• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon TCG mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
For an AI looking forward, why not do the opposite of the AI does? What I mean is, in Pokemon Essentials, the AI checks for moves, type advantages, etc. So why not so something similar-ish, but on the player's side? so check the players energy to attacks, types, etc. just an Idea

Also, in terms of effects, why not define the basic ones with parameters(e.g. Many cards have multiplication damage, based on coin flips. So why not have an effect of, flip a coin x times, attack does Y times the number of b. So the function code, if I'm not mistaken, assuming the code is 012, then coin is getting flipped twice, and it is times 50, and it's based on heads, then the code would be 012(2, 50, true). Not sure if valid though) It's just an idea, but would really help save space

Last edited:

TheDarkShark

Metal Headed Hacker
Years
Sorry it took me so long, I had some trouble with a virus and needed to setup windows anew. BUT I managed to save most my data, so here you go:
(The colorful stuff in the background is a placeholder for card images)
overviewl.png

Oookay, explanation time - in the top-left we have #1, top-right is #2, center-left is #3 and so on:
#1 - Pokémon Card summary page 1: pretty self-explanatory, right? The red stuff would only be visible during battle, since it is unneeded, even unchanged information during deck construction etc.
#2 - Pokémon Card summary page 2:the idea is, that you scroll through moves and PokéBody / PokéPower and press A (if we were using a GBA, idk what the corresponding keyboard key for RMXP is) to jump to something similar to screen #4, only that the top-bar would still contain the HP value and element symbol. The dark line between the PokéBody and the moves would not always be placed under the first entry, but under the last PokéBody / -Power.
#3 - Trainer Card summary page 1: the card image and the cardname. Shouldn't be hard to implement, right?
#5 (yup, I skipped #4, you'll see why) - Energy Card summary page 1: the only page for basic energies, since they don't need much information
#4 - Trainer / Special Energy Card summary page 2: you've guessed it by now, right? The card's effect is shown. Yay!

Very well, that's pretty much it. I'll put a *.zip-file in the attachements, containing the *.pdn-files, the preview and the finished *.png-files.

Since I don't seem to be able shut my mouth any longer, I'll comment on my own post, concerning the suggested code: Even though you could use events for the moves (like 'Move1Used.Invoke();' 'Move2Used.Invoke();' and 'PokePowerUsed.Invoke();') I'd recommend using OOP instead, since then you could just say Pokemon.Moves[0..3].Use(), assuming there was a pokemon with, like, 2 PokePowers and 2 moves. PokeBodies don't need to be counted, since they aren't manually activated, if I remember correctly. Then, you'd have to use lots of objects, of course.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I've not been doing anything with this recently, due to working on Essentials instead. Motivation is another factor.

I really don't think the card summary screen is that important right now. I'd much rather get something technical working (like the Library) than be able to look at a card's details.

TheDarkShark, I'm not sure what you mean by saying that the coloured background will be a card image. The screen is the wrong shape for a card, for one.

I was thinking that the card summary screen would be identical regardless of where it was accessed from. That is, it wouldn't show damage/status/energy - that can be shown on the battlefield itself.

so could we use this as a way to make our own tcg based games?
It will work just like the Pokémon TCG, but you can easily create your own cards for it. It's intended to be a kit, like Essentials, so you can take it and make a game out of it.

Maruno

Years
Yes, once it exists. It is being developed as an add-on for Essentials (although of course it can be used instead of regular Pokémon battles rather than in addition to them).

TheDarkShark

Metal Headed Hacker
Years
Maybe we just do our work very differently. Like I said, I like to start with the very basic stuff and build everything around it. Anyway, should you have read my previous posts, you might've noticed that I did mention some of my ideas concerning the library and the battle system.
Anyway, when I referred to the card image, I was actually referring to the card's artwork panel. I didn't measure the side ratio, so I'm not too sure it actually fits perfectly, but I didn't have any Pokémon Cards at hand when I did the layout.
Concerning the battle info on the card summary screen; I think it might really come in handy for players planning their turn while looking through all the cards on the field and their hand. Assume you would have to constantly switch between the battle field screen and the summary screen. That'd be pretty annoying, since there can be 2x5 (bench) + 2x1 (active) + 1 (stadium) + 7 (hand) = 20 cards of interest, not even counting (special-)energy cards. I imagine it to be a lot more comfortable to use L and R or something to swicth from one card's summary to another one's. In that case, the player should be able to see information, such as a pokémon's HP and status. Also, it's just one boolean variable to consider (since you need to render the info anyway, you can probably just copy the draw-logic), it can't be such a pain to implement that with Ruby, can it? I know, you had a similar discussion about the filters already, I just want you to consider it before just scrapping the idea for simplicity.

cYa

Maruno

Years
I have read all the posts in this thread, and absorbed the information therein (although perhaps not some of the more techy stuff since I'm not at that stage yet). Please bear this in mind even if I don't respond to it all - I write it down and think about it a lot.

Anyway...

Progress update
See attached. Yes, it's the Card Library screen (and the Deck Builder screen). What you see is actually coded and actually works... pretty much. All graphics can easily be placeholders if better artwork comes along.

The Library shows 9 cards at once, each with an icon and quantity. Each pocket displays the number of cards in it. Ignore the item icon overlapping with the card picture, because I've not done that yet. Moving between pockets is the same as for the Bag, i.e. left and right.

Selecting a card allows you to either examine or toss it. You can toss any cards that aren't being used in a deck - if you try to toss more than are spare, the game will say so and ask if you want to toss just the spare ones instead.

Filters are fully supported, although I've only bodged one in so far ("Basic Pokémon only", as you can see in the screenshot). The pocket quantity doesn't change even if you apply filters. Filters are per-pocket and persistent. Once a GUI has been invented to allow filter toggling, it will be available from a menu which pops up by pressing Alt - this menu will also contain a "Remove all filters" option and a couple of sorting options (alphabetical, "smart"). The exact filter/sorting options are undecided so far. Free sorting (like in most of the Bag's pockets) is also available, and applying a sort option is a one-off rearranging action when selected rather than constant reins.

The Deck Builder is built on the Library, and does whatever it can do. However, cards cannot be tossed. The numbers in each pocket's tab indicate how many cards from that pocket are in the deck; again, these numbers are unaffected by filters. Adding/removing cards from the deck is done by pressing S/D. There is already a 4-cards-of-the-same-name restriction, but it doesn't apply to Basic Energy cards. The deck list cannot be filtered or sorted, and will always be arranged in the "smart" way (see below).

The Alt options menu will also contain a "Rename Deck" option, and an option to change the deck's icon - the icon is decoration only, and separate to the "incomplete/complete/main deck" icon.

It is intended that decks can be left incomplete, unless it is the main deck which must be complete.

--------------------

The "smart" sorting method is a bit involved. The cards are first grouped into types, with monsters coming before trainers coming before energies. Trainers are then divided into trainers/stadium/item/whatever, with each group in alphabetical order, and energies are similar but with basic/special types. Pokémon are grouped together according to evolution family (in ascending order), and are then put into element super-groups according to the type of the first Pokémon in that group (e.g. Eevee-related cards will be in the Colourless group).

The only part of this I've done so far is the "monsters then trainers then energies" for decks only. Coding the other aspects of it, particularly the evolution family grouping, will be... interesting.

--------------------

There are many things still to do before the Library/Deck Builder is actually usable. There is no "choose deck to work on" screen yet, nor a way to save/discard changes. The aforementioned filters and sorting options need to be created. And so on. I just thought you might like to know what's going on.

EDIT: I couldn't attach a file when I made this post, so I had to create it then edit it before I was allowed to attach the screenshots. Seems like a bug with the forum to me.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Wow man it looking so great, i will like to play this and make game with this or import it into my game and make a tournament with card game haha :D.

Maruno

Years
A whole single response to my last post in nearly 2 months. Wow.

I've done almost nothing in this project since my last post, due to lack of interest and my working on Essentials instead. Recently, I've wanted to get started on the duel scripts, which meant I needed a design. So I hacked up screenshots of Asobikata and made the attached. They still need tidying up, of course.

The idea is that everything will take place on one of three views of the playing field (player's side, centre or opponent's side), ideally with a smooth scrolling between each one. There'll be a few sub-screens too (e.g. one for choosing a prize card, one for listing cards to choose from), but they'll be overlaid on the field. It's very ambitious, I know.

There's just enough space for 2 Active Pokémon, but not if either is paralysed or asleep (which rotates the card sideways; I could forego card rotations in favour of status icons instead). Double battles aren't something I'm worrying about right now, though.

Opinions?

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
A whole single response to my last post in nearly 2 months. Wow.

I've done almost nothing in this project since my last post, due to lack of interest and my working on Essentials instead. Recently, I've wanted to get started on the duel scripts, which meant I needed a design. So I hacked up screenshots of Asobikata and made the attached. They still need tidying up, of course.

The idea is that everything will take place on one of three views of the playing field (player's side, centre or opponent's side), ideally with a smooth scrolling between each one. There'll be a few sub-screens too (e.g. one for choosing a prize card, one for listing cards to choose from), but they'll be overlaid on the field. It's very ambitious, I know.

There's just enough space for 2 Active Pokémon, but not if either is paralysed or asleep (which rotates the card sideways; I could forego card rotations in favour of status icons instead). Double battles aren't something I'm worrying about right now, though.

Opinions?

I think this looks really nice. It could definitely use some touching up, but I really like it. I hope this happens, because I love the TCG games.

Maruno

Years
I think this looks really nice. It could definitely use some touching up, but I really like it. I hope this happens, because I love the TCG games.
Do you have any useful comments, such as what you think needs touching up? I don't have a perfect idea of what it's going to be like and how it'll work, so opinions are very welcome.

I think you should add online facility with it so we can play together with each other :D
I'd rather make something first, and then worry about unnecessary stuff like that afterwards.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Do you have any useful comments, such as what you think needs touching up? I don't have a perfect idea of what it's going to be like and how it'll work, so opinions are very welcome.

I'd rather make something first, and then worry about unnecessary stuff like that afterwards.

The main thing I noticed is the prize card area needs to be bigger. You will need to fit 6 cards for most duels. I'm not really a fan of the color, but that's just my opinion. Other that that it looks nice

Maruno

Years
I came up with the attached for the 6-prizes version. I know there's limited space, but you can always "zoom in" to them if you need to. I remember seeing one card while randomly browsing Bulbapedia (I like to look at the cards and imagine how to make them work) which allows you to increase the number of prize cards, so I don't yet know how that's going to work. It's a minor worry at the moment.

Eventually the project will support the choosing of which backgrounds to use. The green was just ripped from the Asobikata game (and I happen to like it - it's like a felt card table).

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
I came up with the attached for the 6-prizes version. I know there's limited space, but you can always "zoom in" to them if you need to. I remember seeing one card while randomly browsing Bulbapedia (I like to look at the cards and imagine how to make them work) which allows you to increase the number of prize cards, so I don't yet know how that's going to work. It's a minor worry at the moment.

Eventually the project will support the choosing of which backgrounds to use. The green was just ripped from the Asobikata game (and I happen to like it - it's like a felt card table).

In that case everything seems great. I really hope this is continued and implemented into essentials.

Maruno

Years
It's not going to be included with Essentials. It's just a side project of mine which will require Essentials to run.

I don't like making promises, because I don't know when I'll lose interest in this again (or stop having time to work on it), but I may have an alpha ready at some point in January. So far I've got the Library/Deck Builder (mentioned earlier in this thread), and I'm working on the duel system at the moment. I'm quite proud of it, actually.

Maruno

Years
I'm beginning to think no one's actually interested in this. I was hoping for a bit more activity.

What would you like to see in an alpha? Bear in mind that, because it'd be an alpha, it will be a rough-and-ready affair and not in a reasonable playable condition which you could immediately use in a game. Proof of concept, if you will.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
I'm interested in this. I loved the Gameboy TCG game. I still play it from time to time. How many cards do you have implemented so far? All you need for an alpha are two different decks. I'd love to try it out.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I'm really interested!

Love the TCG, and would love even more to just have a go against the AI every once in a while since I'm apparently "too old" to play with Pokemon cards at school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back