• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

X/Y Egg RNG Trick Guide

NRG

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 9, 2015
I was going to try doing this tonight but I've spent half an hour trying to use the stupid IV calculator on serebii.

Apparently the stats I copied directly from the game are wrong. Whatever, I'll just hatch hundreds of damn eggs to get my gliscor done. It'll be quicker than this.

/rage

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 11, 2015
Only worked a few times for me. Not sure why. Will the gender of the test parents holding the everstone and destiny knot affect the results?
Is there a need to calculate its IV using the IV calculator, or could I just base it on the Lv 50 stats alone?

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
Thanks for explaining this so well. I had seen two other guides online that I was able to make ZERO sense of. Using your guide I was able to make this trick work.

Questions/comments though, as I have only played a little with this:
As near as I can tell the only reason for the Everstone is to ensure the passing of the nature you want? I have not used an Everstone on my attempts at this process so far, and I am still finding it possible to predict which stats are being passed along.

Is there any indication from anyone's experimentation if the order parents are put in matters, or is it purely which is considered Male and which Female? I have been always putting the female in first.

I had already been trying to chain breed decent IV's without having access to this process and this has sped things up for sure. I was able to take a Smeargle with no perfect IV's and come up with a Smeargle with five perfects. Trying to work on a few other Field egg group Pokemon now.

Years
Learned about this yesterday and got a 30/31/31/31/31/31 absol on my first attempt! Great guide.

I do have a question though. Is the SV locked? Or could I SR for a shiny after getting the spread I want?

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
hermit17: Are you using any genderless Pokemon? It doesn't matter which one is holding the destiny knot.

RingoH: Happy to help! Everstone is optional, but highly preferred for its perk. Order of parents deposited into the daycare did not seem to influence the trick.

Noossab Blue: Dunno about SV. I've heard two different stories, where one person hatched a shiny and soft reset to switch out the parents, but lost the shiny forever. And the other story goes the opposite, where the person could hatch the shiny over and over when resetting. I guess you can tell if you're you getting the same gender and ability each time or not?

Years
I haven't actually been paying attention to gender because it hasn't mattered yet, and since Magikarp only have one ability I haven't looked at that either...

But supposedly if I were getting the same gender/ability every time it would be safe to SR for a shiny? Not sure that I would chance it either way anymore with instacheck being gone...

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
I haven't actually been paying attention to gender because it hasn't mattered yet, and since Magikarp only have one ability I haven't looked at that either...

But supposedly if I were getting the same gender/ability every time it would be safe to SR for a shiny? Not sure that I would chance it either way anymore with instacheck being gone...

I think it would be hard to tell if it's worth doing or not. In past generations(at least in gen III and IV... do not recall how it worked in Gen V) the PID of the egg dictated Gender/Nature/Ability/Shinyness. If you were getting everything else the same wether it was shiny or not would stay the same as well. My gut says that if we do not know how these variables are being calculated, we would not know if shiny is tied to the other variable or not. I wouldn't personally want to keep collecting the same egg over and over to try it. But I like to err on the side of caution.

TwilightBlade

Years
0:19 OmegaDonut you can do egg RNG to make Masuda Method faster
20:19 Nexus explain
20:19 OmegaDonut pick up Magikarp eggs until you get a shiny
20:19 OmegaDonut reset
20:19 Nexus oh that
20:19 OmegaDonut swap parents for the ones you want
20:19 OmegaDonut get shiny egg

Maybe this help clears things up?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Yes it does. The patch had nothing to do with the game's internal mechanics.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 6, 2014
Can I keep soft resetting until I get a shiny so I can have a shiny with the IV's I need?

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
Does anyone know if there is any predictable pattern to which stat is not being passed down? Also, is there any advice on the odds of that stat being a 31? My thoughs are that it should be about 1/32 , but realized there may be other factors involved in that particular odds. I just goofed up and had an egg that would have had speed be the non-passed down stat, and it would have been perfect..... then instead of soft-resetting to switch the parents I hit save..... (neither of my test parents had a 31vin speed but the baby that hatched did).

TwilightBlade

Years
Okay, getting a shiny through this method is possible. If it's worth anything, I do have the Shiny Charm.

What I did was:
1. Saved inside the Daycare. Deposited two English Gyarados, one holding Everstone and the other holding Destiny Knot, into Daycare. Biked, collected egg, hatched egg. Out came the shiny Magikarp.
2. Soft resetted. From the PC storage I got two English Pumpkaboo, one holding Everstone and the other holding Destiny Knot. Dumped them into the Daycare. Biked, collected egg, hatched egg. Out came shiny Pumpkaboo.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
It doesn't seem to work with genderless Pokemon. I tried my hardest with a ditto and Porygon2 and it didn't work at all. :/

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
It doesn't seem to work with genderless Pokemon. I tried my hardest with a ditto and Porygon2 and it didn't work at all. :/

Well, it works for genderless Pokemon. That's how I got my first Rotom.

You need to use ditto + another genderless pokemon as testing parents. Otherwise it won't work

Back