• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Changing text color(GOLD)

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
What you need
  • Hex Editor(I Use Translhextion and Powerhex)
  • Pokémon Gold Rom
  • VBA
  • Patience

Index
  • Start menu/Regular Text Color change
  • Changing Intro Color Dialogue

Start Menu/Regular Text Color change

1.|Open up your Hex Editor and Search For:

FF7F FF7F FF7F 0000
(The "FF7F" is for White Background, and The "0000" is for the Black Writing). (Also you might get more than one Result, one is for indoor text color and one is for outdoor text color).

2.|Now You open up VBA and play until you see the color you want to change to. Then, you go to Tools->Palette viewer and you will see a list of colors. Click on which ever color you want(I use Brown and Red) and look at the "Value"(Remember they are byte swapped and you need the switch them). For the Red I got "195E" so I switch it to "5E19" and For the Brown I got "0DB0" So I switch the numbers to "B00D"

3.|Then You Replace it with:

5E19 5E19 5E19 B00D (or any color you want)

4.|Check your work.

Now was that so hard.

Changing Intro Color Dialogue

1.|Open a hex editor and search for:

FF7F 182E 0D02 0000(this is for OAK talking)
2.| Like before, you have to replace it with a color, BUT!! it has to be something like this:

5E19 182E 0D02 B00D

only change the first four numbers and the last four numbers and leave everything else alone.

Now That was easy wasn't it.

This is another thing I forgot to add. Changing the color of the Time intro(zzzzzz. what time is it? - yeah that one).

1.|you should already know what to do by now, if you don't then go to every Step 1 in this post and do what it says. Anyway Open up your POKéMON Gold rom in a Hex Editor and search for:

FF7F DE46 D04D 0000

Like I said before Only change the first four digits and the last four digits so that it looks like this:

5E19 DE46 D04D B00D

Then Replace it and hit save and you are
FINISHED !!

Last edited by a moderator:

Godot

That's one of my rules.
Years
Hey, thanks for this, I'm looking into creating a pokemon gold hack (i'm new) and I managed to change the text color :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
Hey, isn't it easier to use Nextsoft's Hexeditor MX? It has a Search & Replace function. And to simplify the color choosing, use a RGB-to-HEX converting tool.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Hey thats really easy,
I'm gonna try this since I want to hack gold xD
Nice tutorial!

~C3LEBI

The dude

Metal is good
Years
  • Seen May 11, 2016
Here's a tip! How to have 2bpp Fonts!

At 3E:4000 (f8000)

theres a 21 xx xx - Pointer to font
and a 3E xx - Bank

and look for an C38?0e or something like it -- change whatever is next to it to c3720E

I dont remember the offset for that and i have no emulator right now but i think im right

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
Look, this is the same for Gold and Silver.
Bigsteve: This doesn't have anything to do with Scripting, why should I add it?

Back