• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 3DS Exclusive - RIP Pokemon?

Annataz

Master of Time and Space
Years
I wasn't planning on buying a 3DS until I saw the announcement for X and Y. Who can argue with a 3D Pokemon game? I've been wanting that since I was a kid. So yeah, I'm happy that this is going to be for the 3DS, even though it means I'll have to upgrade from my DS Lite.

Years
For me they will lose tons of sales from this, A massive majority of sales for BW2 came from the standard DS buyers rather than 3DS users. SO in my opinion pokemon will be laid to rest this year, not everyone can afford a 3DS, I know they moved it to the 3ds so that they could make the graphics better and stuff but that still doesn't excuse the fact they just took a massive crap on standard DS users such as myself.

If they lose sales from this than that's completely retarded. The GBA Pokemon games only had about 3-4 years of pokemon games coming out for it. The DS has had 7 years. That is ridiculous. The DS has outdone it's stay. It is about time a Pokemon game comes out for the new system. If you can't afford a 3DS than your absolutely broke and probably are living in a box. If you can't afford it sell your old system, unwanted things, get a job (or if your not old enough ask your parents for chores), buy a refurbished model or even wait until the price goes down. It really isn't that hard...
Time to move on my friend. Time to move on. If you live with the too expensive and not worth buying mindset you might as well sell your DS and buy a Gameboy Color or original and Pokemon Red/Green/Blue.

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
Years
  • Age 34
  • PA
  • Seen Aug 19, 2020
No way at all. Like everyone has said above these games will only help to boost the 3DS sells. I have talked to a bunch of my friends who do not own a 3DS but now intend to buy one because of this announcement.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
Years
The OP must have gotten into Pokemon during the 4th gen (no offense to him/her, but that's how they make themselves sound; like they've never had to upgrade over the years). This is not the first time Nintendo has made games only for the next gen handheld. It hasn't hurt them before, and I doubt it'll hurt them now. It's only really a pain in the arse for those who already been through multiple iterations of the DS.

RBGY = Gameboy [monochrome + color]
GSC = Gameboy [color version preferred for the introduction of shinies, but GF added the stars {like for Red Gyarodos} for those still playing the monochrome GB]
SREFRLG = Gameboy Advance Original or SP [GB monochrome + color also compatible]
DPPtBWB2W2 = DS Original, XL, DSi, Lite [GBA backwards compatible only for Original w/ slot], 3DS
XY = 3DS [DS backwards compatible]

^ See a pattern? It's not going to end until Nintendo declares that they can't push the technology any further. People still bought (and will buy) new systems with every generation. So long as GF doesn't make a Pokemon game that everyone unanimously hates, Pokemon won't die.

Manganum

Your local sine wave
Years
In a word? No.
I went out and bought myself a 3DS XL the day after X and Y were announced. Just so I can play them.
$300 really isn't that much in the console department.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
The OP must have gotten into Pokemon during the 4th gen (no offense to him/her, but that's how they make themselves sound; like they've never had to upgrade over the years). This is not the first time Nintendo has made games only for the next gen handheld. It hasn't hurt them before, and I doubt it'll hurt them now. It's only really a pain in the arse for those who already been through multiple iterations of the DS.

GSC = Gameboy [color version preferred for the introduction of shinies, but GF added the stars {like for Red Gyarodos} for those still playing the monochrome GB]
SREFRLG = Gameboy Advance Original or SP [GB monochrome + color also compatible]
DPPtBWB2W2 = DS Original, XL, DSi, Lite [GBA backwards compatible only for Original w/ slot], 3DS

^ See a pattern? It's not going to end until Nintendo declares that they can't push the technology any further. People still bought (and will buy) new systems with every generation. So long as GF doesn't make a Pokemon game that everyone unanimously hates, Pokemon won't die.

I think you probably should have read the original post first, Fabio was asking as a hypothetical, he didn't actually think Pokemon was dying - at least I'm pretty sure he wasn't.

Years

I think you probably should have read the original post first, Fabio was asking as a hypothetical, he didn't actually think Pokemon was dying - at least I'm pretty sure he wasn't.

Yeh, I was asking a hypothetical question. For the record, I have played the games when they first came out. ;D​

Years
If you cannot afford the small amount for a 3DS in the next 10 months, then you need to take a good long look at what you're doing wrong with your life.

its been a while since i have logged in here but i logged in just to say this to you(so you should feel special)

people have bills to pay, and people have families to feed
just because you are handed everything doesnt everyone else is, rainy days happen and if you had to choose between spending $200(after taxes and everything because i know most kids dont calculate tax with their purchase) on a 3ds or $200 to fix your car so you can keep your family fed, and a roof over your head, i think most sane people will spend that $200 on their car

you have a lot of growing up to do kid if you think like that

ON TOPIC:
i feel the new pokemon games are not going to sell well, most people dont buy the latest and greatest console for their kids, heck i only got my 3ds because it cost less to buy then a dsi xl was last year(christmas special) and the only game i bought was star fox 64 for nostalgia purposes, and honestly the new pokemon games look really low quality as far as graphics and gameplay went, no high res images, terrible camera angles, and bad animations. the pokemon on the other hand look amazing but thats it really, and even though everything is subject to change, i dont think it will change much from the launch trailer

EDIT:
wow reading through this thread, it seems there are a lot of spoiled kids here
who ever thinks $150 isnt a lot of money is either a spoiled kid, or an adult mooching off someone else
let me list out what you can buy for $150
1. a months worth of groceries
2. 2 cheap tires
3. 1-2 months worth of gas
4. replacement exhaust for your car
5. a tablet(which is a ton more useful then a 3ds ever will be)
6. a replacement phone
7. $150 can make or break 1 months rent
8. 4 new brakes pads installed
and there is plenty more that i can list but im not going to because it will take to long but you get the idea

Last edited:

Yuoaman

Years
The 3DS has been out for almost two years now, if you think putting aside a couple of bucks a month for two years is too much, then I'd honestly recommend a hobby less expensive than gaming. My family has, for most of my life up to this point, been subsisting on quite a ways down below the poverty line in Canada, and I was able to set aside enough money for a 3DS. This is also not a new phenomena, the original DS was this expensive when the fourth generation came out, and we all remember how absolutely no one paid the money for them and the Pokemon franchise died out, right?

Years
The 3DS has been out for almost two years now, if you think putting aside a couple of bucks a month for two years is too much, then I'd honestly recommend a hobby less expensive than gaming. My family has, for most of my life up to this point, been subsisting on quite a ways down below the poverty line in Canada, and I was able to set aside enough money for a 3DS. This is also not a new phenomena, the original DS was this expensive when the fourth generation came out, and we all remember how absolutely no one paid the money for them and the Pokemon franchise died out, right?

if someone bought their kid a DSi last year because they wanted to play black 2 and white 2, is that same person going to buy their kid a 3ds AND the new pokemon game this year because he wants the new pokemon game?
hell no, not unless they know they can afford it

like i said when i bought my 3ds, the reason i bought it was because it was $140 OTD, and a new DSi was $150 OTD, i would have been retarded to pay more for last generations console but then again im a smart consumer who has a little bit of interest in gaming and i know a good deal when i see one

now with that said please dont talk to me about expensive hobbies, i just dumped over 1k into my 370z(wet Nos kit with a retune to make sure i dont blow up my engine) last week because i felt like it, but i am also a responsible adult and i make sure i pay my bills and i make sure i have my priorities straight, if my daily driver were to break, i would have used the money i saved up to fix that instead of modifying my car

like i said my response is to those little kids who go around saying money is nothing and a game console is cheap because those kids clearly havent lived in the real world

Yuoaman

Years
So you decided you were the perfect person to lecture people on spending money frivolously when you "just dumped over 1k into my 370z(wet Nos kit with a retune to make sure i dont blow up my engine) last week because i felt like it (sic)"?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
its been a while since i have logged in here but i logged in just to say this to you(so you should feel special)

people have bills to pay, and people have families to feed
just because you are handed everything doesnt everyone else is, rainy days happen and if you had to choose between spending $200(after taxes and everything because i know most kids dont calculate tax with their purchase) on a 3ds or $200 to fix your car so you can keep your family fed, and a roof over your head, i think most sane people will spend that $200 on their car

you have a lot of growing up to do kid if you think like that

ON TOPIC:
i feel the new pokemon games are not going to sell well, most people dont buy the latest and greatest console for their kids, heck i only got my 3ds because it cost less to buy then a dsi xl was last year(christmas special) and the only game i bought was star fox 64 for nostalgia purposes, and honestly the new pokemon games look really low quality as far as graphics and gameplay went, no high res images, terrible camera angles, and bad animations. the pokemon on the other hand look amazing but thats it really, and even though everything is subject to change, i dont think it will change much from the launch trailer

EDIT:
wow reading through this thread, it seems there are a lot of spoiled kids here
who ever thinks $150 isnt a lot of money is either a spoiled kid, or an adult mooching off someone else
let me list out what you can buy for $150
1. a months worth of groceries
2. 2 cheap tires
3. 1-2 months worth of gas
4. replacement exhaust for your car
5. a tablet(which is a ton more useful then a 3ds ever will be)
6. a replacement phone
7. $150 can make or break 1 months rent
8. 4 new brakes pads installed
and there is plenty more that i can list but im not going to because it will take to long but you get the idea

I don't mooch.
I pay my own credit card and half the utlities where I live.
150 is a weeks worth of groceries at best in my house, four adults+ reoccuring guests, not to mention we eat out a lot.
I make MAYBE 300 in two weeks, on a good paycheck.
I have had to earn everything I own since I was 7, so I have personally saved for every nintendo system and majority of my games on my own.

Please do not presume to know what everyone is capable of. I agree that 170 for a game system is not that much nor that hard. I can easily do it on minimum wage and have seen others do the same with less income. I work in a toystore. Since the news of pokemon x and y, i have seen 20 returns od dsi systems for 3ds' so parents will shell out for their kids if they ask for them.

As i said before, this is how nintendo has been doing business for 20 + years. Its not going to change, and those that know this just shell out asap. Pokemon won't lose any sales, and if Animal Crossing is anything to go by, they stand to make more than normal projected sales. So no, its realy not that hard. May take a bit of financial manuvering for those who make less than minimum wage/survive on tips, but saving a little on the side of each check in place of immediate recreational spending will allow you to get them within a month or two depending on check size/expendature rate.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years

Crystal version was exclusive to the Game Boy Color.

Guy

just a guy
Years
It's actually kind of ironic that you're preaching about the value of money and your username contains one of California's most iconic zip codes and you just spent over $1k on your sports car. But to each their own. Anyway...
if someone bought their kid a DSi last year because they wanted to play black 2 and white 2, is that same person going to buy their kid a 3ds AND the new pokemon game this year because he wants the new pokemon game?
hell no, not unless they know they can afford it
If someone wanted to buy their kid a DSi so they can play Black 2 and White 2, then with a little research on the internet and they could have put in a few extra bucks and gotten them the 3DS instead since it can also play DS games. I've seen parents looks ask questions online for that sort of stuff. Even here, they've done it before.

Also, there's eBay or Amazon available where they can put the DSi up for sale and use that money to help pay for a 3DS. Also, places like GameStop where you could trade it in and cut the price off of purchasing a new handheld. There are ways to help reduce costing expenses if need be.

Another thing, no one has to go out and buy a 3DS or these games on release day. There's time to save up little by little for it and it won't be disappearing anytime soon.

Pokémon is ultimately a hobby, and one who's played Pokémon for awhile should always be aware that whenever new handheld systems or consoles come out, it's 99.9% guaranteed there will come a time when Pokémon shifts to making games solely for those newer systems. It has happened before, and it'll keep happening again. It's just the way the world of video gaming and technology works.

And as for kids yapping about how cheap $150 might be, well, maybe they are lucky and have the money to spare or they have someone who can buy it for them. Eventually, their time comes when they have to learn the importance of budget and the value of money. That's just life.

But the 3DS isn't going to kill Pokémon, and I doubt it's going to hurt the franchise very much either. People will buy a 3DS to get the games if they really want them, and if they can't afford it right away, then when they can, they will.

Years
So you decided you were the perfect person to lecture people on spending money frivolously when you "just dumped over 1k into my 370z(wet Nos kit with a retune to make sure i dont blow up my engine) last week because i felt like it (sic)"?
..... because quoting part of my post to benefit you makes you look cool

i saved up that money over the course of a few months, im tallking to those kids who think money grows on trees,$150 is not cheap but if i wanted to i could blow the extra $600 i have every month on new games and other electronics but instead of doing that i save it in case i run into problems down the line and i dont foolishly spend money, yes it may seem like spending $1k on a car is foolish but i wanted to do it and i did so by saving up my money and not cutting into my finances, just like how you wanted to spend your saved money on a 3ds and you did so

if you failed to see that in my post then you probably deserve to live below the poverty line, people are not poor, they just have poor money management
It's actually kind of ironic that you're preaching about the value of money and your username contains one of California's most iconic zip codes and you just spent over $1k on your sports car. But to each their own. Anyway...

yes but i saved up that money because that was something i wanted to do and i planned it all out but i wouldnt have dumped that money into my car if something were to go south(like my daily driver breaking down, or if i got sick and had to pay hospital bills, ect.)
And as for kids yapping about how cheap $150 might be, well, maybe they are lucky and have the money to spare or they have someone who can buy it for them. Eventually, their time comes when they have to learn the importance of budget and the value of money. That's just life.
this is the point im trying to make, kids who dont know the value of a dollar will have a lot to learn later on in life, it just drives me crazy when children go around saying $150 is cheap acting like money grows on trees because they never have had to manage their own finances before, or have never had to pay bills before

But the 3DS isn't going to kill Pokémon, and I doubt it's going to hurt the franchise very much either. People will buy a 3DS to get the games if they really want them, and if they can't afford it right away, then when they can, they will.
well for starters i never said the 3ds will kill pokemon, i just said in my honest opinion, the new pokemon games dont look all that great, will that stop everyone from buying it? no, will that stop some people from buying it? yes....

same thing with the whole pokemon moving to 3ds, will it stop some people from buying it? yes, will it stop everyone? nope, there are going to be people who will buy their kids games because they want them and they just want to make their kid happy(which i can understand)

i personally dont have high hopes for the game, but then again that is just my opinion(all posted in my original response)

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2013
I have friends, who haven't touched a pokemon game since Red and Blue; who went out and bought a 3ds just for the games. I think it'll help sells

Yuoaman

Years
..... because quoting part of my post to benefit you makes you look cool

i saved up that money over the course of a few months, im tallking to those kids who think money grows on trees,$150 is not cheap but if i wanted to i could blow the extra $600 i have every month on new games and other electronics but instead of doing that i save it in case i run into problems down the line and i dont foolishly spend money, yes it may seem like spending $1k on a car is foolish but i wanted to do it and i did so by saving up my money and not cutting into my finances, just like how you wanted to spend your saved money on a 3ds and you did so

if you failed to see that in my post then you probably deserve to live below the poverty line, people are not poor, they just have poor money management

yes but i saved up that money because that was something i wanted to do and i planned it all out but i wouldnt have dumped that money into my car if something were to go south(like my daily driver breaking down, or if i got sick and had to pay hospital bills, ect.)

this is the point im trying to make, kids who dont know the value of a dollar will have a lot to learn later on in life, it just drives me crazy when children go around saying $150 is cheap acting like money grows on trees because they never have had to manage their own finances before, or have never had to pay bills before

well for starters i never said the 3ds will kill pokemon, i just said in my honest opinion, the new pokemon games dont look all that great, will that stop everyone from buying it? no, will that stop some people from buying it? yes....

same thing with the whole pokemon moving to 3ds, will it stop some people from buying it? yes, will it stop everyone? nope, there are going to be people who will buy their kids games because they want them and they just want to make their kid happy(which i can understand)

i personally dont have high hopes for the game, but then again that is just my opinion(all posted in my original response)

I wasn't trying to look "cool", I was quoting an example of frivolity that you provided me. And if you believe that people aren't poor for reasons other than poor money management, you are seriously deluded. I'm sorry my father didn't foresee he was going to die in an accident and make sure the company he had just started working for would ensure that his insurance kick in a week earlier, that was really poor management on the part of my family.

Years
Is there a way to play Pokemon "legally" on a bigger screen? something like the super gameboy that allowed you to play game boy games on the super nintendo using your tv screen?

i believe 3ds capture can let you do it but it costs like $400 to install iirc

I wasn't trying to look "cool", I was quoting an example of frivolity that you provided me. And if you believe that people aren't poor for reasons other than poor money management, you are seriously deluded. I'm sorry my father didn't foresee he was going to die in an accident and make sure the company he had just started working for would ensure that his insurance kick in a week earlier, that was really poor management on the part of my family.

cool story bro

i say people cant manage money well because look at america, the average cell phone bill here is $100, everyone has a smartphone, and i have seen people who say they are always broke and poor yet they can spend $150+/month on 2 cell phones

if you actually broke down what you make and what you spend, you will realize there are places that can be saved and there are alot of unnecessary spending

Last edited:

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
i say people cant manage money well because look at america, the average cell phone bill here is $100, everyone has a smartphone, and i have seen people who say they are always broke and poor yet they can spend $150+/month on 2 cell phones

if you actually broke down what you make and what you spend, you will realize there are places that can be saved and there are alot of unnecessary spending

There's really no point in arguing over this over the internet, especially since I don't think you really... understand.

I think if you actually got to live the lives of people who live in poverty, you will see that you are... not well informed. There are people that have no money to manage.

Or maybe you're just referring to people who do have the money, but claim they don't... as in, you weren't actually referring to poverty, but to middle-class (and above) people with bad spending habits. And my apologies if such is the case.

Otherwise, you can think whatever you want. After all, who am I to tell you what to believe?

Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2013
I don't think it will be an issue. I'm a prime example that it won't affect sales. I don't have a terrible amount of extra money lying around, I'm a university student who needs to pay for classes and living expenses, but after X and Y were announced on 3DS, I did some creative workarounds like trading in my dsi xl for credit and putting it towards a 3DS. the people complaining about this should have been taking advantage of the 3 week long boxing "week" sales for stores like gamestop, future shop and best buy and bought 3DSes for cheaper or traded in their old games/DSes for more trade value instead of whining.

Back