• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Is there any way to check what direction the hero is facing from a script?

Yes, there is. There's a variable called PLAYERFACING (0x800C) that checks the player's direction and stores it to that variable. It stores the values as 1 (down), 2 (up), 3 (left), or 4 (right). To apply it you could use something like this:

Code:
compare PLAYERFACING 0x1 'Checks if the player is facing down
if 0x1 goto @down 'Checks if the player is facing down. 0x1 = yes, 0x0 = no.

You can use it 4 times to check every direction, simply replacing the 0x1 in the first line with 0x2, 0x3, or 0x4, to check up, left, or right, respectively.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
PJBottomz said:
Yes, there is. There's a variable called PLAYERFACING (0x800C) that checks the player's direction and stores it to that variable. It stores the values as 1 (down), 2 (up), 3 (left), or 4 (right).

Spherical Ice said:
compare PLAYERFACING FACE_UP works if you have XSE and std.rbh installed, but it doesn't always work. Darthatron actually helped me find the location of it which can be manipulated with wbto but try that first.

Ah! I knew there was a way to do it, but I couldn't remember. I'll give it a try.

Thanks! :)

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
Is there anyway to not allow people to enter cheats in the game? I'm making a game or switching some things around in my FR and plan on having a little competition with my friends and wanna make sure no one cheats to win lol is there a particular script or setting?

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
I took a brake from hacking for quite a long time, but now I'm back and I want to create a full hack. I already have years of experience so don't worry about skill level. Just a simple, quick, (YES OR NO ANSWER) question for ya'll: Is it worth the effort?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Heck yes. The thrill is like no other. Plus a few people got jobs or are studying to get jobs in game development companies from doing this kind of thing.

Flandre Scarlet

Free your mind.
Years
Yeah, tried that. I'm generally unlucky with tutorials- this is one of those cases, it just hasn't worked for me and doesn't look like it's going to. I have a method to change the instruments (within the song, not the ROM) that works absolutely fine, I just want to know exactly what instruments can be worked with in Ruby so I know how to compose around that; it's an odd way to go about it, but it works for me (so long as I know, again, what instruments I'm working with).

Not sure if your question has been answered, but here goes anyway.

So, basically you just want to know which voicegroups in Ruby play which instruments? There's a few documents around PC that Magnius wrote a while back that I still use to this very day. Here's a link to the RSE one:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=158512&highlight=document+voicegroup

You can also go in sappy, go to a battle song (where most of the good instruments are played like Trumpet, Strings, accordion and so forth) and note the voicegroup offset, and search for it in this document. There you will find all of the instruments that the voicegroup consists of. But, you could always just look through the document and find a voicegroup that suits your needs (whether you're composing a town/city theme, victory theme, battle theme etc.).

But just keep in mind that there can only be a certain amount of DirectSound instruments playing at once (I can't remember how many in Ruby though... I think it's like 4 or 5 or something?) and I think you need a certain amount of Square sounds/Wave sounds. But anyway, see how you go.

Hope that answers your question :)

GoGoJJTech

Years
Ruby naturally plays five but following my tutorial you can make it play seven.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Hi guys, If I have a map of 40x80 dimensions, I am aware increasing this to 40x100 will overwrite the next bytes and cause map glitches BUT can I safely change the dimensions to 60x60 (same area) without it glitches?

Or do I have to repoint the whole map? -.-

Thanks

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Repointing has always been safer. Theres no loss obviously.

Thanks, I will do this!

Also I edited overlds (15 and 76 to be exact) and place their correct frames in the right place... But when ever I use them in scripts or applymovements specifically the move but their frame does not. Even if I set the overworld to look up they always have frame 0 applied to them.

Any reason for this or how to fix it?

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2013
For some reason, Advance Map is not saving events. If I try to go to a different map, a box pops up that asks me to save. If I hit "Save" or "Cancel," nothing happens, while "No" takes me to the other map, without saving the first. What's going wrong?

GoGoJJTech

Years
@kearnsneyboy6
It happens when you import an ow without repointing. Just importing and saving corrupts the frame loader.

@885ertd
There is a save button at the top left of the program.

Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Might anyone be as to so kind to tell me how to edit a sprite pallet in overworld editor (Rebirth)? And if it is impossible to do it in (Rebirth), then is there another possible way to edit a sprite palette? I have been searching for about 3 weeks now, so I joined this site to hope for an answer.

GoGoJJTech

Years
use nse classic. it is better and does way more than your OWeditor program.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
Hi guys, If I have a map of 40x80 dimensions, I am aware increasing this to 40x100 will overwrite the next bytes and cause map glitches BUT can I safely change the dimensions to 60x60 (same area) without it glitches?

Or do I have to repoint the whole map? -.-

Thanks

Well, you could do it under certain circumstances. The way map data is programmed in GBA games is like HTML, with <tr> and <td>, so what you have to worry about is the actual size of the data. In your case, 40x80=3200, while 60x60=3600, causing an overwrite, as long as another map's data is within 400 tiledata bytesets of your map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back