• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Gen 5 Overworlds or Gen 4 overworlds???

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 17, 2017
After a lot retrys Im finally able to create overworld characters but I'm still unsure If i should
make them like in gen 4 or in gen 5?
In B/W the characters are bigger so you can draw more detail into them
but even with this I still dont know which now actually looks better.
So yeah. Just want to ask for help ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 23, 2023
The overworld characters for Gens 4 and 5 are the same size, in terms of bitmap size: 32x32. Gen 5 style is more lanky while Gen 4 style is more bulky. I personally prefer Gen 4's style of character sprite over Gen 5's beanstalks. Though I prefer the 3D fun they did with Gen 5's overworld setup, while Gen 4's overworld is quite literally cardboard facades set at odd angles to the ground.

Now if only the bigger sprites of Gen 4 and 5 would actually fit into the world of Gen 3 without looking like they were all packed together like sardines... My characters need their personal space, and Gen 3's tile size combined with Gen 4/5's sprite size doesn't give it to them...

smocks

fiat lux
Years
I like Gen 4's design better but I like how Gen 5 makes their characters a but more 3D and lankier, if you somehow combine their sprites I think you have something xD (Gen 4's design on Gen 5's sprite)

Years
I love 4th gen sprites more because I think they are easier to do. Also you can do something like what smocks said something in the middle and for reference for that I would recommend playing Pokemon Ethereal Gates and getting inspired from their sprites.

Back