• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinceLevi

Do A Barrel Roll!
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
To begin with, which screen name are you going by? I can't tell who you are.

Years
Need Water Pokemon for Wifi Team.

Hey everyone this is my first time posting here so here it goes. I recently starting making an online team for Pokemon SS and I have most of my team figured out, I just can't decide on what water pokemon I should use. This is my team so far: Snorlax, Scizor, Arbok/Gengar, Dragonite and Arcanine. And the water Pokemon I am interested in using are: Blastoise, Kingler, Gyarados, Suicune or Kabutops. Any advice on my team would be much appreciated, but I really need to find a water Pokemon, Thanks.

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
First of all, you shouldn't pay attention to braggers. They may have beaten you, but nobody likes a bragger. Second, although they may be useful at times, status attacks aren't worth keeping. My team only know attack-attacks, and I beat pretty much anything. Teach all your Pokemon non-status moves, and you're well on your way to beating these braggers. Third, level your Pokemon up a bunch of times and you'll have a good upper hand. Fourth, looks like you've battled them enough times to know their main team. With that information, you can form a powerful team with type advantages. And lastly, if your so called friends keep bragging, just say something witty, like 'You win, you lose, it doesn't really matter'

Good luck ;)

That's terrible advice to give to someone who wants to win competitively... you cannot win without status moves. His Pokemon are already leveled up because he's playing on a simulator, leveling up doesn't matter.

@the person needs help idr your username sorry ;;, I suggest posting an RMT (Rate My Team) here so we can rate it properly and help you make your team competitive battle worthy. :)

Last edited:

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Hey everyone this is my first time posting here so here it goes. I recently starting making an online team for Pokemon SS and I have most of my team figured out, I just can't decide on what water pokemon I should use. This is my team so far: Snorlax, Scizor, Arbok/Gengar, Dragonite and Arcanine. And the water Pokemon I am interested in using are: Blastoise, Kingler, Gyarados, Suicune or Kabutops. Any advice on my team would be much appreciated, but I really need to find a water Pokemon, Thanks.
You don't necessarily need a Water-Pokemon on your team however in the HGSS era FWG (Fire/Water/Grass for 3 members of your team) worked fantastically.

- You'll need to pick a tier first (OU,UU or NU) and then base a team around that tier, I suggest reading some guides and browsing Smogon a little.
- It's hard to help with such vague details, follow dragonmega's advice and post an RMT when you're ready.

Good luck!

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
Hi guys i've posted few days ago in the WB section asking for some help. Ninjagon suggested to write in this section so after i spent some time reading an online guide i think i'm ready to ask few more questions. Now i've figured out how levelling and stat work (nature, iv, ev ecc) but the guide i read (smogon university) was based on fourth generation games. Are there new ways to ev effectevely? other than power items and pokerus. Btw from what i've read seems impossible to ev during the "main plot", it should be done after i beat the game right? Is it hard or is better just to use simulators? I'd also like to know how stat directly influence damage. For example how defence reduces the damage you take? Is there a particular formula?
Sorry for all these questions

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hi guys i've posted few days ago in the WB section asking for some help. Ninjagon suggested to write in this section so after i spent some time reading an online guide i think i'm ready to ask few more questions. Now i've figured out how levelling and stat work (nature, iv, ev ecc) but the guide i read (smogon university) was based on fourth generation games. Are there new ways to ev effectevely? other than power items and pokerus. Btw from what i've read seems impossible to ev during the "main plot", it should be done after i beat the game right? Is it hard or is better just to use simulators? I'd also like to know how stat directly influence damage. For example how defence reduces the damage you take? Is there a particular formula?
Sorry for all these questions

The EVing method in Gen V is just the same as in Gen IV, except that "Wings" have been added. These items increase a particular stat by 1 EV, even after you use 10 vitamins on one stat. Here are the Wings and the stats they increase:
-Health Wing: HP
-Muscle Wing: Attack
-Resist Wing: Defense
-Genius Wing: Special Attack
-Clever Wing: Special Defense
-Swift Wing: Speed

It's kind of possible to EV train in-game, but you may have to take some time off from the main storyline grinding in routes as opposed to fighting other trainers (it's easier to do on physical attackers early on, since non-White players will have a hard time EV training their Special Attacking Pokemon, considering that Petilil, a Pokemon who gives out Special Attack EVs, isn't in Black; those players will have to wait till much later on, when they'll encounter Litwick in Celestial Tower)

A little off-topic, and for your knowledge, here are the B/W EV training spots:
-HP: Stunfisk (Iccirus City)
-Attack: Patrat, Lillipup (Route 1)
-Defense: Roggenrola (Wellspring Cave); Sewaddle, Venipede (Pinwheel Forest)
-Special Attack: Litwick (Celestlal Tower); Petilil (Pinwheel Forest, Lostlorn Forest; White only)
-Special Defense: Frillish (Route 17, Route 18, Driftveil City; surfing)
-Speed: Basculin (any lake); Woobat (Wellspring Cave)

Read this article and scroll down to "damage formula" (sorry if this isn't much help, but it's all I can think of)

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
Thanks that's what i was looking for ;) Now i'll play just to enjoy the main story then i'll see if it'll be more convenient to start ev training directly on W2

Kanye West

but you can call me great
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 26, 2015
Serious question. Has everyone I remember died or just this section?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Serious question. Has everyone I remember died or just this section?

A lot of the older regulars from here have left recently (last few weeks?) and the server itself is dead really often as far as activity goes, so basically just the section. Not sure about everyone outside of CBC but for the section itself it's going through a rough period kinda.

Kanye West

but you can call me great
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 26, 2015

A lot of the older regulars from here have left recently (last few weeks?) and the server itself is dead really often as far as activity goes, so basically just the section. Not sure about everyone outside of CBC but for the section itself it's going through a rough period kinda.

That's unfortunate though not surprising.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
Guys is always convenient to evolve pokemon the sooner possible? Both for ingame and competitive purposes. For example pokemon that evolves through items

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Guys is always convenient to evolve pokemon the sooner possible? Both for ingame and competitive purposes. For example pokemon that evolves through items

Sometimes it's not a good idea to evolve Pokemon as soon as possible, particularly most Pokemon that evolve through evolutionary stones. This is because those Pokemon won't be able to learn new moves by level-up (like Eelektross, Arcanine and Togekiss), they may have a different level-up move set altogehter (like the Eeveelutions) or a bit of both (like Whimsicott, Lilligant and Honchkrow).

This also applies to Pokemon that evolve by level-up. When a Pokemon evolves into another, its new form learns its moves slower than its previous stage. For example, Cranidos learns Head Smash at level 46, but Rampardos learns it at level 58. Some evolved Pokemon also learn moves that are different from their pre-evolved forms; for instance, Shroomish learns Spore at level 45, but Breloom learns DynamicPunch at that level instead.

However, there are a few exceptions. Pokemon that evolve through trade (like Kadabra into Alakazam and Gurdurr into Conkeldurr) tend to learn the same moves at the same levels. Some unevolved Pokemon (like Magikarp and Tynamo) have bad level-up move sets, so they must be evolved as soon as possible to make them better in battle. A few Pokemon that evolve by holding an item then leveling up (Sneasel into Weavile, Gligar into Gliscor) have similar move sets to their evolved forms, though a few (like Happiny into Chansey) are completely different. The same applies to Pokemon that evolve by leveling up in certain places (like Magneton into Magnezone).

dr4g0n12(2)

INSURRECTION!!!!!
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2014
That's terrible advice to give to someone who wants to win competitively... you cannot win without status moves. His Pokemon are already leveled up because he's playing on a simulator, leveling up doesn't matter.

@the person needs help idr your username sorry ;;, I suggest posting an RMT (Rate My Team) here so we can rate it properly and help you make your team competitive battle worthy. :)
If you have a choiced team with no non damage-inflicting moves, you can win. You just have to catch your opponent by suprise. It doesn't always work, though.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Ev training

How will I know I did a good job with ev training. How do I use the pokerus best to make my EV stat as high as possible before level 50

$lowking

King of the Hill
Years
Random Matchup Problem

Hey guys. I just finished using Pokégen to get a new NU Sun Team. When I went to test to see if these Pokés were legal, it claimed my there was a problem with my Pokémon. I narrowed it down and found that these 3 were the issue. NOTE: The fact that I got these from Pokégen is not the issue.

Pokémon 1: Regirock @ Heat Rock
Careful nature
Met on 8/8/2012
Entree Forest
Fateful encounter (same with all of these)
Met @ lvl 1
Clear body ability
364 HP
ATK: 236
Def: 437
Spa: 122
Spd: 328
Spe: 135
Sunny day
T wave
Stealth rock
Rock slide

Pokemon 2: volbeat (no item)
Bold nature
Met on 8/8/12
On route 3
Fateful encounter
@ lvl 1
Hp: 334
Attk: 163
Def: 229
Spa: 130
Spd: 187
Spe: 205
Prankster Ability
Sunny day
Substitute
Encore
Baton pass

Pokemon 3 (last pokemon): Victreebel @ life orb
Rash nature
Met on 11/24/11
@white forest
Fful encounter
@ lvl 1
Hp: 302
Atk: 246
Def: 166
Spa: 328
Spd: 140
Speed 237
Chlorophyll ability
Giga drain
Weather ball
Sludge bomb
Growth

I apologize for my grammar. I'm a bit in a rush. When I'm not I will edit the mistakes. Anyways I hope what you know what I mean. Also all these are level 100. Please tell me what's wrong with these Pokémon.

Soar

n00b
Years
Is it because they are all Fateful encounters? I dont battle from WiFi so im not familiar with these things. Is Prankster released yet on Volbeat?
Hope i helped

$lowking

King of the Hill
Years
Is it because they are all Fateful encounters? I dont battle from WiFi so im not familiar with these things. Is Prankster released yet on Volbeat?
Hope i helped

Fateful Encounters are not the issue. Had no problem going in with other Pokés that had a Fateful Encounter.

Volbeat's DW Ability is Prankster. I have no problem getting in with Pokémon such as Drizzle Politoed, so no, I don't think that's the problem.

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
Years
I think the problems are the Volbeat and Regirock.

As for Volbeat, it shouldn't have it's dream world ability if it was caught on Route 3.

Also, since Regirock was met in the Dream World, its ability should be Sturdy, not Clear Body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back