• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

But...what if I run into a shiny?!

Years
Have you ever been able to do something that would leave you have to fight/run into less wild Pokémon but don't because you get that suspicion a shiny will come out of nowhere? Like, not using Repels, or fighting lots of wild Pokémon to EV train instead of just cutting to the chase with Pokérus and power items? Do you choose to ignore the conveniences for the off-chance that that precious glimmer will throw at you?

I've done this quite a few times in White 2, in not using vitamins and just hoping i'll get a shiny on the crazy chance. It's an impractical chance but it's one i've taken before, even if i've never gotten a shiny from it (but I have encountered some while EV training, in both White 2 and X). But should this count, one time in X while I was headed to Lumiose City I ran into a shiny Absol on Route 8 while I didn't have my Repel going, even if it was unintentional (it was in a challenge).

How about you? Have you ever shut out your easy options on that very off-chance? Has it ever worked out for you? Discuss.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
No, I'm not really that much into shiny Pokemon so that I will waste my time with every wild encounter.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
If I manage to get my hands on some, I always find myself using Repels, haha.

It's fun to be encountering shinies, but chances of us actually running into them is never high, so even if we would like to catch them, we, in most cases, likely won't be able to find any, unless we do work with PokéRadar and whatnot.

I've always thought that encountering shiny Pokémon completely depended on luck; if we don't have enough of them at a certain time or date, regardless of how tough we attempt, we probably won't have much chance of capturing any, unfortunately.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
Years
I only actively stock up on Max Repels towards the end of the game, especially through Victory Road after I've seen all the wild Pokemon to conserve health and PP. Normally though, I don't use and buy Repels unless that particular area has a really annoying encounter rate. It also gives me a chance to see all the Pokemon that I can catch and encounter, Dex and breeding purposes.... the list is endless.

However, it's not for the purpose of running into shinies, or lack thereof. I prefer to obtain shinies through breeding because of the level of customization you're allowed, and probably will end up trading away the shiny even if I get one for Legendaries or rare 6IV/ Events.

pkmin3033

I stock Repels, but I only use them when I want to get from one place to the next as quickly as possible. Usually I don't use them, as I find training goes quicker and easier if I let it come naturally where possible, rather than just doing it all in one go. I'll gain a few levels travelling from place to place, train to reach a target level once I reach said place, then use Repels if I'm going anywhere else. I've never used them because I've been worried about missing shiny Pokemon, though...I like shinies, but not that much. Chances are it'd be an ugly one I wouldn't really want anyway. xD

I stocked Repels and used them liberally in Black, because I swear the random encounter rate in that game was bugged - I would take one step, and I'd encounter something. This happened eleven times consecutively at one point. After that, I started using them constantly after I'd trained sufficiently for the next Gym, otherwise I never got anywhere.

Years
I usually avoid Repels for that reason But Im giving up on that.
Im playing Pokemon games for almost a decade, and guess how many wild shinies I've SEEN? Yeah, that's right, ZERO shinies.

Luckily I am a good Shiny Chainer ;)

Years
As one user above mentioned, some people might prefer to not use Repels as they can beat off wild Pokémon for EXP, which I have done before. And this question can also apply not just to shiny Pokémon, but really rare stuff too like, say, Cryogonal in Twist Mountain/Frost Cavern. I ran into like three in five or six encounters in White once.

Years
Honestly, the chance of getting a shiny is so rare it's not worth worrying about it unless you're in a safari zone. I had a shiny Aipom run away from me once so that's that. I also encountered a shiny Pidgeotto that had Whirlwind but luckily I captured it before it had a chance to use the move.

Thing is, they tend to pop up when you least expect it.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
I typically don't worry about it, but I do think of it sometimes. I'm actually starting up a new file of FireRed for the 34818574737569th time and I've decided not to use repels to try and see if I can find a shiny since I haven't encountered one in a while.

Back