• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

FireRed hack: POKEMON: Dark Rising

Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2015
What i'm supposed to do now?I have 7 badges and i guess i can't do anything anymore[or i have to start all over again and play the final version] :<

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2013
So since about the fire cave area (between 1st and 2nd badges iirc), I haven't been able to enter grass or cave areas. I slowly made my way through the cave via judicious use of save states.

I either hit a spot and freeze as if a random encounter is about to begin but then just get a game freeze and have to reload, or meet a ???????? level 0-level 16 that can only use struggle and only gives 1 exp.

With no random encounters, the last pokemon I came across (and caught) was my tynamo. Since then, I've only been able to progress because of my habitual grinding. I couldn't stick with my old standby of grinding random encounters, I switched over to Vs. Seeker grinding, which I also "cheat" somewhat by using a save state to reload again and again until the Vs. Seeker gives me all opponents on screen. Even then, it's been hell to level up and fight on a somewhat even foot with anything.

Part of this is to do with the wonky additions of moves to the game. Dragon Claw is supposed to deal 20 more than Dragonbreath and be a physical move instead of a special. But my Garchomp with a Jolly nature (-special attack +speed) deals very similar damage, despite having nearly double the attack that she has special attack (159 vs 84). I didn't notice it and just assumed a weak attack stat for some reason, but I know that Dragon Claw is for sure a special based move now, because the damage from it is hardly higher than Dragonbreath even after 3 sword dances (+6 attack stages). So basically, my physical based starter with -special attack stat is stupidly weak, since I replaced her slash with dragon claw, assuming that with the STAB and Dragon Tooth it would be a great upgrade. Instead, I have a weak trash starter that can't 1hit level 30s using an 80 power STAB and item upgraded ability at level 45.

Things are getting slightly better now that she has Earthquake, but it was possibly the most difficult gameplay experience I've had in a hack or game yet, which isn't a compliment. I've played Blaze Black/Volt White 2 in challenge mode, and I enjoyed it. This gameplay is annoying because I can't grind anywhere efficiently and I'm stuck with my 4 pokemon because of bugs and glitches, while my starter was pathetically weak for most of the game I've seen so far despite being one of the Psuedo-Legendaries.

As far as storyline goes, it's a bit cliche for my tastes, but original. The text is somewhat cringeworthy and the fact that my character "talks" back at people is something that I cannot say I enjoyed in any way, since I play me and certainly don't want my lines scripted. The absurdly strong opponents are annoying. If you wanted me to blackout, skip the battle scene and just have a cutscene. There's no point to making me have a pointless battle. If it were something like my starter throwing out a ton of abilities that do nothing and then getting knocked out, that would be one thing, but it's just a waste of time to have my start a battle and get knocked out instantly, followed by a lot of really terrible dialogue. Then there's a lot of random fights that are similar. I fight a bunch of level 30 pokemon and then all of a sudden here's a level 50 entei one-shotting everything I have. If he hadn't used 3 rounds of eruption on my flash-fire houndour (who I can't level because it's too difficult to keep that many pokemon leveled) while I healed my pokemon, I would've been stomped to the curb. Then there's the level 90 giovanni that I'm not sure is supposed to be available but on the other hand, who knows, maybe you just wanted to knock me out pointlessly again.

Overall, a lot of the nuances that make pokemon interesting to older crowds (knowing STABs and natures and IVs and EVs etc etc) are kind of pointless since I'm not even sure which abilities are special and physical. My best bet is to do the opposite of what would normally be strong (stacking physical abilities on a pokemon who has a high attack stat for example) and instead get pokemon with rounded stats and just go for type-counters without paying attention to their stats or natures, because nothing deals physical anyway, apparently. I shouldn't be that harsh, since my experience was just with the one move. But I spent a long time making the decision only to find I had made my starter incredibly weak, essentially wasting his incredibly high attack stat solely on "dig" which takes 2 rounds, only has 10 PP in a game that really stretches the distance between pokemon centers, and can't hit flying. >:|

I've used the search-thread tool to try and find some answers, but it hasn't provided me much aid. If anyone knows why my game is this buggy/how to fix the freezing, I'd appreciate any insights. Also, am I doing something wrong that I only have 2 badges with level 50 pokemon?

PokeGeisha

Breeder and CompetitiveTrainer
Years
That would be best (since it was ME who suggested it xD).
Anyways those screenies are very nice showing of tiles that do not have overshade player atribute.

DR2 will be a sequel to DR1, update is DR1.5 (too many versions if you ask me... xD)

Hello Buttefree, I use Ultra Ball.
Haha hi! I use stun spore!:D Speaking of which i should use butterfree in this game as a main pokemon.XD

Years
Reporting another thing which I remember that I also posted earlier before the release of Dark Rising. I used VS Seeker on dark thug grunts on Atlantic path and that happened.
alow20.jpg

By the way i am closed to finish the third badge in walk through. Hopefully I will do 4th badge today :badsmile:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Reporting another thing which I remember that I also posted earlier before the release of Dark Rising. I used VS Seeker on dark thug grunts on Atlantic path and that happened.
alow20.jpg

By the way i am closed to finish the third badge in walk through. Hopefully I will do 4th badge today :badsmile:
You don't like swimming on the grass? I think it's pretty revolutional xD

4thGenAce:D

I don't live by my name...
Years
So since about the fire cave area (between 1st and 2nd badges iirc), I haven't been able to enter grass or cave areas. I slowly made my way through the cave via judicious use of save states.

I either hit a spot and freeze as if a random encounter is about to begin but then just get a game freeze and have to reload, or meet a ???????? level 0-level 16 that can only use struggle and only gives 1 exp.

With no random encounters, the last pokemon I came across (and caught) was my tynamo. Since then, I've only been able to progress because of my habitual grinding. I couldn't stick with my old standby of grinding random encounters, I switched over to Vs. Seeker grinding, which I also "cheat" somewhat by using a save state to reload again and again until the Vs. Seeker gives me all opponents on screen. Even then, it's been hell to level up and fight on a somewhat even foot with anything.

Part of this is to do with the wonky additions of moves to the game. Dragon Claw is supposed to deal 20 more than Dragonbreath and be a physical move instead of a special. But my Garchomp with a Jolly nature (-special attack +speed) deals very similar damage, despite having nearly double the attack that she has special attack (159 vs 84). I didn't notice it and just assumed a weak attack stat for some reason, but I know that Dragon Claw is for sure a special based move now, because the damage from it is hardly higher than Dragonbreath even after 3 sword dances (+6 attack stages). So basically, my physical based starter with -special attack stat is stupidly weak, since I replaced her slash with dragon claw, assuming that with the STAB and Dragon Tooth it would be a great upgrade. Instead, I have a weak trash starter that can't 1hit level 30s using an 80 power STAB and item upgraded ability at level 45.

Things are getting slightly better now that she has Earthquake, but it was possibly the most difficult gameplay experience I've had in a hack or game yet, which isn't a compliment. I've played Blaze Black/Volt White 2 in challenge mode, and I enjoyed it. This gameplay is annoying because I can't grind anywhere efficiently and I'm stuck with my 4 pokemon because of bugs and glitches, while my starter was pathetically weak for most of the game I've seen so far despite being one of the Psuedo-Legendaries.

As far as storyline goes, it's a bit cliche for my tastes, but original. The text is somewhat cringeworthy and the fact that my character "talks" back at people is something that I cannot say I enjoyed in any way, since I play me and certainly don't want my lines scripted. The absurdly strong opponents are annoying. If you wanted me to blackout, skip the battle scene and just have a cutscene. There's no point to making me have a pointless battle. If it were something like my starter throwing out a ton of abilities that do nothing and then getting knocked out, that would be one thing, but it's just a waste of time to have my start a battle and get knocked out instantly, followed by a lot of really terrible dialogue. Then there's a lot of random fights that are similar. I fight a bunch of level 30 pokemon and then all of a sudden here's a level 50 entei one-shotting everything I have. If he hadn't used 3 rounds of eruption on my flash-fire houndour (who I can't level because it's too difficult to keep that many pokemon leveled) while I healed my pokemon, I would've been stomped to the curb. Then there's the level 90 giovanni that I'm not sure is supposed to be available but on the other hand, who knows, maybe you just wanted to knock me out pointlessly again.

Overall, a lot of the nuances that make pokemon interesting to older crowds (knowing STABs and natures and IVs and EVs etc etc) are kind of pointless since I'm not even sure which abilities are special and physical. My best bet is to do the opposite of what would normally be strong (stacking physical abilities on a pokemon who has a high attack stat for example) and instead get pokemon with rounded stats and just go for type-counters without paying attention to their stats or natures, because nothing deals physical anyway, apparently. I shouldn't be that harsh, since my experience was just with the one move. But I spent a long time making the decision only to find I had made my starter incredibly weak, essentially wasting his incredibly high attack stat solely on "dig" which takes 2 rounds, only has 10 PP in a game that really stretches the distance between pokemon centers, and can't hit flying. >:|

I've used the search-thread tool to try and find some answers, but it hasn't provided me much aid. If anyone knows why my game is this buggy/how to fix the freezing, I'd appreciate any insights. Also, am I doing something wrong that I only have 2 badges with level 50 pokemon?

That's the great part of the game.. Grinding.. How great you feel all the fulfillment seeing all your hard work pay off. Believe me, if you think you're having a hard time grinding.. I have my whole team at level 100.. All are completely EV trained (One member of my team is a Legendary, Kyorgre, who needs tons of EXP)..

I restarted the game thrice, playing each starter.. And for me, Gible IS the best starter in the game.. Okayy.. Leave STAB alone.. Go for more varieties of moves.. Garchomp learns tons of sweet moves.. He can learn Iron Head, Stone Edge, Swords Dance.. and other great moves through TM's..

And there is no 4th Gen split.. So it would be 3rd Gen split.. Yeah, all Dragon-type moves in 3rd gen games are special..

Scripted dialogues of a main character not nice for you? Geee. That's strange. You are not a fan of Final Fantasy, are you?

What Gyms have you beaten already?

The Giovanni battle is optional anyways.. so if you find it frustrating, leave him be. Easy.

Enemies too hard for you? Think harder strategically..

The difficulty is one of the best factors why Dark Rising almost made it through the nominations of HotY. IMO, it's great to keep you hooked into the game.. I don't like breezing through a whole game (especially official ones) with a little overpowered untrained (EV) starter.. too easy.

*sigh*

Haha hi! I use stun spore!:D Speaking of which i should use butterfree in this game as a main pokemon.XD

Please, don't.. You will surely regret that. Pseudo-Legendaries even have a hard time winning a important battles.

What i'm supposed to do now?I have 7 badges and i guess i can't do anything anymore[or i have to start all over again and play the final version] :<

Maybe you forgot one gym to challenge.. Perhaps.. Blitz's?

But, I do remember the same situation to me before.. I think that is a bug.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
whats after poseidon's cave? after catchng kyogre? im stucked :O

umm i went to Blitz's gym and tarea said its the final gym of the region but it turns out that ive only got 6 and blitz's gym is 7th, did i miss out on something? what is it?

Don't worry about that. Since I've had to change the badge order so Larvesta will listen to the player, things are abit mixed up. If you've defeated all 8 gym leaders in the hack, you've beat'em all despite the badges not showing it.

I think I may have done something horribly wrong :(

I got to the end of Chaos Path but I can't get into the forest because there are trees blocking the way that it won't let me use Cut on!

Did I miss a badge or something? Help!

Unrelatedly, I took an Escavalier as one of my main pokemon just for fun and HAVE NOT regretted that at all! Turns out it's actually really useful!

Like the above qoute, the badge order is mixed up but you're fine, don't worry. I've just added an update that removes the cut trees so you can now enter the forest. Download the updated rom now from the main post, go back into the Pokemon center nearby, and exit out of it. Once you exit out and walk back to the entrance of the forest, the trees will be removed.

That's the great part of the game.. Grinding.. How great you feel all the fulfillment seeing all your hard work pay off. Believe me, if you think you're having a hard time grinding.. I have my whole team at level 100.. All are completely EV trained (One member of my team is a Legendary, Kyorgre, who needs tons of EXP)..

I restarted the game thrice, playing each starter.. And for me, Gible IS the best starter in the game.. Okayy.. Leave STAB alone.. Go for more varieties of moves.. Garchomp learns tons of sweet moves.. He can learn Iron Head, Stone Edge, Swords Dance.. and other great moves through TM's..

And there is no 4th Gen split.. So it would be 3rd Gen split.. Yeah, all Dragon-type moves in 3rd gen games are special..

Scripted dialogues of a main character not nice for you? Geee. That's strange. You are not a fan of Final Fantasy, are you?

What Gyms have you beaten already?

The Giovanni battle is optional anyways.. so if you find it frustrating, leave him be. Easy.

Enemies too hard for you? Think harder strategically..

The difficulty is one of the best factors why Dark Rising almost made it through the nominations of HotY. IMO, it's great to keep you hooked into the game.. I don't like breezing through a whole game (especially official ones) with a little overpowered untrained (EV) starter.. too easy.

*sigh*

Please, don't.. You will surely regret that. Pseudo-Legendaries even have a hard time winning a important battles.

Maybe you forgot one gym to challenge.. Perhaps.. Blitz's?

But, I do remember the same situation to me before.. I think that is a bug.

Thanks for handling the thread for me 4thGenAce ^.^

But hey everyone. I've been working on DR2 & making average amount of progress. I'm still working on the sprites and Pokemon. Both are coming out really good and the hack will surely feel like a sequel & a new hack at the same time. You'll see similarities but also see newer things and improvements. Nightkymz has been working on the super updated hack and it's coming along very nice. I'll post an update of screenies sometime tomorrow or Friday. For now, an updated rom has been posted which fixes the movement positions in Atlantic city & removes the trees from Chaos Path. Also, like everyone else, I've seen Pokemon X & Pokemon Y and all I have to say is they look amazing. Personally, I think they rushed a new generation & should have made this announcement next year, but I'm not complaining lol. None of the 6th gen Pokemon will be in DR2, but they will appear in the last DR. I've already seen numerous ppl make sprites for the starters already!

PokeGeisha

Breeder and CompetitiveTrainer
Years
Actually xD ill regret nothing x) I've used plenty of Pokemon no one even gives a second look to in hacks as well. And like you said! More of a challenge! Any Pokemon can get the job done if you have the skills.

Oh yes I forgot to ask. I downloaded the evolution list but I don't think crogank is on there. Does he evolve like normal at 37?

Last edited:
Years
Yeah seems like I don't like those swimmers. Boy you can read my mind Ash493. Should be careful from now. By the way DrG. Are you planning to insert Nightkymz work into Dark rising 2 also or just into 1.5? Please clearify...

4thGenAce:D

I don't live by my name...
Years
Thanks for handling the thread for me 4thGenAce ^.^

But hey everyone. I've been working on DR2 & making average amount of progress. I'm still working on the sprites and Pokemon. Both are coming out really good and the hack will surely feel like a sequel & a new hack at the same time. You'll see similarities but also see newer things and improvements. Nightkymz has been working on the super updated hack and it's coming along very nice. I'll post an update of screenies sometime tomorrow or Friday. For now, an updated rom has been posted which fixes the movement positions in Atlantic city & removes the trees from Chaos Path. Also, like everyone else, I've seen Pokemon X & Pokemon Y and all I have to say is they look amazing. Personally, I think they rushed a new generation & should have made this announcement next year, but I'm not complaining lol. None of the 6th gen Pokemon will be in DR2, but they will appear in the last DR. I've already seen numerous ppl make sprites for the starters already!

Hey, no biggie. I love this game.. I made an account just for this in the first place anyways.

And *sigh*, another offcial game.. Another pain in the brain.
I'll stick with DR2. XD
Actually xD ill regret nothing x) I've used plenty of Pokemon no one even gives a second look to in hacks as well. And like you said! More of a challenge! Any Pokemon can get the job done if you have the skills.

Oh yes I forgot to ask. I downloaded the evolution list but I don't think crogank is on there. Does he evolve like normal at 37?

I hope so.. Let's see you run a hitting Butterfree.. Though your best choice is making it a staller.

Someone tell me where to find move tutor and are mushrooms require to relearn a move ?

The move tutor is located at Dark Rising HQ.. It's the place where Sydney and Dray take you to when you arrive at Millenium City. 2 Small Mushrooms or a Big Mushroom is needed.

Oh and hey, I hope I'm not that off-topic, I let my classmate play this game.. And he already lost more than 15 times.
HAHA. I pity that man.

Well... most of the hackers don't like talking MC... kinda kills the feeling of oficial games and the feel that you are player.

Well, everybody has their own opinion.. I don't mind anyway.. A great storyline is a great storyline; great storylines have great dialogues, whether the MC has it too or not..

Not having dialogues for MC's gives me the feeling that my MC is well, you know, too silent? I'm not a fan of talking to my phone or computer when I play games like these, they kinda make me look like.. well.. err..

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2013
Hey.
Now I found a bug that is stopping me to go foward. At the beginning of Dragon Valley, the second time that you found a stone to use the HM Strenght (There is 2 stones in this part, side by side), there is a trainer (a hiker) that calls me for a battle. His saying "A battle with you, so high up!". After that the game restarts :/ I can´t pass this part of the game. Anyone can help?
Thanks!

mikelan98

Bendiciones y buenas noches
Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2023
Very good game! I also liked that you have inserted several Pokémon of the 5th generation, this gives a more modern look to the game. We expect more progress on the hack!

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Hey.
Now I found a bug that is stopping me to go foward. At the beginning of Dragon Valley, the second time that you found a stone to use the HM Strenght (There is 2 stones in this part, side by side), there is a trainer (a hiker) that calls me for a battle. His saying "A battle with you, so high up!". After that the game restarts :/ I can´t pass this part of the game. Anyone can help?
Thanks!

That problem has been fixed in previous updates. Go to the main post and download the updated ips, patch it to a new clean fire red rom, and reload your save file. After that, leave the map that the hiker's in & enter a building or something. Once you do that, leave the building, go back to where the hiker was, and the problem should be fixed. The problem was, the hiker had a corrupted trainer sprite which I fixed a long time ago but I forgot to switch the trainer sprite for that specific hiker.

Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2013
That problem has been fixed in previous updates. Go to the main post and download the updated ips, patch it to a new clean fire red rom, and reload your save file. After that, leave the map that the hiker's in & enter a building or something. Once you do that, leave the building, go back to where the hiker was, and the problem should be fixed. The problem was, the hiker had a corrupted trainer sprite which I fixed a long time ago but I forgot to switch the trainer sprite for that specific hiker.

Thanks (: I´ll do that :)
I used walkthrough walls gameshark just to pass this Hiker, but I´ll download the update anyway :). Then I continue the game, found that giant trainer who has Reshiram and Zekrom. I defeat him, and he opens the way to Yin/Yang island. At the island, there´s 2 cores over a stone, one is black and the other is white. I deduce that these cores are Reshiram and Zekrom. But I can´t reach them, they are over a stone that I can´t climb on. How can I get these pokemons? How can I reach the cores to talk to them and enter in a battle with Reshiram/Zekrom ? Or these cores are something else? Thanks for the help (:

Back