• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Hack Questions

Years
So I really cannot wait to make my own hack (if that ever happens) and I have so many ideas... but hacking takes time. And so does making money. I was thinking of getting another pc since this is just a ubuntu laptop. I think I will get a tower with windows 7 or xp. not sure yet. Unless I buy xp and just dual boot with ubuntu. I need windows though.
1. I wanted to know though, How long does it take to complete a full out pokemon hack? Months? A year? 2 years?
2. What am I getting myself into? Is it worth it? Is it difficult?
3. Should I be getting others to help me? Can this be a solo job or are most hacks created by more than one person?
4. Anything I need to invest in?
Hit me up with your input!
pokemon%20bulbasaur%20squirtle%20gameboy%20charmander%201920x1080%20wallpaper_www.wallpaperno.com_37.jpg

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
1. Depending on how complex you're making your hack it could take a long time, but patience and the mindset to actually work on the hack. Your determination will affect how long it will take.

2. Like I said, its worth it only if you have the mindset and determination to do it. It's quite difficult to do if you're new to Rom Hacking, but becomes easier the more you practice it. Its just time consuming and patience, but its all worth it in the end.

3. It would be a good idea to get others to help you work on it. Its a lot to do solo. Visit This Thread for Team Recruitment.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
As someone else who is new to rom hacking, I'd like to give a n00b answer. :0 If that's alright of course.

1. It depends on if you've gotten to learn how to do your parts fully before you start, pr if you learn along the way. XD I got mapping down immediatly, but had to work kn some existing scripts to see what I can do with scripting. Still can't do that much either. But really, like Nakasu said it depends on how hard you work on it. Like you can work on it a little each night, or big chunks on the weekends, it also depends on how long the story is.

2. It's really fun but does have those moments where you'll need to take a break, or look it up on Google to see if youmre doing a certain thing wrong. Yes, it can be worth it if you work hard and enjoy it. Yes, it can be pretty difficult at first.

3. What I've done so far, I tried a hack with a group and also solo. A group setting is nice so you know others will do their parts and you'll all finish up your parts and get the game done. Soloing is nice in that you get to make up the entire storyline, PCs, Pokemon, maps, scripts, whatever without really consulting anyone else(except when you talk to the players of course). I'd suggest practicing on your own a bit then asking for help in a hack.

4. only your soul If you mean money, I think all you'll really need to buy is a good computer/laptop. Most tools(all that I've seen so far) are free, so you should be fine.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
1. It really depends on how good you end up getting. I take forever making my main hack cause I always do side stuff or gett preocupied with real life. I've been able to get my Holiday hacks out within a month of starting, 2 weeks if I really work at it.
2. Hell yea its worth it.
3. Yes. I started out getting help from a renowned hacker when I first started, but eventually I started to do everything myself when he got busy. And now I kinda took over the whole thing on my own. But I wouldn't recomend that. I've regretted not recruiting help quite a bit.
4. You should invest mainly in mapping, scripting and story telling. Those 3 can make a great hack even without special ASM or "graphical beauty". Now dont get me wrong those are good things to have, but you do't NEED them.

Back