• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Contest: PokéCommunity Hack-off: Team 2

BlackStorm20x

Content Creator
Years

Pokemon: Professor Oak's Back-Up

Hack of: FireRed 1.0 (U)
Rom Base: MrDollSteak's Attack and Decap Base

Story

"Pokémon: Oak's Back-up"

Since the dawn of Pokémon games, our journies have begun with the wise words of a Pokémon Professor. And, in each Pokémon laboratory, there are a team of scientists, hard at work, assisting these Professors in their research; the Aides!

In 'Pokémon: Oak's Back-Up', play as Aidan, a promising young scientist with a passion for Pokémon. with no Pokémon of his own, Aidan follows the path of Pokémon research, rather than Training.
One day, while hard at work in Professor Oak's Lab in Pallet Town, the Prof. himself approaches Aidan with a request. Another of Oak's Aides, Adrienne, has been away on a job, and it is taking her longer than expected to return. No need to worry; Adrienne's relaxed attitude is constantly getting her in trouble at the Lab. Nevertheless, Oak would like for Aidan to travel to the Sevii Islands to fetch Adrienne and return home, to get back to work.

Choose from one of three special Starter Pokémon from the Sinnoh region, and embark on a brand new adventure through the Sevii Islands!

For those of you who are interested in a timeline, Pokémon: Oak's Back-Up takes place two (2) years after GSC/HGSS, thus five (5) years after RBY/FRLG, when the Sevii Islands were first introduced.

Features

New Story
4th Gen Pokemon
Physical/Special Split
Fairy-Type
New Moves
New Abilities
Decapitalisation
New Tiles
Plenty of Easter Eggs!

Screenshots

Dj4Hkzo.png
wJZqklk.png
weJLsEI.png
screenshots_zpswoclmut2.png

Videos

Spoiler:

The Team

giradialkia
Sniper
Slowpoke13
Navenatox
BlackStorm20x

Downloads

Version 1
Mirror

Notes

Points of note:

- This hack differs from other Pokémon games you've played. You do not collect badges, you do not strive to fill the Pokédex, you do not challenge the Pokémon League. You are playing the specific role of Aidan, a young scientist working under Professor Oak. Play the game to find out more!

- Aidan and Adrienne use Brendan and May's sprites. Yes, we know. Ideally, they'd have their own designs, but time was a factor (not to mention spriting abilities). Some day, we will update with new sprites, but for now, try to look past the character sprites.
(The owner of the Two Island Game Corner notes that Adrienne wears a white coat – she will, at some point!)

- When you capture a Pokémon, and already have a party of 6, there is no message for sending that Pokémon to the box. This is more noticeable when you nickname that Pokémon – a blank text-box appears. Not game breaking, just a little jarring. We imagine it's something to do with JPAN's base, and are looking into it.
- On the topic of capturing Pokémon, make sure to explore a route thoroughly. It might be a while before you get to revisit.

Last edited:
Years
Alright then, since we haven't shared any content with you guys yet, it's about time we do so.

Based on interdpth's RTC system, I have created a berry tree routine that uses the real time to determine whether or not enough time has passed since the player last picked a berry. I also checks what kind of berry there grows since the various berries require different amounts of time to grow:

The first 8 berries (Cheri Berry to Persim Berry) take 1 hour to grow.
The next 18 berries (Lum Berry to Tomato Berry) take 2 hours to grow.
The remaining berries take 4 hours to grow.

Here's a little video to illustrate how it looks like in-game:

Last edited:

Skaraborne

The sharpest 'mon in the thread
Years
*Leaking information on Easter Eggs*

Spoiler:

That's all! You have to play the game next month to know what I mean!
See ya!

Last edited:
Years
Fellow hackers, be prepared for a fun new mini(ng) game!

Our hack brings back the atmosphere of Sinnoh's Underground! Well, at least a bit.

Here's how it works:
There will be a small cave where you can mine for hidden treasures. Every time you mine, you have a

• 10% chance to get a fossil
  • 15% chance to get an evolutionary stone
  • 15% chance to get a valuable item
You can mine 10 times per run. After that, you'll have to wait for an hour before you can play again.

Stay tuned for more! And thanks Slowpoke for the idea :)

Years
I know double posts are prohibited, but we have another update, so I hope we can make an exemption here.

I've been working on tile insertion, and here's a preview of what it looks like:
Spoiler:

Credits to The-Red-eX.

This is only a test map and will probably not be in the final game. Also I'm aware there will be a need for more tiles, but this is to give you a taste of what the maps will look like.

BlackStorm20x

Content Creator
Years
The story has finally been added to the thread! :D Make sure to check it out! Not only that, but the tiles have been inserted and we are getting ready to add indoor running! Because that's aggravating. lol

Last edited:

Skaraborne

The sharpest 'mon in the thread
Years
Hey everyone, this is probably Team 2's last update before our final release is in. Yes, I'm saying final, since the game will be complete when we release it. We may however tweak some bugs and eventually add more postgame later, but first we have to make our first release, haha.
So all tiles have been inserted, and so do all plot scripts (NPC scripts are currently in development) and we've playtested the game and of course we took a few screenshots. (And that's what we would like to show you.) Thrse screen captures are in the attachments, so I'd say, enjoy them!

Progress
Story - finished
4th Gen Pokémon - finished
PSS - finished
Fairy type - finished
New moves - finished
New abilities - finished
Decapitalisation - finished
Indoor running (probably scrapped due to having no running animations of our main character)
New tiles - finished
Plenty of Easter Eggs - Well... no idea.

That's it for now. See ya soon on the final release!

EDIT: Don't mind the overworld sprites on the screenies, they're going to be used due to conflicting with palettes.

Last edited:
Years
Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
There be minor plot spoilers ahead, mateys!

Played through the main story, and really enjoyed it. I normally don't gush about tiles, but I absolutely loved all three sets of tree tiles. I wouldn't have done the mountain palette that exact color, but the mountain tiles were otherwise great too.

I know that this was rushed due to how the competition is set up, but I believe that some further level balancing is in order. I caught a team of six on One Island, and only gained 9 or 10 levels (spread across my team, not each) total until the Trainer Tower, where I was repeatedly wiped by Pokemon that were levels and levels above me with coverage for DAYS. I was forced to grind another 13 or so levels total outside of the Trainer Tower to be competitive again, and even then, I cheesed several encounters with Breloom Leech Seed stall. Running back and forth through all the Trainer Tower floors after every battle got old really quickly.

As for bugs, I didn't run into any that affected my gameplay, though there are minor text errors strewn everywhere. The only typo I saw was the little boy in the Mining Minigame cave who speaks about wanting to find a fossil. He says "fo" instead of "to" in his text. Most of the problems are grammatical or errors in formatting that's specific to the Pokemon games. For example, nearly every use of the ellipsis in the hack is done incorrectly. The Pokemon games have a singular character for the ellipsis, and it is never formatted as three individual periods. All ellipses in your (XSE) scripts should be "[.]" (without the quotes, obviously), and not "..." as you have it. In fact, I think I only saw one correctly formatted ellipsis. The copious usage of the dash throughout the story is grammatically incorrect as well. I don't believe the Pokemon games have the correct character for the dash that you likely meant to use in nearly every instance ("—" is the one for full stops in speech, not "-". Notice the first one is about twice the width of the second.) In character sets without the longer dash, it should be done as "--", two of the shorter ones right next to each other. You'll notice that many word processors automatically will insert the longer "—" when you do this. There should also be no space between the dash and the words it is connecting. So, it should be something like, "Two girls--one cup" and not "Two girls -- one cup". I don't remember an instance in the vanilla Pokemon games where the dash is used as a full stop, so I don't know if GameFreak's localization team made up their own convention because of their lack of the proper character (they've made up their own grammar rules occasionally when they've had to for formatting purposes), but this is the standard.

There were several instances while playing where I've talked to background characters that had something interesting to say that led me to believe there would be more information hidden nearby. For example, I believe it was on Five Island, there was a house where the people inside mention history and reading books. They had a bookshelf in their house that I assumed was going to elaborate more on what they were talking about, but the bookshelf had the standard behavior byte text. Unfortunately, I played more to enjoy the game than to critique it, so I didn't have a notepad open on the side like I normally do to jot down where exactly I thought the game led me on but didn't deliver. These sorts of minor things are great for giving the player some more lore without force feeding it to them. But I understand that this was an easily overlooked detail with the time constraints.

As for the story, I thought it was somewhere in between average and good. I liked being able to see what was up with the Sevii Islands after all of that time. I felt as if every character (even background characters) had some personality, and many of the Trainer battle quotes were very funny or otherwise memorable. Great job not making everyone generic!

One of the things I would change is how much Mr. Briney talks. I know that the player fills him in on what has happened before every island change, but that's why GameFreak does the iconic, "So what happened [player]?" "[player]: [.] [.] [.]" "Oh, really? Okay so then I guess we should (do this)." Instead, you have Mr. Briney regurgitating back the events that the player just went through over too many unskippable boxes of text, and then doing his own musings and interpretations of those events before he finally, mercifully says, "Okay, we should do this now in response to what you've just told me." I understand that you wanted to characterize Briney a bit as the caring old friend of Oak who's super emotionally invested in what's going on, but you could do that on the first or second island trip and then keep him relatively quiet. You showed us that they're old friends in the hack's opening, you also showed us that he cares about what's going on at One, Two, and Three Island. You can cut his text short afterwards without losing anything of value. His foreshadowing of something not being right is unnecessary as well. I went into this hack completely blind and knew that something bad had happened to Adrienne from the moment she wasn't on One Island. Mr. Briney doesn't need to voice any revelations for the players. I think the best way to shorten his Team Rocket reaction is to make him gravely silent for a moment (with ellipses!) and then say something like, "Team Rocket was active several years ago in Kanto and Johto. If they've returned, than Adrienne is in grave danger. We have to go, now!" That also instills a sense of urgency in the player and gets them more invested in the plot.

I personally would've also renamed the islands to their actual names. So Knot Island, Floe Island, etc. I know that that's definitely a personal preference, but I feel as if that would've made the islands more memorable, given them more individuality, and would've sunk the player's mindset deeper into the world. The current naming convention sort of breaks the suspension of disbelief.

You also need to vary the music choices quite a bit. I think that the first three islands all used the same town and route music, which was not fun to play through, and got old and annoying very quickly. I know that the Sevii Islands aren't particularly known for their musical variety (I believe they shared some themes between them in Fr/Lg, right?) but you really have to fix that. It was very jarring and very noticeable.

The characters on top of the Trainer Tower were very well shrouded. I had no guesses at all at who would be up there until literally the textbox before the warp. I originally thought it would only be a certain male protagonist that we all know and love, and not the other two people that were with that person, which actually dampened the reveal's impact for me. I feel like it should've only been the one character, and not all three. (I'm being intentionally vague here, because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who's skimming through).

If it's so important that those three get to that one location in the epilogue, why does Oak stop to talk to Adrienne in the middle of the text? It just makes him seem overly absentminded and really weakens the player's perception of how big a threat they're actually dealing with. I'd cut that, and then have Briney describe (as he already does) that Oak didn't mean to snap at/ignore them, it's just that important things are going down and that he's sure Oak is happy that they're safe.

Was I right in assuming that the only postgame was the Four Island visit? I explored a bit more and didn't find anything extra to do, but admittedly, I didn't look very hard. If there is more content, maybe you could use Four Island to give us a little hint on where to look. I also assumed, since everyone was talking about it, that Icefall Cave would be accessible eventually and that I would get Surf from either the camper directly south of it or from Lorelei, and that the Surf HM would open up a ton of extra little side areas to explore off of the main paths. I wasn't expecting any big events or anything, just maybe a trip through the Water Labyrinth with some Trainers to battle or something. A bunch of items to pick up by using Surf to go off the main path. Those sorts of little things. Again, I knew going in that time constraints would limit possible postgame, but this is an avenue I think would be worth going down if the team wants to stay together long enough to tie up these loose ends in the content.

Overall, this was well done, and I commend you all for your hard work. The effort you all put in really shows.

Spoiler:

Years
There be minor plot spoilers ahead, mateys!
Spoiler:

(I spoilered just to avoid making people scroll too much).

Hi! Thanks a bunch for playing, and thanks even more for your in-depth review, it's really appreciated! :) I'll address your post point-by-point. Before I do, I'll give a general disclaimer; we're taking a brief break, but we're absolutely going to make changes to this hack, fixiing errors (despite our ruthless testing, haha) and generally updating things.
One large update we're toying with is the ability to travel backwards through the Islands. Backtracking is one common feature of the Pokémon games, that was missing from ours. Given the nature of our story, it sort of makes sense, but it'd still probably suit to have some sort of back-travelling method.
Furthermore, there is little to no postgame at present; that's something we figured we'd add after the competition. Your guesses and suggestions on what we should add are precisely what we have in mind - we just haven't gotten around to it yet. The main story was, typically, our main concern. On with my response to your review!

Yes, the level curve is a factor that's very difficult to manage. Originally, the final battle of the game was level 50 rather than 43, and I have to laugh at how naive I was to think it'd work. On the whole, we tried to scale the Wild Pokémon's levels so that they'd never reach those of the Trainers in any given route. That's reasonably true of all the Pokémon games. The starter is given at level 35 for the sake of people being able to teach them the Ultimate Moves; admittedly basing the idea slightly on the Pokémon ORAS demo. Long story short, this isn't the hardest thing to change, and depending on how others perceive it, we'll update and (hopefully) improve the challenge the hack provides.

The text errors, 100% my bad. I seriously, SERIOUSLY need to look up the correct use of the dash and semicolon - and I play it far too fast and loose with the common comma, too. I even noticed myself, the nature of the dialogue just didn't really fit well in the game's text box. This'll take a bit more time (and time was a factor in its release), but again, it's something we can fix up.

I was in charge of the Trainers and NPCs - I'm glad you found some of them funny and/or memorable, and as for those who were a little misleading (I believe I know who you're talking about). I was going to scatter some Sevii Island lore throughout the islands, but again, time was a factor, so we devoted all of our attention to the main game's completion.

We'll also have a look at how Briney speaks. Again, my writing tends to get suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper drawn-out (you should've seen Oak's initial speech in the lab. I actually lost interest, myself). It's tricky, because we're sticking with the golden rule - the protagonist must never speak! So we just wanted to completely clarify events as they transpired. Sometimes it's hard to know if you're being clear, or if you're just conscious of what's supposed to be happening, when it just might be a poor implication.
I'll need to re-read to be certain on his dialogue about Team Rocket, but remember, Briney is from Hoenn. He's an old friend of Oak's, but even Oak has never had much to do with Team Rocket's exploits, and so Briney would only have heard tales of "some team dressed in black".
Still, we'll review it and try to make his dialogue less drawn-out.

The island names - I considered it, but as we're going for our own canon with the official games, we stuck with the numbers rather than the names. I know, they suck, but eh, I'll give the actual names some attention in the Sevii lore.

As for music, I solemnly swear that I am making some remixes. Time was short; that's all. :)

Glad you weren't totally expecting the top of Trainer Tower - that's the aim. I am pretty sad to hear the reveal was dampened for you, but I guess that's life. As for Oak speaking to Adrienne despite the urgency of the situation, this is another instance where we were worried about clarity. The game obviously ends here (well, the main game ends, anyway), and so we were concerned people would just think "Wait, what the crap just happened?". We had Oak speak to Adrienne to sort of say "Okay, good to see you but I have no time" - we wanted the player to be aware that they wouldn't be accompanying Oak (and the others) to whatever the big issue is.

Thank you for playing, and for your review! I hope, on the whole, it was an enjoyable experience, and we will work on improving it for everyone. :)
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
First of all, thanks for playing our hack and giving us your (extensive) feedback! I know giradialkia already responded, but since I have a few things to say too (and I already typed most of it), here it goes:

I know that this was rushed due to how the competition is set up, but I believe that some further level balancing is in order. I caught a team of six on One Island, and only gained 9 or 10 levels (spread across my team, not each) total until the Trainer Tower, where I was repeatedly wiped by Pokemon that were levels and levels above me with coverage for DAYS. I was forced to grind another 13 or so levels total outside of the Trainer Tower to be competitive again, and even then, I cheesed several encounters with Breloom Leech Seed stall. Running back and forth through all the Trainer Tower floors after every battle got old really quickly.
Yeah I was a bit afraid that we would require the players to grind in order to be able to compete with the Trainers, although I have to admit that we intentionally made the game a bit challenging. Especially in the Trainer Tower, we wanted to make the players consider their moves more thoroughly than in any regular battle. When I played it through, I also grinded a bit and used all the Rare Candies that I had found, resulting in having a team of three Pokemon at levels 38, 39 and 40 which was just high enough for me to make it through the Tower. I do realize that the Trainers are pretty strong, even if we already lowered their levels quite a lot, so we'll most likely have to change them again.

As for bugs, I didn't run into any that affected my gameplay, though there are minor text errors strewn everywhere. The only typo I saw was the little boy in the Mining Minigame cave who speaks about wanting to find a fossil. He says "fo" instead of "to" in his text. Most of the problems are grammatical or errors in formatting that's specific to the Pokemon games. For example, nearly every use of the ellipsis in the hack is done incorrectly. The Pokemon games have a singular character for the ellipsis, and it is never formatted as three individual periods. All ellipses in your (XSE) scripts should be "[.]" (without the quotes, obviously), and not "..." as you have it. In fact, I think I only saw one correctly formatted ellipsis. The copious usage of the dash throughout the story is grammatically incorrect as well. I don't believe the Pokemon games have the correct character for the dash that you likely meant to use in nearly every instance ("—" is the one for full stops in speech, not "-". Notice the first one is about twice the width of the second.) In character sets without the longer dash, it should be done as "--", two of the shorter ones right next to each other. You'll notice that many word processors automatically will insert the longer "—" when you do this. There should also be no space between the dash and the words it is connecting. So, it should be something like, "Two girls--one cup" and not "Two girls -- one cup". I don't remember an instance in the vanilla Pokemon games where the dash is used as a full stop, so I don't know if GameFreak's localization team made up their own convention because of their lack of the proper character (they've made up their own grammar rules occasionally when they've had to for formatting purposes), but this is the standard.
Actually I think you confuse something here. I agree that you should use [.] instead of ..., but that's what we did most of the time. Since you mentioned that you only saw like one right ellipsis, I assume that you mixed up the looks of the ellipsis and a triple-dot. The ellipsis uses smaller dots and has smaller gaps in between, while three dots in a row are larger and have bigger gaps.

As for the dash, I knew that the way we used isn't quite the very correct one, but since the game doesn't seem to have any dash other than the short hyphen, I thought that this way of using it wouldn't be such big of a deal. To be honest, I for one think that a single hyphen surrounded by spaces still looks better than a double-hyphen with no spaces at all, but if that's the correct usage, we maybe should consider changing it.

There were several instances while playing where I've talked to background characters that had something interesting to say that led me to believe there would be more information hidden nearby. For example, I believe it was on Five Island, there was a house where the people inside mention history and reading books. They had a bookshelf in their house that I assumed was going to elaborate more on what they were talking about, but the bookshelf had the standard behavior byte text. Unfortunately, I played more to enjoy the game than to critique it, so I didn't have a notepad open on the side like I normally do to jot down where exactly I thought the game led me on but didn't deliver. These sorts of minor things are great for giving the player some more lore without force feeding it to them. But I understand that this was an easily overlooked detail with the time constraints.

Admittedly, I think we didn't even take into consideration that texts like this could lead players to become curious and to want to find out more about it. But thinking of it now, maybe we really should add small details like this more to round off the stories that these people tell.

One of the things I would change is how much Mr. Briney talks. I know that the player fills him in on what has happened before every island change, but that's why GameFreak does the iconic, "So what happened [player]?" "[player]: [.] [.] [.]" "Oh, really? Okay so then I guess we should (do this)." Instead, you have Mr. Briney regurgitating back the events that the player just went through over too many unskippable boxes of text, and then doing his own musings and interpretations of those events before he finally, mercifully says, "Okay, we should do this now in response to what you've just told me." I understand that you wanted to characterize Briney a bit as the caring old friend of Oak who's super emotionally invested in what's going on, but you could do that on the first or second island trip and then keep him relatively quiet. You showed us that they're old friends in the hack's opening, you also showed us that he cares about what's going on at One, Two, and Three Island. You can cut his text short afterwards without losing anything of value. His foreshadowing of something not being right is unnecessary as well. I went into this hack completely blind and knew that something bad had happened to Adrienne from the moment she wasn't on One Island. Mr. Briney doesn't need to voice any revelations for the players. I think the best way to shorten his Team Rocket reaction is to make him gravely silent for a moment (with ellipses!) and then say something like, "Team Rocket was active several years ago in Kanto and Johto. If they've returned, than Adrienne is in grave danger. We have to go, now!" That also instills a sense of urgency in the player and gets them more invested in the plot.
Hm... I personally didn't perceive Briney's texts as to blown-up or something. Granted, I might be a bit biased here. I guess we should wait for other users to tell us what they think about it.

I personally would've also renamed the islands to their actual names. So Knot Island, Floe Island, etc. I know that that's definitely a personal preference, but I feel as if that would've made the islands more memorable, given them more individuality, and would've sunk the player's mindset deeper into the world. The current naming convention sort of breaks the suspension of disbelief.
We might actually consider this, although I have to admit that before we started working on the hack, I wasn't even aware that these islands had other names than the ones we used. So if Briney said, for example, "Let's head to Floe Island next.", I would have been left wondering what island he's actually referring to. I don't know about the others, but I definitely associate their numbers with them a lot more than their real names.

You also need to vary the music choices quite a bit. I think that the first three islands all used the same town and route music, which was not fun to play through, and got old and annoying very quickly. I know that the Sevii Islands aren't particularly known for their musical variety (I believe they shared some themes between them in Fr/Lg, right?) but you really have to fix that. It was very jarring and very noticeable.
You're right, we just left the maps with their original tracks. As giradialkia said, he had plans to slightly 'remix' the existing music to give it a nice new touch, but due to the lack of time, we ended up just leaving the music as it is. I wouldn't have thought that it would become annoying so fast though. Assigning new tracks to the maps isn't that much of work, so you can probably count with more varied music in a future release.

The characters on top of the Trainer Tower were very well shrouded. I had no guesses at all at who would be up there until literally the textbox before the warp. I originally thought it would only be a certain male protagonist that we all know and love, and not the other two people that were with that person, which actually dampened the reveal's impact for me. I feel like it should've only been the one character, and not all three. (I'm being intentionally vague here, because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who's skimming through).

If it's so important that those three get to that one location in the epilogue, why does Oak stop to talk to Adrienne in the middle of the text? It just makes him seem overly absentminded and really weakens the player's perception of how big a threat they're actually dealing with. I'd cut that, and then have Briney describe (as he already does) that Oak didn't mean to snap at/ignore them, it's just that important things are going down and that he's sure Oak is happy that they're safe.
Well, I think that this trio fits well together, so it's sad to hear that all of them being there has weakened your impression of this moment. As for Oak stopping to talk, that was to emphasize that only then he realized that Aidan, Adrienne and Briney had returned.

Was I right in assuming that the only postgame was the Four Island visit? I explored a bit more and didn't find anything extra to do, but admittedly, I didn't look very hard. If there is more content, maybe you could use Four Island to give us a little hint on where to look. I also assumed, since everyone was talking about it, that Icefall Cave would be accessible eventually and that I would get Surf from either the camper directly south of it or from Lorelei, and that the Surf HM would open up a ton of extra little side areas to explore off of the main paths. I wasn't expecting any big events or anything, just maybe a trip through the Water Labyrinth with some Trainers to battle or something. A bunch of items to pick up by using Surf to go off the main path. Those sorts of little things. Again, I knew going in that time constraints would limit possible postgame, but this is an avenue I think would be worth going down if the team wants to stay together long enough to tie up these loose ends in the content.
As giradialkia has said, we didn't implement much post-game content yet, among other things because of the lack of time. However we were thinking of the same thing as you - giving the player HM Surf in after the main story to allow them to travel areas that were unaccessible before.

There's one further thing I have to get off my chest: I'm glad that you didn't run into any game-crashing bugs, because I did. By the looks of it, our game uses and outdated version of MrDollSteaks's patch that may cause the game to crash when certain moves are used. I'm already working on finding out how to fix this, I'll supply a patch as soon as I can.

Again, thank you for playing and reporting, I also hope you could enjoy the game at least a little bit. :)

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Replying to this was the worst and I am never multiquoting again. Ever. Also, this will probably spam your notifications, so sorry about that.
Hi! Thanks a bunch for playing, and thanks even more for your in-depth review, it's really appreciated! :)
First of all, thanks for playing our hack and giving us your (extensive) feedback!

Of course! I really enjoyed my playthrough. The whole experience was very refreshing, and the storyline was innovative. This is probably among the few hacks that I'd recommend to others. Like I said, great work guys!
One large update we're toying with is the ability to travel backwards through the Islands. Backtracking is one common feature of the Pokémon games, that was missing from ours. Given the nature of our story, it sort of makes sense, but it'd still probably suit to have some sort of back-travelling method.
Furthermore, there is little to no postgame at present; that's something we figured we'd add after the competition. Your guesses and suggestions on what we should add are precisely what we have in mind - we just haven't gotten around to it yet. The main story was, typically, our main concern. On with my response to your review!

I'm not sure if backtracking is really necessary during the main storyline, in fact, in may ruin the sense of urgency that the plot has when the player discovers Team Rocket involvement. "Adrienne's in mortal danger, but I want to head back to One Island for a few hours." Unless the backtracking involves maybe thwarting Rockets that are simultaneously messing around elsewhere. That might be a good idea to bring more of their plot to light without forcing it directly on the player. Like little sidequests. It might also help shore up the level curve, and gives the player a moral choice. Do I immediately go and save Adrienne and possibly miss what a group of Rockets are doing on Three Island? Or do I head off and take care of them while Adrienne is in danger? I feel like having some missable side content like this would be perfect for a game of this length that is easy to restart and enjoy again. It'd do wonders for replayability. Perhaps, since we see that the PokeGear sort of works on the island, that the player could have one as well and gives out his number to the main inhabitants of the islands just in case they see Adrienne while he's on his wild Swanna-chase. Then, they could call the player and ask for his help to initiate the sidequests. Maybe, if the player decides to skip the side events, then when the islands do open up in the postgame some people will instead talk about how the Rockets terrorized the town and no one was there to stop them. This would tell the player, "Oh, maybe I better replay this and see what that was about." It wouldn't be anything too fancy, just a checkflag for some NPCs with an alternate text if the player didn't show up to save the day, and the sidequest events themselves could be similar to the bikers taking over Three Island. Celio could call about a hold up at the Ember Spa or something. Just an idea!

...or you could just enable backtracking until the Rocket plot is revealed. That'd probably be easier :P.
Yes, the level curve is a factor that's very difficult to manage. Originally, the final battle of the game was level 50 rather than 43, and I have to laugh at how naive I was to think it'd work. On the whole, we tried to scale the Wild Pokémon's levels so that they'd never reach those of the Trainers in any given route. That's reasonably true of all the Pokémon games. The starter is given at level 35 for the sake of people being able to teach them the Ultimate Moves; admittedly basing the idea slightly on the Pokémon ORAS demo. Long story short, this isn't the hardest thing to change, and depending on how others perceive it, we'll update and (hopefully) improve the challenge the hack provides.
Yeah I was a bit afraid that we would require the players to grind in order to be able to compete with the Trainers, although I have to admit that we intentionally made the game a bit challenging. Especially in the Trainer Tower, we wanted to make the players consider their moves more thoroughly than in any regular battle. When I played it through, I also grinded a bit and used all the Rare Candies that I had found, resulting in having a team of three Pokemon at levels 38, 39 and 40 which was just high enough for me to make it through the Tower. I do realize that the Trainers are pretty strong, even if we already lowered their levels quite a lot, so we'll most likely have to change them again.

The scaling of the wild Pokemon in relation to the Trainers in the same area seemed fine. It was the fact that there weren't enough mandatory battles to adequately prepare the player for the Trainer Tower. Unfortunately, I don't think that just adding more Trainers is a good idea, as the routes themselves aren't really big enough for that. Granted, I always test with a team of five or six to get a good sense of the level curve, so Navenatox, I can see how our experiences were different. I've outlined my thoughts on the standard GameFreak level curve in another post, but if I were fielding a team of three or four, I should've been right under (within one or two levels) the competition. An evenly leveled team of six should probably be five or six levels under. I was more than ten through some of the hack (not counting my given Empoleon). You guys have Trainer Tower Trainers with competitive movesets and a good AI setting, which would inflate their "effective levels", I guess I would call it. The sailor in the fifth floor with the Dewgong and Swampert was especially painful for me in particular. Aqua Tail would OHKO or 2KO my Pokemon (even Empoleon), and I didn't even see Swampert until I wiped three times and decided to grind. The Frosslass after that was cruel too, because of how fast it was and its coverage. Again, I think the coverage was wonderful and added the right kind of difficulty, but combined with the level chasm it ended up being a more severe level spike. I would suggest lowering the levels in the tower by 1-3.

Another factor in the relative difficulty was the lack of TMs to use. My Pokemon would've been much better if I had the ability to customize their moves a little bit. Perhaps the Trainer Tower could have a TM Corner (that is hinted to by Adrienne so the player doesn't skip it) that sells some (limited) coverage and status moves. Instead, I was stuck with technician Fury Swipes/Feint Attack Persian, for example. I got Power Gem too late. I hate to suggest this, because I love Persian and hate Liepard, but perhaps Liepard would be a better replacement for Persian. It's more specialized, and I can see its niche being useful in the Trainer Tower. I would suggest other niche Pokemon be catchable around Six or Seven Island at already okay levels that would have gimmicks to creatively mess with the Trainer Tower Trainers. That way, even if the player is severely underleveled, they could choose to catch these guys instead of grinding and get creative to win. Another Pokemon that was basically dead weight was my poor Bronzor. He was replaced last minute with a Kirlia that I Rare Candied into Gardevoir.

Because not one of these level curve changes can be made in a vacuum, I would experiment with including more niche Pokemon and giving out a few TMs before lowering the levels in the Trainer Tower itself. Maybe some more customization is really all that's needed to fix it.
Actually I think you confuse something here. I agree that you should use [.] instead of ..., but that's what we did most of the time. Since you mentioned that you only saw like one right ellipsis, I assume that you mixed up the looks of the ellipsis and a triple-dot. The ellipsis uses smaller dots and has smaller gaps in between, while three dots in a row are larger and have bigger gaps.

As for the dash, I knew that the way we used isn't quite the very correct one, but since the game doesn't seem to have any dash other than the short hyphen, I thought that this way of using it wouldn't be such big of a deal. To be honest, I for one think that a single hyphen surrounded by spaces still looks better than a double-hyphen with no spaces at all, but if that's the correct usage, we maybe should consider changing it.
I even noticed myself, the nature of the dialogue just didn't really fit well in the game's text box. This'll take a bit more time (and time was a factor in its release), but again, it's something we can fix up.

Honestly, Navenatox, you may be right about the ellipses. I was pretty tired while playing, and may have confused the two. I do, however, distinctly remember two instances where the ellipses were definitely not formatted correctly. One was in the defeat text of a female Trainer somewhere, and the other was in a house on either Two or Three Island. I'm going to be replaying the hack again soon, and will have my notepad open to document things more thoroughly, like I normally do when critiquing. Don't bother looking for them, I'll find em!

The lack of the correct dash character was why I mentioned that sometimes GameFreak has made up its own conventions when the formatting required it. I feel like many of the dashes could be outright pruned by rewording the text without losing the tone and connotation of the dialogue, while the remaining will have to use a consistent style. I would suggest using a single dash with no spaces separating it from the words it's between if the double dash looks awkward or jars other players.

And, giradialkia, I didn't notice any instances where the way that the text was actually sitting in the textboxes was awkward, other than in Mr. Briney's text. That actually added to how awful it was to get through, because the line breaks were placed in such a way as to create unnatural pauses in his dialogue. When you go over the text, try to reword his text in particular to align his natural pauses with the line breaks, even if you do nothing else to his text. I think that would make what he's saying flow better. Hackers should really try to do that anytime they have to use the "\l" escape character. You'll notice that GameFreak tries to do this in vanilla as well. They've even reworded the original text from Red and Blue in some instances specifically for that.
I was in charge of the Trainers and NPCs - I'm glad you found some of them funny and/or memorable, and as for those who were a little misleading (I believe I know who you're talking about). I was going to scatter some Sevii Island lore throughout the islands, but again, time was a factor, so we devoted all of our attention to the main game's completion.
Admittedly, I think we didn't even take into consideration that texts like this could lead players to become curious and to want to find out more about it. But thinking of it now, maybe we really should add small details like this more to round off the stories that these people tell.

Before I say anything here, I literally giggled at the Tuber girl on--I think it was--Bond Bridge that started the battle by being exasperated at how wrong calling it an "inner tube" was, and just kept on ranting right into the defeat text. She was probably my favorite background character. The guy who caught his Pidgey in the same spot and had a pretty powerful Pidgeot was great too. Even little things like that really brought some of the Trainers to life. Also, I guessed that that first Fisherman was going to be the mandatory Magikarp guy the second he was onscreen. Naturally, I ran over to fight him and destroyed his blasphemous second-Pokemon-Goldeen.

But yeah, the NPCs that were misleading got me really excited. I was mentally invoking the "The Dev Team Thinks of Everything" Trope and was eager to get some more lore out of these hidden extras, but ended up disappointed. Again, I understand the time constraints and overlooking it, but should you guys should totally comb through the game and add those extra text strings that a few of the NPCs hint at. Since I booted up and realized the timeskip, I was actually expecting a newspaper to show up somewhere that had some Kanto news about how some major character or town was doing 5 years after Fr/Lg. Just to tease the player a bit on how Kanto has changed in that time. Though, I appreciated seeing Brock and Misty hanging out. Those sorts of minor character development of existing characters and places was perfectly executed.

On my replay, I'll talk to everyone again and note who and where NPCs are hinting at stuff and what I thought would be there so you guys can have those suggestions. For most hacks, I wouldn't be thinking about this, but all of the background characters have such personality that I thought that that liveliness would extend to this as well. Again though, I totally understand why it was overlooked.
We'll also have a look at how Briney speaks. Again, my writing tends to get suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper drawn-out (you should've seen Oak's initial speech in the lab. I actually lost interest, myself). It's tricky, because we're sticking with the golden rule - the protagonist must never speak! So we just wanted to completely clarify events as they transpired. Sometimes it's hard to know if you're being clear, or if you're just conscious of what's supposed to be happening, when it just might be a poor implication.
I'll need to re-read to be certain on his dialogue about Team Rocket, but remember, Briney is from Hoenn. He's an old friend of Oak's, but even Oak has never had much to do with Team Rocket's exploits, and so Briney would only have heard tales of "some team dressed in black".
Still, we'll review it and try to make his dialogue less drawn-out.
Hm... I personally didn't perceive Briney's texts as to blown-up or something. Granted, I might be a bit biased here. I guess we should wait for other users to tell us what they think about it.

This is where we will have directly opposite opinions Navenatox. Mr. Briney's text after every island was really long and much of it was unnecessary, in my opinion. Basically, you're going to have three kinds of players. You're going to have people like me, who will talk to everyone, read every sign, and check every rock for hidden items. You're going to have people who read text that is obviously main storyline plot, but speed through everything else without reading. And then, you're going to have the people who aren't going to read at all and zoom through your hack in 25 minutes. There's no pleasing the third kind of player because they don't read. But, Mr. Briney's text does a disservice to both the first and second kinds of players. Both kinds are paying attention to the plot points that are unfolding in front of them, and don't need Mr. Briney regurgitating those events back to them right after they've happened. I feel like much of Briney's text can be cut without losing any of the characterization and emotion you've imbued him with. What's left can be reworded or given to other characters before the player gets back to Briney (that way, it can be implied to be told to Briney in the "Player: [.] [.] [.]" fashion and he won't have to go over it). For example, the explanation of who Team Rocket are could easily be moved to the character that tells the player initially that Adrienne was seen with people dressed in black. This keeps the Briney text after that brief, and separates the exposition dumping into several segments instead of one big text dump.

As for making sure that the plot is clear, even without reading you're going to know by Three Island that you haven't found Plot Goal Girl for Professor Tree, and by Five Isle Meadow you're going to know that Evil Team has her. You don't need Sailor Man to reiterate those points. He can say that he's worried. He can say it's a big deal. But he doesn't have to tell me what just happened to my character. I was there Mr. Briney! Maybe you could even have Peeko spying on you to make sure you're okay so that the character doesn't even have to tell Briney what happens after every trip inland, he just knows. This would also feed into the concerned authority figure characterization you're going for quite nicely. Where was Peeko anyway? I missed her; she was mentioned but never appeared.

I did think him getting the turbo engine was cute though. That exchange was giggle-worthy.
The island names - I considered it, but as we're going for our own canon with the official games, we stuck with the numbers rather than the names. I know, they suck, but eh, I'll give the actual names some attention in the Sevii lore.
We might actually consider this, although I have to admit that before we started working on the hack, I wasn't even aware that these islands had other names than the ones we used. So if Briney said, for example, "Let's head to Floe Island next.", I would have been left wondering what island he's actually referring to. I don't know about the others, but I definitely associate their numbers with them a lot more than their real names.

Totally get why you don't want to mess with possible canon here. It would've been my preference. I mean, it just doesn't make sense to me. I bet the locals wouldn't even call their home island by its number. As for not knowing where Briney is taking you with the other names, maybe he could say, "Let's head to Floe Island next; that's the fourth one," or "that's the fourth island in the chain," or other variations like that.

Either way, Seven Island is begging to have a Destiny Knot giveaway on it. It's Knot Island and its sign mentions destiny.
As for music, I solemnly swear that I am making some remixes. Time was short; that's all. :)
You're right, we just left the maps with their original tracks. As giradialkia said, he had plans to slightly 'remix' the existing music to give it a nice new touch, but due to the lack of time, we ended up just leaving the music as it is. I wouldn't have thought that it would become annoying so fast though. Assigning new tracks to the maps isn't that much of work, so you can probably count with more varied music in a future release.

You don't even need to remix it. Just put something different on two of the three initial islands. I'd say that this was the worst part of the hack for me. It was just annoying and grated on my nerves, as I already don't like Viridian City's theme, and being stuck with two themes for a good third of the game sucked. The SS Anne theme would be good for one of the islands and would be my suggestion for a replacement.

But if you are doing remixes, having slightly different battle music between some of the island sets would be cool. Not whole new tracks, but small variations in the melodies. Maybe a few instrument differences. I've never composed or inserted a music track, so I have no idea how much work this would be or if it were feasible at all. Perhaps the big reveal at the end could pause the music and play the Hall of Fame remix of the first town's theme. Make it sort of eerily dramatic. I don't know.
Glad you weren't totally expecting the top of Trainer Tower - that's the aim. I am pretty sad to hear the reveal was dampened for you, but I guess that's life. As for Oak speaking to Adrienne despite the urgency of the situation, this is another instance where we were worried about clarity. The game obviously ends here (well, the main game ends, anyway), and so we were concerned people would just think "Wait, what the crap just happened?". We had Oak speak to Adrienne to sort of say "Okay, good to see you but I have no time" - we wanted the player to be aware that they wouldn't be accompanying Oak (and the others) to whatever the big issue is.
Well, I think that this trio fits well together, so it's sad to hear that all of them being there has weakened your impression of this moment. As for Oak stopping to talk, that was to emphasize that only then he realized that Aidan, Adrienne and Briney had returned.

I have nothing to say about the trio appearing instead of just the one character, because that was just a personal expectation and not a gameplay or text issue. Thinking about it again, it is very fitting, because the character I expected to be there needed a mouthpiece through which to ask what's up to Oak in the epilogue, and including that other character was the best way to do that.

As for pausing in the middle of that conversation, didn't Aidan, Adrienne, and Briney come back on the same ship as the other three? That's what I assumed. If they all arrived in separate groups, than I can see how Oak wouldn't've realized that they were there. Again, I'd make Oak desperately frantic about what's going on at that location, and offload the "we're happy you're safe" thing to Briney. The epilogue happened really quickly anyway. I don't know if you were trying to be intentionally vague with what was so dangerous in that location, but I would draw out the epilogue to be about as long as the intro. Just to bookend the experience. It ended so quickly that it was pretty jarring for me.
As giradialkia has said, we didn't implement much post-game content yet, among other things because of the lack of time. However we were thinking of the same thing as you - giving the player HM Surf in after the main story to allow them to travel areas that were unaccessible before.
Furthermore, there is little to no postgame at present; that's something we figured we'd add after the competition. Your guesses and suggestions on what we should add are precisely what we have in mind - we just haven't gotten around to it yet. The main story was, typically, our main concern.

Oh, totally get that the postgame had to be lacking because of the time constraints. But I'm glad to hear that I guessed correctly with the Surf extras and am looking forward to playing through it when it's released!
There's one further thing I have to get off my chest: I'm glad that you didn't run into any game-crashing bugs, because I did. By the looks of it, our game uses and outdated version of MrDollSteaks's patch that may cause the game to crash when certain moves are used. I'm already working on finding out how to fix this, I'll supply a patch as soon as I can.

That must've been hard to discover. Hopefully it all turns out all right. I heard that some of the animations in his ROMBase can sometimes cause crashing on hardware as well. I haven't tested this hack on hardware, but maybe I will for my second playthrough. Hadn't actually thought of doing that until now.
Pretty biggish spoiler here (for other people), so you honestly shouldn't read if you like to be surprised. Deokishisu, keep reading! :D
Spoiler:

Cool! Looking forward to it! I'll beta test once you're far enough along if you'd like. But, like, not the noobs who want an early look kind of beta tester. Like an actual beta tester. The kind that tries to break the game.
Again, thank you for playing and reporting, I also hope you could enjoy the game at least a little bit. :)
Thank you for playing, and for your review! I hope, on the whole, it was an enjoyable experience, and we will work on improving it for everyone. :)

No probs. If I enjoy a hack I feel that it's my obligation to report potential bugs/issues with it. Just as a sort of thank you to the hacker/hack team. So thank you!

Back