• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvocadoChris22

An fresh Avocado!
Years
Hi all of you.
I trying to figure it out of my first Uber Pokémon. It's Lugia in it's Shiny form.
It got a pretty ok Nature Timid for it so i decided to EV train both SPA and HP because it have Natural Def and SPdef. It carry Eveolite as it item just to increase it's defense and ti's ability it's Pressure.
Now it's move pool to pic it's any suggested movepool set from you guy can help me.

My idea of a movepool set
Ice Beam
Psyshock
Reflect
Recover

or

Aeroblast
Surf
Substitue
Recover

Any more suggestions from the community of moveset that not from Smogon. Just want something more Creative Idea and trying it out on Pokemonshowdown.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hi all of you.
I trying to figure it out of my first Uber Pokémon. It's Lugia in it's Shiny form.
It got a pretty ok Nature Timid for it so i decided to EV train both SPA and HP because it have Natural Def and SPdef. It carry Eveolite as it item just to increase it's defense and ti's ability it's Pressure.
Now it's move pool to pic it's any suggested movepool set from you guy can help me.

My idea of a movepool set
Ice Beam
Psyshock
Reflect
Recover

or

Aeroblast
Surf
Substitue
Recover

Any more suggestions from the community of moveset that not from Smogon. Just want something more Creative Idea and trying it out on Pokemonshowdown.
I'm afraid that Lugia is just too weak to pull off an offensive set by Uber standards, though it can use Calm Mind to compensate:
-Calm Mind
-Ice Beam
-Thunder/Whirlwind
-Roost
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers

This set works best in teams that can stack together a bunch of hazards on the opponent's field (take note that it's not used in Smogon often):
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Whirlwind
-Dragon Tail
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/176 Def/80 SDef

AvocadoChris22

An fresh Avocado!
Years
I'm afraid that Lugia is just too weak to pull off an offensive set by Uber standards, though it can use Calm Mind to compensate:
-Calm Mind
-Ice Beam
-Thunder/Whirlwind
-Roost
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe

This set works best in teams that can stack together a bunch of hazards on the opponent's field (take note that it's not used in Smogon often):
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Whirlwind
-Dragon Tail
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/176 Def/80 SDef

Yeah thanks for mention that but i still got some idea that make maybe be more Threatening but need information in the Uber Tier that can be utility support. Still haven't build an Uber team yet.
Thanks for movepool suggestions.

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
Can a Vaporeon tank?

Reason why I ask is because in Wifi battle, I hit a Vaporeon with 2 Physical sweepers, 1 of them Super effective, and that Vaporeon survived both attacks with plenty of HP to spare. Not to mention it 1 hit KO both Pokemon suggesting that it has unusually high special attack for a tank build.

I also checked Vaporeon's stats. Even though it has high HP, it doesn't have the defense to back up that health. Anyone has any idea what happened?

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
Can a Vaporeon tank?

Reason why I ask is because in Wifi battle, I hit a Vaporeon with 2 Physical sweepers, 1 of them Super effective, and that Vaporeon survived both attacks with plenty of HP to spare. Not to mention it 1 hit KO both Pokemon suggesting that it has unusually high special attack for a tank build.

I also checked Vaporeon's stats. Even though it has high HP, it doesn't have the defense to back up that health. Anyone has any idea what happened?

It has high HP and it can utilize 'Hydration Tank' 'Hydration Wall' and 'Trick Room Tank'.
A Bold Vaporeon can reach 240 Def, with 31 IV/252 EV in Defense,
while a Calm Vaporeon can reach 317 Sp. Def, with 31 IV/252 EV in S. Defense.

My suspect is his EV spread were trained for Defense and Sp. Attack mainly or might be with a bit EV in HP as well.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Can a Vaporeon tank?

To add to what Fiery Dash said, Vaporeon has investment in its Defense alongside its HP to compensate for its low physical Defense, in a similar vein to Blissey in the past. This lets it take weak to moderately powered physical hits.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
I have a Hydreigon, Timid 31 IVs on S.A and Spe, naturally 252 on the aforementioned stats.
I'm having trouble to decide which moves to make him learn, I'm using him for Subway and PWT as Sp. Sweeper.
Held Item: usually Life Orb, CSpecs sometimes hate the move for getting locked.

Moveset:
Dark Pulse
Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Surf

*red moves indicate moves that are undecided.

What are his best partners for Subway/PWT (Single, normal battle)?

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years
I have a Hydreigon, Timid 31 IVs on S.A and Spe, naturally 252 on the aforementioned stats.
I'm having trouble to decide which moves to make him learn, I'm using him for Subway and PWT as Sp. Sweeper.
Held Item: usually Life Orb, CSpecs sometimes hate the move for getting locked.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid 252 SpA / 4 ??? / 252 Spe
~ Draco Meteor
~ Fire Blast
~ Surf/Focus Blast
~ Roost/Dark Pulse

*red moves indicate moves that are undecided.

What are his best partners for Subway/PWT (Single, normal battle)?

Suggestions in bold.

If you are planning on just using it as a special sweeper I'd recommend replacing either Dark Pulse or Surf with Roost, so that you can heal off the damage that you take from LO etc. Besides, if it is meant to be used in-game it would probably also give you more opportunities to use it. Forgoing Surf leaves you walled by Heatran and Tyranitar, whereas forgoing Dark Pulse doesn't cause you to lose any coverage, so I'd probably use Roost over that. OR you could run Focus Blast (Miss) over Surf, just using a 4 attack set to decimate whatever is in your way. Your choice.

Personally, the only problem I've had with using Hydreigon is its middling speed. You could run a double dragon strategy with Latios/Latias if that is allowed given the strange rules ingame follows, as they are the fastest dragon and they benefit from one another - Lati can take on the fighters that cuts the Hydras fun short, and in return Hydreigon absorbs dark-type moves thrown its way.

Latios @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Timid 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~ Calm Mind
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Surf
~ Roost / Psyshock

Finally, defensively this leaves you weak to opposing dragon-spam (although tbh they probably wouldn't get to set up if you keep up the pressure), you could run something like Scizor to tank Ice/Dragon/Bug moves thrown your way, with its powerful BP to check things that get out of hand, or maybe something like SD Lucario might work, as its typing and coverage allows it to take on practically everything depending on the set. Good luck!

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant 252 Att / 4 Def/ 252 Spe
~ Swords Dance
~ Close Combat
~ Extremespeed
~ Bullet Punch/Ice Punch

BP in the last slot provides you a bit of insurance against Gengar as well, who otherwise ties with and threatens all of your team.

Try it out and see if it works - if it doesn't, we'll work something better out!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
To add to Opposite Day's post, I don't think Surf lets Hydreigon accomplish much, besides in-game utility. Besides Roost and Dark Pulse, you can consider U-turn to let Hydreigon escape from unfavorable matchups.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
So basically Focus Blast is a better option then Surf? :O
I don't know, because when I use moves that has 80% or below Acc, tend to miss a lot in Battle Facilities (including PWT) but funnily not when using in-game or battling with others real life players, it's not like I'm saying the suggestion is bad... I'm just concerned of... If there is a more secure option.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
Can HP Fighting replace Focus Blast? Or even Earth Power?

I can risk using Focus Blast at other competitive players...
I don't know if it's me, something's odd with these Batttle Facilities...

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I want to make a Chlorophyll Venusaur, but I never use Hidden Power, so what should I put there instead?

@Life Orb
Growth
Sleep Powder
Giga Drain
Sludge Bomb / Earthquake

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years
I want to make a Chlorophyll Venusaur, but I never use Hidden Power, so what should I put there instead?

@Life Orb
Growth
Sleep Powder
Giga Drain
Hidden Power Fire / Sludge Bomb / Earthquake

If you don't want to use Hidden Power Fire, your moveset is fine - although you will struggle to get past Ferrothorn/Scizor/Skarmory, etc, so I really would recommend you using it. I guess decide whether or not your team struggles with Latias or Heatran/Ferrothorn, and choose the last move accordingly.

Heatran takes care of all of those mentioned in the Sun (maybe save for a predicted CB Superpower from Scizor), and so it makes a pretty good partner synergy-vise. I'd post a moveset but idk what Heatran commonly runs on Sun - but since you'd want Sun to stay, you could always run the trapping set for Hippowdon/Tyranitar/Politoed:

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~ Sunny Day
~ Magma Storm
~ SolarBeam
~ Earth Power / Hidden Power Ice

Outspeeds and changes the weather as they get trapped thanks to Magma Storm, and with Sunny Day up their attacks won't do too much to you, after which you can OHKO w/ SolarBeam and send in Ninetales again for sunny fun. Be wary of scarf sets though.

In addition to that LO Sawsbuck makes a pretty good sweeping partner for Venusaur, as it decimates both Latias and Heatran with either Double Edge/Megahorn or Nature Power/Jump Kick.

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Adamant 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Horn Leech
~ Return / Double Edge
~ Nature Power / Jump Kick
~ Megahorn

I wouldn't really bother with using Swords Dance since unlike Venusaur, Sawsbuck doesn't resist any priority at all and besides is frailer.

Good luck!

Years
I need an electric type for my white 2 team. I was looking at either Elekid, Mareep, or magnetite and their families respectively. Is there a better one out there or wich one of these should I use?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I need an electric type for my white 2 team. I was looking at either Elekid, Mareep, or magnetite and their families respectively. Is there a better one out there or wich one of these should I use?

Magnemite is the best, IMO, as it can beat Roxie's gym handily, because of its immunity to Poison. It's also useful for the gyms after Elesa and Clay.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years

Seconding Platdude here. Magnemite = God Mode in BW2, with Sonicboom you pretty much 2HKO everything, and you resist practically every move in the game as well. It takes on Roxie, Burgh, Elesa, Skyla, and Marlon singlehandedly, and does pretty decently against Drayden too, just keep it away from Flygon (and Druddigon, Revenge does a number to you).

Elekid needs a bit of babying before it gets useful, so I'd strongly recommend using Magnemite over it - but if you value speed, go for it.

Last edited:
Years
Cool thanks. I was leaning towards him because he is the only one I haven't used out of the three. Another question though, for a ground type would you suggest crustle or sandile?

Last edited:

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Crustle is not a ground-type, but actually a rock/bug-type. Since you want a ground-type, Sandile is the one for you. Especially after it fully evolves into Krookodile, it is very powerful with a good movepool as well as the added benefits of the ever useful dark-type. With abilities Moxie or Intimidate (I'd recommend Moxie from personal experience), you'll have yourself a viable and reliable member on your team.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Crustle is not a ground-type, but actually a rock/bug-type. Since you want a ground-type, Sandile is the one for you. Especially after it fully evolves into Krookodile, it is very powerful with a good movepool as well as the added benefits of the ever useful dark-type. With abilities Moxie or Intimidate (I'd recommend Moxie from personal experience), you'll have yourself a viable and reliable member on your team.

Cool thanks. I was leaning towards him because he is the only one I haven't used out of the three. Another question though, for a ground type would you suggest crustle or sandile?

To add, there' also Drilbur as a stronger option over Sandile. While it does require some patience to find (it's sometimes found in dust clouds in any cave; the first one you'll find is Relic Passage), Excadrill is a very strong Pokemon in the end, learning virtually all its useful moves by level-up (Swords Dance, Dig; later Earthquake, Rock Slide).

Years
Hey, guys. I'm trying out the Harvest moveset for my Exeggutor and so far it helps out in battle more often than not. I'm wondering if my Exeggutor will be better off in a Sun or Rain team? Or neither? Fire in sunlight normally faints it in one move but Harvest kicks in every turn, while rain reduces the power of all Fire-type moves and Harvest works normally. This is my current build for it:

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Harvest (50% chance to recycle a used Berry, 100% chance in sunlight)
252 HP, 172 Def, 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Psychic

Bold nature would suit it better, but I didn't want to let this ability go to waste since this DW Exeggutor is male, so its ability can't be passed down to its offspring. What do you guys think? And what tier would be better for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back