• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Importance of Custom Tilesets to the Player

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2016
From the perspective of playing a ROM hack, how important is it that the hack features custom tilesets? From what I can tell, the most popular hacks use them, but is that a correlation or a causation? Just wanted to hear other's input, as I'm currently in the process of developing a ROM hack. I'm using the stock FireRed tiles for now, as I don't really have a problem with them, but I don't want to get too far along in what I'm doing if no one is going to be interested in the hack because of the tiles.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Well, for me custom tilesets/graphics define can define the very hack, it emphasizes the creator's originality. To top it all, some tilesets look far better than GameFreak's. After all, who wouldn't get tired of playing with the same tiles for more than 5 years? So yeah, hooray to custom tilesets. ^U^

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
As long as the hack itself is good, custom tiles aren't necessary. They will maybe make it look more appealing but honestly its a lot of work, if you change the style you need a completely new tileset otherwise the tiles will clash. If I were to make another hack I'd definitely recommend sticking to the defaults, or at least not straying too far from them so you don't have to change much.

I find many of the custom tiles and especially palettes to be too much sometimes.

I'm of the type that isn't wowed by graphics and is more into gameplay and story, so stock tiles with the occasional custom tile or two when needed (as long as its in the same style and blends in) is more than enough for me.

You want your hack to be good before you want your hack to be pretty.

BadEgg~

Pokémon: Volant Version Developer
Years
Whether or not a hack has custom tilesets or not doesn't make a difference to me when choosing a hack to play. However, if custom tiles are in a hack they've got to be coherent and well drawn. I also don't particularly like it when people port Gen IV tiles into Gen III ROM hacks. It just doesn't look good. Ever.

Years
They're generally worse, so you might say they're rarely an improvement. It seems suspicious that beginners aren't cautioned from doing such things, but instead told to just throw things at things as a base-line, despite which it usually turns out to be to the detriment of the game. Obviously, if people wished to say something about the given games, then changing the tile-set wouldn't help, just as a reference to other GB games wouldn't necessarily be improved by more colourful tile-sets, but might instead imply roughening them up, although this would rarely be necessary in certain contexts. If you're already changing the dialogue, the locations, the setting, the journey (which in Pokémon games is generally basically the same, anyway, so whatever), perhaps even the sprites and characters, and such, then in all likelihood people wouldn't organically care about the tile-set anyway. It doesn't change the game into a different one.

If you want the tile-set changed, you'd actually want something different, of some form, but you don't want to admit it. This might make it seem questionable. Now, hacks which begin by overloading such areas as tile-sets with shininess without any particularly coherent focus on the game, will tend to therefore not be given much room for actually changing the game-play substantially, other than being quite cramped in gameplay terms while doing so, and as such they will tend to be basically the original game without much coherence or continuity. However, this needn't make the tile-sets unuseable, just problematic. You might want to turn your priorities elsewhere, because realistically people aren't just out there for tile-sets - as if they liked Pokémon in lieu of Dali or Watteau - and if they seem to be then they're lying about what they're really into.

BluRose

blu rass
Years
To be honest, I really like custom tiles--when done right, haha.
Granted, it is the main reason I started hacking: It seemed desirable to just make one's own Pokémon game.
Besides, I don't like GameFreak's default, but that's just me.

scotchkorean27

Programmer/Pastry Enthusiast
Years
Custom tiles in my opinion have always been more of a secondary feature. High quality custom tiles are to me a sign of dedication to the product, and while it adds more to the experience, its more a byproduct of good work than anything else.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Personally, I don't care about changed tilesets in a game. What matters to me is whether you can make engaging gameplay. That said, it can be nice to see new tilesets, as they provide a nice new look for the games. However, new tilesets can be dangerous as I can't tell you how many times a poorly done new tileset has ruined a game for me, and sometimes the "best" tilesets just look wrong to me -- there is such a thing as being too "new" or graphically detailed.

The unfortunate trend that I've noticed with a lot of people that play hacks is that it's all about the graphics, and a lot of new hackers get it in their minds that they need to cater to this type of player in order to have a "cool" or "popular" hack. Well, don't. I won't say specifically, but I'm sure any relatively experienced member can at least think of one or two hacks that are absurdly popular because they look nice, but that will never go anywhere because graphics are all the creator can think about, and this is a trend that never seems to go away.

I'll just end this with a request because I kinda lost where I was going with this: if you're going to make a hack, don't make it with the expectation that you need new graphics, and players, don't expect new graphics when you should be expecting a well-written story.

Back