• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
thats the thing i dont understand how too make a team ie only been playing for 2 months now but i will have a look threw the movesets

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
thats the thing i dont understand how too make a team ie only been playing for 2 months now but i will have a look threw the movesets
What exactly are you having trouble with? Building a successful team more often than not requires experience and a lot of experimenting with different options and trying to figure out what works best for you.

Years
pretty much on how too build a team that doesnt always get 1 hit koed or getting past ppl that use thing like substitute and baton pass cause thats what ive been facing alot on the nintendo wifi battle thing

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
This is a very basic and rough outline (and it's pretty outdated...), but it's worth looking over to begin to understand how to focus your teams towards the goal of winning. Pokemon seems like a very uncomplicated game but there are tons of levels of thinking and mechanics behind the 'mons that you need to know if you want to be a successful battler. This article is a solid insight for a beginner to read, though hopefully we'll have our own version of the article sometime in the future.

Years
ty for all the advice guess i got alot of research ahead of me

alright after a lil research this is what ive come up with

latias 252 sp att 252 spd 6 hp
leftovers
dracometeor
psyshock
surf
twave

yanmega 252 sp attack 252 spd 6hp
leftovers
bug buzz
airslash
shadow ball
ancient power

dragonite 252 attack 252 spd 6 hp
focus sash
dragon claw
earthquake
aqua tail
brick break

blissy 252 hp 252 sp def 6 def
leftovers
seismic toss
softboiled
twave
toxic

jellicent 252 def 252 sp def 6 hp
not sure on item
scald
will o wisp
taunt
recover

ferrothorn 252 def 252 sp def 6 hp
not sure on item
twave
iron head
toxic
spikes

any suggestions would be appreciated

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
ty for all the advice guess i got alot of research ahead of me

alright after a lil research this is what ive come up with

<snip>
I merged your thread with this one, because you require a team before making a thread. This thread is for questions including team building help. You may post a new thread now that you have one, though.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
Hey guys, back again.
I'm trying to build a new competitive team, but every time I try I miserably fail. So I'm just looking for a few small answers on certain aspects of how to get it right. I'm not confident with posting my entire team because: 1. It's still under a lot of trial and error construction. 2. It's a team that is specifically using pokemon that are often laughed at for competitive play. 3. Just not fully confident with showing it off yet.

Basically I'm trying to utilize Trick Room for this team, so keep that in mind. I'm not confident in calculating IV's so I will not be posting them. Here's the pokemon currently under construction;

Swalot
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Nature: Lax

Moves:
Giga Drain
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
Sludge Wave

Does this set up look at least decent?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hey guys, back again.
I'm trying to build a new competitive team, but every time I try I miserably fail. So I'm just looking for a few small answers on certain aspects of how to get it right. I'm not confident with posting my entire team because: 1. It's still under a lot of trial and error construction. 2. It's a team that is specifically using pokemon that are often laughed at for competitive play. 3. Just not fully confident with showing it off yet.

Basically I'm trying to utilize Trick Room for this team, so keep that in mind. I'm not confident in calculating IV's so I will not be posting them. Here's the pokemon currently under construction;

Swalot
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Nature: Lax

Moves:
Giga Drain
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
Sludge Wave

Does this set up look at least decent?
If you're using Swalot in Trick Room, it might not be a bad idea to use this set. Also, Lax is a terrible nature in competitive play:
-Sludge Wave
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake/Fire Punch
-Giga Drain/Shadow Ball
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 Atk/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
If you're using Swalot in Trick Room, it might not be a bad idea to use this set. Also, Lax is a terrible nature in competitive play:
-Sludge Wave
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake/Fire Punch
-Giga Drain/Shadow Ball
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 Atk/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

I know the nature is bad, but I kind of don't mind simply because, it's the nature of my shiny Swalot :/
If it's really that big of a deal then I guess I could breed another Swalot...

Years
Pokemon Online Questions

Hello there, I have a few questions about Pokemon Online. I've only just heard about not too long ago, and I went to download it but my computer said that this type of file may harm my computer. I am very wary about this about message, for obvious reasons of course. I was wondering should I ignore it, is Pokemon Online safe to use? I was also wondering just out of curiosity if it is possible to save battle videos on Pokemon Online.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I'm pretty sure all files like that will have that message. Don't worry, Pokemon Online will not harm your computer. It's hasn't done it to mine or anyone else's that I know.

Um, I don't really know. :x I've completely forgotten. x_x

Years
Oh and another question, do I put in server IPs to battle? Like what do I do to battle or is it all explained on it?

Anti

return of the king
Years
This belongs in the Simple Q&A sticky. I'll move it there now. In the future, please use that for questions that just require a simple answer and aren't intended for any kind of discussion. Thanks!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oh and another question, do I put in server IPs to battle? Like what do I do to battle or is it all explained on it?

You need to put in the server IP in order to access the server but after that there's nothing else you need to put in (or alternatively find it in the list). It doesn't really explain, so what you need to do is right click on someone's name and click "challenge", on the right you'll notice boxes you can check, and those are the clauses your battle goes by. On the left you can choose if it's singles, doubles or triples. Then once you've challenged the person, it's self explanitory. When you want to ladder (aka get a high ranking on the server you're on), click "find battle" and make sure you click rated, so all battles are rated, and that the opponent is the same tier as you. Hopefully you can figure out how to put a team together (pretty easy) and you can change tiers @ tiers menu, and in options you can choose to be idle, show your team, save battle logs, etc. :) Good luck using PO!

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
IV Range? What the heck is that?

Okay, So i don't know ANYTHING about how IV's work except for the nitty gritty basics.
So I was trying to understand how IV's work but it's all very confusing to me. I started using an IV calculator to try and teach me how to work with IV's and all seemed okay until I was asked a very confusing question.

What is the pokemon's IV range?

Well I have the IV's, is that what the IV range is? Well apparently not...
I'm being asked for a minimum and a maximum range and I have no idea what to do or how to calculate it out. Can anybody tell me what to do to figure this out?

I'm not sure if this was the right place to post this question, but I figure if anybody knew about this stuff, it would be the competitive section.

Dale

Captain Ressentiment
Years
Does anyone know a good moveset for Umbreon? It's used for basic battling and Battle Frontier/Battle Subway (so you know).

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
What would be a good moveset for a lead mienshao without HP ice??

Mienshao @Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

This is pretty much the standard lead set for Mienshao, although Hp Ice is preferred over Stone Edge if Gliscor gives you trouble.

Does anyone know a good moveset for Umbreon? It's used for basic battling and Battle Frontier/Battle Subway (so you know).

Well since you're not going to want a competitive moveset, anything would work really. You could go for uh, (depending if it's from 4th gen) Iron Tail / Curse / Payback / Return if it's from 5th Gen you could go Psychic / Dark Pulse / Shadow Ball / Toxic or something. Umbreon isn't exactly the easiest Pokemon to work with. :P

Okay, So i don't know ANYTHING about how IV's work except for the nitty gritty basics.
So I was trying to understand how IV's work but it's all very confusing to me. I started using an IV calculator to try and teach me how to work with IV's and all seemed okay until I was asked a very confusing question.

What is the pokemon's IV range?

Well I have the IV's, is that what the IV range is? Well apparently not...
I'm being asked for a minimum and a maximum range and I have no idea what to do or how to calculate it out. Can anybody tell me what to do to figure this out?

I'm not sure if this was the right place to post this question, but I figure if anybody knew about this stuff, it would be the competitive section.

When you calculate the Iv's using an Iv calculator, you won't get the exact results, instead you'll get a range like; [23 - 28] that means the Iv is anywhere in between 23 and 28. The higher your Pokemon's level the more accurate the ranges are.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
Umbreons best set in the battle frontier is one abusing Flash, Moonlight and Charm. I remember BeachBoy abusing this strat in gen 4. You basically make their accuracy terrible and then Charm them down and set up on them with your next Pokemon. Since the A.I is stupid they dont switch so you can set a sub up with your next mon on them whilst they struggle to break it and get +6 +6 behind said sub and then sweep with the utmost ease.

Havent played any BF in 5th gen but if there is any tower like places it should do you well.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Which EV spread is better suited for a SmashPass Gorebyss?:
1. 252 HP/32 SDef/224 Spe (Calm nature)
2. 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe (Timid nature)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back