from Gen I - V, won't change?

Only Pokemon that got a type change was Magnemite to add to the number of Steel types in Gen 2. Its the only Pokemon with a full type change other than Rotom getting a partial type change when it changes forms to limit its battle capabilities.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
I dont really see any new types being made. However maybe the super effectiveness of some types might be altered? Because in my opinion, poison should be supper effective against bug. Cuz pesticides > bugs.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
A New Type

So, awhile ago me and my brother stumbled across some Pokemon news (which apparently happened to be fake.) It mentioned that Pokemon was going to introduce a new typing.
Now, while I discovered the news is fake, it got me thinking about what they could add as a new type.

The only types I could fathom in my mind were like.. Sun or Light type, or possibly something like a Cosmic/Star type.

Do you think they will add a new type to Pokemon.. To X/Y, or ever?
Do you want them to?

loucas

100% hot
Years
17. that's it. rock, paper scissors. no sky, sun or sea. it's balanced you see.

maybe new type combo, but not new types.
maybe more fusion, as we started talking DNA. so yeah.

Turnip

Magnificent Turnip
Years
Turnip type. It's bound to happen.

Nah, anyway, I'm not sure about new types. It'd be cool, yes, but there'd be all of the complications with balancing and re-typing issues, probably adding quite a few attacks, too (they can hardly have an entire new type and only have it having one attack).

If they were to do it, it'd all depend on whether they did it well or not. I don't think many people would complain if they added in a few new types and balanced them really well.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I doubt it. They brought in Steel and Dark purely to even things out, Psychic was overpowered and... I don't know. I read a decent explanation somewhere once, and while I can't remember it word for word, I know that it's unlikely and unnecessary for more new types to be introduced. :)

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Why do we need a Light type to oppose Dark? There are already things that Dark is weak to.. it's not like it's overpowered or anything.

They didn't bring in new types "just because" they did it because Psychic was way overpowered and they wanted to balance everything out. I don't think that adding a new type would help balance anything, it would probably actually ruin a lot of things because a lot of past Pokemon would need re-typing, and it just seems like a lot of unnecessary effort, I don't think there's going to be a new typing =/

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
I'm going to bring a different point of view than the type match ups. If they add more types, then gamefreak can have more creativity in creating each pokemon. A lot of people complain about how redundant pokemon have been over the years, though I disagree, adding a new type allows so many more creative options. For example, we may have our differences about adding a light type, but think about how untouched it's art style is in the pokemon world. There are very few white pokemon.

Instead of looking at often negative view of complicating match ups, look at the creative freedom a new type can open up to pokemon design.

Schwan

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 2, 2016
I'm pretty sure new types were only introduced in Gen II to balance out types that were considered "significantly better" than others (obviously Psychic, lol.) While I have believed for a while that Steel and Dark may be a tad too strong in terms of resistances or overall stats, I do not think that new types are necessary to balance out these often subjective imbalances.

Years
The only reason a new type would need to be created is to give a boost to poison types who suffer severely from lack of reliable, powerful STAB since grass is the only thing weak to it. It would also be helpful if it were to be resisted by ice types who need the extra defensive help.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I don't think they create Pokemon to fit a certain type, they might say "We need more Steel types" and create some based off of that, but I don't think they're not going to say, "Oh, we can't have this be a Pokemon because we don't have a type for it." Porygon's line would be a perfect Digital type, but in the end it's just normal. If they create a "Light type Pokemon" what's stopping them from just making it a Psychic or Normal type? I don't think that not having more types is limiting their creativity :)

Maybe if they gave Poison a bunch of super high powered moves instead of adding a new type? idk I just think that adding a new type will fix anything.

FlameNexus

Team Nexus!
Years
Hm, that is a possibility, but, either way, i see where you're going with this. B/W Started the route system back at Route 1, so maybe X&Y's game routes will be continued after the last route in B/W.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
I don't think they create Pokemon to fit a certain type, they might say "We need more Steel types" and create some based off of that, but I don't think they're not going to say, "Oh, we can't have this be a Pokemon because we don't have a type for it." Porygon's line would be a perfect Digital type, but in the end it's just normal. If they create a "Light type Pokemon" what's stopping them from just making it a Psychic or Normal type? I don't think that not having more types is limiting their creativity :)

Maybe if they gave Poison a bunch of super high powered moves instead of adding a new type? idk I just think that adding a new type will fix anything.

Here's another way to look at it. What type would you make Umbreon if the dark type never existed? What type would you make Steelix if steel never existed.

Back