• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: JohtoMap - A Pokemon G/S Level Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hm... making JohtoMap compatible with Pokémon Crystal wouldn't be a bad idea, actually. :)
But if it seems this map editor won't be updated anymore, then I guess it won't be added. However, 1st and 2nd generation seem to have the exact mapping engine, except the 2nd generation has the palette changes for the real time clock. But the 1st generation does indeed use different palettes for every map, so it would show up in those palettes on Super GameBoy or Pokémon Stadium.

If there was a map editor for the 1st generation that would load all the tiles from the ROM itself, then it would be great.

However, I do see that hex editing the 1st and 2nd generation is much quicker than any other generations.

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2017
Hi Lin, congratulations, this tool is so useful! I would like to use the beta tilesets, will you add this option? It would be very useful.

Bye ^^

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Hi Lin, congratulations, this tool is so useful! I would like to use the beta tilesets, will you add this option? It would be very useful.

Bye ^^
To do so, just change the [Tileset] byte inside the Map Header of the edited map. It's actually the first byte in the header.

See this doc. for details:
http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/15/

The Map Header structure is the same in GSC as in RBY.
This may feel hard in the beginning but if you're about to make a hack of G/S, you've to learn how to do things like that ;)

miksy91

Years
I'm going to double-post because the last message from me was at Nov 28th and this has nothing to do with it (and no one would see what I point out here).

This tool sure is great !
I haven't had any "bugs" anymore as I clearly know what each command is for.
*Might actually make a tutorial of using this thing but not sure...

Anyway, there is one thing with this tool that's bothering me.

If you for example put one more person to the map, it repoints the event data to the next following offset where there is free space for adding the data even though I'd like to put the data somewhere else. The editor doesn't leave the user the possibility to choose the offset itself.

The only problem is that if you for example repointed something else (like trainer type names text) just in front of the start data of the repointed event data, you won't have the space to expand it in need.

Of course you can always pass this problem by repointing the event data with a hex editor but this tool automatically adds the original event data to the repointed offset which makes it so useful :D

Lin

JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 26, 2014
Sorry for the bump, but this project has been updated. I also no longer work on it, so the source code has been released. Visit the main topic for download information.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
What about ClassicMap ?
Will you still be working on that ?? D:

Lin

JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 26, 2014
Agree, it would be a great editor than RedMap or PokeMap if it was finished.

Also, Lin. Is the last update free from bugs??

According to the testers who originally found the bugs fixed in this update, yes.

No, ClassicMap is not being worked on and never will be (by me). I posted on its topic that it's dead a while ago, so I'm surprised you didn't know.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Just out of curiosity ... If you say 'you' are no longer working on this ... does that imply someone else is working on it ... ?

Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2012
Not sure if stupid, but I can't seem to work out how collision editing works on this thing....any insight at all would be appreciated.

miksy91

Years
Not sure if stupid, but I can't seem to work out how collision editing works on this thing....any insight at all would be appreciated.
There is no "newbie-friendly" way for editing map connections. You're going to have to calculate the right values and can insert them into the rom with Johtomap / hex editor. There is a tutorial for map connections in Skeetendo Inc though.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Unfortunately this thread has been bumped beyond the two month limit so its going to have to be closed.

Lin, if you would like this thread to be reopened then just message either myself or giradialkia. Until then, closed~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back