• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Character Customization

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In Pokémon X and Y, we've had a new feature introduced known as character customization.

Character customization allows us to dress our player any way we wish, and to personalize, there is a variety of clothes and accessories for us to choose from. There are shirts, jackets, hats, shoes, watches, and many, many more items for us to be using.

Anyhow, what are our thoughts on this particular feature--like or dislike? If we were to make any change to it, what would it be and why? Would we like to see this feature in some shape or way in any future main-series game?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Character customization was my favorite thing that X/Y introduced, and was something that I had hoped would happen with the coming of each new generation. Sure, the protagonist designs are (usually) good and all, but sometimes I wanna wear something different.

The ability to customize your character's appearance makes the journey more fun and personal. It helps you to make the character who you want them to be. I was disappointed that they didn't have it in ORAS, but I hope that perhaps it will become a feature of every main series game from here on out.

Years
This was surely one of the more unique things about XY, as it was nice being able to play as a different character instead of the same one as the rest of the world. It is definitely a feature I would be up for returning to the later games, even if there isn't really much to give the male character.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
Years
I love character customization! I can make a character that looks like me and feel connected to the game. It made each character unique and different. I especially like they added in a skin tone for brown/African American persons. I didn't care much for the fashion though, as I'm not really interested into being fashionable in real life. I just picked one cute set and went with it for the whole game.

I would love to see this in future games. I wish it was in ORAS but since it was a remake I didn't really expect it, it would have been nice though.

Lucky#13

Lucky Member
Years
Character customization was great. I think there could have been more of a balance between the amount of options between male and female trainers.

Years
I really loved this feature, even if I didn't abuse it as much as I thought. The skin and hair colors are nice, to cater to so many different appearances of people in the one game. Experimenting with different outfits was the fun part though, and while I'm not sad it never made it into OR/AS (given Brendan and May's designs are iconic and it's a remake anyway) it will probably return in future non-remake games.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Character customization was something I was hoping to see in Pokémon games for a decently long time, and finally seeing it happen was sort of like a dream come true; I loved it, and I'm sure so have many others!

Our players are our own, and being able to personalize them freely gives us much better of feeling in that aspect, if you know what I mean. Static characters--May, Brendan, Ethan, and Lyra, for example--are all right, as we could stick onto them thanks to anime and manga, but I don't believe there is much out there that is able to live up to the fun of customizing and whatnot.

There are a lot of clothes and accessories to choose from, but I feel it would have been nice if there were more. Perhaps they could have made additional ones available by downloading from eShop, which would be saved right onto our memory card, if there aren't much space left in the cartridge.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Character customization was one of the best features I liked in x and y and whenever. New features its a 100% thing people will use and I am sure most of us liked it

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
As many others have said, this was probably one of the best things (if not the best) that was introduced in X/Y.

I don't know, it just feels as if the world of Pokémon is expanding greatly with each generation, and the bigger it gets, the less uniform it should be. For example, the Player Search System brings together players from all over the world and shows their trainers' faces on your bottom screen. It would be kinda awkward to see the same two faces over and over again, and it would be even weirder to engage in battle with random players who all have the same two designs.

Either that, or I'm just biased for having a trainer who wears green clothes.

Years
Character Customization was probably one of the best features in the entire history of the core Pokémon games. There are several reasons as to why is that, such as: the feeling of being connected to the game as mentioned, application of the player's own sense of fashion, and on top of that, we didn't have to wear the same clothes (that were probably smelly as time passed by) all the time. [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jan 17, 2015
I like the feature, am a little confused why Ruby and Sapphire remakes removed it, rather then expanded on it.

A few gripes I have with it though aside from that note:
Are hats like a body part? Are they surgically attached? Can they not come off?
Facial hair where? The trainer PR video thingy, made my character actually like pretty good with the goatee, but you can't keep the facial hair aside from in the PR video. In previous games you were setting off cause its your 10th birthday or what ever, but in X/Y you were kinda just setting off cause lack of things better to do, why can't the character be old enough to have facial hair, or even just that manly of a 10 year old?
On that note, why no bald hair cut?
Female characters kinda got favored.

Bald with goatee and in a tux, I could definitely go for that.

That said i'm still happy enough to able to at least put on a green shirt and beanie vs a ballcap (though again why must I wear a hat?), so I can at least have some semblance of personal flavor added.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Would have loved it even more if the guys could get a few more things. Like how about we remove fedoras and add in more punky kind of stuff, or preppy, or whatever. Like, flannels, button ups, and t-shirts are not the only things we wear. And blue, red, brown, green, and black aren't the only colors on the rainbow. Last I checked a lot of guys like a lot of pink, like me. To pink items is not enough. >:c

BUT, the customization is precious. I wish we had cooler hair options for everyone, rather than just ponytails, long, short, medium, or perms.

Like who at a young age would even get a perm? Is that still a thing in France/Japan?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I was very skeptical about character customization since its reveal, because I feared players would to try to dress their underaged characters, especially the female trainer, in skimpy outfits. That, sadly, became a reality when the female trainer was able to wear midriffs and short skirts, and I've seen some people on other parts of the internet showing off these revealing outfits. At least the male trainer dodged the bullet by having less outfits.

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2016
characterc customization was the best feature in x and y I wish afro was a hair style so I could have a afro like mirror b I allso hate fact you were force to were a hat in x and y

Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2016
Probably my favourite new feature in the games, but I wish the guys had more selections.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Yes, I honestly loved this feature on X&Y, and I was reaaaally disappointed that they didn't do this for ORAS as well. They didn't have to do much, just maybe.. have some tropical clothing or something. ;__;

But yeah, the feature was fantastic and I had a heck of a time trying to dress up my character while doing her hair at the same time. What they need though, is maybe some downloadable clothing, or maybe a chance for us to design some clothes to share with others, like at Animal Crossing where people can create their own clothes and all we had to do was download the code, but yeah, I'd say that'd be pretty awesome!

Our players are our own, and being able to personalize them freely gives us much better of feeling in that aspect, if you know what I mean. Static characters--May, Brendan, Ethan, and Lyra, for example--are all right, as we could stick onto them thanks to anime and manga, but I don't believe there is much out there that is able to live up to the fun of customizing and whatnot.

That's my thoughts too, in a nutshell~! I do hope that they'll consider this feature again in the future pokemon games. </3

Back