• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Speed Star

Hey, guys. It's Ocean. Here is my first team. It's a team that is solely based on Speed. Tell me what you tihnk and how I can improve it.

Dark Spirit (Gengar) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Icy Wind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond
- Toxic

The idea behind Dark Spirit is to completely mess up your team. Icy Wind for lowered speed. Will-O-Wisp for halved Attack. Toxic is obvious. Focus Sash + Destiny Bond is deadly. After an Icy Wind, Gengar can use Destiny Bond if the enemies attack did over 1/2 damage. Otherwise, Toxic or WOW.

Dark Raptor (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Fang
- Earthquake
- Sky Drop

My Physical Sweeper. He can get off the SR and then destroy with Coverage to most of his weaknesses and STAB.

Dark Antoid (Durant) (M) @ Scope Lens
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Claw

My OTHER Physical Sweeper. I'll sometimes use Aerodactyl as Set Up Bait for Dark Antoid. X-Scissor and Iron Head for STAB. Rock Slide for coverage. Shadow Claw is just a good move IMO.

Dark Ocean (Starmie) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Surf
- Psychic
- Rapid Spin
- Thunder

My Special Sweeper and Hazard Removal. Not much to explain here.

DarkWildVine (Whimsicott) (M) @ Quick Claw
Trait: Chlorophyll
- Substitute
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- U-turn

Sort of a Last Resort, Tanking...thing. He's got good use in Sub-Beaming and he can use U-Turn to keep the sub up. I think. I haven't actually tested this theory yet.

Dark Thunder (Jolteon) (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Quick Feet
EVs: 168 SAtk / 88 SDef / 252 Spd
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

My OTHER Special Sweeper. Good Set Up for Starmie. HP Ice for Coverage in case Air Balloon goes *POOF*. Shadow Ball is great. Thunder for STAB.

What do you think.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hi there!
Is it just me, or has there been some pretty innovative RMT recently?

Well, you have a neat little team here! There are just a few things I want to mention. When I see Speed Team, I automatically think Dexoys. With its Speed forme, it has a base Speed stat of 180, which is stupid good. Best of all, I think it's actually viable in a competitive environment. So I'm going to recommend a good lead set.

Deoxys-S
@ Focus Sash
Pressure
252 Speed / 252 Special Attack / 4 Attack
Timid [+Speed; -Attack] / Hasty [+Speed; -Defense]
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Magic Coat / Extreme Speed
- Ice Beam / Fire Punch / Signal Beam
- Taunt / Shadow Ball

It sad to say that this generation brought about the downfall of Deoxys-S. Yes, it is the fastest Supporting Pokemon, however, it's just outclassed by other Pokemon with a Prankster or Magic Bounce/Mirror Ability (and Tyranitar being able to OHKO Deoxys-S with Crunch and breaking the Sash with Sand but hey, that's what Signal Beam is for). However, since this is a Speed Team and it's more of a novelty, I'm going to suggest it anyway. Focus Sash is going to keep Deoxys alive. Despite its wicked Speed and somewhat bulk, it's not immune to OHKOs. Your best bet is hoping you OHKO them first. Deoxys-S is the fastest and most reliable Entry Hazard layer ever, so it's very much prized (and best used) for those purposes. Not only that, but Deoxys-S isn't as limited in its movepool as one would imagine. With Magic Coat, Taunt, and Extreme Speed you'll be able to trip up Prankster Pokemon. Even though Prankster Pokemon have been the main reason for Deoxys-S's downfall, it's probably the most well equipped Pokemon to handle them. Anyway, Deoxys-S also has a relatively diverse movepool besides me not mentioning a STAB attack. Ice Beam is going to ensure some serious damage to any opposing Dragons, while Fire Punch is going to take care of any Forretress Leads. Shadow Ball is there to hit anything that isn't Terrakion or Tyranitar.

Anyway, some other Pokemon who have dangerously high Speeds include (but are not limited to), Ninjask, Accelgor, Crobat, Weavile, Dugtrio, Sceptile, Raikou, and Azelf. I also think Electrode fits in there somewhere. Just to name a few. If you want set for any of these guys if your current team doesn't perform too well, then just ask!

On to your Pokemon..

Dark Spirit (Gengar) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 SDef / 252 Spd
- Icy Wind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond
- Toxic

In this case, it's really only the moveset I'm concerned about. Other than that, a Life Orb is viable, at least in the moveset I'm going to suggest, but I don't think a Focus Sash will hurt. And your EVs should be distributed between Speed and Special Attack exclusively with the remainder in HP. Gengar has no real need for Defense. Icy Wind doesn't really do Gengar's amazing Special Attack stat justice and because of its frailty, many status effecting moves will just waste what little Gengar can already do. I recommend, Substitute / Pain Split or Thunderbolt / Focus Blast / Shadow Ball. This way, you can set up a Substitute to prep Focus Blat or Substitute and pull of a Pain Split, which will be more effective assuming that the opponents move would do more to Gengar than Substitute would. Focus Blast hits Dark Pokemon for super effective damage and (after some Pain Splits and Entry Hazard damage) allows Gengar to 2HKO Blissey. A feat unheard of for Gengar. Shadow Ball is your primary STAB attack and more or less necessary on any Gengar. Thunderbolt is a useful option for dealing with Bulky Waters.

Dark Raptor (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Fang
- Earthquake
- Sky Drop

Unfortunately, Aerodactyl has fallen to UU, so I highly recommend a replacement in the form of the aforementioned Deoxys-S set. But I will go on to rate Aerodactyl anyway. As your team stands, I would have to say that Aerodactyl should function as your lead in place of Gengar. However, you need a bit of tweaking before that can work. First, Aerodactyl likes having a Focus Sash, as it's one Pokemon that can abuse it well with it's horrid frailness and resistance to Sand storm damage. I would also like to mention that, as far as the Elemental Fang Attacks are concerned, Thunder Fang is lost on Aerodactly. Fire Fang would be the recommended attack of choice, in this case, as it can hit Ferrothorn and Forretress. But, it's kind of pointless with a lead set, as you want moves that can maximize Aerodactyl's coverage and power. Stealth Rock / Stone Edge / Earthquake / Taunt is probably the best Lead set for Aerodactyl. Also, it may not seem like Aerodactyl needs it, but a Jolly [+Speed; -Sp.Attack] is recommended to make Aerodactyl really stand out or if you're up against another Aerodactyl.

Dark Antoid (Durant) (M) @ Scope Lens
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Claw

Durant, in terms of Speed, is outclassed by many other Pokemon who break away from the Limbo Tier. While it is true that Durant does outspeed the likes of Infernape, Terrakion, and Zoroark. You do have faster options to choose from. The only thing that I like about Durant in this case, is it's ability to be a speedy sweeper, but get all the useful resistances form its Steel typing (which isn't even useful because everything Durant would be switching into OHKOs it thanks to its dreadful Defenses). Regardless, Durant has a little niche in Hone Claws / X-Scissor / Stone Edge / Baton Pass with 252 Attack/ 252 Speed / 4 HP, a Jolly Nature and a Life Orb. But even still, I'm going to recommend Weavile. Though Weavile is in UU, I think it would be a good addition to your team none the less. Besides, every Pokemon on your team has "Dark" in from of it. You might as well have a Dark Pokemon (that is *not* my reason for recommending Weavile, btw).

Weavile @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Pressure
252 Attack / 216 Speed / 40 HP
Jolly [+Speed; -Sp.Attack]
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick / Brick Break
- Ice Punch / Night Slash
- Pursuit

First, you will notice that there is not 252 EVs invested in Speed. This is because of Weavile's unique Speed tier, matched only by Swellow and Darkrai, two Pokemon you would not be seeing in a standard environment. 216 Speed EVs is just enough to outspeed Alakazam, Sceptile, an Dugtrio, all of which lack defenses and can be trapped or OHKO'd. A Choice Band set is going to bring out the best in Weavile seeing as it's base Speed stat is 125 and a base Attack stat of 120. This means, STAB Pursuit is going to wreck anything that doesn't resist it and it makes Weavile one of the best users of STAB Ice Attacks. Any Dragon Type with Outrage is going to shy away in fear of being hit by a STAB Priority Choice Boosted Ice Shard. With Pursuit, any Latios, Starmie, or Gengar will most likely be revenge killed regardless of a switch. Along with Pursuit, Weavile has at its disposal Low Kick, which offers great coverage and scores OHKOs on heavy targets like Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Heatran. The remaining moveslot is a toss up between Night Slash and Ice Punch. It should be decided according to how your team deals with ether Ice or Dark weak opponents. Both are strong STAB attacks, so the choice is yours. Other Speedy Sweepers can be Thundurus, Latios, and Archeops.

Dark Ocean (Starmie) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Natural Cure
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Surf
- Psychic
- Rapid Spin
- Thunder

Starmie is an excellent choice for this team. However, Starmie is missing something very, very important. It needs Recover. Starmie is fortunate enough to have access to it and should be abusing it unconditionally. With that in mind, Starmie would also benefit from a Life Orb, as it provides a larger boost to all of your attacks and its recoil can be healed off with ease. Because of Recover, give the extra 4 EVs to HP as opposed to Special Defense. Also, just give Starmie a Timid [+Speed; -Attack] nature. You're not going to be teaching any rational Starmie a Physical attack and it's frail enough. You really should subtract form that anymore. Thunderbolt / Hydro Pump / Recover / Rapid Spin are the only real attacks you need. I also don't think you need any Rain and Sun support on this team (which I assume is the reason for Thunder unless you've had obsceneproblems with Jellicent) but we'll get to that later.

DarkWildVine (Whimsicott) (M) @ Quick Claw
Trait: Chlorophyll
- Substitute
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- U-turn

First, Whimsicott gets Prankster. Prankster raises the Speed priority of non-attack moves. This is the Ability that would foil your entire team and Whimsicott has access to it, but you're not using it? You should, but, this is all besides the point. I have been learning more and more about Whimsicott lately. The more I learn, the more I like it. The more I like it, the more I believe that it is not user friendly to newer battlers. For now, I highly suggest you replace Whimsicott with a different Prankster user and give that a solid test run. Tornadus and Thundurus are your best options, both with a base Speed stat of 111. I'm going to recommend a Thundurus set for you, by no means feel obligated to us it. Whimsicott is an excellent Pokemon, I just don't see it benefiting your team without Prankster or with Sunny Day.

Thundurus @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Prankster
252 Special Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Defense
Timid [+Speed; -Attack]
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Thundurus could easily be one of the most dangerous Special Sweepers on your team if you choose to use it. After a Nasty Plot, (even with a Timid nature) you're looking at a Special Attack of 698. Which is madness. Thunderbolt is going to wreck things in a big way. Earning you a OHKO on the most Specially Defensive Jellicent in existence. HP [Ice] hits everything (Dragon, Ground, Grass) that resists Thunderbolt, making the a near perfect combination to hit everything barring Magnezone. Focus Blast fixes that. Focus Blast gives you the power you need to take down serious defensive threats like Ferrothorn, and Blissey, and allows you to take down Tyranitar, a serious problem for Thundurus because of its high Special Defense, typing that resists Thunderbolt, and the ability to hit back with crazy STAB Stone Edges. EVs are standard for any Special Sweeper. With no investment, Thundurus's HP is 299, the magic number for the Life Orb, so the remaining 4 should go into Defense or Special Defense. Modest [+Special Attack; -Attack] is not advised because Thundurus needs to outspeed everything it can due to its fragility. Life Orb is preferred, but the Lum Berry can be used to prevent crippling status effects like Paralysis which destroys Thundurus.

Dark Thunder (Jolteon) (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Quick Feet
EVs: 168 SAtk / 88 SDef / 252 Spd
- Rain Dance
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Well, the way you described Jolteon as supporting Starmie, I don't think it's really doing that with Quick Feet. Volt Absorb is going to allow Jolteon to literally absorb Electric type attacks aimed at Starmie. Besides, Jolteon already has Quick Feet, right? Anyway, Air Balloon can work, but Choice Specs are going to let Jolteon perform well. Your team, and Jolteon for that matter, don't really need Rain support. Your EV Spread is also a little off, maybe try a standard set like 252 Sp.Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Sp.Defense. But besides that, I would like to recommend Volt Switch, which in tandem with the Choice Specs makes Jolteon not only powerful, but more strategic. Since Ran Dance is not longer in the picture, Thunder should be replaced with the more reliable Thunderbolt. But that's really up to you.

From what I've been able to tell about your team, as it stood before my suggestions, seemed to have no outstanding weakness and resisted everything by 50% except Rock type attacks. So good job! I hope this was useful for you. If you ever need help with replacing a Pokemon on your team or competitive battling in general feel free to ask one of the raters or post your questions in the Q&A Sticky at the top of the forum.

Good luck to you! :>

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
To simplify what Alexial said, while adding on my own:

Gengar is too frail for a support role and is better at screwing over opponents and hitting them hard:
-Substitute
-Disable/Pain Split
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

Use Deoxys-S instead of Aerodactyl as your lead.

If you're intending to use Durant, use this instead to take advantage of Hustle:
-Hone Claws
-X-Scissor
-Stone Edge
-Iron Head/Thunder Fang/Baton Pass
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Hustle

Or you can use Scizor, who has a lot more bulk than Durant:
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn
-Superpower/Brick Break
-Pursuit/Quick Attack
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Technician

You can replace Jolteon with Thundurus, since the latter outclasses the former, despite being slower:
-Nasty Plot
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Taunt/Focus Blast/Thunder Wave
Item: Life Orb

Use Prankster on Whimsicott, since it has a huge support movepool to take advantage of it:
-Encore
-Leech Seed
-Substitute/U-turn
-Stun Spore/Taunt
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Prankster

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Gengar is too frail for a support role and is better at screwing over opponents and hitting them hard:
-Substitute
-Disable/Pain Split
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

DISABLE! I knew I was forgetting something! Thank you for covering this PlatinumDude. :>

While Pain Split is good because it provides Gengar with a semi-reliable recovery move, Disable can make Gengar a serious threat. It probably one of Gengar's most potent movesets when used correctly. With precise timing and prediction, (and Disable's upgrade to a 100% accurate move) you can really use Disable to exploit Gengar's innate advantages. This set is basically great for dealing with Sweepers, specifically, Pursuit users. So, you Substitute to avoid a super effective attacks, then corner them with Disable, making them, well.. unable to attack Gengar with that same super effective attack. This chiefly counters sweepers like Gliscor and Landorus (and Conkeldurr, granted it doesn't have Stone Edge). However, I would like to mention that Leftovers is the item of choice for this set. Between Sand and other passive damage dealers, the Life Orb is going to whittle away at Gengar very quickly. Since it has such great neutral coverage, Leftovers will be best for conserving Gengar's HP so you can keep Substituting and Disabling.

Woo.. I got a little carried away explaining that. .__.; But yeah, this should definitely be considered at the very least. Like I said, Pain Split and Thunderbolt are good, but when used correctly, Disable can be better. It is situational though, so you're going to need to find out what works best for your team.

Good luck!

Back