• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are Ivs Super important?

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I am just wondering. I know EVs are important I know Speed iV is an important one, but should I be super dedicated to the other IVs?

Have you been successful with Lower Ivs then Ideal? I know Speed is an important one

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The title made me think this should've gone to the Simple Questions thread.

Anyway, IVs are important for Hidden Power base powers and types. I only go for IVs that range from 20-31 in the stats I intend on focusing on.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Apart form Hidden Powers, it depends on whether it's a Pokemon that uses Gyro Ball (Like Ferrothorn) or if its a Special Attacker that doesn't need Hidden Power (Like Starmie), or even a Suicide Lead (Like Banette). In the first two cases, I'd drop the Speed and Attack IV respectively, the former makes it as slow as possible to increase the power of Gyro Ball, and the latter takes less damage from the rare confusion status ailment.

In the case of Banette, A suicide Pokemon has its defenses and speed minimized to 0 IVs so that Banette is brought down to his Focus Sash, allowing him to gain a kill with Destiny Bond with much more reliability.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
IVs can give a maximum of +31 points in a stat at level 100, so arguably they are quite important, yes! If you're playing competitively then chances are all of your opponent's Pokémon will have max IVs, which for stats like Attack and Defence won't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things, but the difference between 0 and 31 Speed can be game changing, especially in a meta full of such powerful sweepers. IVs aren't important for in-game teams, but for competitive teams they can occasionally win or lose you the match, especially if you come up against the same Pokémon as you're using but with higher IVs, so I'd always aim to get them as high as possible. EVs and base stats are more important to focus on, but IVs can be a big deal too, especially in the lower base stats where +31 could be a huge amount to add.

And, as said above, IVs are also used to determine the type/power of Hidden Power, so they're worth looking out for in that regard too.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
In competitive battling, yes. They are important for the type of Hidden Power. 0 IVs in Speed are also important for any Gyro Ball using Pokemon (such as Ferrothorn). In general however, aim for 31 IVs in all stats. On Showdown! and PO you can tweak these IVs to your preference.

Back