• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mahjong

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Being new to the game (the Japanese version at that, but we can discuss all versions here) I wanted to know if anyone here played, and thought this place could do with a mahjong thread since searching suggests there never has been one. Maybe we could all learn something, it's rather a difficult game.

So, if there's anyone out there, fire away!

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
I used to really enjoy playing that game online haha. I couldn't figure out any of the puzzles beyond the easiest level, MAYBE the second easiest if I was lucky. Even though I'm terrible at Mahjong I still enjoy playing it.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Just like Snowdrop mentioned, I tried to play the game but couldn't figure out how to play. I still want to learn how to play the game. I want to have basic knowledge in all board games, and card games.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I used to really enjoy playing that game online haha. I couldn't figure out any of the puzzles beyond the easiest level, MAYBE the second easiest if I was lucky. Even though I'm terrible at Mahjong I still enjoy playing it.
Puzzles?

Just like Snowdrop mentioned, I tried to play the game but couldn't figure out how to play. I still want to learn how to play the game. I want to have basic knowledge in all board games, and card games.
I've learned what I know from the following videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh0brmqq4sk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7o0MWZOQ38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edopjH6V9l8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-GV4GVvFGc

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I only know the basics of Chinese Mahjong. I don't know any of those special combos that make absolutely no sense if you don't understand the meaning behind each tile. I think I also know a little bit about Japanese Mahjong by noticing the differences between Japanese and Chinese Mahjong. I'm just assuming some of the rules of Japanese Mahjong from watching other people play.

Correct me if I'm wrong but do you use something called Riichi in Japanese Mahjong when you are in tenpai and it acts as some sort of multiplier when you obtain a winning hand?

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I used to play something on the Master System, for which I know quite a bit about Japanese Mahjong. I know some of the special hands, like buried treasure, 13 orphans, 9 gates etc. The Dora, is quite useful in Japanese Mahjong, and that is what I go for, if I have 2 tiles that match the showing tile in the wall.

Correct me if I'm wrong but do you use something called Riichi in Japanese Mahjong when you are in tenpai and it acts as some sort of multiplier when you obtain a winning hand?

Yes, Riichi is used in Japanese Mahjong, and I think it either doubles your value or adds another point to your score. I've rarely played Riichi, because I usually get Pungs/Kongs to help my hand quite a bit.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
probably mistook mahjong for mahjong titans/solitaire

god bless, I'll be watching this, it's difficult to learn the rules by reading.

Unless you already know it, you should learn/play Go as well. Very simple, but still challenging and fun. Can have surprising outcomes.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
probably mistook mahjong for mahjong titans/solitaire

god bless, I'll be watching this, it's difficult to learn the rules by reading.

Unless you already know it, you should learn/play Go as well. Very simple, but still challenging and fun. Can have surprising outcomes.

I've always wanted to try playing Go but I am terrible at learning new games like this :c Heck I don't even know how to play chess which is horrible to admit..

Same with Majong.. wouldn't even know how to approach playing it.

Back