• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

who else is not a big fan of eeveelutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
i don't know about you, and i'm probably not gonna make any friends by posting this, but i don't see the appeal of eeveelutions, and in my opinion they don't deserve as much love as they get.

first of all, they just look like your average cookie-cutter fox/cat, there seems to be nothing special about eevee or its evolutions. eevee is cute, but it lacks any form of originality, unlike something such as ninetales, snivy or conkeldurr. its evolutions are cute, but again, no originality. this means they steal all the spotlight from pokemon that deserve more love, such as abomasnow (glaceon), alakazam (espeon), honchkrow (umbreon) or clefable (sylveon).

second, eeveelutions are decent, but they are outclassed. they have poor movepools, gamefreak seems to lazily rearrange their stats and call it a day. like i'd never use glaceon over weavile or kyurem, or vaporeon over blastoise. like why would i only benefit from 130 special attack and meh speed/bulk when i can get excellent speed, swords dance and dark stab (weavile) or get stab draco meteor, moves such as earth power and focus blast, and roost (kyurem)? besides sylveon, which has pixilate hyper voice, eeveelutions are ridiculously outclassed both in-game and competitively.

and third, and most of all, they are EXTREMELY overrated, and most of them are considered female by fans, even though they all have a 87.5% chance to be male lol. i get eevee is marketable and all, but so is mewtwo.

i'd like to know your opinion on this, because seriously i think eeveelutions are severely overrated and steal spotlight from other underrated pokemon. when comparing espeon to alakazam, what i see in espeon is a decent pokemon that completely fails in tough situations, while alakazam is a much more reliable partner for your adventures. (and pls give me a break with trades and crap)

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Hmm i get that unlike other fox pokemon, the eevee line have a canine/feline mix (since that's what foxes are, dogs who acts like cats), but hate the eevees? Why?

and third (...) and most of them are considered female by fans, even though they all have a 87.5% chance to be male lol.

Well i first saw pokemon in german, and all of (generation 1) eeveelutions have an "a" at the end (in poland all names that end with an "a" a female, expect for Kuba (cute name for Jacob)) so i thought "Maybe Eevee is male and it's evolutions are female" note that Blitza (Jolteon/Thunders) is close to a male name than Flamara and Aquana sooooo

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 22, 2017
Hmm i get that unlike other fox pokemon, the eevee line have a canine/feline mix (since that's what foxes are, dogs who acts like cats), but hate the eevees? Why?

Well i first saw pokemon in german, and all of (generation 1) eeveelutions have an "a" at the end (in poland all names that end with an "a" a female, expect for Kuba (cute name for Jacob)) so i thought "Maybe Eevee is male and it's evolutions are female" note that Blitza (Jolteon/Thunders) is close to a male name than Flamara and Aquana sooooo

In real life it seems that most people, when meeting a cat or dog for the first time, often jump to the assumption the former is female and the latter is male.
Probably something instinctual about males being more dominant than the elegant females.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
Years

I actually find that every eeveelution has a pretty cute, creative, and unique design.

I don't agree that the eeveelutions are all outclassed. Some are and some aren't! Glaceon is outclassed. Leafeon, is outclassed too. A couple of the other forms have viable alternatives but I wouldn't consider them too outclassed (or outclassed at all really).. I've been super successful with Vaporeon, Sylveon and Espeon and I don't think any of them are at all replaceable.

But on to their movepools: the Eeveelutions don't have very wide offensive movepools, but because they have a nice list of support moves I don't see the problem with that. I'll name some for you! Wish, Morning Sun, Moonlight, Baton Pass, Heal Bell, and Yawn. These good moves are what make defensive Eeveelution sets so effective. I don't think anything can pull off baton pass sets off the same way an Eevee can, or wish stall like a Vaporeon or a Sylveon.

On to the point that Eeveelutions are overrated: um, that's really a matter of personal taste! Same applies for your opinion that the Eevee forms are generic and lack originality. I've already stated that I like their designs, and I'm sure many others do too. Of course you can disagree with me though :)

Years
I actually love the Eeveelutions. They are cute but they all have different traits and are popular with many fans in general, and some of them are great competitively as well. I do love the designs of most, notably Vaporeon, Sylveon and Glaceon.

Last edited:

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I think Eeveelutions are pretty popular because it's based from Eevee which evolves to either cute or cool evolutions that appeal to most of the Pokémon fans, including myself (in my case, I like Glaceon, Leafeon and Sylveon the most). They usually tend to have good movepools, as well. Even though I may like it, that doesn't mean that you must force yourself to like it if you don't, it's anyone's opinion. :)

NidoKingdra

Envy The Dead
Years
Umbreon for life, and Honchrow is an ugly turd. There ya go. >.>

I think eevee and friends are alright, the designs are nice too. Umbreon is one of my favorite pokemon so I am probably biased.... but he's a good healer/stall type, like mentioned earlier about a few others.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years

I actually find that every eeveelution has a pretty cute, creative, and unique design.

I don't agree that the eeveelutions are all outclassed. Some are and some aren't! Glaceon is outclassed. Leafeon, is outclassed too. A couple of the other forms have viable alternatives but I wouldn't consider them too outclassed (or outclassed at all really).. I've been super successful with Vaporeon, Sylveon and Espeon and I don't think any of them are at all replaceable.

But on to their movepools: the Eeveelutions don't have very wide offensive movepools, but because they have a nice list of support moves I don't see the problem with that. I'll name some for you! Wish, Morning Sun, Moonlight, Baton Pass, Heal Bell, and Yawn. These good moves are what make defensive Eeveelution sets so effective. I don't think anything can pull off baton pass sets off the same way an Eevee can, or wish stall like a Vaporeon or a Sylveon.

On to the point that Eeveelutions are overrated: um, that's really a matter of personal taste! Same applies for your opinion that the Eevee forms are generic and lack originality. I've already stated that I like their designs, and I'm sure many others do too. Of course you can disagree with me though
1.%20smile.gif

I agree the eeveelutions are cute, but they really lack originality. Any 6-year old could come up with that...

If you have been successful with Vap, Sylv or Espy that's fine, and I tried using Espeon on a hyperoffense team but failed miserably. The thing is that Vaporeon is imo outclassed by other water mons with better defensive capabilities (Mega Blastoise, Suicune Tentacruel) and offensively by Keldeo and Manaphy. Sylveon is good, but faces competition from Clefable. And Espeon... there are other psychics, like Latios, Alakazam and Reuniclus which simply are better.

Both Vaporeon and Sylveon are outclassed as wish passers by mons such as Clefable, Alomomola and Chansey, which either possess many more support options (Clefable, Chansey) or have much higher bulk + ability (Alomomola has 165 HP and regenerator while Chansey has 250 HP (!!!) + natural cure to lol at status).

Yeah, if anything made eeveelutions usable, it was Baton Pass. There used to be a cancerous strategy of full BP teams that used 3 eeveelutions (the ones you actually mentioned). However, those teams packed Scolipede, which was, in my opinion, the main offender (due to Speed Boost and Iron Defense).

I actually love the Eeveelutions. They are cute but they all have different traits and are popular with many fans in general, and some of them are great competitively as well. I do love the designs of most, notably Vaporeon, Sylveon and Glaceon.

Sylveon is the only one who can take a slot on a serious team, in OU at least. And even then, it isn't THAT great. Sylveon has competition from other fairies (think Clefable) and Choice Specs abusers (think Latios or Dragalge).

None of the eeveelutions are great competitively. Sylveon is the best of them (and it's my favourite eeveelution btw), and apparently someone is having success with Umbreon on the ladder (except umby only fits on very specific stall teams).

Last edited:
Years
I've never really cared about Eeveelutions and I'll probably never use one, but they're a nice and clever concept in my opinion. I mean one Pokemon that's able to evolve into eight different Pokemon? That's pretty cool. Their best attribute about them is that people find them cute which in turn gives them more popularity. Some of them, like Umbreon, I've heard are pretty good for competitive which of course helps with their fan base. So I can't say I hate the little guys, but I'm not necessarily a fan of them either. Like they're cool, but it just feels kinda old now and I can't see their charm anymore.

NidoKingdra

Envy The Dead
Years
Statistically, Umbreon is a much better tank/healer than Sylveon. Same base HP and Special Defense, 110 Defense vs 65 Defense, and Foul Play can quickly put an end to pokemon that are using swords dance. I don't know why it's so overlooked. Maybe because he's UU?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
I have never thought them as anything special and just like other pokemon. However, I wouldnt say all of them are unviable, but more niche. For example, Umbreon would really only work on a stall team. Vaporean is somewhat viable and Sylveon can fill multiple roles.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
I like Eevee and the concept of it, but I think it's extremely overrated, especially since there are so many other Pokemon species out there to choose from. I mean, that's one of the biggest reasons I love Pokemon is because of how diverse it's creatures are, and just feels wasteful to only see the same copy-pasted Pokemon again and again.

Another thing is, with the exception of Jolteon and Sylveon, most of the Eeveelutions aren't really that great competitively, they tend to have poor movepools, most of them don't even learn many of the moves of their type other than through TM/HM (this is actually a common problem with most Pokemon that evolve through evolution stones, Eevee or not), and half of them don't even have good stats (Flareon especially).

I actually rarely use the Eeveelutions other than a few cases (like the Sylveon I used in X for instance) because there are hundreds of other Pokemon I could use instead, the only real reason they're liked so much is because they're cute and appealing, and if anything, feel more like the kind of Pokemon people would keep as pets than use competitively.

As for why most people see them as female (in the PMD games, Eevee players are female only despite the gender ratio in the main series games), its likely because almost all of them look feminine in appearance (though Jolteon is probably the most masculine one), and "cute" Pokemon tend to have that effect on people because "cute" is often associated with "girly" much of the time by many people.

Last edited:

Crystal Berry

Years
I agree the eeveelutions are cute, but they really lack originality. Any 6-year old could come up with that...

If you have been successful with Vap, Sylv or Espy that's fine, and I tried using Espeon on a hyperoffense team but failed miserably. The thing is that Vaporeon is imo outclassed by other water mons with better defensive capabilities (Mega Blastoise, Suicune Tentacruel) and offensively by Keldeo and Manaphy. Sylveon is good, but faces competition from Clefable. And Espeon... there are other psychics, like Latios, Alakazam and Reuniclus which simply are better.

Both Vaporeon and Sylveon are outclassed as wish passers by mons such as Clefable, Alomomola and Chansey, which either possess many more support options (Clefable, Chansey) or have much higher bulk + ability (Alomomola has 165 HP and regenerator while Chansey has 250 HP (!!!) + natural cure to lol at status).

Yeah, if anything made eeveelutions usable, it was Baton Pass. There used to be a cancerous strategy of full BP teams that used 3 eeveelutions (the ones you actually mentioned). However, those teams packed Scolipede, which was, in my opinion, the main offender (due to Speed Boost and Iron Defense).

Sylveon is the only one who can take a slot on a serious team, in OU at least. And even then, it isn't THAT great. Sylveon has competition from other fairies (think Clefable) and Choice Specs abusers (think Latios or Dragalge).

None of the eeveelutions are great competitively. Sylveon is the best of them (and it's my favourite eeveelution btw), and apparently someone is having success with Umbreon on the ladder (except umby only fits on very specific stall teams).
I think you underestimate Vaporeon and Sylveon. Mega Blastoise is good but it takes up a mega slot and doesn't have reliable recovery. Suicune is good but it doesn't have reliable recovery, and the same would apply to Tentacruel only Tentacruel is further hindered by a weakness to ground moves like Earthquake.

Sylveon and Clefable play completely different roles. Sylveon has better special bulk, and immediate power because of Hyper Voice and pixilate, and can support a team with moves such as wish and heal bell. Jolteon's speed makes it a fantastic volt switcher, especially with Choice Specs. Yes Mega Manectric is better, but he takes up a mega slot. :\

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
I think you underestimate Vaporeon and Sylveon. Mega Blastoise is good but it takes up a mega slot and doesn't have reliable recovery. Suicune is good but it doesn't have reliable recovery, and the same would apply to Tentacruel only Tentacruel is further hindered by a weakness to ground moves like Earthquake.

Sylveon and Clefable play completely different roles. Sylveon has better special bulk, and immediate power because of Hyper Voice and pixilate, and can support a team with moves such as wish and heal bell. Jolteon's speed makes it a fantastic volt switcher, especially with Choice Specs. Yes Mega Manectric is better, but he takes up a mega slot. :\

vappy doesn't have rapid spin or calm mind, lacks blastoise's power and tentacruel's resistances + neutrality to grass, suicune's bulk and isn't that hard to overwhelm in the long run. i'll give it credit that it was one of the main pieces of baton pass, though.

as for sylveon, well clefable gets those moves as well, and it packs higher physical bulk, thunder wave and many other attacking options, such as flamethrower and stored power. yes i do agree that sylveon has much better attacking power hence why the specs set is fairly good imo (but definitely not amazing...)

jolteon has no means of getting past hippo besides specs HP ice (which needs prior damage to 2HKO...) and has trouble standing out even when put against heliolisk, which isn't what i would call a good pokemon (worse than sylveon for example). while not as fast, that thing has STAB hyper voice and a wider offensive movepool, which means it can try to defeat hippowdon and other ground-types without needing to predict (+ it gets grass knot). an immunity to water is also really good. there are also mons like thundurus and raikou which have many perks over jolt (either higher initial power, the ability to set up with CM or NP, raikou's ability to use assault vest... you get the point). jolt's problem is that it really doesn't hit hard enough.

Crystal Berry

Years
vappy doesn't have rapid spin or calm mind, lacks blastoise's power and tentacruel's resistances + neutrality to grass, suicune's bulk and isn't that hard to overwhelm in the long run. i'll give it credit that it was one of the main pieces of baton pass, though.

as for sylveon, well clefable gets those moves as well, and it packs higher physical bulk, thunder wave and many other attacking options, such as flamethrower and stored power. yes i do agree that sylveon has much better attacking power hence why the specs set is fairly good imo (but definitely not amazing...)

jolteon has no means of getting past hippo besides specs HP ice (which needs prior damage to 2HKO...) and has trouble standing out even when put against heliolisk, which isn't what i would call a good pokemon (worse than sylveon for example). while not as fast, that thing has STAB hyper voice and a wider offensive movepool, which means it can try to defeat hippowdon and other ground-types without needing to predict (+ it gets grass knot). an immunity to water is also really good. there are also mons like thundurus and raikou which have many perks over jolt (either higher initial power, the ability to set up with CM or NP, raikou's ability to use assault vest... you get the point). jolt's problem is that it really doesn't hit hard enough.

They're different. All the Pokemon we are comparing have advantages and disadvantages over each other and work differently on teams. By pointing out their advantages I wasn't trying to minimize the other Pokemon's advantages but trying to explain that they're not outclassed due to those differences. Megas aside Jolteon's enourmous speed allows it to run very effective specs sets, and that alone prevents it from being outclassed because no other electric types do a better job at this role than Jolteon. I get your points but do you get mine?

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
They're different. All the Pokemon we are comparing have advantages and disadvantages over each other and work differently on teams. By pointing out their advantages I wasn't trying to minimize the other Pokemon's advantages but trying to explain that they're not outclassed due to those differences. Megas aside Jolteon's enourmous speed allows it to run very effective specs sets, and that alone prevents it from being outclassed because no other electric types do a better job at this role than Jolteon. I get your points but do you get mine?

I get what you're saying, and yeah they each have their advantages and disadvantages. The main problem is that in OU, the advantages the eeveelutions sport are either not needed or done better by something else. As I pointed out, Jolteon's speed stat is great, but when you don't hit hard enough and have pretty poor coverage, you kinda have problems. I mean, neither of Jolteon's coverage moves have more than 80BP, which is sad. Jolteon would really love a 120BP or at least 100BP move to hit ground-types with (Grass Knot, which Heliolisk and Thundurus get).

If only Jolteon got Nasty Plot...

Years
Sylveon and Espeon are the only ones worth using battle-wise right now. The rest is pretty much UU and NU. I wouldn't say they're overrated. They just happen to have huge fanbase because of how they look mostly and because they just ARE there. That's just opinion.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Sylveon and Espeon are the only ones worth using battle-wise right now. The rest is pretty much UU and NU. I wouldn't say they're overrated. They just happen to have huge fanbase because of how they look mostly and because they just ARE there. That's just opinion.

espeon isn't worth using either. poor bulk + questionable defensive typing, almost no reason to be used over other psychic-types or magic bouncers.

Raskolnikov

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
You just look at them completely. They are seperated and totally different from each other. I'm not a eeveelutionary fan but I don't see a reason that not to like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back