• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
  • The screen is wider than the average book page; in a book you can easily see when a new paragraph is by the indent, but on the forums the screen is so wide you don't even notice.
  • The forums can't indent.

Yes they can.​

The bbcode is [indent] [/indent]

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Yes they can.​

The bbcode is [indent] [/indent]

Unfortunately, this indents the entire paragraph, not just the first line (a la book). Therefore, it will not be a good idea to use this code due to the fact that varying screen resolutions make it impossible to judge when the first line will end for everyone and the somewhat murderous urges of some of your reviewers.

In other words, it's a lot like blockquoting an entire chapter while thinking that the code will enable you to indent a paragraph properly (as in, how it's done in printed work). That will not make your readers very happy.

KaraC

Champion Wannabe
Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2011
Is there a character archive for all the characters created for the RP's? If so, where? If not, why?

ChrisTom

With all regards,
Years
Alright, so I'm not a good titler and wanted to know what you guys might think a good title would be for my new one shot. Whoever has the best title will get full credit.

The story revolves around Ash and how several events happened differently in Episode 39.

Pikachu dies and Ash has gone slightly insane. He is in a Psychiatric ward and is found constantly staring at a Pikachu doll. When he stares at it he thinks he is elsewhere.

So what do you think would be a good title for that?

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Alright, so I'm not a good titler and wanted to know what you guys might think a good title would be for my new one shot. Whoever has the best title will get full credit.

The story revolves around Ash and how several events happened differently in Episode 39.

Pikachu dies and Ash has gone slightly insane. He is in a Psychiatric ward and is found constantly staring at a Pikachu doll. When he stares at it he thinks he is elsewhere.

So what do you think would be a good title for that?
Psychosis Syndrome. or something a long the lines of that.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Well, what exactly is wrong with Ash? Is he just "insane" in a very broad sense, or have you actually picked out a mental illness or syndrome and keeping within the range of its symptoms? If it's the latter - like I strongly advice it should be - you could try to make up something with the illness' name. You could also try to use his symptoms to figure out a good title. Like, if he hallucinates a lot, you could use that. Like, say "dream adventures" or something along those lines. You can also try to make a pun of his name. He's "Ash", and ash is something that is left behind when something burns out. You could then go for something like "Burnout Psychosis" or "Ashes of a Mind" or something like that. You can also use a specific event or theme from the fic to make up a title for it; something the reader will fully understand only after having read the whole thing.

It's hard to make titles, but it's even harder for us when we have no idea what the prominent themes and/or the events and plot in your fic are. We can give you tips, but in the end, it's still best if you make up the name yourself.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
Years
^ ^ ^

Well if anything I guess it would be called "Grief induced Schizophrenia" or maybe "Severe Grief indeced trauma". Immediately after Pikachu's death he fainted and the next month was a blur. He wakes up in his room later having no memory of the event. His Mom explains the death, and for the next 3 months he becomes very kept to himself. There was no service. Ash stayed in his room and started regressing. He became more and more non-verbal, only occasionally speaking. He talked to himself and tried to relive happy moments with Pikachu. Throughout his self isolation became more and more regressed. He tried to relive through Pikachu by occasionally muttering to himself "Pika Pika" in his imaginary conversations. About 1 week before the end of the story he finds a doll of a Pikachu. Whenever he stands from it he has delusions of him being with Pikachu again and them having fun and adventures together.

This fanfic was actually based off of a drawing I found online.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
^ ^ ^

Well if anything I guess it would be called "Grief induced Schizophrenia" or maybe "Severe Grief indeced trauma". Immediately after Pikachu's death he fainted and the next month was a blur. He wakes up in his room later having no memory of the event. His Mom explains the death, and for the next 3 months he becomes very kept to himself. There was no service. Ash stayed in his room and started regressing. He became more and more non-verbal, only occasionally speaking. He talked to himself and tried to relive happy moments with Pikachu. Throughout his self isolation became more and more regressed. He tried to relive through Pikachu by occasionally muttering to himself "Pika Pika" in his imaginary conversations. About 1 week before the end of the story he finds a doll of a Pikachu. Whenever he stands from it he has delusions of him being with Pikachu again and them having fun and adventures together.

This fanfic was actually based off of a drawing I found online.
Umm, there is a way for you to quote people like I just did. Use the button that says quote post down there or use multiquote on selected posts and click post reply.

Anyway, I thought you might find this useful.
http://www.recover-from-grief.com/7-stages-of-grief.html

And you might want to use Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder(PSTD) instead because it sounds more believable. You may also want to check with the artist of the drawing and see if (s)he isn't already writing a fic of his own. Some people actually derive fics from their own artwork and you could check to see that you won't be accused of plagiarism.

One last thing, a bold topic based of an actual question I have rather than a passing, random idea.
How do you use the indefinite article 'a' when referring to acronyms that are pronounced differently from their longer counterparts?

For example, would you put 'a' or 'an' ME (Medical Emergency). Since ME could be pronounced as em-ee, which would require an 'an', or medical emergency, which uses an 'a'. Remember that this is in narrative and not in dialogue.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
How do you use the indefinite article 'a' when referring to acronyms that are pronounced differently from their longer counterparts?

Regardless of whether it's written or spoken, articles are completely dependent on phonetic-based rules. That is, if saying the word aloud makes it sound like it starts with a vowel, then you precede it with "an." Consonant sound at the beginning, precede it with "a." And these rules aren't affected by whether you're talking or whether you're writing. So, even if that's an M at the beginning of "M.E.," you'd still use "an" if you pronounce it "em-ee," even if you're just writing it and not speaking it.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Anyone got any advice for me when pairing up an OC with a IC in fanfiction on Yu-Gi-Oh?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Anyone got any advice for me when pairing up an OC with a IC in fanfiction on Yu-Gi-Oh?

Study the canon character.

All too often, I see kids who just want to create an OC (usually a Mary Sue) to pair off with their favorite characters because they can't actually date the guy. This is, in fact, a terrible habit to get into because it just doesn't make for great stories. You end up character raping the canon character, meaning he (or she) goes out of his/her way to act in ways that are definitely not them just for the sake of their ~*~TRUE LOVE~*~ for the OC. As a result, the story becomes predictable and sappy (because these kinds of stories tend to follow stock storylines that revolve around how the canon character wants to make the OC the center of his/her universe), and for anyone else who's a fan of the canon character who gets paired off, it's rather painful to watch.

Once you get the canon character down with some semblance of accuracy (as in, in a way that doesn't completely rape the character in question), take Giratina's advice. An OCxCC fic is exactly like any other romance fic you could possibly write, but be warned that you'll usually have to put some extra effort into making it a well-written story (i.e., you'll have to put a lot of care into developing the plot/characters and into proofreading) to avoid making people think that it's just another Sue fic.

Good luck.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
...Yo FF lounge ._. I know advertising doesn't make a very good first impression, but I just found this site and thought to post the link: Pokemon Fanfiction.com. Seems like a nice format for fics and all that, also small and well-organized. So, uh. Join?

---

I've been crazy about writing fanfiction lately and I don't really know why. Practice for serious writing, I guess...? Also, writing cracky crossovers for fun. x3 A friend and I are obsessing over this one plotbunny for a Pokemon/Loveless crossover which replaces the catpeople with Pokemon gijinkas and the fights with Pokemon battles. Thoughts?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
...Yo FF lounge ._. I know advertising doesn't make a very good first impression, but I just found this site and thought to post the link: Pokemon Fanfiction.com. Seems like a nice format for fics and all that, also small and well-organized. So, uh. Join?

I've joined when it first opened up, but honestly, I never really felt compelled to post my stuff there. I know it's still fairly new and all, but there doesn't seem to be much in terms of a community there. The way it's formatted is a lot like Fanfiction.net with only one fandom, the only reviewers there post one-liners (and have only reviewed a handful of stories), and there really isn't a place where people can communicate. I know that FFNet probably had a new period, too, but what allowed it to grow beyond the empty phase is:

1. Lack of competition.
2. The fact that it was open to practically every fandom.

So, you could really go there and find basically whatever you wanted in one neat site.

Don't get me wrong. This site's a good idea (and is, in fact, probably better than The Pokemon Tower on virtue of a better submission system alone). I just feel like it's really missing something that would make me want to put my stuff there. That something's probably just a reviewer-base, but I feel like, in general, it's just empty. You'd think that after almost half a year of existing, they'd find a way to make it look less like the site's dead. Even just an occasional update, you know? Or maybe a forum for us to go and talk to each other? Or, you know, maybe reviews here and there to show us that we won't just be ignored in a tiny little corner of the internet if we post our stuff there? I don't know.

Long story short, yeah, I knew about that place for awhile, but it's so empty I never really wanted to set up camp there. (Yes, yes, I know a community can't happen until one participates, but still.) Heck, I'm not even sure if some of the writers -- especially the ones who have only posted one fic -- would even notice if I sat down and reviewed them.

Also, I was never fond of the star rating system. Just... no.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 4, 2011
Hey dudes and dudettes!

What is the standard for PCs fanfiction section? How comfortable should we be with our work before submitting completed work for review (as opposed to posting ideas in the lounge)? I mean its obvious we should get it the best we can, review it ourself, rid any mistakes, but how comfortable should we be in our own skill?

I have a Prologue, and I am working on a first chapter. But I don't know if the writing is up to standard. I would post it, but the prologue is a little out of context if you haven't read the first chapter (it's like... before the beginning of the story kind of thing).

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Honestly, I'd say you should be as comfortable as you can be. It's more along the lines of something you can gauge for yourself, but if it helps, FF&W is meant to be a writing community. That means members are really expected to trade tips and tricks and help each other out because, well, we're supposed to be friendly and awesome to each other. So, I'd say just post it. The worst we'll probably do is offer you tips to help you improve what you've got, and if anyone gets snarky and mean about it, someone else will usually pounce on them.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
Years
YOO! Im back from the dead! I have 2 bad news and 2 good news, bad news is Some one deleted all my work, so I have to completly restart from scratch, good news is my shorts stories havent, and I saved 50 bucks on my car insurance by switching to Geicho.

Last edited:

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
Wow, its been a whole month, and this thread has moved 1/2 a page? what happened to the 1/2 page in 1/2 a minute?

Well anyways I am not so busy with college this week so I deiced to visit my old hang out spot, except that it is a little more baron than I remember it to be.

I saved 50 bucks on my car insurance by switching to Geicho.

I saved about $1,200 by staying with Progressive. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back