• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Team Astra: v2.0 (Recruiting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Partially

Slow like Shuckle
Years
  • Age 30
  • WA
  • Seen Aug 12, 2012
What are you wanting in the tiles? Like... specific new things, how to you want others re-done, and is there a graphic theme for buildings?

Also, if there are multi-tile images, what size should they be?

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Hey guys I started learning spriting but I can't make things from scratch.. :(

Let me know what you guys think...

I made a Cooltrainer male and female...

View attachment 64665

View attachment 64666

Well I know they can use some editing I just wanted to know what you guys think about it...... :D

:) :) :)

Last edited:
Years
@mineox100: rocks look pretty good :) grass could use some work tho, color wise and design wise. first off, u need a better color combination, more contrast, more variations, so the grass would seem more natural. If your going to detail blades, you gotta make the lines flow and curve, instead of adding random vertical lines. Also, you need to work on eliminating the grid, try applying the grass tile to a large area nd u can see where each tile starts and repeats.

@tajaros: looks good :) scratches are exactly that hard, use photoshop or gimp so u get layers, start with the outline, then color in the next layer and so forth, that way u can always correct whatever u need to. start with basic shapes, and try to plan your work, (pose, features, anatomy, etc.) before u actually start.

@partially: ummm... outkin wanted a PC/Mart building combo, a fountain, and newish buildings for the cities, some snow covered buildings, snow tiles and a tile that links the ice and snow. no1 else has mentioned anything so far. Everything else is a blank slate, so go with whatever style u prefer :) (except its gotta have the 45 deg top down view thing that pokemon always has), then the basics, 16x16 tiles, character height is approx 19 pixels (fr style), trees are 48 pixels high, cliffs are, surprisingly, only 16 pixels high (though we could make em bigger, i guess), buildings have 16x16 pixel doors, but more important than an accurate height portrayal is to make sure they can be tiled, so we can get buildings of variable heights and widths.... thats bout it, i think... if u need any more details, just ask.

not sure of what overworlds we're using, i know there was a discussion about this, but any type of overworld can be used, DPPt, HgSs, RSE, or even custom over worlds, the sizes supported i believe are 32x16, 32x32, 64x64. since all of the games overworlds fit within 32x16, any of em can be used...

@mappers, guys, u should keep on mapping, things like trees, grass, paths will not be added, but overwritten. Make place holders for the buildings/tiles u need, but dont have... dont wait for a complete new tileset-inserted base....

Pokehacker11

a kid with a knack for mapping
Years
Uh... @Ark S.
Can you make that tree in that picture earlier sycronysed with the Tileset 34 Pallete?
I already did a pretty bad job with it. I just thought you might be able to do it better.

Years
lol are we using it? i thought it was fugly kinda weird looking ish :P... nd dude, each tileset uses all 15 palettes (well only like 9 are used ingame, and only 12 are able to be used in AM)

nd i cant believe u were trying to rip it from the picture :P :P that was just to show how they could be used :P, i got all the individual files with me :P... but since we got a tile artist, i was thinking we could give her free reign, let her re-design the tiles in her style?...

just map using the default tiles, when we overwrite the un-needed tiles, it'll all change anyway, then u guys can revisit the maps and fix any tile errors caused by the change....

edit:
i didnt mean to be rude by the second paragraph, i just meant i didnt kno u were inserting it :P if u had asked, i would've sent u the tree :P

Pokehacker11

Years
Oh! That's fine.
Idid rip it from the pic pretty well, though.
I copied it, and sorounded it with black.
Can you post the individual tile then?
Because I really like it.

Years
ur gonna have to palette hack... do u kno how? cuz my tree uses more colors than the default tree, so it can't exactly be converted to the default green palette without screwing up the look...

i did however make it match the default mostly, but u gotta do some work, k? when u first open the block editor, go to palette ----> palette editor, and there will be a bright pink color in palette 0, click on it, change the values to 14 24 10 and click apply. Then go about normally inserting the tile. thats the only way the tree will actually look ok with the changed palette.

unchanged palette:

tree2b.png

changed palette:

tree3.png

i think we should let partially do the tile work from now tho. So just use the default for now :)

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
@Tajaro's sprites They are okay.... But need some work. Do you mind if I spruce it up?
@partially WE FINALLY HAVE A TILER! *rejoices* Ark mentioned all we need atm, so if you could just do those that would be fantastic.
@mappers Could you PM me and Outkin your maps when you are done with them? Or maybe post them in the thread? Either way is fine.
Sorry I haven't been on, busy with other stuff.

Years
oh good, ur back, i wanted to ask you, are v sticking to DPPt overworld style or the FireRed style? either can be used... i think you should finalize that so every1's on the same page :P

mineox100

Hey.
Years
Yay! We have a tiler! :D

By the way, I think this is the mapper's claim right now:

Outkin:
Ice
???

Pokehacker:
Ground (?)
???

Nobo:
Rock
Bug

Me:
Grass
Flying

Last edited:

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
@cosmotone8
Sure you can spruce them up they're my first try on spriting...

OW are really hard if were gonna made an original one....
And we don't have anyone to do those...

Well FRLG OW sounds good..... :D

Partially

Slow like Shuckle
Years
  • Age 30
  • WA
  • Seen Aug 12, 2012
Okay. C: Since you mentioned Pallet, what are color limitations? I looked this up but I want to know what you guys have to say about it in case my info was bad.

And, are you re-doing all tiles? Sorry if it seems repetitive I just want to be clear. •_•; I'm going to start with your specific ones though first anyway, so it's not too urgent to know.

Years
aight so heres a basic rundown:

fire red has 16 usable palettes, however, advance map limits us to 13 (might just be me, but no1 answered when i asked in the AM thread :P)

Each of these palettes have 16 colors each, but the first color in the palette is the transparency color, so we're restricted to 15x12 = 180 colors in total.

Tiles sizes used in game are 16x16, however they are inserted into the rom as 8x8 sections.

Now each tileset can contain tiles that have any of the above palette, however, each individual tile (16x16) can be made up of 4 8x8 subtiles, but each of these 8x8 subtiles must use only 1 of the palettes.

For the sake of ease of inserting tho, dont worry bout 8x8 tiles, just make them all 16x16.

Try to first plan out what palettes ur gonna use overall as well, so u can keep in mind how many colors to use in ur tiles.
For example:

Fire Red uses palette 0 for greens,
so under this palette, grass, trees, bushes, hedges etc are sprited. Now in addition to this, there are 2 brown colors used for the tree trunks.

So before starting a tile, plan which palette ur gonna use (or if ur gonna use a blank one), this way you'll know how many colors u'll have to work with and how many colors u can add, etc.

I hope that was clear :P, if not, just ask me, i'll explain more :).

-------------------------------------------

I was asking bout the overworlds because i was going thru the earlier posts, and all the sprites cosmo made were in DPPt style anyway, but yeah... lets stick to the default style, that way we wont have to replace any of the default npcs we may use.

------------------------------------------------

I still think the mappers should start from the beginning. Are we planning on releasing a complete game? or releasing betas first?

edit:
stupid me. 15x13 = 195 colors total :P

Partially

Slow like Shuckle
Years
  • Age 30
  • WA
  • Seen Aug 12, 2012
Would it be too much to ask if you could set up an image with all of the game's current pallets pasted on? I've spent a while googling this and it's not turning out...
=u=

I want to see them to get an idea of what all they chose for things.~ But if thats too much it's fine too, I'll just closer inspect current tiles.

Years
lol...hmmm... that might take a while... what program are u using if i may ask? i COULD get u a picture with just the colors, but thats all they would be... just colors. Plus it'll take me a while cuz there are around 140ish colors used and i have no idea how to get em other than manually putting each color into the picture 1 by 1. :P I could do it, but with my exams in 2 days, i dont think i'll have time to get to it till atleast the 6th... can u just use random colors till i can do it, if u really need it? we can swap the colors later.

also if u have advance map, u can check the colors each tile uses from the block and palette editor. u can also extract the palette (.pal, .act, etc) and u can also save the tilset with each palette and see whats been used.

but since we are doing a revamp, feel free to use ur own colors, just restrict it to what i stated above (13 palettes, each with 15 usable colors, and 1 transparency color).

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
Years
You got rock and bug nobo. :D

Keep up the good work, working on my own things, going well minus the custom tiles, just wish I had less work on my hands >_< (In real life)

Pokehacker11

Years
I don't think I'm gonna be available until summmer.
You see, i've got to study for my finals.
And my sister needs her "end of year computer time.
She's in the bathroom.
I just heard the toilet flush!
Cya!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back