• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Animal Crossing - Why do you play?

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
Years
With the upcoming release of Animal Crossing: New Leaf I've read a few gaming articles online about what motivates people to play Animal Crossing. With no clear goal or end to the game beyond paying off your continually upgraded house, a lot of people question just what it is exactly that keeps them playing.

I know when the first Animal Crossing title for GameCube hit the states back in the early 2000's I was intrigued by it's laid back game-play. Once I bought it, the sheer amount of things to do easily kept me busy followed by decorating/upgrading my house. However what really got me excited about continuing to play was discovering you could collect old NES games in your house and play them for free ANYTIME! I can only assume that with the release of the Animal Crossing: New Leaf's ability to show off your virtual house to people more easily than before people will be enjoying Animal Crossing for a long time to come indeed.

So, what is it about any of the Animal Crossing games that kept YOU playing?
Also, will you be purchasing Animal Crossing: New Leaf when it's released?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2013
I've only played the first Animal Crossing but what kept me playing was completing my Museum and Bug/Fish lists. I tend to be a completionist so that kept me going. Though I did cheat a bit by fiddling with the date on my Gamecube so that I wouldn't have to play everyday for 8 months to get everything.

As for the new one no I won't be getting it. Partly because I'm never going to own a 3ds and partly because I've moved away from playing those style of games as I grew up. I tried to go back to the original recently but I got bored in an hour or so.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I played the GCN one a lot. I liked the pattern aspect.

I also preferred the conversations in the GCN version because you got to pick gossip or do a favour. Now, it's kinda random, more often doing favours, and the gossip is meh

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
It's the perfect summer game. It's a great feeling to just pop it out and go catching bugs, fishing and just walk around your own virtual world with your animal buddies. There's also the sense of exploring and accomplishment you can get, since every day is actually different. Portability is a big part of my enjoyment for this series though, so the GCN and Wii version are a no-no. I'm very excited to get my hands on New Leaf for free, it'll make my summer. (Thanks, Nintendo of Europe!)

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
Years
I've played Animal Crossing since the Gamecube version, have bought every game and will be purchasing New Leaf. I believe what's kept me playing is the lack of a goal and/or end.

The main attraction for me is the homely (is that the right word?) sense it gives. I enjoy late night fishing, and chatting with the townsfolk, even listening to K.K. slider on Saturday nights. I guess it's more of a time-waster than anything. Multi-player has also played a large role in my interest. Seeing the difference in style of my friends' towns is always enjoyable. Also trading patterns, etc.

I'm so excited for New Leaf especially for the return of portability! Although City Folk and the Gamecube version were great, they lacked what Wild World had: ability to take anywhere! Now instead of having to be grounded to staying at home to play, I'll be able to take my town anywhere and everywhere!

Also, if anybody is interested in visiting each other's towns once the game is released, shoot me a pm! I'd love to gain a few AC friends! ♥

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I lost the DS game ages ago and have only recently thought to put it onto an R4, and it just brings back memories about everything I loved about it all those years ago! It's so laid back and chilled out. While I didn't play it with a purpose before, now I'm determined to fill the catalogues in the museum and pay off all the mortgages, etc.

The most frustrating thing about the game is the fact that you really need to watch your battery or else you're in for that annoying "Y U NO SAVE?!" mole........

I really want to try to collect all the fruit and stuff though :/

As for the 3D one, I wouldn't mind getting it, but I think it's really finance permitting and I don't know will I be able to afford it

Back