• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Club Yu-Gi-Oh!

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017

Club
ku0nGU1.png

Preface
Spoiler:

Rules
Spoiler:

Members
Spoiler:

Last edited:

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
Years
Name: luo xiang
Favorite card: honest because I can have two now in my cyber dragons and artifacts lol

Topic: I started yugioh in college and played a huge veriety of decks. I think that all decks serve a purpose and that home brewed decks can also shine! I just play cassually. The competing scene in yugioh is too costly and I find that the way Konami manages its ban list is kinda scary. So I prefer making decks that are typically anti meta xD I also play mtg alooooot aswell LOL I have seen only the first series with yugi and joey

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Username: machomuu
Favorite Card: Hmm...I don't know that I have one. That said, I'm a big fan of the Gagaga archetype, and I enjoy cards that tell stories through several card artworks (ie the Gigobyte saga, Marauding Captain's Story, D.D. Warrior Lady, etc.).

Do you watch the anime, play the TCG, both, or neither?
Since I started college, thanks to a friend, I started playing the TCG again (though much more seriously than I used to, oh so many years ago). So I've once again started playing, and that's pretty much where I am right now.

As for the anime, I watched it growing up, so I've seen a good deal of the original (back when it first aired in the West, in fact) and most of what was aired on Miguzi of GX. Recently, I'd say back when I got back into the TCG, I started watching Zexal for laughs but ended up liking it quite a bit. It's now my favorite series for reasons explained here. I partially follow Arc-V since it seems to be getting interesting. Maybe. There are signs of it, at least.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Username: Peitharchia.
Favorite Card: There's many, with one of my top favorites being Blue-Eyes White Dragon.

Currently, for me, it's neither, unfortunately. However, I used to collect their cards a lot, and have wound up spending a lot of money under them (if I were to make an estimate, it would likely have to be around $500 in total, haha). I still have these trading cards somewhere down my basement. I've been considering to sell them on eBay, Amazon, and so forth, but sadly, I haven't had much of chance to get around to this as of yet.

As a dulist, I suppose I was all right. I have had enough knowledge and experience to pull off a few wins here and there, but there were definitely more room for extra advancements and whatnot. Sadly, I didn't actually have much people to go up against back then, so I couldn't practice much.

Anime--I'm a fan of original season. It used to air on Cartoon Network over at US, and always find myself figuring out ways not to miss whenever the show is on television; all around, it was excellent! It was sort of disappointing to see that they had to remove all original characters and whatnot in next season (missed them a lot), but GX itself, however, wasn't that bad, at least in my eyes.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
Years
I might as well join this one.

Username: Judge Mandolore Shepard
Favorite Card: Considering it took me years to get this card, I would have to go with Dark Magician Girl.

Do you watch the anime, play the TCG, both or neither?

Currently I do neither. I collected the cards up until this past February when I finally got a Dark Magician Girl card. I do still have my collection of cards. I have them in a card binder where I have them sorted by Monster, Spell, and Trap. I have them alphabetized as well.

As for the anime, I only watched the original and GX. As for my favorite characters, I am a fan of Mai Valentine in the original, and Alexis Rhodes in GX.

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Username: Satoshi "Yami" Ookami
Favorite Card: Destiny Board

Both but neither right now =D I only play with few guys that have YGO but not on pro level.
As for anime, I've been neglecting it a bit... =D I stopped after GX.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
^ Destiny Board is a really interesting card.

Anyways, thanks y'all for joining, and happy New Year! It sounds like a lot of people have been out of the Yugioh scene for awhile, so I encourage you all to pick it back up this year, whether it be watching the show, collecting the cards, playing budget decks, or going all out to make a meta deck and a run at the competitive scene. I know the latter costs a lot, and I'll be the first to admit I've sunk a lot of money into the game, but I've found it's one of the things I really enjoy, and even if you want to save money, some decks cost relatively little, or you can simply watch the show.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
Whoa, how the heck did I miss this?! I hope it's not too late to join...

Username: Revise Librarian
Favorite Card: Junk Synchron... though Blackwing - Blizzard the Far North and Double-Fin Shark are out there, too. And Quasar. Quasar is very important.

All of the above except for "neither." YGO is my life. I've literally seen every single episode of every series subbed (except for DM, which I saw the dub of). My personal favorite is Zexal, but I'd say 5D's is the best in terms of plot writing (while still having acceptable duels). ARC-V looks like it could easily surpass 5D's, but I won't make any assumptions until it's finished. (Gosh, just wait until it gets its own "Freedom Arc.")

As for the TCG/OCG, I've been playing for about four years, and I still play it today (not to mention I'm almost always up to date on the OCG/TCG news). I refuse to use meta archetypes like Shaddolls, Qliphorts, Necloths, and Burning Abyss, but I make my decks as competitive as possible while accepting that I'd auto lose to certain decks like Qliphorts. Right now, I'm running Blackwings, Junk Doppel (Synchrons for my OCG build), Sharks (OCG only), and Karakuris, as well as other various test decks. Despite my dislike for Mermails and Atlanteans, I had to pick up a Merlantean deck just to deal with the newer archetypes, though obviously it doesn't always work out. I'd be willing to duel anyone on YGOPro or DevPro, but preferably not Dueling Network unless they have absolutely no other options.

To be honest, I've never joined a club before and I'm not exactly sure how they work, but I just read the rules so hopefully everything will work out!
(Sorry if it's an unwritten norm to not revive seemingly dead clubs, but I couldn't resist simply because it was YGO.)

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Not too late to join at all! In fact, I was about to bump for the two-week rule, but don't need to now haha. And yeah, there's not much to clubs, just a place to discuss a common interest.

In regards to the anime, I haven't watched as much as you, but from what I've heard, 5D's was the most mature(?) or realistic plot wise which is why a lot of people liked it.

And I'm the same with the CG, I can't play meta, one, because it's overplayed, and two, I'm a poor college student haha. But it does come down to the whole fun vs winning debate, meta will certainly net you the wins (assuming you're good lol), but playing rogue and decks you love is what the game is all about. I've been playing mostly Racoons and Harpies, which aren't terrible, they just don't have the stuff to consistently win against meta. I'm looking forward to playing Spirit Beasts, not sure how that will fit in with the meta since I'm pretty sure most people are going to be playing Nekroz/cloths (and still like Qli, BA still).

And of course if it isn't convenient for people to play irl, Dueling Network and YGOpro are great online tools to play. I personally agree that DN is kinda weird, I honestly am lazy and like my effects to resolve by themselves haha. But yeah we could definitely do club dueling and tournaments or whatever, I haven't played YGOPro/Dev with specific people (only like the random strangers), but I do know it's possible, and there's things like tag duels that can be fun.

Meadow

Years
Not too late to join at all! In fact, I was about to bump for the two-week rule, but don't need to now haha. And yeah, there's not much to clubs, just a place to discuss a common interest.
Ahh, okay. Gotcha!

In regards to the anime, I haven't watched as much as you, but from what I've heard, 5D's was the most mature(?) or realistic plot wise which is why a lot of people liked it.
I guess that's true, but to be honest the maturity and realism is what made me dislike it at first. The reason it grew on me is probably because of the cast, character development, plot execution, and of course, the soundtrack (not in the dub, unfortunately). Also, the pacing is really good (except during the Freedom Arc, which has like GX-level pacing).

And I'm the same with the CG, I can't play meta, one, because it's overplayed, and two, I'm a poor college student haha. But it does come down to the whole fun vs winning debate, meta will certainly net you the wins (assuming you're good lol), but playing rogue and decks you love is what the game is all about. I've been playing mostly Racoons and Harpies, which aren't terrible, they just don't have the stuff to consistently win against meta. I'm looking forward to playing Spirit Beasts, not sure how that will fit in with the meta since I'm pretty sure most people are going to be playing Nekroz/cloths (and still like Qli, BA still).

And of course if it isn't convenient for people to play irl, Dueling Network and YGOpro are great online tools to play. I personally agree that DN is kinda weird, I honestly am lazy and like my effects to resolve by themselves haha. But yeah we could definitely do club dueling and tournaments or whatever, I haven't played YGOPro/Dev with specific people (only like the random strangers), but I do know it's possible, and there's things like tag duels that can be fun.
YES! I agree with you completely. xD Raccoons are pretty interesting; I didn't know that people actually played them until a while back. As for Spirit Beasts, I think they have wayyy better card design than Shaddolls, though Konami might have purposely designed SBs to be weaker since they aren't core set material (y'know... the $50 secret rares LOL).

I generally try to add my own spin to certain decks that no one would expect (so long as it doesn't trade consistency). For example, after weeks of testing, I decided to run Urgent Tuning at 3 in my Blackwing deck, which makes me feel like a total idiot. However, the new support from the recent Premium Pack made Blackwings a lot more consistent, and Urgent Tuning almost never clogs unless I open with all three. xD

Regarding DN: Yeah... I suck at math, and I really don't wanna be holding a calculator when I'm dueling online. xD
Same for me with YGOPro, but I also like testing decks against the AI (embarrassing mistakes tend to happen on my part, haha). I always wanted to try out a tag duel, but I'm more nervous about screwing over my partner rather than losing. I did, however, try out a one-man tag duel by opening four YGOPro windows on LAN mode, lol.

I'd absolutely love a club tournament, but at the very least I'm hoping that this thread would be a decent way to set up duels between members and whatnot.

Anyways, here's my (failed) attempt at starting a topic:
If you could unban only one card from the current banlist, which card will it be, and why? (Also, do you think that card would be healthy for the game?)

If I somehow managed to do that wrong, please just ignore me. xDDD

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Yeah I test a lot against the AI as well. That's how I've become accustomed to facing a lot of the more relevant decks (although there's no AI Burning Abyss deck). But yeah, if you (or anyone else for that matter) wanted to duel me on YGOPro I'd love to learn how to set up the matches because I remember having trouble with the rooms or whatever when I wanted to duel a friend.

And you're topic is fine, I think as far as rules and stuff go as long as you don't spam or flame or whatever mods (or myself as a club owner I guess) are pretty lenient.

If you could unban only one card from the current banlist, which card will it be, and why? (Also, do you think that card would be healthy for the game?)

I'm honestly still a little new to the competitive scene, so I'm going to assume a lot of the older cards (even the seemingly harmless ones) create insane loops or whatever, causing their bans. Like Sinister Serpent doesn't seem like too bad of a design to me (endless discard fodder is really the only thing that comes to mind), but I wasn't around back in the day to see what it could do haha.

So with that in mind, of the more contemporary stuff, I'm thinking unban Stratos. Heroes I know are getting a lot of TCG support soon so I think Stratos to even one could help out the deck a lot. I'm not sure where it stands now with the new support, but I don't think it's top tier stuff at first glance.

Years
Username: Quilva
Favorite Card: Ones that i make and script in ygopro Hard to chose but i would say "King of the Skull Servants", "Demise, King of Armageddon" and "Hieratic Dragon King of Atum", most Spirit and Ghostrick cards are a close follow up

I used to test against AI (especially in ygopro), but unless the AI was specifically programmed to destroy with the deck it's using, it usually plays like an idiot and doesn't help testing the deck :/

If you could unban one card, which card would it be?
Thousand Eyes Restrict to show people who think it's weak how wrong they are.

pkmin3033

Ooh, count me in! I'm actually re-watching The Abridged Series right now to get myself in the mood to watch everything...and buy the 3DS game. I keep meaning to get back into YGO, but I stopped watching after the first seasons of 5Ds ended, so I've missed...uh, a lot. After the collapse of the YGO forum I used to frequent, my interest kinda dwindled. That, plus 5Ds was awful after the first season. Anyways...

Username: Meloetta
Favourite card: Cyber Tutu! She's something of a signature card for me...I always ran one in my deck, regardless of synergy...or lack thereof. I still carry one in my wallet, actually...

Hmm...*checks banlist for the first time in about seven years*

Yata Garasu! It took me forever to get one of these cards; it's one of the few I still have tucked away in my tin, as well. I used to run a Lockdown deck when I played the DS games; I liked being a jerk and backing people into a corner. Yata is one of the most potentially infuriating lockdown cards there is, ahaha~

Of course it wouldn't be good for the metagame (which was in a pretty dark place when I stopped keeping tabs on it anyway) but...eh, this is all hypothetical. xD

Last edited:

Meadow

Years
Yeah I test a lot against the AI as well. That's how I've become accustomed to facing a lot of the more relevant decks (although there's no AI Burning Abyss deck). But yeah, if you (or anyone else for that matter) wanted to duel me on YGOPro I'd love to learn how to set up the matches because I remember having trouble with the rooms or whatever when I wanted to duel a friend.

And you're topic is fine, I think as far as rules and stuff go as long as you don't spam or flame or whatever mods (or myself as a club owner I guess) are pretty lenient.

I'm honestly still a little new to the competitive scene, so I'm going to assume a lot of the older cards (even the seemingly harmless ones) create insane loops or whatever, causing their bans. Like Sinister Serpent doesn't seem like too bad of a design to me (endless discard fodder is really the only thing that comes to mind), but I wasn't around back in the day to see what it could do haha.

So with that in mind, of the more contemporary stuff, I'm thinking unban Stratos. Heroes I know are getting a lot of TCG support soon so I think Stratos to even one could help out the deck a lot. I'm not sure where it stands now with the new support, but I don't think it's top tier stuff at first glance.

Ah, I think I had a bit of trouble with rooms in the past as well, but the latest version should be working properly.

Sinister Serpent is literally getting errata'd (in the OCG, anyway) to this:
Spoiler:

I'd be fine with Stratos so long as Konami doesn't hit ROTA again. >.<

Favorite Card: Ones that i make and script in ygopro

Whoa... no way! That's just amazing! You officially have my respect. ^^
And welcome to the club, haha.

I used to test against AI (especially in ygopro), but unless the AI was specifically programmed to destroy with the deck it's using, it usually plays like an idiot and doesn't help testing the deck :/

That's true, but it has gotten significantly better lately (still not a good opponent, but definitely better than nothing). I mainly use it to test consistency (opening hands, certain combos, etc.)

If you could unban one card, which card would it be?
Thousand Eyes Restrict to show people who think it's weak how wrong they are.

I... don't want to imagine the consequences of unbanning that thing. xD

Anyways...

Okay, I know I said only one card, but I'll list multiple candidates assuming that they won't be unbanned together.

Sangan
Honestly, I believe that adding extra consistency is a much better way to go than topdecking a card like Raigeki. Sangan is technically harmless... as in, if you're gonna do any harm to your opponent, it'll be with your other cards, not with Sangan itself. Well, okay, that argument can also be made with Pot of Greed, but Sangan is much slower, weaker and fairer.

Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
Come on now, if you take into consideration all of the recent powercreep, there are much worse threats out there. Sure, it has some easy removal, but there isn't much more to the card.

Pot of Greed... okay, no.
Pot of Avarice
I'll admit that I want Avarice back only because of personal biases. To be fair, it IS a pretty dead draw if you get it too early, and recycling monsters (save for Extra Deck monsters) can "unthin" your deck, but that's about it.

Fishborg Blaster
COMPLETE PERSONAL BIAS. VERY UNHEALTHY. However, I would legitimately be amused to see Fish OTK become a thing again.

EDIT:
Ooh, count me in! I'm actually re-watching The Abridged Series right now to get myself in the mood to watch everything...and buy the 3DS game. I keep meaning to get back into YGO, but I stopped watching after the first seasons of 5Ds ended, so I've missed...uh, a lot. After the collapse of the YGO forum I used to frequent, my interest kinda dwindled. That, plus 5Ds was awful after the first season. Anyways...

Username: Zeria
Favourite card: Cyber Tutu! She's something of a signature card for me...I always ran one in my deck, regardless of synergy...or lack thereof. I still carry one in my wallet, actually...

Hmm...*checks banlist for the first time in about seven years*

Yata Garasu! It took me forever to get one of these cards; it's one of the few I still have tucked away in my tin, as well. I used to run a Lockdown deck when I played the DS games; I liked being a jerk and backing people into a corner. Yata is one of the most potentially infuriating lockdown cards there is, ahaha~

Of course it wouldn't be good for the metagame (which was in a pretty dark place when I stopped keeping tabs on it anyway) but...eh, this is all hypothetical. xD

Whoops! I did not mean to leave you out, sorry. xD Anyways, welcome!

I understand how you feel about 5D's; the Freedom Arc [episodes 65-85] came as a shock to me as well (it had "GX Syndrome" written all over it). However, the writers started getting their act together around the Crash Town Arc. As for the WRGP, it wasn't as good as the Dark Signers Arc, but it was a HUGE improvement from the abomination that was the Freedom Arc. Despite that, it wasn't until the final arc (the Ark Cradle) when the show finally became as good as its former self. Whether or not you decide to continue is entirely up to you; I'm not gonna force you aha. xD It's a pretty darn long series, and I know full well how painful it can be to watch long shows.

About Yata Garasu, do you remember what kind of cards you used along with it? I'm incredibly curious to know what kind of setups it can work with, haha. It's fine if you don't remember, considering it's been years and all. xD

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Whoops! I did not mean to leave you out, sorry. xD Anyways, welcome!

I understand how you feel about 5D's; the Freedom Arc [episodes 65-85] came as a shock to me as well (it had "GX Syndrome" written all over it). However, the writers started getting their act together around the Crash Town Arc. As for the WRGP, it wasn't as good as the Dark Signers Arc, but it was a HUGE improvement from the abomination that was the Freedom Arc. Despite that, it wasn't until the final arc (the Ark Cradle) when the show finally became as good as its former self. Whether or not you decide to continue is entirely up to you; I'm not gonna force you aha. xD It's a pretty darn long series, and I know full well how painful it can be to watch long shows.

About Yata Garasu, do you remember what kind of cards you used along with it? I'm incredibly curious to know what kind of setups it can work with, haha. It's fine if you don't remember, considering it's been years and all. xD

Actually, my issue with 5Ds wasn't with the plot so much as it was the complete and utter destruction of Aki's character. She went from being a psychopath to being a hopelessly dependant cheerleader, and the ending scene with her and Yusei...ugh. I did stop watching 5Ds because it stopped interesting me, but the main (or one of the main) reason I didn't pick it up again afterwards was due to the fact that my favourite character was butchered by poor writing. Yu-Gi-Oh! has never had a strong female protagonist (at least, one that can actually stand by themselves and win consistently) despite first appearances - Mai, Asuka and Aki all started out well, but degenerated as the series progressed - and it really bothers me. Well, I've not seen much of Zexal or Arc-V, so I don't know if they've bucked the trend, but I don't have much hope for it.

I can't remember what I ran originally - I just threw whatever I liked into my deck and had a general theme - but on the DS games I ran a standard Horus Lockdown deck with a few twists...so, Horus the Black Flame Dragon Lv.8, Jinzo/Royal Decree (or was it Royal Command? I always mix those two up) and Drillroid as a combo. Stop spells, stop traps, clear the field of face-downs without any worry. Throw Yata into that and that's pretty much the end of it if you get set up. xD

Another combo/deck style I really loved before it became banned/restricted was an RFG/Necroface deck. Put Soul Absorption on the field, use Sealed Gold Coffin to remove Necroface from play...+5000 Life Points at least, unless you're lucky enough to remove another Necroface during the event. Then summon one of the Helios cards. Or summon the Necroface when you get it back. God, that was so much fun. xD

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Welcome everyone to the club!

Yeah the AIs are really stupid when playing decks I make, which makes your matchups kinda limited haha.

Out of interest, what forum would that be? I'm actually a member to one right now that's a bit dead.

And I'm actually a fan of Cyber Blader, although Cyber Tutu is probably easier to splash into random decks haha.

Ah, I think I had a bit of trouble with rooms in the past as well, but the latest version should be working properly.

Sinister Serpent is literally getting errata'd (in the OCG, anyway) to this:
Spoiler:

I'd be fine with Stratos so long as Konami doesn't hit ROTA again. >.<

Pot of Avarice
I'll admit that I want Avarice back only because of personal biases. To be fair, it IS a pretty dead draw if you get it too early, and recycling monsters (save for Extra Deck monsters) can "unthin" your deck, but that's about it.
Yeah I heard a lot of cards were getting errata'd over in the OCG, forgot Serpent was one of them.

And if Konami hit ROTA, all the more reason to bring Stratos back. Not sure what it's at in the OCG, but 3 in the TCG is pretty crazy imo.

Pot I don't really have an opinion on, but I hope it stays banned, because I traded away my Ultimate Rare 1st ed Avarice. :< haha

pkmin3033

Out of interest, what forum would that be? I'm actually a member to one right now that's a bit dead.

And I'm actually a fan of Cyber Blader, although Cyber Tutu is probably easier to splash into random decks haha.
Janime. The site is long gone, but it was very, VERY active until around 2011, when everyone migrated over to NeoArk Cradle...dunno if that site is still active; I haven't been on it for about a year now. Most of my friends kinda scattered once the forum died, and only one or two migrated over there. It's a longer, more convoluted tale than this, but I'll not go into the messy details. xD

I don't mind Cyber Blader or Cyber Prima either...Asuka had some very nice cards, actually. Not the most functional, but still lots of fun to use, which is the main thing to me :3

I actually really enjoyed GX up to the third season...the Crystal Beasts were a broken archetype, and things started to get very weird after that point. I never watched the fourth season, actually...well, I watched the Yugi vs. Jaden duel, but only to watch Jaden get demolished. But the dub was fantastically awful! Camula's voice still haunts me sometimes. xD

Meadow

Years

Actually, my issue with 5Ds wasn't with the plot so much as it was the complete and utter destruction of Aki's character. She went from being a psychopath to being a hopelessly dependant cheerleader, and the ending scene with her and Yusei...ugh. I did stop watching 5Ds because it stopped interesting me, but the main (or one of the main) reason I didn't pick it up again afterwards was due to the fact that my favourite character was butchered by poor writing. Yu-Gi-Oh! has never had a strong female protagonist (at least, one that can actually stand by themselves and win consistently) despite first appearances - Mai, Asuka and Aki all started out well, but degenerated as the series progressed - and it really bothers me. Well, I've not seen much of Zexal or Arc-V, so I don't know if they've bucked the trend, but I don't have much hope for it.

I can't remember what I ran originally - I just threw whatever I liked into my deck and had a general theme - but on the DS games I ran a standard Horus Lockdown deck with a few twists...so, Horus the Black Flame Dragon Lv.8, Jinzo/Royal Decree (or was it Royal Command? I always mix those two up) and Drillroid as a combo. Stop spells, stop traps, clear the field of face-downs without any worry. Throw Yata into that and that's pretty much the end of it if you get set up. xD

Another combo/deck style I really loved before it became banned/restricted was an RFG/Necroface deck. Put Soul Absorption on the field, use Sealed Gold Coffin to remove Necroface from play...+5000 Life Points at least, unless you're lucky enough to remove another Necroface during the event. Then summon one of the Helios cards. Or summon the Necroface when you get it back. God, that was so much fun. xD

Ah, I see. Even though it (technically, maybe?) made sense for her to stop being a psychopath, I'll definitely agree with you that writers went absolute overkill on her. In Zexal, Kotori is absolutely useless, but Rio (Ryoga's sister) is a really awesome character, though she isn't introduced until Zexal II (around episode 78). She's a really strong duelist (in Zexal standards), mostly because her brother is the "rival character" of the show. Unfortunately, even she gets shafted for 20 or so episodes, but unlike Aki, Rio manages to unshaft herself by episode 124, after "the big reveal" (can't spoil it xD). However, by that point in the series, things are getting REALLY crazy, and the surviving characters have to endure some pretty tragic things.

In ARC-V, they finally broke the trend of shafting female characters. Yuzu, at first, seems like a super-spunky version of Kotori, but she actually duels and ends up getting her own rival named Masumi. Masumi is an incredibly strong duelist (she literally runs a Gem-Knight deck O.o) and I think you might like her personality, but she does start off bland during the first three or so episodes that she was introduced in.

Now if you're looking for a good psychopathic character, I have excellent news for you. In Zexal II, we are introduced to a plot-breaking character by the name of "Vector." (I strongly advise that you DON'T look him up if you plan on eventually watching the show.) He's just plain twisted in the head, yet incredibly brilliant, and he was even introduced under a different identity (I won't go too far on spoiling that). Heck, even the most passionate haters of the Zexal series regard Vector as the undisputed best psychopath in all of YGO, and one of the best villains to ever grace the planet. My sister calls him the "Junko" of Zexal, which to my knowledge is a Danganronpa reference.

Also, that second deck you listed is very creative! It almost sounds like the same kind of mindset that I would have when creating a fun deck based around a gimmick.

Janime. The site is long gone, but it was very, VERY active until around 2011, when everyone migrated over to NeoArk Cradle...dunno if that site is still active; I haven't been on it for about a year now. Most of my friends kinda scattered once the forum died, and only one or two migrated over there. It's a longer, more convoluted tale than this, but I'll not go into the messy details. xD

I actually really enjoyed GX up to the third season...the Crystal Beasts were a broken archetype, and things started to get very weird after that point. I never watched the fourth season, actually...well, I watched the Yugi vs. Jaden duel, but only to watch Jaden get demolished. But the dub was fantastically awful! Camula's voice still haunts me sometimes. xD

Neo Ark Cradle is definitely still alive and well (I've done my fair share of lurking on there xD).

Really? That's surprising. xD Most people actually liked the Dark World arc more than the rest of GX, mainly because "good episodes" were an exception in all of the other seasons/arcs. (But when they were good, they were REALLY good.) I used to like the dub until I found out how much they derailed Shou, my favorite character (though I admit that "Syrus" is a decent dub name).

And if Konami hit ROTA, all the more reason to bring Stratos back. Not sure what it's at in the OCG, but 3 in the TCG is pretty crazy imo.

Pot I don't really have an opinion on, but I hope it stays banned, because I traded away my Ultimate Rare 1st ed Avarice. :< haha

It's limited to 1 in the OCG. {D:} Despite being pretty crazy at 3, some weaker decks DESPERATELY need it, like Synchrons. I guess Emergency Call would be a potential target if Stratos ever came back, lol.

Also, can I suggest a card for the next "Card of the Day"? (Unless you want to keep it random, of course.)
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Yeah I can do a writeup of that, just learned about it the other day too, so I'm semi familiar with it. I've been trying to think of something else to do for random cards, because it's getting kinda boring (as you can tell from what I've reviewed so far; I stopped for a couple days after generating Bunilla haha). But yeah I was thinking maybe newer cards, stuff that hasn't been released.

@Meloetta: I actually started watching GX a little while ago. Only got through a couple episodes, but it was pretty interesting. Wanted to watch the Waking the Dragons arc of the first series though because I just found out it existed haha.

pkmin3033

Ah, I see. Even though it (technically, maybe?) made sense for her to stop being a psychopath, I'll definitely agree with you that writers went absolute overkill on her. In Zexal, Kotori is absolutely useless, but Rio (Ryoga's sister) is a really awesome character, though she isn't introduced until Zexal II (around episode 78). She's a really strong duelist (in Zexal standards), mostly because her brother is the "rival character" of the show. Unfortunately, even she gets shafted for 20 or so episodes, but unlike Aki, Rio manages to unshaft herself by episode 124, after "the big reveal" (can't spoil it xD). However, by that point in the series, things are getting REALLY crazy, and the surviving characters have to endure some pretty tragic things.

In ARC-V, they finally broke the trend of shafting female characters. Yuzu, at first, seems like a super-spunky version of Kotori, but she actually duels and ends up getting her own rival named Masumi. Masumi is an incredibly strong duelist (she literally runs a Gem-Knight deck O.o) and I think you might like her personality, but she does start off bland during the first three or so episodes that she was introduced in.

Now if you're looking for a good psychopathic character, I have excellent news for you. In Zexal II, we are introduced to a plot-breaking character by the name of "Vector." (I strongly advise that you DON'T look him up if you plan on eventually watching the show.) He's just plain twisted in the head, yet incredibly brilliant, and he was even introduced under a different identity (I won't go too far on spoiling that). Heck, even the most passionate haters of the Zexal series regard Vector as the undisputed best psychopath in all of YGO, and one of the best villains to ever grace the planet. My sister calls him the "Junko" of Zexal, which to my knowledge is a Danganronpa reference.

Also, that second deck you listed is very creative! It almost sounds like the same kind of mindset that I would have when creating a fun deck based around a gimmick.
Oh, it made sense for her to stop being a psycho, but it didn't make sense for her to lose her independant, strong spirit and ability to duel with the best of them. I mean, she was a Signer! A main character by any definition! It was sad to see her character slowly being sapped away and then demolished entirely...much like Asuka. After she was brainwashed by Saiou, that was it for her really.

It's good to know there is a bit more variety in Zexal and Arc-V, though! I shall look forward to watching them...after I've watched everything that came before them, aha. I need to get back to the roots of the show before I jump into the newer stuff; it's all changed up I believe, at least in terminology, and I never really got the gist of synchro monsters, aha. I watched the first episode of Arc-V when it aired initially and I could barely follow it! The psychotic characters were always my favourites, though - Marik put on such a fantastic show in the Battle City Arc! With his crazy faces, blatant disregard of the rules by fusing himself with Ra, and systematic destruction of everyone who faced him. The Egyptian Gods and their theme music didn't hurt either. xD

Thanks! I might still have it stored on my copy of WC08, actually...I'll have to look. Burn decks were great too! Bad Reaction to Simochi was such a troll card...use Upstart Goblin, Rain of Mercy or, better yet, The Eye of Truth! Plus three Solar Flare Dragons and maybe a Stealth Bird if you've got Level Limit - Area B or Gravity Bind on the field, just for that extra bit of damage. Anything that involved stalling and sitting behind a nearly impenetrable combo, really. Of course, most of my decks, if not all of them, would be useless against the current metagame, but they sufficed back in 2008. xD

I never really liked the real-life metagame though, to be honest...everyone used the same cards. It was Six Samurai, then Dark-based decks, around then, and it was kinda dull; there wasn't much room for creativity, and it all came down to who drew what first.

Neo Ark Cradle is definitely still alive and well (I've done my fair share of lurking on there xD).

Really? That's surprising. xD Most people actually liked the Dark World arc more than the rest of GX, mainly because "good episodes" were an exception in all of the other seasons/arcs. (But when they were good, they were REALLY good.) I used to like the dub until I found out how much they derailed Shou, my favorite character (though I admit that "Syrus" is a decent dub name).
That's good to know...maybe I'll go back and check on things somewhen soon. I'd hope people would still remember me...I did make about 22,000 posts on Janime, after all; I practically lived there for about five years! xD

They were? I never really noticed...I think I just found the earlier duels more engaging; the cards were more interesting. Evil!Jaden never really did anything for me - and nor did the sudden massive influx of random new characters, each with their own mediocre deck themes - and Yubel was just plain confusing. They ramped things up a bit in terms of plot, but the excitement of the duels was gone. Shou's character development was pretty good throughout, though! Shame the same can't be said of his brother, who devolved into a total jerk, and not even a likeable one...

@Meloetta: I actually started watching GX a little while ago. Only got through a couple episodes, but it was pretty interesting. Wanted to watch the Waking the Dragons arc of the first series though because I just found out it existed haha.
I liked GX for its focus on fusion monsters, which had been previously next to useless...the Elemental Heroes were an odd bunch. The Neo-Spacians were pretty awful, but it felt very fresh and exciting coming off of the second series, in my opinion. Hope you enjoy it! :3
A lot of people frown on Waking the Dragons...personally, I quite liked it! It was no worse than the Virtual World Arc, and it was a lot better than the KC Cup! I kinda feel like it inspired 5Ds a bit as well...all those dragons running around. It's always dragons. xD

Back