• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arinceo

Eat, Sleep, Pokemon
Years
The Pokemon not required to receive the shiny charm are Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo Meloetta and Genesect.

Okay so this is geared to the hardcore breeders that actually write down the stats of the pokemon they breed. I already asked this before, about how I know the Destiny Knot guarantees passing down 5 IVs and I was curious if that meant whether AT LEAST 5 IVs would be passed down and perhaps the game would happen to sometimes pass down the 6th IV randomly independent of the Destiny Knot (the same principle as getting a baby or legendary in the wild in Kalos: 3 IVs will ALWAYS be perfect, but sometimes you can get more) and got the definitive reply that when using the Destiny knot ONLY 5 IVs are passed down. I ask this because I ended up breeding a Smeargle with 6 Ivs. Well that's all well and good and I moved onto breeding a second Smeargle (I'm breeding 3 Smeargles, one to be a main battle pokemon, one to be a baton passer and a third to be my money generator as soon as I can get acces to Happy Hour, Pay Day and Odor Sleuth). Different parents this time (one was 31/x/31/31/31/31 and the other was 31/31/31/31/x/31) and after about 20 or so tries, I got a SECOND Smeargle with all perfect IVs

So I ask again, are we absolutely sure when breeding without a Destiny Knot ONLY 3 IVs are getting passed down and with a Destiny Knot ONLY 5 IVs are getting passed down, or are AT LEAST 3 and 5 IVs getting passed down, and it's possible for more IVs to get passed down by the game both independanlty and in addition to the guarantee 3 or 5 IVs that breeding without or with the Destiny knot entails? (Again, like the principle behind the baby or legendary Kalos pokemon all getting AT LEAST 3 perfect IVs, but is possible to get more)

Thisis why I was asking breeders specifically who write down their stats because they can check and see that "yes, out of 10 pokemon, this one got all 6 IVs from both parents, not just 5" or that "No, out of 473,942 eggs I have never ONCE seen all 6 IVs getting passed down from the parents"

I do have to say, I'm sad that both 6IV Smeargles were male now! :D

Oh, and if you want some 5 IV Technician or Own Tempo Smeargles, PM me cause I got a few extras I apparently will never, ever need now, lo! ;-)

Hey buddy, as I mentioned in the old Q&A thread, it is definitely only five IV's that get passed down. The sixth IV is randomly selected to be anywhere between 0 and 31, so you do have a chance of five perfect IV's being passed down from the parents and the sixth IV being randomly selected as 31, it is not passed down from the parents but generated by the game at random.

This nifty little site shows the probabilities of producing pokemon with a desired IV spread based on the IV's of its parents. It calculates that when breeding the two Smeargles you've described you have a 1/96 chance of producing a baby with six perfect IV's.

http://www.destinyknot.tk/

Last edited:

Brentane

Lucario Breeder
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 19, 2014
Breeding Lucario, is this good enough?

I'm trying to breed Pokemon for battling, and so I am new to this. First I want Lucario as lead of my team. I have been able to catch a "lvl 7 male Riolu" and it has 31 IV in attack, defence, and speed. I have a "lvl 6 female Riolu" that is 31 IV in attack, sp. defence, and speed.

Now I want a physical based male Lucario, but still make it the best it can be since it is my favourite Pokemon. Should I just raise the lvl 7 male Riolu? Or use the long method and try to evolve both Riolu and make them breed. Do I need to do that? Or do I need a lvl 1 Riolu to make it good, or is lvl 7 with IV's in att, def, and speed good enough? I'm new to this breeding.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 22, 2014
I'm trying to breed Pokemon for battling, and so I am new to this. First I want Lucario as lead of my team. I have been able to catch a "lvl 7 male Riolu" and it has 31 IV in attack, defence, and speed. I have a "lvl 6 female Riolu" that is 31 IV in attack, sp. defence, and speed.

Now I want a physical based male Lucario, but still make it the best it can be since it is my favourite Pokemon. Should I just raise the lvl 7 male Riolu? Or use the long method and try to evolve both Riolu and make them breed. Do I need to do that? Or do I need a lvl 1 Riolu to make it good, or is lvl 7 with IV's in att, def, and speed good enough? I'm new to this breeding.
The choice is entirely yours. The Riolu you have now and just fine to start breeding with if you so choose.

If the choice was mine, and since your starting pokemon have such good IV's, i'd just breed the two together until you have a 5IV Riolu. Are you taking Natures and Egg moves into account?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 8, 2014
How exactly does EV spread work?

So Im almost finished with gathering my newly bred 5iv pokemon and now I'm starting to think about EV training and a few questions rose in my head. How does EV spread work? I understand that defeating a pokemon will give a certain type and number of EV but how is that EV shared through the whole party or only on that pokemon that defeated it? So for example, I got a lvl 1 Eevee in my party and my Blastoise defeated a Torkoal; does the EV only go to Blastoise or is it shared through EXP share and also goes into my Eevee and other members of the party?

Brentane

Lucario Breeder
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 19, 2014
The choice is entirely yours. The Riolu you have now and just fine to start breeding with if you so choose.

If the choice was mine, and since your starting pokemon have such good IV's, i'd just breed the two together until you have a 5IV Riolu. Are you taking Natures and Egg moves into account?

Natures and Egg moves? I have no idea what these are used for, and I don't know what egg moves are.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
So Im almost finished with gathering my newly bred 5iv pokemon and now I'm starting to think about EV training and a few questions rose in my head. How does EV spread work? I understand that defeating a pokemon will give a certain type and number of EV but how is that EV shared through the whole party or only on that pokemon that defeated it? So for example, I got a lvl 1 Eevee in my party and my Blastoise defeated a Torkoal; does the EV only go to Blastoise or is it shared through EXP share and also goes into my Eevee and other members of the party?

The EVs will be given to all Pokemon that gain experience, and they will all get the same number of EVs from the battle regardless of how many Pokemon the EVs are given to.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Natures and Egg moves? I have no idea what these are used for, and I don't know what egg moves are.

Natures for the most part give a boost to 1 stat by 10% and lower another by 10%. There's 20 natures that give a boost to one and lower another and 5 natures that are neutral and give no boost to any stat nor do they lower any stat. Egg moves are moves taught to various Pokemon by having 1 parent knowing a move and breeding with certain compatible parents that don't know the mvoe but their offspring will.

for example, there's no evolution in the Pikachu line that can learn the move Wish, but if you bred a Pikachu with a Fennekin that knew wish, then the baby Pichu would be born knowing Wish. And after that, that Pikachu can then pass the move onto future generations.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jan 20, 2014
Can someone explain to me briefly about IVs and Natures? (I understand there is an article on Bulbapedia about IVs but a brief explanation would be easier for me)
I was told that to have a "perfect IV" Pokemon the values (Sp.Atk, Speed etc) have to all be 31... but wouldn't this be a bit pointless considering these values increase as the Pokemon levels? Or do all the values have to have equal numbers or add up to a certain number or something? -confused-

Also, what is the significance of Natures?

EDIT: Just read Howmander's explanation above about Natures, I understand that a bit better now. Which are the Neutral natures?

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Can someone explain to me briefly about IVs and Natures? (I understand there is an article on Bulbapedia about IVs but a brief explanation would be easier for me)
I was told that to have a "perfect IV" Pokemon the values (Sp.Atk, Speed etc) have to all be 31... but wouldn't this be a bit pointless considering these values increase as the Pokemon levels? Or do all the values have to have equal numbers or add up to a certain number or something? -confused-

Also, what is the significance of Natures?

EDIT: Just read Howmander's explanation above about Natures, I understand that a bit better now. Which are the Neutral natures?

Neutral Natures are Hardy, Docile, Serious, Bashful and Quirky

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
To add to Howmander's comments, the stat that is boosted is red and the stat that is lowered is blue on the status screen.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jan 20, 2014
Thanks guys :)

Also, I'm working on building a new team for battling. So far, I've chosen Magcargo, Aromatisse, (who according to the Judge in Kiloude, is "superior" lol) Roserade, Altaria and Vaporeon (pretty much purely because I like these particular Pokemon) but can't decide on the last Pokemon. Anybody got any suggestions for additions/replacements to my team?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016

Also, I'm working on building a new team for battling. So far, I've chosen Magcargo, Aromatisse, (who according to the Judge in Kiloude, is "superior" lol) Roserade, Altaria and Vaporeon (pretty much purely because I like these particular Pokemon) but can't decide on the last Pokemon. Anybody got any suggestions for additions/replacements to my team?

I see you don't have any Pokemon with a Mega Evolution on your team, so I'd suggest choosing one that has one. To help balance your team I would either go for a glass cannon like Manectric or Alakazam, or a Steel-type like Lucario or Scizor.

EDIT: I've just noticed you don't really have any physical Pokemon on your team, so Lucario and Scizor are probably the better options.

Last edited:

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
Years
Training for the Win

I've beaten the Elite Four already, and my storyline is over, I was wondering, what are the best places you've found for wild Pokemon experience gain?

I've found that battling a horde of Floatzel in Victory Road produces the best experience, and with an exp. share, super experience.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today

Magcargo is really bad in non-tiered Wifi battles aka Battle Spot, which is what I assume you're doing. And like Berlyda said, you need more physical Pokemon. So Talonflame and Blaziken are good options for that slot.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jan 20, 2014
Magcargo is really bad in non-tiered Wifi battles aka Battle Spot, which is what I assume you're doing. And like Berlyda said, you need more physical Pokemon. So Talonflame and Blaziken are good options for that slot.

Aw poor Magcargo, I really like that one ha.

I just accidentally went into some yellow flowers outside the Daycare and the screen went black with a white diamond shining in the middle and Zapdos appeared... and fled. :( I'm assuming this is one of the Legendary bird Pokemon you can catch after the Elite 4/Champion?
Is this a rare occurence?

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2014
This might seem like a silly question, but has EV's changed in any way in X and Y? I'm EV training and using the Super Training and yet I don't see the stat that I'm putting EV's into increasing at all. Why is that? I checked my Charmander's Sp. Atk, put 12 EV's into it and it didn't go up at all when I checked it again. Why?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I feel like there's a thread already like this...

But I've found that the best places for post Elite 4 leveling are the Battle Chateau and Restaurant Le Wow (rotation and triples). With the Exp boosting O-Power, Lucky Egg, and Exp.Share of course.

Years
I usually give the Pokemon that is the lowest level in my party the Lucky Egg and farm the Elite 4 with just my Delphox & Yveltal. So it allows me to power level 3 Pokemon at once (with a pokemon to fly in the party also).

I also use the Experience O-Power before the fights. Sometimes I do it casually and O-Power lvl 2 before every fight or you can get about 3 O-Power's off after defeating all 5.

The ONLY problem with this method.... ROLL CREDITS at the end and there is no way of exiting with an escape rope to just start over. You would have to feint :( .

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
This might seem like a silly question, but has EV's changed in any way in X and Y? I'm EV training and using the Super Training and yet I don't see the stat that I'm putting EV's into increasing at all. Why is that? I checked my Charmander's Sp. Atk, put 12 EV's into it and it didn't go up at all when I checked it again. Why?

Is it Lv.1? EVs determine stat gains upon levelling up, so you won't notice any difference on a Lv.1 Pokemon. Don't quote me on that though, I'm not 100% sure :P

I just accidentally went into some yellow flowers outside the Daycare and the screen went black with a white diamond shining in the middle and Zapdos appeared... and fled. :( I'm assuming this is one of the Legendary bird Pokemon you can catch after the Elite 4/Champion?
Is this a rare occurence?

Yeah, that was a legendary bird encounter. It's fairly rare, and annoyingly it will flee every time before you have a chance to do anything. But now that you've already seen it once, you can track its location on your Pokedex. Once you bump into it 12 times, it will appear in the Sea Spirit's Den, where you can battle it properly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back