• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The Shiny Discussion Thread [v3.0]

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023

The Fourth Generation Shiny Discussion Thread [v3.0]
426.gif

♠ Introduction

Hey there! Welcome to yet another version of the Fourth Generation Shiny Discussion thread. This isn't official as of yet but since the old one died out around a month ago shortly after it was opened, I thought it would be nice to bring it back and hopefully get more activity this time around. Before we begin a reminder that this is only for shinies in the Fourth Generation, which is Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and Heartgold/Soulsilver, if you wish to discuss any other games take them to their right section please!
403f.gif
♠ Palette-coloured Pokemon [shinies]

Palette-coloured Pokemon or more commonly referred to as shinies is a term for differently coloured Pokemon. When you encounter one at the start of the battle you'll hear a tinkering noise, along with seeing the Pokemon differently coloured to how it normally is. There is a 1 in 8192 chance you'll encounter one which makes shinies rare and treasured by many fans. However you can increase your chances by using devices such as the Pokeradar which you get in the aftergame of D/P/Pt and can make shiny chances even up to 1 in 200 after a 40 Pokemon chain. If you're confused on what this all means, we have Bulbapedia handy where you can search up any more info regarding this. Also in HG/SS, you're always guaranteed to see a Shiny Gyarados at the Lake of Rage.

Shiny_Sandshrew_IV.png

The player encounters a Shiny Sandshrew.

And for those of you who aren't sure what to post here, you can post anything about your shiny experiences in the Fourth Generation. You can describe it in any way you like, the more creative the better! Also experiences you've read online or heard from a friend can also be posted here just make sure to say that it isn't yours and somebody else's. You may also say any shinies you might be hunting for! Also remember the 4 words/25 characters rule as well when posting. :3

441.gif
♠ Useful Links

→ Serebii's overview of Shiny Pokemon
→ Bulbapedia's overview of Shiny Pokemon
→ The Pokecommunity's 4th Gen FAQ
→ The Shiny Discussion Thread [V1.0]
→The Shiny Discussion Thread [V2.0]

If you have more to add or any of the links are broken, feel free to post them.

Featured Stories

Spoiler:

This is basically where stories/experiences and just in general posts that are interesting, creative or in general enjoyable to read are posted. If you think your story or somebody else's is worthy of being put in this section, then feel free to PM me! I'll also be on the lookout for good stories, so yeah post away!

037.gif
♠ Credits

bobandbill and Curious. for the previous threads
→Bulbapedia for extra information
→Pokemon Club's CSS Guide for help with the CSS

And without further ado post away me hearties! [oh god I'm turning into a pirate ;___;]

Last edited:
Years
Yay first post in the new Shiny thread.

I have to say, 4th Generation was very generous to me as far as obtaining Shiny Pokemon goes.

I have 3 Shinies in Diamond, a Graveler, Budew and Unown. The Unown is the U form if you're wondering. I also have a Shiny Graveler in SoulSilver, as well as a Farfetch'd and the obvious Red Gyarados.

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
I think shiny Pokemon are the only reason I still play 4th generation games. Fifth gen is a bit stingy about it.

All I have in the way of shinies is a random Starly I ran into. I guess I'll go shiny hunting soon...

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Lucky ducks. It would be one of my most farfetch'd dreams to even own one shiny besides the Red Gyarados and for me it all comes down to luck and chance. I've never worked out the trick to the Pokeradars as remembering the grass's movement is almost impossible for me so I congratulate those who can do it with ease! Also RNGing and other methods also sound really complicated, so yeah for me encountering shinies all comes down to the hope that the 1 in 8192 chance will shine through.

Although I have seen one shiny! I've already told this story numerous times and the details often chance since I can't exactly remember seeing as this was around three years ago XD;, but I can say that on my first go of playing a Pokemon game or Platinum, at Iron Island I ran into a shiny Graveler.

I was really confused upon first seeing it, for a moment I just stared at it. I then yelled to my sister who was on the opposite side of the room, sitting at the computer that my game was glitched up. She came over and looked and then explained to me that it was what was called a 'shiny pokemon' and that they were rare and precious. My 8 year old eyes goggled at it and then I immediately sent out my Empoleon, at the time I didn't know Graveler was easily KOed by water moves.

So yeah being an 8 year old, I typically went for my strongest move which was Surf I believe. I didn't think it would die but it wasn't surprising that the Graveler instantly fainted and disappeared out of sight. I think I got furious straightaway and then asked if I could ever get it back, but I'm still hoping for the day I'll get another chance to see that tinkering sound. :3

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
1 sole shiny other than that Red Gryados in HG and some other event Pokemon. Its a Sentret, got it just right after I got me Pokeballs, how lucky am I right?

However, that remains my one and only random encounter Shiny in my life

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Lucky you found it after you received the Pokeballs. I'd honestly be screaming and pulling out my hair, if I saw any shiny, whether it be a simple Rattata or a chirping Starly before I even had the chance to obtain Pokeballs. I've seen it happen before though to some people and I feel really sorry for them, seeing their furious reactions. XD;

Mm same. I feel like I'm a repel for shinies, they never appear, no matter how hard I soft reset whether it'd be for a week or a month, using the Pokeradar and other devices. It's pretty irritating but then again, I'll just have to be patient and maybe eventually one will come. :p

EDIT: Added the featured stories section to the first post :3

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
The only Legit Shiny encounter i had in Gen IV was in Platinum in mount Coronet, I was trying to find a way to Snowpoint City and low and behold A Shiny Bronzor appeared!.I was pretty shocked because i have the worst luck with shinies.I caught it pretty easily..but i forgot to save ;~; and well /shot.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Gen IV has been the most generous to me in terms of random shinies, I believe. I got a shiny Golbat in Diamond, Fearow in Platinum, and Ekans in SoulSilver. And of course, Gyarados in HGSS. ...Totally counts. jk.

But yeah, I still have all three, and I think they're all still in gen IV as well, since I'm not a big fan of transferring Pokemon out of their original generation.

I was able to RNG a few shiny Pokemon on Platinum before restarting it, two of which I gave to my boyfriend for his birthday. Gave him a copy of Pearl and I had to play the beginning of the game a bit so I could trade them over, but yeah. Bagon and Eevee. :)

Hopefully I find more random shinies when I play games of this gen though!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 30, 2023
I bought a pre-owned HeartGold, and inside, I found a shiny Hypno and a shiny Ursaring.

On my Pearl game, when I played a few years ago, I found a shiny Quagsire in the marsh, along with a shiny Golduck, but I think I released the Golduck (I don't know why)

Treetwig

Banned for being awesome
Years
On my Platinum I found atleast 5 shiny pokemons I got 3 shiny pokemons using the chaining method and the other 2 was luckily found in the wild but the first ever shiny pokemon that I caught is starly

Moving on HG I only caught 2 :P they are oddish and geodude hahaha

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Glad to know this thread isn't forgotten and lost in time and space! B]

But wow, it's always interesting opening up a pre-owned game and seeing if the previous owner left any gifts or Pokemon behind. But that must of been pretty shocking to find a few shinies, I probably would even if I only got my hands on one.

The chaining method was something I could never master. I've watched five guides, a few videos and even researched and I never got the hang of it at all. I think my record has been up to 10 but other than that, I've just decided to ditch the method completely and rely on luck haha. But congrats to you Treetwig for finding three shinies using the method. I have to say you're lucky to encounter two randomly and yeah, like I said before you guys are all lucky and talented when it comes to shinies. B)

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I remember my sister bought a second hand Pearl because our dog chewed her original copy up, and the previous owner, Andy, left some very intricately trained pokemon like the three starters (final evolution) and a really well trained Spiritomb. They also left a shiny Pidgey which was a lovely surprise for her. (Mind you, I was super jealous! Haha)

Last edited:

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Other than Red Gyarados I encountered 3 shinies. Couldnt catch 1 :( The one who I couldnt catch was a Shiny Hoothoot the other two were shiny Pidgey and Shiny Ratata.

Giant Magikarp

I like Iris...
Years
019.png
Shiny Rattata (HG/SS)

129.png
3 Shiny Magikarps (HG/SS)

143.png
Shiny Snorlax (HG/SS)

130.png
Shiny Gyarados (HG/SS)

158.png
Starter Shiny Totodile (HG/SS)

carnivine.png
Shiny Carnivine (D/P/Pt)

Last edited:

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I liked some of the shiny Pokemon, my definite favourite being Rotom (particularly the wash forme)
479-wash.gif

There's just something..eerie, about the green aura that surrounds it..makes it look even more possessed O_O, kind of like ectoplasm.

Another Pokemon that I liked shiny was Pachirisu.
417.gif

It just looks even cuter with that pink stripe along it's back :D
As of owning a shiny...I only have one.

158.png
A shiny Totodile, which I got starting SoulSilver, so lucky me ^-^

Last edited:

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I've had good luck with shinies on Gen IV, especially with chaining.
Here's a list of mine:

ponyta.png
[RE while chaining]

bayleef.png
[SR on Heartgold Version]

bidoof-f.png
[RE - My first shiny]

skitty.png
[Pokeradar -- 3 of these]

ralts.png
[Pokeradar]

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I did not have the best luck in fourth gen when it came to shiny pokemon

You might remember about the shiny Starly that made my game crash on Pearl. As for the best loving shiny I would say Flygon is the best lokking shiny.

Years
My first and only shiny on Platinum was Floatzel, and he looked really good. If I remember, I found him on route 221.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
Regardless of generation I have never been very lucky in finding shinies. My first and only 4th generation shiny is a sneasel in Platinum. I found her right outside Snowpoint city.

(she's going to be getting a name change, I am thinking Gypsy.)

Alright she might not be my ONLY 4th generation shiny if you count the shiny Drowzee I found in Soul Silver just before Goldenrod but my attention was on an episode of Without a Trace and I didn't realize it was shiny until I fainted it. XP

You might remember about the shiny Starly that made my game crash on Pearl. As for the best loving shiny I would say Flygon is the best lokking shiny.

Was this a AR shiny? How else could that happen?

Last edited:
Back