• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What if we built a real Pokedex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2011
Something relatively similar is already in the works--look up augmented reality. We're likely a ways away from making it common but that's definitely what you're looking at doing. I just... don't really see the point. :( It'd be more interesting to make more of an AnimalDex or something--point the phone (or object, whatever) at an animal and it'll identify the species and give you more information. But the sheer amount of data that would be needed for recognition is ridiculous so right now I don't think it could be done.

Dunno whether to leave this here or toss it in Computers & Tech though. (There's already an augmented reality thread there so...)

THe animaldex would be cool.

Years
Lol. The AnimalDex would be nice. but I doubt people would be able to gain information on a lot of animals.
But on-topic. I think it wouldn't be necessary to have a real PokeDex while we can search up info on every Pokemon by using the computer.
I mean,where would you really bring a portable,real PokeDex to?

Azonic

hello friends
Years
I have a PokeDex, one of those toy ones that you can play games on. :V

If you're talking about a real PokeDex, well it wouldn't work because there would have to be Pokemon. And the way PokeDexes function don't really make sense. I mean, you have to complete the PokeDex so the professor has to get information on every Pokemon (implying that he doesnt know the information, which makes no sense because the information has to be inputted into the PokeDex somehow.)

Years
No, I mean one that goes off when a similar animal is nearby, like a pidgey when there is a pidgeon, or a snorlax when a fat guy walks past. People would buy them, and all you'd need is an inbuilt camera and a modified version of face recognition software

-yodeler on the top of the muntain, yodeling-

-goat walks by-

Yodeler's Pokedex:Arceus, the Mgical Goat Pokemon

Yodeler: OOO!

yeah dude, that wouldn't work.

it's already been done.

if you wnat one, go buy one, use bulbapedia or just the pokedex in any pokemon game.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
Well, for one, it's already been done. Several Pokedex products have been released since the franchise took off, some better than others in design and information.

Secondly, no profits could be made. It'd be illegal and you'd get sued for trying to sell it, and they wouldn't want to "share the profits" anyways because they could do it entirely themselves for a fraction of the cost.

But if you really want a real Pokedex, here's what you can do: get yourself an Internet-capable cellular phone and go to www.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net and there you go! A real, live Pokedex!

Yea, I already have one thats 5 years old o.o

Years
Well, for one, it's already been done. Several Pokedex products have been released since the franchise took off, some better than others in design and information.

Secondly, no profits could be made. It'd be illegal and you'd get sued for trying to sell it, and they wouldn't want to "share the profits" anyways because they could do it entirely themselves for a fraction of the cost.

But if you really want a real Pokedex, here's what you can do: get yourself an Internet-capable cellular phone and go to www.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net and there you go! A real, live Pokedex!

1: I'll bet $5 that they were one of those stupid handheld things with a 10x10 volume of sprites and a voice that raped your ears.

2: The link doesen't work.

3: Why not make something similar that would work on real animals? Point it at a Poodle,and a little voice says "Poodle: A domesiticated dog that is often associated with with the classic rich lifestyle. They're wiry fur is hard to tame, and as such many owners hire proffesional groomers."

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
1: I'll bet $5 that they were one of those stupid handheld things with a 10x10 volume of sprites and a voice that raped your ears.

2: The link doesen't work.

3: Why not make something similar that would work on real animals? Point it at a Poodle,and a little voice says "Poodle: A domesiticated dog that is often associated with with the classic rich lifestyle. They're wiry fur is hard to tame, and as such many owners hire proffesional groomers."
What's your point? Because you don't seem to be making one.

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2009
What's your point? Because you don't seem to be making one.
Actually he was making three.

All of which were pretty obvious and the main one is that the AnimalDex would be a good idea. It wouldn't be that hard to fit on a small device because flash memory is very small now.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Actually he was making three.

All of which were pretty obvious and the main one is that the AnimalDex would be a good idea. It wouldn't be that hard to fit on a small device because flash memory is very small now.
The first "point" was incorrect, the second was nitpicking, and the third is called an encyclopedia. Go to the bookstore sometime and read all about it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2009
Yeah, I point my encyclopedia at a dog and it tells me all about it. No, wait, it doesn't.
Why you gotta **** all over my idea?

Fishyman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • No.
  • Seen Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, I point my encyclopedia at a dog and it tells me all about it. No, wait, it doesn't.
Why you gotta **** all over my idea?
Because it's stupid, and you don't seem to realize that when someone can **** on your idea, it's probably a bad one.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
Years
Yay! So we're going to go around pointing a red talking box at obese people and pidgeons, right?

Sounds like my idea of fun.

You know you love Pidgeys :D
or at least . . . you better . . .

Anyways, yes, what would we scan?
/scans a mime

Yay, I got a Mr Mime in my DEX!

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
Why is this argument still going?

The idea was doomed from the start and then it just seemed like the TC was trolling until it got really serious and it just makes him look like an idiot.

I can bet that 9/10 people aren't gonna buy a pokedex, where are you gonna find a Charizard or a Groudon?

LegendMaster97

Commander of SuperRares!!!!
Years
You point it at your pbj and it says ditto:the transformation pokemon
you point it at a skin cell and it says deoxys: dna pokemon

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2013
it is posibal to make a pokedex and would make total sense to make one but like Steviestarsgard said but in stead of scaning birds and obes people you could scan cards,plushes,key chains ect so dont give up. ill stay with this project if someone desideds to make on i help you all the way

Years
I'm not sure about the idea of a pokedex but how about an animaldex? It would work like a pokedex but instead used to identify animals and would include info like their genus, scientific name, habitat, etc?

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2015
I think a Pokedex would be great. It could be WiFi compatible that could also store select Pokemon for continuous use. Like say You want to keep track of your Pokemon's progress, you could find the Pokemon online, download it to your dex and go back whenever you need it. And if you ever run into a wild Pokemon or a trainer's Pokemon, you could go ahead and look it up whenever you have a wifi port.

The Pokedex would give you available stats, move pools, etc. As well as allowing for the Trainer to imput their Pokemon's own unique stats and find out how best to train it. It would be given the best strategies used by Pokemon experts in our world (by which I mean that geeks that spend their entire lives playing Pokemon and going to real tournaments). It could recommend the best training way for different paths. What kind of personality your pokemon should have, etc.

You could also get a rank of how strong your team is, and you would get instant e-mails whenever new Pokemon were being discovered (i.e. when games were being made) and whenever tournaments and events were coming up.

A more personalized, on-the-go Bulbapedia that does everything you'd expect from an Encyclopedia about Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back